WE Communications Director Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

WE Communications CEO Melissa Waggener Zorkin
Melissa Waggener Zorkin

"past its prime"

Former Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay and benefits and there some genuinely nice, hard-working incredibly smart people who work there. When I first started to work there over a decade ago it was the most inspiring, supportive place to be. I gained amazing communications skills from even more amazing people and grew so much professionally and personally. Those people have all left.

Cons

The agency has become a dead end. They are not considered innovative in the market and have not secured a new, major client since landing Microsoft in the 80s. I have learned so much more about the changing field of communications since leaving. If you don't fit the mold, you may lose your soul trying. I've seen the term "mean girl" used to describe the work environment, and I would have to agree. Senior management...

Advice to Management

After working here for more than a decade, I honestly don't know what to say to management that would be heard. All the advice I see here on Glassdoor is solid, but it's been given over and over for many years now. No one is listening. I would simply work elsewhere.

WE Communications2017-03-02

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Wonderful place to work, smart and fun colleagues, clients with a high bar that push and challenge you to go above and beyond your previous best, great leaders, flexible work from home policy.

Cons

Not for everyone, must be willing to go beyond the billable hour, will stretch you outside of your skillset ( a great thing for a lot of people)

WE Communications2016-05-09
  3. "Working at WE"

Current Employee - Account Director in Johannesburg

I have been working at WE Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nurturing, great culture, supportive leaders

Cons

Lack of integrated offering

Advice to Management

Hire more skills in-house

WE Communications2016-03-24

"Wonderful company driven by a visionary leader & a passionate agency focused on doing good."

Former Employee - Executive Creative Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at WE Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you want to work with good wholehearted, intelligent, creative people the WE Agency is your home. Independent. Dynamic. 31 years strong & definitely 30+ more years ahead work hard on behalf of their clients.

Cons

WE is not terminally unique to agency politics. No different than any where else. With Kass Sells at the helm in North America & incredible leaders around the globe whatever negatives you've read are being addressed.

Advice to Management

Stay strong. Don't bend to market demands and continue to be a purpose driven business.

WE Communications2015-12-04
  5. "Being fiercely independent matters -- and I haven't found better!"

Current Employee - Account Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked at several different Market/PR/Comms agencies in my 15 years in the industry, and I have yet to experience or hear of an agency as focused on the growth of its business AND its people than WE. I've been at WE just over five years, and while no place is roses and butterflies all the time, I truly do believe that WE's leadership cares about its people--so I stay. Evidence: great benefits (I mean, who still...

Cons

Some people don't like our Bellevue location (I personally don't mind it at all -- would rather have free parking and less congestion vs downtown Seattle). Not every manager is a great manager -- but the grass is never greener at other places I've learned, that's just how every workplace works.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people -- they're your greatest asset and differentiator.

WE Communications2015-10-16

"Toxic and Aging."

Current Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I have been working at WE Communications full-time

Pros

They have a strong 401 K program and an average health care program.

Cons

If you have seen the movie Heathers or Mean Girls, it sums up the culture and mission of WE. This alone should give you pause prior to joining this "Sorority" filled haven. Leaders have stayed too long and look the other way to achieve marginal success.

Advice to Management

Your day has passed. Open your eyes to the toxic environment that you call first in class. Most hires don't even stay beyond a 1 year time frame.

WE Communications2015-05-19

"Good people, frustrating culture"

Former Employee - Account Director in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great coworkers, generally well-intentioned leadership, generally good work/life-balance. Decent health benefits, though that was changing as I left the company.

Cons

Lots of politics, demanding clients, very limited growth options as you get to the Account Director level - especially in the Portland office. Compensation and benefits kept eroding over the time I was there.

WE Communications2014-10-03

"A Great Place to Work, When it Comes to Agency PR"

Current Employee - Account Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great opportunities, pay is competitive, challenging work, encouragement to grow skills, encouragement to volunteer, top notch clients

Cons

Lack of consistent criteria for what is valued in a leader, can be "clicky"

Advice to Management

You should find ways to recognize middle managers more consistently. Not necessarily with money but some of the company/team awards are more geared toward junior staff

WE Communications2013-10-10

"Trial by Fire... Demanding and driven"

Former Employee - Director in Portland, OR
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at WE Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

One year at Waggener Edstrom is like a tour of duty in a war zone. Challenging, exciting, great people in a dynamic industry, the best of the best in public relations

Cons

Hard, unforgiving culture, with many talented people that are well meaning and dedicated ... a very polifical organization where information is king

Advice to Management

Nurture the potential in the good people that are there. Actively encourage learning, even when it comes as the result of a unintentional mistake. Be a little kinder.

WE Communications2013-03-25

"If you like Microsoft you'll love Wagged"

Current Employee - Director in

I have been working at WE Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Organized around the same principals as microsoft; seniority uber alles. Waggener Edstrom is typical of the corporate world. If you want a place to build a career over a decade or more, especially in the NorthWest of America, this is a great pr shoppe to start with.

Cons

not the place for aggressive innovators. Most programs and strategies deployed here are designed to be safe. Like most public relations firms with a single anchor client, every other client takes a back seat.

Advice to Management

Spin off the MSFT account.

WE Communications2012-12-15