Viki Reviews

Updated 16 May 2020

4.5
Viki CEO Sam Wu
Sam Wu
Pros
  • "People are friendly and open to sharing their wealth of knowledge with you so you'll have the opportunity to learn alot(in 5 reviews)

• " free lunch (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "No cons while I was working there(in 4 reviews)

• "Having multiple offices split by time zones breeds a lot of mistrust between engineers and US-based employees(in 4 reviews)

1. "Best company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Controller

I have been working at Viki full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Viki has an outstanding culture; smart & friendly people, great perks such as free lunches, snacks and parties, open door policy, responsive management

Cons

As the company is rather small, there's not a defined career ladder.

Viki2020-05-17

"Talented People, Great Engineering Culture"

Former Employee - Product Management in Singapore
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Viki full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My four years at Viki was an amazing experience for me, where I got to work with an amazing team of talented people. Everyone was genuinely friendly to one other, and I have seen lasting friendships made and continued, even as people leave the company and new people come in. I am very proud of the engineering culture we have jointly created over the last four years, where people were straightforward, direct and passionate with one another when there were disagreements, but never political. I have also seen Viki grow from a virtual unknown in the Singapore tech scene to a place where people wanted to come work because the word on the street was that we had a great engineering culture. Working at Viki was also very empowering, as employees were often encouraged to try out new ideas. Sometimes that may have resulted in a bit of "controlled chaos", but working at Viki (at least in the Singapore office) you always felt that your opinion was being heard. We also had ample opportunity to work with and leverage resources from our Rakuten corporate parent, which is nice. Viki is like a startup with a startup culture, but with the financial backing and stability of the Rakuten group. Lastly, we had a kickass product vision that really clearly states the reason why we exist: " Spreading the joy of Asian entertainment to the world."

Cons

Viki had 4 CEOs in 4 years, which made it extremely difficult to create a consistent and sustained company vision and strategy. Strategic pivots oftentimes came fast and furious, which while we tried our best to understand and execute on, did cause a bit of whiplash among the team. Career development opportunities within the organization were minimal. Compensation & benefits were below market average. The HR function (outside of recruitment, which was fantastic) was close to non-existent. While the overall engineering culture was great, I feel that that within the product and engineering organization teams can further improve and foster better cross-team collaboration and to tear down castle walls. There is a well known product saying where organizations tend to "ship your org chart", and it's never clearer that is what was happening at Viki.

Viki2020-04-02
  3. "Great"

Former Employee - Part-time Translator in Singapore

I worked at Viki part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good chance to gain some experience and pocket money when I was still a student

Cons

No cons while I was working there

Viki2020-03-31
  4. "Initially a good start up"

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Singapore

I worked at Viki full-time for more than a year

Pros

Open culture and good talents at its early stage

Cons

Unclear company direction and vision

Viki2020-02-28
  5. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Viki full-time

Pros

- Very interesting product - Very nice, talented coworkers - Down to earth leadership - Amazing potential - Under Rakuten umbrella = startup & benefits

Cons

- None so far. Too much potential, too little time.

Viki2020-01-23

"Exhausting, Soul-draining, Unfulfilling"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Viki full-time for more than a year

Pros

Since Drama Fever closed, Viki has seen excellent subscriber growth. Although it was once fairly unstable, it's now in a much better place financially. Below leadership, Viki has a lot of really smart, driven, and friendly employees. There's somewhat of a family environment, although it can feel like a clique to a new employee. Because Viki is so unorganized, it can be a good environment for developing one's skill set or trying out new things.

Cons

If you looked up "tech bro" in a dictionary, Sam Wu's picture would accompany the definition. Sam lead Viki's finance department before becoming CEO, but you'd never guess he had a job that involved human interaction judging by his cold, lifeless personality. Small talk with Sam is so painful it borders on cringe-worthy. As a result, he devotes zero effort into getting to know his direct reports or trying to help them succeed. One of his first moves as CEO was to lay off the entire marketing and programming teams because he thought their jobs were nothing more than "Tweeting for a living". Even before he fired them, he took money from their budgets to give his finance team better compensation and openly insulted the intellect of the teams' members. Sam values data and engineering, but looks down on all other teams in the company. He also openly refers to Korean dramas as "romantic garbage" and makes fun of people who watch them, so it's pretty ironic that a genre he despises so much has been writing his paychecks for over 5 years. Sam's toxic mentality has leaked down into the rest of the company. Most people who joined Viki out of a personal interest in spreading Korean and Chinese television across the globe have either been fired or left, and most people with strong skill sets quickly moved on to better-paying companies. Company outings are rare and feel like a forced way to make people feel better about all of the changes. People on Sam's finance team are allowed to run wild, getting away with otherwise unacceptable behavior like hiring their boyfriends/girlfriends as interns or taking additional PTO without giving any notice or reporting it in the system. Viki is also just generally unorganized. Having multiple offices split by time zones breeds a lot of mistrust between engineers and US-based employees. In the US, teams are very territorial out of fear that someone might expose a small mistake they made to Sam, so collaboration is rare. Above all, Viki just doesn't innovate anymore. Even as its community of unpaid translators grows smaller and smaller, no one on leadership has a clear direction of what Viki's next move will be in an increasingly competitive streaming environment. They're all just really thankful that Drama Fever died before Viki did. Sam could of course solve some of these problems himself, but is too disinterested in anything besides short-term subscriber growth to bother trying. Viki's pay is significantly lower than the Silicon Valley average, but for a while it took advantage of the fact that its employees worked there out of personal interest and were willing to be paid less for their dream job. After firing so many people, it now has more budget to pay finance and data positions a more competitive wage. Other departments still remain below the market rate. Rakuten is also a nightmare of a parent company, but there's plenty already written about that on their Glassdoor page.

Viki2020-01-14
  7. "Great Place"

I worked at Viki full-time

Pros

People, Culture , Room for growth

Cons

Doesnt really have one.

Viki2020-01-08
  8. "Great"

Former Employee - Devops Engineer in Singapore
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Viki full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly, talented people and great perks

Cons

Not the best training program

Viki2020-01-02

"Great place to work with the be"

Current Employee - Manager in Singapore

I have been working at Viki full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smart, driven and kind people, working together in a culture of experimentation that puts us ahead of the curve. I have been working at Viki for over 5 years and I have loved every minute. I'm always learning something new and applying it to my day to day. Viki is a place that lets you grow your career, but it takes hard work and motivation to make it happen.

Cons

There is limited growth potential inside the company as we are a small and lean organization, but that doesn't mean anyone's time is wasted here. We move fast!

Viki2019-09-17

"Great environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Singapore

I have been working at Viki full-time

Pros

Challenging work, good benefits, good career growth

Cons

None that I can think of right now

Viki2019-09-12