Vertex Pharmaceuticals Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.4
Vertex Pharmaceuticals CEO Jeffrey Leiden, M.D., Ph.D
Jeffrey Leiden, M.D., Ph.D
  1. Featured Review

"Best Company I've Ever Worked for"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Culture, and time off are all outstanding. Company is constantly doing surveys to see how they could improve life for their employees. They are generous and appreciate hard work. Everyone is passionate and driven. I've had 5 different managers since I started here and they've all been amazing. I love everyone I work with and I couldn't be happier. I feel blessed to be working here.

Cons

I agree with some that HR often searches outside the company for new hires instead of hiring from within. But, they've recently stated that they are going to be offering more trainings to current employees so they can hire and promote from within whenever possible. I believe they will do that.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2019-06-11
  2. "Great company"

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Work with great, intelligent people; generally informal attitude makes approaching management easy; good compensation and benefits

Cons

It's been a few years since I left, I can't really recall any

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2015-08-18
  3. "Research Scientist II"

Current Employee - Research Scientist II in Abingdon, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Salary, benefits, science, working atmosphere, people

Cons

The rigid separation of scientific groups without the chance of overlapping

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2019-08-15

"Great comp & bens, hell after a few months"

Former Employee - Administrative Associate IV in Paddington, England

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great onboarding for new employees Salary and benefits (which is the only reason people start/stay) Great office location Usually some type of BS campaign being held every week, free food.

Cons

Senior management appear to lack basic communication skills. (My team were called in for a "team update" when a co-worker had been fired, it was extremely uncomfortable) Bullying is rife and goes unchecked, across more than just my dept and across all levels. Admins are expected to do way above the norm by working many long hours! **NB although if you have the right Manager you can also get away with doing the... bare minimum, enabling you to take as many smoke breaks outside when you want, 2hr lunches plus extra long coffee breaks, can also farm out your duties to other admins (got to be in the know though) If you aren't up to the job, you're shown the door very quickly (no coaching or support given) Promotions are generally only given to "favourites" no matter how hard you work, or length of service. During my service I saw countless numbers of people leave, both pushed and jumped, but nothing is ever addressed, so you either like it or lump it!

Advice to Management

See above

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2019-08-29

"beware of the execs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, England

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

great science, dedicated workforce and good salaries/stock options

Cons

selfindulged executives that act as if they care but pocket millions. Scientists are frantically searching for new leads as CSO comes up with nothing but nonsense.

Advice to Management

get lost

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2019-02-01
  6. "Regulatory Affairs"

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Good pay and office location

Cons

Disconnect with US management and leadership

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2018-12-17

"Regulatory Affairs"

Former Employee - Regulatory Affairs Officer in Abingdon, England

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

good strategies, interesting pipeline, potential for growth

Cons

Autonony and dominance in regulatory affairs team (EU office) , lack of mentorship and guidance, weak HR presence

Advice to Management

I worked in regulatory affairs in Oxfordshire, UK. EU regulatory affairs team was dominated by two senior members only, favouritism over professionslim. I suffered depression and anxiety as a result of unfair treatment and HR did very little to help. I hope that senior management could monitor global offices and prevent certain individuals from autonomy and bullying. In my experience, US team is very efficient and... productive but EU was very fragmented and disorganised. I hope Vertex can prevent bullying and dominance in thier Europran office.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2017-04-11

"Ask good questions at interview"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oxford, England

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really great science in challenging disease areas. Colleagues are highly trained and work hard under considerable time pressure. Growing company which can be an energising environment.

Cons

Deadlines for delivering work are usually unrealistic. Very fearful culture, with senior management pressing for results urgently, whether or not this is required. Values include "We wins", although the fear that project Leaders have that they will be berated by senior managers makes it a very uncollaborative environment.

Advice to Management

Manage projects better with a good understanding of risk and real deadlines incorporated into a solid plan. Support staff to perform at their best with a meaningful dialogue regarding deliverables and deadlines. Do fewer early stage projects.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2016-09-27
  9. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Scientist I

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Exciting projects, and unique culture.

Cons

Things can often be in "panic mode" and long hours are common.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2015-07-17

"Going at 90mph is exhilarating but will break you down"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Benefits, resources, cafeteria. Seaport is tricky commute but they help with lots of options. Tries to be progressive and modern. Incredibly smart, talented and hard working scientists. Collaborative and friendly people. The science is fast and free flowing. Good culture and values EXCEPT work/life balance.

Cons

Speed and burnout culture. 50-60hrs every week is almost standard among scientists. Pay seems good but calculate the $/hr and it's actually not very competitive at all. Almost no technicians/associates so most people will be toiling in the lab while a select few (usually white men) will be plucked into leadership/visibility roles. Pace often results in the fast thing being done over the smart/long term/careful thing... such as brute force experiments. They are super proud of diversity numbers but closer inspection it's all at the lower levels; project/senior leaders are almost exclusively white and mostly male. Overall, it often feels like a well paid postdoc, scientifically rewarding but a pyramid scheme based on burnout, privilege, networking and luck.

Advice to Management

Pace is often great but stop fetishizing it above everything and recognize the cult of "pace" has costs too. You cannot simultaneously say you value diversity and all people but then rig your system so the best (only?) way to succeed is for research scientists to work a 60 hour week (which favors men and young single people). Good ideas and decisions do not come from exhausted, rushed, overstretched scientists.... Diversity is not something to be proud about if it means your white male research "Rock Stars" are built on the backs of underappreciated minorities and women.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2019-11-09