Virtual College Ilkley Reviews

Updated 11 Sep 2019

4.4
Virtual College CEO    Rod Knox
Rod Knox
  1. "Collaborative, Positive and Grown Up"

Current Employee - Head of Sales in Ilkley, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Virtual College full-time for less than a year

Pros

Our people and our reason for being. The working environment is unlike other places I have worked for the right reasons. There is an authentic and genuine desire for collective success.

Cons

Parking can be challenging for those that commute to work by car.

February 12, 2020HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to review your experiences at Virtual College. We are pleased to hear that you feel Virtual College has an authentic and genuine desire for collective success. Virtual College prides itself on our people and therefore it is great to hear your positive feedback. With regards to parking, all staff have been provided with a parking permit no further than a five minute walk away. These have been provided for free.

"Great outward appearance, but not a great employee experience in IT"

2.0
    Former Employee - Test Lead in Ilkley, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Virtual College full-time for less than a year

Pros

VC staff are largely good, hard-working people. Staff get fruit baskets weekly. Good reviews on this site. Note: HR do email staff encouraging them to leave a Glassdoor review,, so whilst these reviews are good, the number of reviews might be artificially inflated. Naturally, if employees are current, that could affect how candid the reviewer is.

Cons

Low morale due to the following long-standing issues: - Little or no information from the leadership team on the direction of the department to staff. This meant big projects were undertaken with no plan and as such enormous amounts of time, effort and money are wasted, which for many hard-working staff members is deflating. - Big architectural decisions made without consulting experts (the developers in the department) has made development and stability of the software difficult. - Salary had not increased adequately as staff gained more experience and qualifications at the company. Some people in IT were hugely underpaid, despite being invaluable assets to the company. The pay for newer recruits is more in line with industry which is rather unfair. Requests were made for appropriate pay rises but not met. - No defined career path or progression. Hard-working, motivated members of staff had not had applicable skills developed for many years, despite asking during 1-2-1 sessions and appraisals. Although VC allowed staff to do courses on another e-learning site, it was not always directly relevant and had no bearing on progressing in a role. - I witnessed bullying in more than 1 team in IT, some occurring on multiple occasions over a long time. I don’t think these have been dealt with properly and for the people on the receiving end, there’s very little solace. The seating in tech is very carefully planned and basically moving desks is limited as these matters are still ongoing (when I left). - The Leadership team in IT does not have the expertise required to run the department. They are not from a technical background and the department needs someone with applicable experience. - Several middle managers in IT felt unsupported and there was a sense of hopelessness for the future if the leadership team remained the same. - Customer service received by major clients is below par. I have 15+ years of dealing with customers in many industries, and I considered VC's approach to be cavalier at best, but more often reckless. Communication is poor and I witnessed more covering up than I was comfortable with when we had committed to delivering products. - The actions/inaction of the leadership team made it completely impossible for me to get any traction with plans I had for my team. I have never struggled to add value and motivate people but with my time spent mainly firefighting and personnel issues, I had no opportunity to move us forward.

September 30, 2019HR Assistant

Thank you for your review and recommendations. As you know we jointly discussed a range of concerns during your short period of employment with us. These concerns were investigated in line with our internal procedures and the appropriate response and action taken. We are sorry that your working time with us was not wholly positive. Virtual College prides itself on a duty of care to all employees and takes concerns and complaints very seriously.

3. "Great place in the heart Ilkley town."

Current Employee - IT Support Analyst in Ilkley, England

I have been working at Virtual College full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly and accommodating work culture. I love the weekly fruit baskets ! :)

Cons

Nothing to mention at the moment.

July 25, 2019HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to review your experiences at Virtual College. We are pleased to hear that you feel Virtual College has a friendly and accommodating work culture. As part of our wellbeing initiative, we provide weekly fruit baskets for all staff and we regularly hear that these go down well! We are glad to hear that in your short time at Virtual College you cannot identify any fundamental areas to improve. We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to you playing a part in our vision going forward.

4. "Really happy that I took this role"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Ilkley, England

I have been working at Virtual College full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic, friendly people. Forward looking and embracing change Great location Respect for knowledge and experience, trust to get on with the job, the right sort of interest in what I'm doing and appreciation for my efforts.

Cons

Nit picking but initial holiday entitlement could be higher

July 25, 2019HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to review your experiences at Virtual College. We are pleased to hear that you feel Virtual College has fantastic and friendly people – we agree! It is great that you can recognise that we are forward thinking and embrace change. We agree that the town of Ilkley is a fantastic location to work, with independent shops, cafes, supermarkets and lovely parks. We are also fortunate to have a train and bus station just a stone’s through away from our offices which makes Virtual College easily accessible from Leeds and other major towns nearby. We foster a culture of respect and trust within our workforce and therefore our people manage their own workloads and take ownership for their work. As you have recognised, there is an interest across the company of what part each person is playing in the wider vision and widespread appreciation as a result. We’d like to think that Virtual College puts our people at the heart of everything we do and, as such, we are reviewing our holiday entitlement in line with recent staff feedback and the external market. We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to you playing a part in our vision going forward.

5. "Positive progress is underway"

Current Employee - Manager in Ilkley, England

I have been working at Virtual College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Ambitious organisation which embraces change - Provides staff with opportunities to develop within role - There is scope to voice suggestions for improvement and ways of working across all levels - There is a greater move towards listening to staff and engaging with them to understand feedback for improvement - Fun motivators, e.g. pancake day hampers, international waffle day, company away day - Committed to looking after staff e.g. sleep advice, yoga sessions, wellness hampers such as herbal teas, essential oils, water bottles. We're getting better at looking after each other. - Communication in the organisation is improving steadily

Cons

- Poor holiday allowance - Salaries are disproportionate across people with similar responsibilities. The pay rises aren’t really meaningful enough, there is capacity to earn more elsewhere for the same job - is it really market-led? - Invest in training, show that you’re committed to our professional development - Although the people are great it can be cliquey at times which ultimately challenges professionalism across working relationships and internal development and progression

July 25, 2019HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to review your experiences at Virtual College. We are pleased to hear that you feel Virtual College is an ambitious organisation which embraces change. It is also encouraging to hear that you recognise the opportunities we give our people to develop within their roles. As a company, we value self-directed learning and encourage our people to have a growth mindset, in addition to providing ongoing training with a dedicated Learning and Development budget. We are glad to hear that you believe there is scope to voice suggestions for improvement and ways of working across all levels. In the last year, we have spent a lot of time reviewing our communication, consultation and collaboration processes and agree that there are multiple platforms including companywide surveys, cross company working groups and 1-2-1s with managers to name a few, that help our people to voice their views. You mention that there is a greater move towards listening to staff and engaging with them to understand feedback for improvement and we are happy to hear that you can see these efforts taking shape and communication is improving. It is great that you have mentioned our fun motivators which we have recently introduced as a company to recognise the hard work and dedication of our people. We provide an inclusive selection of various incentives which relate to different days in the calendar year, for example pancake day hampers, international waffle day treats as you mentioned. We also have an annual company away day which takes place in summer and is a great informal way to bring the whole company together. We are excited for our company away day this year, which is a festival theme focused around our health and wellbeing agenda. As you have mentioned, we are committed to looking after our staff and our wellness treats, advice and yoga sessions have resulted in great feedback from our people. In relation to benefits including holiday allowance, we are currently reviewing these in line with the external market and consulting staff on their thoughts. We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to you playing a part in our vision going forward.

6. "Great Place, Great People!"

Current Employee - Learning Technology Adviser in Ilkley, England

I have been working at Virtual College full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have worked at VC for such a short time so it can be hard to really voice anything. What i can say is that the company do care about you, the line managers and above listen and take into consideration what you say. I have had nothing but support since joining the company and i don't see it easing off. Another thing to state is that every person in the company is genuinely a nice person, and that is hard to find in businesses. Every person i have been in contact with has given me the time of day and helped me continue to progress. not once have i (or anyone else) been turned away when asking a question or asking for help! truly good people!

Cons

a couple of the processes could do with being ironed out but as changes have been happening to the company (growing) there will always be teething issues.

July 25, 2019HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to review your experiences at Virtual College. We are pleased to hear that you feel Virtual College has supported you from your first day. As a company, we try to make our onboarding process as helpful and informative as possible. It is true that Virtual College prides itself on our people and therefore it is great to hear you are finding your colleagues genuine and supportive. We agree that the company listens and cares about our peoples’ views, and Virtual College provides various platforms to voice opinions such as our companywide surveys, cross company working groups and 1-2-1s with managers. As we are a growing company, there are naturally processes that need reviewing and ironing out however we are working hard to improve these. As we continue to grow and develop, we are trying to minimise any teething issues by having a growth plan and aligned team objectives. We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to you playing a part in our vision going forward.

7. "Great company"

Former Employee - Learning Solutions Consultant in Ilkley, England

I worked at Virtual College full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Virtual College is a great place to work, really friendly atmosphere. It’s a fast growing industry which brings lots of opportunities to you as an individual at the company.

Cons

Sales compensation package needs reviewing

December 14, 2018HR Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to review your experiences at Virtual College. It is great to hear that you think Virtual College is a great place to work and that we have a really friendly atmosphere. It is good to know that you recognise we are part of a fast-growing industry, providing lots of opportunities for staff working in the company. We take Glassdoor and staff feedback very seriously and therefore our Leadership Team will be taking on board all of your comments. We operate an annual pay review process which considers cost of living changes, market changes in pay for specific roles as well as individual performance. We also offer a company-wide bonus scheme linked to company, team and individual performance. We are pleased to read that you think management are doing a good job.

""There's no place like home""

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Ilkley, England

I have been working at Virtual College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

An absolute sense of identity and a clear vision. The people - despite being a cliche, Virtual College is a success because of the drive, innovation and motivation of it's people. Like anywhere Virtual College has it's challenges but because the leadership team are so clear on the vision people are happy go the extra mile to overcome any frustration. After leaving Virtual College and following an open and honest discussion I was welcomed back to the company with not one ounce of hesitation - Virtual College could have made this situation very awkward but they chose not to - not something that happens every day!

Cons

I can only say this because I've had the luxury of leaving and coming back but it's clear some people don't know what they've got until it's gone - I certainly experienced this. Apart from that and the expected frustration of working in such a rapidly growing organisation there's nothing that springs to mind.

December 14, 2018HR Assistant

It is true that some people don’t know what they’ve got until it’s gone, and we are delighted to have you back in the business. Following any restructure, it is inevitable that these changes will result in a period of instability however the company is trying to ensure sustainability for the future. Rapid growth in any organisation inevitably causes some frustrations – as you say these are to be expected all in line with us trying to achieve our ambitious growth vision. We are really pleased that you recognise that the success is because of the drive, innovation and motivation of its people who go the extra mile. Our leadership team our fully behind our new Good to Great People Strategy which aligns with our Three Year Strategic Plan.

"A lovely, friendly workplace"

Former Employee - Customer Service/Administrative Support in Ilkley, England

I worked at Virtual College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Extremely friendly atmosphere Very supportive management Everyone is a team player Good incentives, e.g. away days, early finishes, and even ice creams on sunny days! A very modern and forward thinking employer

Cons

In the role I had I wouldn't say there any cons. Any frustrations were the same as in any other workplace.

"Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ilkley, England

I have been working at Virtual College full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Relaxed Environment -Professional -Great Team Spirit Looks to be going from strength to strength as a company.

Cons

No negative comments come to mind.

Found 33 reviews