Viking Cruises Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 10 Nov 2019

2.6
Viking Cruises CEO Torstein Hagen
Torstein Hagen
Pros
  • "Great benefits, friendly work staff, management is strict but fair(in 23 reviews)

• "Free coffee, parking and a nice corporate office building(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "Micro Management but understandable(in 16 reviews)

• "New call center opened in August brought some employees from LA office and then other supervisors from AZ or American(in 15 reviews)

"Great job"

Former Employee - Cruise Consultant in London, England

I worked at Viking Cruises full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly environment great salary fam trips

Cons

Working weekends and evenings. Very strict policies.

Viking Cruises2019-09-20

"Miss the clowns but not the circus"

Current Employee - Cruise Consultant in Wimbledon, England

I have been working at Viking Cruises full-time for more than a year

Pros

1. Good commission if you cheat the system. 2. Nice office. 3. Some lovely people

Cons

1. Extreme micro-management and bullying culture. 2. Strong sense of favouritism from management. 3. Very cliquey and too much gossip from senior-management down to the sales-floor.

Advice to Management

Stop this ridiculous conversion based system. It doesn’t work and people know how to cheat the system. Although favourites will be allowed to continue and a blind eye will be turned in order to fulfil managements pay-package. Stop bullying people out of the door. If you want them to leave then allow them to leave professionally rather than employing scare-mongering tactics.

Viking Cruises2019-10-17
  3. "Good place to start"

Former Employee - Head Waiter

I worked at Viking Cruises full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pretty easy job compare to rest of lines

Cons

Lower salaries than the rest

Viking Cruises2019-07-25

"Aviod"

Current Employee - Guest Service Agent

I have been working at Viking Cruises full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

None at all to be honest

Cons

Loads and far too many

Viking Cruises2019-08-27
  5. "Good Money"

Current Employee - Cruise Consultant
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Viking Cruises full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good money good company .

Cons

micro management on large scale. always scared for job

Advice to Management

invest in the people rather than make them constantly fear for the job.

Viking Cruises2019-04-07
  6. "Deliver the wow service"

Waiter in Oxford, England

I have been working at Viking Cruises for more than 8 years

Pros

Good company and highly paid

Cons

Want to experience new and i will give best

Viking Cruises2018-07-01
  7. "Cruise Consultant"

Cruise Consultant in London, England

I have been working at Viking Cruises for more than 3 years

Pros

Sometimes the money. Now they are making harder and harder to pay you a little bit more.

Cons

Terrible management. Unfair office. Bully.

Advice to Management

Change the management. People with zero people skills, people with no management experience. Open your minds.

Viking Cruises2018-07-04
  8. "great job"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Viking Cruises part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

i love everything abuout it

Cons

no cons at great job to work for

Viking Cruises2019-11-07

"The Air Department is low pressure because there are no sales goals but there is extreme micro-management"

Former Employee - Air Planning Adviaor in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Viking Cruises full-time for more than a year

Pros

Low stress. Great benefits (free). Great location

Cons

Management sucks. Too much micro-management. The manager of the Air Department is super petty and has a horrible personality.

Advice to Management

Get a new manager for the Air Department and pay some sort of bonus to the APA's

Viking Cruises2019-10-07
  10. "A Culture of fear."

Former Employee - Software Developer in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Viking Cruises full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, thats is it.

Cons

Extreme use of Agile Scrum

Advice to Management

Where do I begin? After getting hired as an engineer at Viking in Woodland Hills, CA. I noticed some odd behavior from the start which continued upon my departure. 1.) First and foremost there is no on-boarding process that would help new employees learn the existing code-base. You will sink or swim based on your ability to reverse-engineer the code within a short time. 2.) Without an on-boarding process..., what's left is only the philosophy of throwing you to the wolves and then wondering why you are taking too long to finish a task. 3.) There are no project kickoff meetings where you will get a clear picture of upcoming work to be done. 4.) There are no architecture design reviews after viewing upcoming features to define how the team should create tech solutions which would aid in the development process. 5.) You are quickly thrown under the bus if you are unable to complete your tasks as opposed to identifying ways to assist you so that you can be successful. 6.) Agile is taken to the extreme at the Woodland Hills location. You are given 5 minutes to point a task (1, 3, 5, 8) based on what you guess the complexity is. By the way, 5 minutes is not enough to gauge many of tasks presented to you. 7.) Backlog grooming lasted for over 4 hours, sometimes longer due to the sheer number of tasks which they did not properly plan for. 8.) Tasks that had already been completed were added back to the list of things to do. The reason: They kept getting redesign requests for page components. This was done under the unrealistic deadline that was given to the project. 9.) You are not rewarded for the quality of your work. You are only rewarded for how fast you can crank out a hack solution that only works for one scenario. If you're lucky enough to get a large number of hack solutions across the line, you are regarded as an office hero. 10.) If you are not working fast enough, your work will be taken away from you and given to other members on the team, even if you have finished a working solution for your task. If it's not checked in with a completed code review when they ask for a status update, they will take your work and give it to another developer and give credit to said developer for your work. I'm not joking about this. 11.) Another terrible aspect of this department is an extreme emphasis on how many points you completed during the previous day. They expect you to complete 8 or more points per day. Mind you, these points are very inaccurate in terms of assessing many of the tasks. For example, you might point a task as a 3 but quickly balloons out of control into what could be considered an 8. Even if you explain this to management, the task will not be reevaluated and pointed higher for fear of blowing up the sprint. You will now be held liable for that task in addition to the other points you committed to completing for the sprint. Also, there were many cases when a low pointed task's acceptance criteria was changed, making it much more complex yet, you are still liable for completing said task without it being increased in terms of points assigned. This is hands down the most stressful work environment that I have ever worked in. I dreaded going to work everyday and suffered from stomach cramps and other physical discomfort after my third month working there. They best thing that happened to me at Viking was leaving never looking back. Even without being employed, I experienced happiness for the first time in months! Being unemployed was preferable to working another day in that department. My advice to anyone looking to work as a developer at this location would be to look elsewhere. Unless you enjoy any of the things I mentioned in my review you would be wise to stay away. My advice to management: Adopt a better process where employees are set up for success and look forward to coming into work. Treat employees with respect and provide a way for them to be more productive. Do not use fear as a weapon to encourage employees to perform. Use Agile as a game from which your employees are encouraged to perform, not as a tool to get rid of them. Don't allow your engineering department to become a culture of fear. What I have observed is management is willing to throw you under the bus to save themselves from losing their jobs. The leadership for the engineering teams lead by instilling fear in their direct reports which trickles down to the engineers.

Viking Cruises2019-11-03