Virgin Atlantic Airways Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1
Virgin Atlantic Airways Chief Executive Officer Craig Kreeger
Craig Kreeger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • And the travel benefits are unmatched (in 14 reviews)

• Fun spirit of company; Opportunity for career development; Great CEO; Brilliant Flight benefits; profit sharing; (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • I decided to leave Virgin Atlantic for many reasons, but mostly because I felt undervalued and ignored by cabin crew management (in 6 reviews)

• Senior cabin crew role made redundant, made to take a pay drop of nearly (in 5 reviews)

"A nice place to work, but feels like it's getting worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I have been working at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people - Virgin is proud of its record of recruiting good, customer-focused people, and generally succeeds. this goes from the top down, senior management are approachable, friendly, warm. It's a great bunch to work with through the organisation. The working environment is generally pretty positive at HQ, although I hear much less positive things from the frontline. Both main offices are really nice, modern, good workspaces etc with table tennis tables and soft chill out areas etc. Worklife balance is mostly good and offices usually almost empty shortly after 6pm. And you get to work for an amazing brand, that you can tell people you work for and get basically unquestioned jealousy! The flight perks aren't bad for creating that feeling either.

Cons

The place is changing. Five years ago longer-serving colleagues said that to me (no more parties at Richard's house etc) and I thought they were moan bags. Now I'm one of those moan bags, as VA gets more and more corporate, quietly pulls back more and more of what makes it a unique brand for customers and employees. There's been near constant org design work going on in the last 2.5 years which is draining for everyone plus awful for morale, and sometimes it feels like decisions about our proposition change who we are. The company is trying hard to be profitable and professional, but as a result is slightly losing its way on the softer stuff.

Advice to Management

Stop talking about how important engagement is, and start making the right decisions. Even the smallest of things can make a big difference to how it feels -
     why did it take nearly a year of angry signs and comms telling people not to walk into the building via the short cut way, to actually build a path to help people do it safely?

2. "Brilliant people but physically demanding & no holiday for 2 years!"

Former Employee - Cabin Crew in Heathrow, England
    Former Employee - Cabin Crew in Heathrow, England

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Virgin Atlantic was my dream job in my time of being there I met some of the most incredible people have made memories that I will cherish forever & been to some truly beautiful places. All in all as a company Virgin Atlantic is one you feel proud to work the job it self is a feel good one when your strutting though the airport in your unifrom to stepping out of the car at the gas station to fill up and turn a few heads for the first few months at Virgin I sometimes had to pinch myself at times it really feels that you are living the dream. The trainers and managers are very supportive and majority very lovely people the other crew you fly with and the pilots are what make the job Virgin worth doing they are what kept me in it for the last 7 months despite deciding that I wanted to leave very early on. Paywise yes it could be better but it is a very fair wage and with the trip allowance you wont be waiting for payday.

Cons

Very unsociable hours you will be away at least 2 days a week so if you have family or like being at home a lot and do not want to miss a birthday or wedding this is not the job for you!.. Fair enough its what we sign up for but when you do actually miss a birthday to go to Lagos its a lot harder living the reality! Oh also unless you have been there for 10 years forget about even trying to get Christmas off or any time off near it! The night flights home are exhausting you will land back and feel shattered and need to spend the day sleeping when you do get back one of the biggest things for me that contributed to me leaving the job was that in the interview we were told we could not book holiday for the first 6 months which was fair enough but then they changed it so we could not book holiday until 2019! Seriously what sort of work place doesn't let you book holiday for 2 years! Also another major factor into me leaving was that the job it self I found to be incredibly repetitive you go out with your cart clean the toilets occasionally you might have a medical incident or FSM to flight deck when an engine shuts down mid flight but for the most part you will be serving or cooking food or answering call bells most of them PAX wanting a coffee. In general the lifestyle of being cabin crew was not suitable for me a lot of the social aspect revolves around drinking down route which is all fun and good but its soon wears you down & in the long run is not the most healthy of lifestyles you will feel tiredness like you have never felt before. I really respect crew that stick it out for 5/10/20 years it is a very emotionally & physically demanding hard job.

Advice to Management

Allocate 3 days off after each flight 2 days really is not enough
    Allocate a better holiday/time off system that is like any other normal work place not all just based on seniority!

3. "Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Heathrow, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Heathrow, England

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent staff travel package, nice work environment and lovely colleagues.

Cons

Management too removed from the staff, need to be more transparent and open.
    Trying to get annual leave can be a bit of a nightmare!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more.
    Look at the allocation of annual leave processes

"The idea is great but the company is not"

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways part-time

Pros

The proudness you feel from putting on the red uniform is amazing the initial buzz is great

Cons

The management are horrendous. No direction or support. If you don't fit into their idea then your not worth a dime and they will do everything they can to manage you out. Pay is shocking and the benefits arnt great. They keep you on seasonal contracts and renew them so you have no rights and they can drop you like a hat. Everyone is so clicky and they have no true room for progression. Nothing like the picture it's made out to be. There's no compassion or empathy if they don't like you they will manage you out.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the micro managing staff who are full of their own self importance. Try to educate your management on how to look after a team instead of out casting people who arnt their best buds. Get rid of the seasonal contracts constantly you either want your staff or you don't. Whilst I understand its operational you strip your employees of any voice or rights.

"The Best Place to Work :o)"

I have been working at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cons

Based in an industrial estate near Crawley (but flexible working is available)

"Good memories"

Former Employee - Cabin Service in London, England
    Former Employee - Cabin Service in London, England

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good staff benefits and provide flexibility working schedule to staff

Cons

Every companies have their downsides, we have to change our perceptions as to live it there

"Fun for a few years, but not a long term career"

Current Employee - Cabin Crew in Heathrow, England
    Current Employee - Cabin Crew in Heathrow, England

I have been working at Virgin Atlantic Airways part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of amazing destinations, chance to visit some places that you may never under normal circumstances. Met some fantastic colleagues and usually great fun onboard despite the unsociable hours. It's the fellow crew that make the job bearable. Staff travel concessions.

Cons

Zero room for progression. Actually going backwards. Worked for them for over 10 years. Was Senior Cabin Crew but the job role was made redundant. Choice to leave or take pay cut and revert to original starting role. Obviously this is horribly demotivating. Despite the fact that had proven excellent feedback from colleagues and onboard managers, this was never recognised or rewarded. You feel like just a number in a massive machine and very undervalued. Also it gets you down when the only thing that makes Virgin different from other airlines these days is the crew, a fact that is constantly reiterated and yet crew are the worst paid job in the business. Crew management constantly changing so you never really have a chance to build a rapport with your manager. Also since the latest changeover emails and telephone calls go unanswered.

Advice to Management

Put in place reward system for crew. No point constantly telling Crew how they are what make your business if you're not going to offer any incentive to continue this hard work. Stop cutting services and crew members as it's the crew that once again have to deal with the fall out from passengers. Obviously because of the fact that we want them to get off happy, we work over and above to compensate but this is leaving Crew fatigued and demotivated. Feel really disappointed that after working extremely hard for over a decade for the company I'm now at a point where I feel I have no other choice but to leave.

9. "A choice employer"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in London, England

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Has the best employee benefits which also extends to the family members

Cons

Rigid performance management for non-flight crew employees

Advice to Management

Adopt a flexible performance management system

"Virgins star has long since faded..."

Former Employee - Senior Cabin Crew in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Cabin Crew in London, England

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Used to be amazing but that was approx 8-10 years ago...

*only remaining positive is the crew, really nothing else anymore...

Cons

*zero progression
    *zero acknowledgement for onboard performance
    *very low salary
    *made to feel like you should be privileged to work there
    *used to lead the way, been playing catch up for years...

Advice to Management

*Don't be so deluded; believing your own hype, there's much better, more modern travel options available to customers these days...
    *Value the crew you still have, it's the only USP!

"Militant and dull staff"

Former Employee - Support Planner - Supply Chain in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways (Less than a year)

Pros

The cabin crew and younger members of the business show a great level of enthusiasm, and passion for what they do.

Cons

The offices are tired, along with the older members of staff. They show no signs of enthusiasm which is very off putting to younger staff joining the business. The staff travel scheme is complicated and combined with the poor holiday allowance it makes using it a struggle.

Advice to Management

Get rid of lazy uninterested members of staff, and make it more exciting and enthusiastic which is what the virgin brand is about

Virgin Atlantic Airways Response

20 Jul 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

Our work environment and staff well-being is very important to us at Virgin Atlantic so we are disappointed to read your comments regarding our... More