Virgin Atlantic Airways Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

Virgin Atlantic Airways Chief Executive Officer Craig Kreeger
Craig Kreeger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • And the travel benefits are unmatched (in 14 reviews)

• Fun spirit of company; Opportunity for career development; Great CEO; Brilliant Flight benefits; profit sharing; (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • I decided to leave Virgin Atlantic for many reasons, but mostly because I felt undervalued and ignored by cabin crew management (in 7 reviews)

• Senior cabin crew role made redundant, made to take a pay drop of nearly (in 5 reviews)

1. "Amazing people"

I have been working at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time

Pros

Travel perks, great people, fun and caring

Cons

Clunky processes, dated technology and systems

Advice to Management

Look after your people well as you have some of the best in the industry

2. "feedback"

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time

Pros

Good company with opportunities for development

Cons

Small airline with limited resources

3. "special service"

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time

Pros

great fun it was a good time

Cons

i cant think of cons but lower management

Advice to Management

love richard

17 Nov 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Many thanks for leaving us a review and great to hear you enjoyed your time at Virgin Atlantic!

"Cabin Crew"

Former Employee - Cabin Crew in London, England
    Former Employee - Cabin Crew in London, England

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The crew all worked together as a team and everyone was treated the same, great atmosphere onboard.
    Good perks if you like to travel.
    Great destinations.
    Flexibility in swapping shifts after your probation.

Cons

Management was all over the place I did not know whom my manager was for a good few months while working there.
    Pay rate was not the best.
    Negativity

Advice to Management

I was asked to resign due to my personal circumstance or else I would have been dismissed. I suffered with anxiety and was at a tough time in my life. I did not receive any support and was unable to talk to anyone as at the time I was not assigned a manager. I would hope that Virgin has resolved this management issue by now. I would recommend them taking more time to care about their employees and listen.
    At the end of the day everyone of us goes through a tough time in life and you should understand that no one deserves what I went through and the lack of support I received.

6. "Customer Service Agent"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Heathrow, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Heathrow, England

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways (More than a year)

Pros

Staff travel
    very generous staff travel is offered to us :D
    Front line managers are supportive tho.

Cons

You are just a number and passenger shout at you everyday

17 Nov 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. Great to hear that you appreciated our fabulous staff travel benefits whilst working with us. We understand that working on the front-line is not... More

"No Support for Parents"

Former Employee - Cabin Crew in Heathrow, England

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Private health care for me and my loved ones.

Cons

After working for Virgin Atlantic for 5 years as part of the cabin crew I fell pregnant with my first child, after 6 months of maternity leave, I was made to believe there were Child Care benefits however after having had my child it became clear there were no benefits as you were in fact paying for the child care out of your salary!! Baby sitters can become hard to rely on so flexibility was needed however this was not offered for me, resulting in my partner having to take all the time off himself causing him to loose his job. The fact there are no ACTUAL benefits regarding child care is so disheartening and caused me to leave the job.

Advice to Management

Instead of focusing on Crèches in Virgin Active you should thing about the wider company.

"A nice place to work, but feels like it's getting worse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I have been working at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people - Virgin is proud of its record of recruiting good, customer-focused people, and generally succeeds. this goes from the top down, senior management are approachable, friendly, warm. It's a great bunch to work with through the organisation. The working environment is generally pretty positive at HQ, although I hear much less positive things from the frontline. Both main offices are really nice, modern, good workspaces etc with table tennis tables and soft chill out areas etc. Worklife balance is mostly good and offices usually almost empty shortly after 6pm. And you get to work for an amazing brand, that you can tell people you work for and get basically unquestioned jealousy! The flight perks aren't bad for creating that feeling either.

Cons

The place is changing. Five years ago longer-serving colleagues said that to me (no more parties at Richard's house etc) and I thought they were moan bags. Now I'm one of those moan bags, as VA gets more and more corporate, quietly pulls back more and more of what makes it a unique brand for customers and employees. There's been near constant org design work going on in the last 2.5 years which is draining for everyone plus awful for morale, and sometimes it feels like decisions about our proposition change who we are. The company is trying hard to be profitable and professional, but as a result is slightly losing its way on the softer stuff.

Advice to Management

Stop talking about how important engagement is, and start making the right decisions. Even the smallest of things can make a big difference to how it feels -
     why did it take nearly a year of angry signs and comms telling people not to walk into the building via the short cut way, to actually build a path to help people do it safely?

17 Nov 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback, it’s always good to hear both positive and constructive comments. Great that you have highlighted the people and working environment as one of the... More

9. "Brilliant people but physically demanding & no holiday for 2 years!"

Former Employee - Cabin Crew in Heathrow, England

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for Virgin Atlantic was my dream job in my time of being there I met some of the most incredible people have made memories that I will cherish forever & been to some truly beautiful places. All in all as a company Virgin Atlantic is one you feel proud to work the job it self is a feel good one when your strutting though the airport in your unifrom to stepping out of the car at the gas station to fill up and turn a few heads for the first few months at Virgin I sometimes had to pinch myself at times it really feels that you are living the dream. The trainers and managers are very supportive and majority very lovely people the other crew you fly with and the pilots are what make the job Virgin worth doing they are what kept me in it for the last 7 months despite deciding that I wanted to leave very early on. Paywise yes it could be better but it is a very fair wage and with the trip allowance you wont be waiting for payday.

Cons

Very unsociable hours you will be away at least 2 days a week so if you have family or like being at home a lot and do not want to miss a birthday or wedding this is not the job for you!.. Fair enough its what we sign up for but when you do actually miss a birthday to go to Lagos its a lot harder living the reality! Oh also unless you have been there for 10 years forget about even trying to get Christmas off or any time off near it! The night flights home are exhausting you will land back and feel shattered and need to spend the day sleeping when you do get back one of the biggest things for me that contributed to me leaving the job was that in the interview we were told we could not book holiday for the first 6 months which was fair enough but then they changed it so we could not book holiday until 2019! Seriously what sort of work place doesn't let you book holiday for 2 years! Also another major factor into me leaving was that the job it self I found to be incredibly repetitive you go out with your cart clean the toilets occasionally you might have a medical incident or FSM to flight deck when an engine shuts down mid flight but for the most part you will be serving or cooking food or answering call bells most of them PAX wanting a coffee. In general the lifestyle of being cabin crew was not suitable for me a lot of the social aspect revolves around drinking down route which is all fun and good but its soon wears you down & in the long run is not the most healthy of lifestyles you will feel tiredness like you have never felt before. I really respect crew that stick it out for 5/10/20 years it is a very emotionally & physically demanding hard job.

Advice to Management

Allocate 3 days off after each flight 2 days really is not enough
    Allocate a better holiday/time off system that is like any other normal work place not all just based on seniority!

17 Nov 2017 – Recruitment Manager

Many thanks for your review, it sounds like you visited some amazing places during your time as crew with us and appreciated what a great brand we have. You’re right that the hours crew have to work... More

10. "Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Heathrow, England
    Former Employee - Customer Service Agent in Heathrow, England

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent staff travel package, nice work environment and lovely colleagues.

Cons

Management too removed from the staff, need to be more transparent and open.
    Trying to get annual leave can be a bit of a nightmare!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more.
    Look at the allocation of annual leave processes

14 Nov 2017 – Search & Social Media Consultant

Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate the time that you have taken to place your review on Glassdoor. It’s great to hear you enjoyed our fabulous staff benefits. We appreciate your comments... More

"The idea is great but the company is not"

I worked at Virgin Atlantic Airways part-time

Pros

The proudness you feel from putting on the red uniform is amazing the initial buzz is great

Cons

The management are horrendous. No direction or support. If you don't fit into their idea then your not worth a dime and they will do everything they can to manage you out. Pay is shocking and the benefits arnt great. They keep you on seasonal contracts and renew them so you have no rights and they can drop you like a hat. Everyone is so clicky and they have no true room for progression. Nothing like the picture it's made out to be. There's no compassion or empathy if they don't like you they will manage you out.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the micro managing staff who are full of their own self importance. Try to educate your management on how to look after a team instead of out casting people who arnt their best buds. Get rid of the seasonal contracts constantly you either want your staff or you don't. Whilst I understand its operational you strip your employees of any voice or rights.