VistaBee Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.2
VistaBee CEO Steve Reilly
Steve Reilly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company is growing rapidly so there is a lot of opportunity for personal growth and I'm excited to come to work each day (in 4 reviews)

• Overall as others have said I love my job (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be hard work and long hours sometimes in busy times (but this can be the case with any job) (in 8 reviews)

• As other have said if you want an easy gig this isn't the place for you but if you want to learn new skills then its ideal (in 3 reviews)

1. "Wonderful Media Company"

I have been working at VistaBee full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Experienced and fast paced company
    - Management is focused on making you successful in your career
    - Friendly and Social Environment
    - Supportive Team
    - New and Interesting Projects Daily
    - Passionate team that want to deliver the best quality
    - Great opportunity to enhance your skills

Cons

Can't think of any at this moment.

Advice to Management

The involvement shown is motivational.

2. "Hard work, good rewards, decent company to work for"

Current Employee - Photographer in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Photographer in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at VistaBee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall Vistabee is a decent company to work for. Since I've been here it's grown massively and beyond what anyone expected. The culture is very customer and employee centric, as an employee you're given a lot of responsibility and this is unlike other companies I've worked for. My colleagues have been with the company for a while, many since almost the start and I think it's fair to say that it's been a challenging and interesting company to be part of. The dedication of some of my colleagues is extreme - they are very hard working and believe strongly in what the company stands for. The offices are nice - the HQ is an old bond in Edinburgh and they have recently expended to the US. I can recommend working for the company and as a photographer, although the job can be long some days, it is rewarding.

Cons

As above some of the days can be long. Especially in summer. You have to be prepared to put in the work and everybody in the company seems to be willing to do so. It's not for those wanting an easy life or a 9 to 5 job, but that suits me and my lifestyle better.

Advice to Management

More training and more constructive feedback. Don't forget the photographers are one of the most important parts of your company and we work the hardest of anyone.

"Employee"

I worked at VistaBee (Less than a year)

Pros

The very few staff who work here, and managed to stay for longer periods are actually very skilled. Wasting their talent.

Cons

Google the reviews of this company and make sure you don't believe the good ones. They're all fake.
    The bad ones, all true.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees.

"Don't believe the hype"

I worked at VistaBee full-time

Pros

Product and service provided to customers is good.
    Some of the other employees were nice enough.

Cons

It seems that a number of the reviews on here are fake. They use gushing language that normal people wouldn't use ("try to be better every day if just by 1%.") and the sheer volume of reviews for such a small company doesn't ring true either. Unfortunately this has led to some glowing local press coverage that doesn't accurately reflect the reality of the workplace. The fact the company feels the need to respond to negative reviews by denying or discrediting them, where many other companies would simply ignore it, shows there is a certain level of insecurity in the organisation.

An immediate red flag for me should've been when my scheduled interview was half an hour late - a clear sign that employees are not greatly valued. This happened to at least one other interviewee during my time at the company. The interviewer had also clearly not read my CV or cover letter which was extremely unprofessional.

There is a toxic culture of blame in the company. Whenever even a slight problem occurs or a mistake is made, the immediate response is to point the finger at someone without understanding the facts or how it happened. People are openly reprimanded on a regular basis for the most minor of infractions, even if it's not their fault.

There is a lack of responsibility taken by management, with undue pressure being placed on specific members of staff to fix every single problem, far beyond their actual role. As a result, the work environment is constantly stressful and pressurised.

Pay is average but hours are considerably longer than other comparable roles.

Advice to Management

Rather than trying to create a 'cool startup vibe' focus on actually respecting and valuing your employees first. Instead of blaming high staff turnover on people 'not being up to the job' ask yourself what you're doing to make your workplace somewhere that people feel they can contribute without being constantly rebuked for the smallest mistakes. Dedicate the time to training staff properly so they know what's actually expected of them.

"VistaBee is an Excellent Environment to Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at VistaBee full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

VistaBee has been the opportunity of a lifetime to learn new skills and grow personally in a way no other company would have given the opportunity to do so. Each day is a learning curve and over time the company has gotten better at everything it does, but each day still brings new challenges. Working somewhere which is truly leading the world in professional video technology is exciting. The team and coworkers are some of the hardest working and smartest people I've been honoured to work with in my career. Nothing is too much for them and they work so hard for the company, it's inspiring. The company is growing fast, even in year 7, and continually new products are being made which gives opportunity to work on interesting projects and develop your skill set further. Technology is at the core of the VistaBee meaning whenever it can be used to improve the product, you have the opportunity to spec new development. As an agile environment, code is quickly planned, specced and deployed, and the developer team and truly talented. The culture is one of openness and responsibility where team are able to make decisions that in a larger company would not be possible. The team are spread over 6 countries, and that means the head office in Edinburgh has a relatively tight team, with developers and production overseas in many cases, and our new US office. The company is expending and this means great opportunities to travel and see things in new areas. Every day I get to work in my dream job, and I'm so thankful for being able to do so.

Cons

It is busy. Super busy and it never seems to slow down. This means it's a hard work, big reward culture, but also can be frenetic and stressful sometimes. Quite often the client base can be quite demanding, which is understandable given their niche. It's also not somewhere those who want a large company feel or can have an easier pace will fit in. Everyone works really hard and this is evident in the people who stay, of whom they are quite a few. Working with freelancers can be challenging, but the majority are amazing individuals who work so hard towards the company goal of being the best product on the market in real estate and business.

Advice to Management

Buckle up, it's only going to get busier. Improve training at all levels. Try to be better every day if just by 1%.

"Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Support in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Edinburgh, Scotland

I worked at VistaBee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have just finished working at Vistabee, due to moving from the area, Great company to work for, always changing and developing new ideas to drive the business forward, through new pieces of tech or changing their existing products to suit the changes in the property market.

Other staff and management were always on hand to help and offer guidance as there is a lot to learn, Office is a lovely space in a great location.

Overall is a great place to work, everyday is different, exciting and challenging, can get very busy in the peak times, but the days fly past.

Cons

Can be challenging when things go wrong, but that is to be expected when you work with freelancers, agents and general public but problems always got fixed very quickly, management were always on hand to assist. First few months are hard but enjoyable as you have to learn lots of new skills and how the in-house ordering system works.

Advice to Management

Set dates for completion of training modules

19 Mar 2017 – HR

Thanks so much for your feedback, and thanks for being a great member of the team. You're always welcome to come back and will be dearly missed.

"Great People, Great Idea, Getting Better as the Company Grows"

Current Employee - Videographer &Amp; Photographer in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Videographer &Amp; Photographer in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at VistaBee full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people work at this company especially the photographers and videographers. Flexible working is important to my situation and the ability to have this makes balancing family life much easier. I started off at Vistabee quite some time ago and have seen the company grow from a small start up to a much bigger company but still retain the ideals they started with. The staff in the head office in Edinburgh are friendly and go out of their way to help you especially those on the admin team. The management seems to be supportive of new ideas and the production team are very committed. Management good, good feedback. They keep coming out with new updates to the platform which makes it much better than when I first started. It's exciting times and good to be part of a growing business. Pay is pretty good for the industry and above average. Good attention to detail.

Cons

Sometimes the work can be repetitive especially in estate agent home shoots. The can be very busy days with very demanding clients and you have to be flexible to get the job done. As other have said if you want an easy gig this isn't the place for you but if you want to learn new skills then its ideal. Can be stressful at times with the sheer volume of work. There could be more training and sometimes the jobs could be ordered better. Homes can be untidy occasionally.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees and try to get more management structure and training. Flexible working is good when it works, make sure it is always adhered to.

19 Mar 2017 – HR

Thanks for your feedback, we are always looking to improve training and it's something we're keen to work harder on.

9. "Great Company for Photographers & Videographers"

Current Employee - Video Shooter
    Current Employee - Video Shooter

I have been working at VistaBee full-time

Pros

- Creative, busy, never short of things to do
    - Hands on experience daily and an ability to develop your photography and video skills
    - Fantastic support from girls in the office, nothing is too much for them
    - Money is good, more than I got from running my own photography business previously
    - I can say that it is the perfect job for me - a good balance as work Monday to Friday and have evenings and weekends for myself
    - CEO is inspiring and although I don't have contact at all obviously day to day, the company is growing fast and you can feel the energy throughout.
    - A very customer focussed business. I have great perosnal relationships with our clients and genuinly love working for them.
    - A great place top work and a good way to further your video skills in the only company making a success in the market that I know of.

Cons

- Occasionally I'll have to pick up a shot for someone who doesn't pull their weight
    - Driving involved and locations although mostly are close, sometimes involve driving
    - Training - more of it needed beyond the training hub, and quicker
    - High expectations are the norm so you need to be on your game
    - Very busy days in peak season
    - Shooting rental properties - can be messy and you have to tidy up

Advice to Management

Try to schedule jobs closer together and make sure tenants tidy the house up beforehand. Think about where we go next, there are lots of opportunities for photographers to develop personally, how do you help us here.

"Dynamic company to work for"

Current Employee - Office Staff in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Office Staff in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at VistaBee part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Vistabee is growing from strength to strength with a great hard working team behind this. Management is very passionate about the business and encourages staff to be the best of the best. Located in Lovely open plan offices in modern building. Everyone in office is friendly and helpful. Frequent treats and nights out are had for the office staff.

Cons

No two days are the same. It can get very busy and the occasional late night might be required, but never been asked to work at weekend so always off which is a bonus.

Advice to Management

Perhaps a more structured training program for new starts would be advantageous and providing CPD opportunities for existing staff to further their knowledge and careers.

31 Aug 2016 – HR

Thanks for your positive comments, they are much appreciated. We try to encourage a positive working environment and we're really glad you're enjoying your role.

"Ambitious and friendly people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland

I have been working at VistaBee full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really ambitious company. The people who work at vistabee are really friendly and ambitious too. Not a day goes by without someone going above and beyond for a customer and getting thanks for it. Good career prospects and regular promotions. Steady team with same faces been there for a while. Some really talented people. Everybody gives 110%. Management supportive and has flexible working hours if needed. Passionate managers too. Very modern company with a pleasant working environment. Best company I've worked for from a customer perspective. Pay is good and wage rises frequent. Great product and business idea. Overall as others have said I love my job. Good values.

Cons

Can be busy. Everybody is smart. Lazy people won't fit in. Working hours during week can be longer in busy periods but weekends always off. Holidays are at Christmas and summer unless agreed. wirking with creatives can be challenging.

Advice to Management

More training and support for new joiners. Think about how to communicate better with creatives l.

31 Aug 2016 – HR

Thanks so much for your comments and we appreciate your efforts. Please reach out to management to discuss your ideas further.