WE Communications Vice President Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 14 Nov 2019

4.4
WE Communications CEO Melissa Waggener Zorkin
Melissa Waggener Zorkin

"Great people and potential"

Former Employee - Vice President in London, England

I worked at WE Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent consultants that are totally focussed on client service excellence. Really smart, eager and fun teams to work with that are increasingly thinking of integrated campaigns. Office culture is strong with a relaxed atmosphere and local leadership teams who seem to genuinely care about the wellbeing of staff. Lots of extra-mural activities, a busy social calendar and active CSR initiatives. Interesting clients... to work on and some good progress in delivering digital/social integration.

Cons

Scale of network can sometimes be a challenge in attracting larger clients especially if they want a single-brand agency approach. That said there are many examples of great multi-national work using the alliance partners.

Advice to Management

Continue to build out global scale and the wider digital capabilities. I'll follow your progress with enthusiasm and interest.

WE Communications2016-02-26
  2. "Work hard, learn a lot, growing variety of clients"

Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at WE Communications full-time

Pros

You work and learn from great colleagues in an environment committed to communications excellence. Over the past 5 years, the agency leadership has strengthened, and the business is in better shape, the client roster is more diverse.

Cons

Client service isn't for everyone, and sometimes the "how high" response to Microsoft requests and demands puts agency people in the role of having to take hits they don't deserve.

WE Communications2019-11-14
  3. "SVP"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at WE Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a great place to build a career. Teams work well together, managers and management are decent and transparent and smart. Overall, it's a very nice place to work.

Cons

Not too many here - it's a very nice place to work!

WE Communications2016-09-26

"VP+"

Former Employee - Vice President in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Strong PR pros, good benefits, flexible hours/WFH

Cons

There is an aggressive internal program in place to increase the scores on Glassdoor. What does that tell you? CEO is insulated from the employees and either doesn't want to know what's really going on or puts her head in the sand. Mean girls culture - one day you're in, the next you're out. Great PR pros are leaving because of the toxic culture there. The leadership needs to change in order to stop the bleeding.

Advice to Management

Go on an employee listening tour, and don't punish employees for telling the truth.

WE Communications2016-05-14
  5. "Industry Innovators"

Former Employee - Vice President in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

WE focuses on strategic communications and is one of the true innovators in story telling that has become a communications norm. This is the place for people who are willing to work hard, speak up and truly make a difference to the client. The management is focused on delivering great results. Don't expect to be babied here, If you want to learn, create and grow (no matter what level you are at) - you won't find... a better place.

Cons

They need an office in Australia so I can work there. They are diversifying and broadening their reach (globally and with interesting clients). Like all these things... can it be faster?

Advice to Management

Be sure to communicate 1:1 and in small groups. Don't assume all internal messages get communicated the same way. Continue to nurture and grow great people while also bringing in outside expertise.

WE Communications2015-10-22
  6. "It's about the journey"

Current Employee - Vice President in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

What I love about WE is how much I learn - and how quickly I learn - from watching/helping leadership, account teams and clients in their decision-making, in trying new things, in giving new talent opportunities to change things up, in succeeding and in failing. I have been able to play several different roles, and learn from being on different teams here, and that has enabled me to round out my skills/resume, to... get to know many people, and to really understand what it is I love to do and why. There are so many brilliant people here, and I'm grateful to work alongside them and to learn from them every day. Also very grateful for the benefits and the thoughtfulness that is put into the overall benefits package.

Cons

No company is perfect. All companies have successes and all have failures. All are light and all are dark. WE is no different. There are people here that care about each other and who stand up for each other, and there are people here who don't. Some decisions have led to success and others have not. But for me, I don't expect perfection; it's not about being right every time. It's about knowing what makes you... unique and different, it's about having a point of view and it's about the career learning journey. Right now, the agency is working to reinvent its brand and show the world all of the amazing work that it does for clients. WE is moving from PR to the world of integrated, digital comms and THAT IS HARD. I'm looking forward to learning, growing, succeeding, failing, and being part of the change. Watching closely to see what happens next.

WE Communications2015-10-27

"Career Maker"

Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at WE Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great place to start a career. Waggener puts a lot of effort into developing their employees. Mid-level employees work with very senior level clients. Good benefits.

Cons

Hard to break past the mid-career mark. Limited client base results in limited opportunities. Haven't been able to break into more avanced marketing that can add value to existing services such as analytics, mktg automation, and social marketing. Stuck in media relations. Core digital team left a few years ago.

WE Communications2014-02-15

"Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at WE Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexibility, great people, ability to grow into what you are good at and make a name/career for yourself.

Cons

Leadership is sometimes blinded by 'shiny new objects' and can make decisions based on partial information.

Advice to Management

Dive deeper - get to know what is working and what isn't from people at all levels. Take the time to solve the problem, not just temporarily fix.

WE Communications2013-10-05
  9. "World class, high standards, incredible ability to influence major brands and markets"

Senior Vice President in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications

Pros

Incredible talent, incredible clients, toughest business problems out there to solve, focus on innovation. There are smart people at every level to learn from. Sincere commitment to changing markets and impacting doing good in the world. Tons of advancement opportunities if you earn them. Successful employees are drivers, curious, proactive, positive, passionate and want to make an impact.

Cons

Great clients expect great counsel - always have to be on your game and have a thick skin. But it is well worth it! There is a significant change afoot around re-thinking the way communications happens with emerging digital delivery mechanisms and influence traveling in new ways. Change can be tough, and some people aren't comfortable with the level of dynamism necessary to ride out the change. So that could be... tough for some.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on giving back and innovation

WE Communications2009-01-14