Waters Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 21 Feb 2020

4.0
Waters President & CEO Christopher O'Connell  (no image)
Christopher O'Connell
Pros
Cons
  • "Small obvious improvements to standard processes can be very difficult to bring about due to the improvement the need for buy-in from upper management(in 11 reviews)

• "Work life balance is hard to maintain(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good forward thinking company with some of the typical issues that big organisations face"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Waters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good knowledgeable people to work with Friendly atmosphere Well connected across departments Framework for progression

Cons

Small obvious improvements to standard processes can be very difficult to bring about due to the improvement the need for buy-in from upper management. Progression opportunities not visible enough

Waters2018-03-31
  2. "Outside of your echo chamber, your arrogance and complacency tastes delicious to your competition"

1.0
    Former Contractor - Senior Technical Writer in Milford, MA

I worked at Waters for more than a year

Pros

-The daily sanity check doesn't require a co-pay. -Drama and currying favor will get you further than actual talent, so if you're vapid, soulless, opportunistic, and grossly incompetent, you will fit right in. -Occasionally, more important people than you will give you their Panera bread scraps and you'll forget for a moment that the benefits, perks, and company's overall stance on remote work are archaic and embarrassing.

Cons

-Waters is generally a place where people are quick to raise their hand to take credit but nobody ever takes accountability. That is a fact. -Davis Companies (the on-site contracting company) said during the phone interview how the CXKM group had “an excellent corporate culture and a very collaborative team.” That was a lie. -I was told on the phone during my interview that it was a "fun and collaborative group that didn’t work in silos." That was a lie. -I was told that the people running the UX group were competent and effective at rolling out user research and a UX component. That was a lie. -It’s managed like an awkward children’s birthday party, where parents force their kids to interact with one another while you spend your day trying to run around and pop the balloon you’re given. That is a fact. -During my interviews, all the managers joked about how terrible the department was and how good people never last. That is a fact. -When I first started, marketing told me how they cared about the customer while asking me to soften the wording in our guides to make WARNINGS seem less severe. That is a fact. -SMEs are selfish unresponsive and the entire place is a silo of complacency. That is a fact. -This complacency will be Waters’ downfall, and the CXKM group is its pulse, where loud, catty, insolent behavior is rewarded with more hapless promotions and responsibilities that people clearly have no qualifications for. That is a fact. -Managers bunker in quiet rooms or send their direct reports to meetings for them because there are so many jaded and bitter people in other departments from all the balls CXKM has allowed to drop in recent years. That is a fact. -Management tried from the start to make me part of their whispering game. I was told to stay away from him, or about how crazy she was. That is a fact. -I was told in 1-on-1s how this person is awful, or that one is impossible until we talked about horses or baking or Toastmasters, and then they seemed like genuinely great people. That was when it all made sense to me: they’re not crazy—the company is. That is a fact. -The people with the valid concerns struggling with rationalizing the insanity around them are then cast out as “problems” and given menial tasks to improve their attitudes like sticker assignments in 4th grade to prove their enthusiasm. That is a fact. -I had three managers. None of the three managers communicated between themselves, so you were tasked with updating all of them separately. That is a fact. -The Milford managers would constantly dump on the Wilmslow management and staff. That is a fact. -Deliverables weren’t given dates because the “managers” put in charge don’t actually know how to manage deliverables, or what a deliverable is, or how the word is spelled. That is a fact. -During presentations, they mispronounce “caustic” as “cat stick”. That is a fact. -They’re so brazen in their incompetence that they'll tell you you're wrong while not even knowing what it is that you do. That is a fact. -Because of this constant state of confusion, you’re always left to self-police yourself in an environment where this lackadaisical behavior is emboldened by that senior management who have skirted by in their professional careers on the backs of the people who actually do the hard work around them. That is a fact. -They then get bitter, vindictive, and retaliatory when they can see that you can do a better job than them. That is a fact. -I was told that my instincts were great and that I should keep following them. That was a fact. -I was told how I was “doing all of the right things for my career here” and that “I’m here to listen.” That is a fact. -After offering my honest opinion given the above statements, I was called a “sexist” and had my extra hours pulled from me, all done out of spite, a move that the Director even apologized to me for. That is a fact. -It was done out of spite because in a department where passive-aggressive incompetence is not only tolerated but rewarded blindly with more responsibilities, I stood up to the BS in a private email, a move which my Director overwhelmingly agreed with me on. That’s a fact. -They get so bitter, vindictive, and retaliatory because they lie about their pregnancies to secure high-paying positions of power and don’t like returning to find their projects in far more capable hands after leaving the department in shambles with no contingency plan. That is a fact. -They get so jaded that they start to micromanage your work, meeting invites, and assignments while giving you the wrong dates, SMEs, and information in an effort to ruin your reputation and assignments. That is a fact. -To remedy the fact that they know literally nothing about what they do, they also set up erroneous meetings to plagiarize your content so they can put it in a pretty PowerPoint presentation to receive their participation trophies from the gang. That is a fact. -They would constantly lash out when I was a point of contact and receiving visibility that they felt entitled to, telling me how annoying it was that it was happening directly to me without any real concern for how it made me feel. That is a fact. -They owe their career to me after I salvaged their project and work ethic for them, all the while being too busy projecting their inferiority complex at the world around them to acknowledge it. That is a fact. -They were encouraged to take their insecurities and incompetencies out on me in group meetings, emails, and standups as tasked by their petty superiors. That is a fact. -I was harassed publicly for my color blindness in front of team members I respected dearly. That is a fact. -In the weeks following being called a sexist, I volunteered to take on multiple projects to appease all their petty insecurities, while they sat and judged and whispered like high schoolers and it all went unnoticed. That is a fact. -They’d invent things to be upset over to get them through their meaningless days of contributing nothing while giving you inaccurate due dates or misinformation on your projects to further set you back. But don't worry--their accountability is your fault. That is a fact. -This entire waterfall of insanity from the Senior Director, who wanders aimlessly around the building looking for a reason to give upper management for that multi-million dollar user experience lab that nobody seems to have a plan for or be able to justify. -I was genuinely neutered of projects and advancements because I was a male with an opinion in my department. Given the constant threats of harassment, discrimination, and intimidation I faced on an almost hourly basis, anyone scoffing or dismissing the legitimacy of this statement given the above is part of the problem. That is a fact. -I was forced against my will into situations with staff that caused me anxiety and panic attacks and was not allowed to go home like the medical emergency that it was. That is a fact. -Given the already mind-numbing animus from the above, they used this event as if it was some sort of demerit against me or some sort of negative psyche profile. That is a fact. -They asked me to write a report stating how the event made me feel and I'm fairly positive they stacked that against me as well. That is a fact. -This panic attack was then parlayed into some sort of demerit against me in the ultimate form of victim shaming. That is a fact. -Two weeks later, I was callously dragged into a room at lunch by Davis Companies like they were the Gestapo. They told me that my project was over, so they wouldn’t be renewing my contract. I grinned and said I was just assigned three new deliverables. That is a lie. -I laughed at the lie and assumed correctly that it was politics, politics they're supposed to DEFEND me from, not participate in. Kind of embarrassing when you don't even know the reason you're telling somebody they're "no longer needed." That is a fact. -And ALL of this before they considered my work. They were in such a rush to launch me from their cannon knowing it would offend the people starting to trickle back from lunch that they didn't even ask me about it. That unfinished project? Yah, it's on the laptop you're now confiscating. Oh, what's that? You didn't work with management to properly coordinate things because you're swiftly incompetent and now you have the gall to call me asking for the password to my laptop so management can "have a look around" at my files? That is a fact. -Bad enough? Nope! They even went beyond that, working with several hen-picked managers to ceaselessly harass me with calls and texts. Immediately after having my livelihood severed from me, they start to shame the victim like the lack of foresight in the above was somehow STILL my responsibility. This really ratcheted up the PTSD in the coming days and weeks...the audacity was stifling. That is a fact. -I was constantly strung along in my final months as they dangled full-time employment like a fish while hiring around me and keeping the seat warm. That is a fact. -I was told by my Davis rep that they’d handle my belongings with care and ship them out the next day. They arrived destroyed two weeks later on the porch of an old apartment and I was lied to about their shipping date. That is a fact. -I was told by the friendly faces that let me go that they would do anything they could to help, yet when I went to their profiles to ask for recommendations, I was already removed as a contact. That was a lie. -The tech writers are a great group of loyal and hardworking people at wit’s end with management’s gross incompetence, who just push their faces down in it when they walk by with their sanctimonious glances. That is a fact. -The CXKM department has absolutely zero morale given the delusions and derangement from above. That is a fact. -Because I rejected a seat at the table of their petty, insecure, and insidious whispering game and valued my co-workers more than I did myself, I am no longer employed. That is a fact. -Well, at least one of us can tell the truth. That is also a fact. You'll read follow-ups to this review saying "change is coming" or how they're "so sorry" to hear you dealt with all of that. You know they're lies, of course, and that the only possible person here who could even be remotely sorry is me for having wasted two years of my existence while your brand of interpersonal cancer rotted away at my soul and silently exchanged my tenacity and enthusiasm for gaslighting and anxiety.

Waters2020-02-21

"Mediocre benefits, Great company, Plenty of advancement"

5.0
    Current Employee - Quality Control Technician III in Milford, MA

I have been working at Waters full-time for less than a year

Pros

In the short time I have been at Waters, (about 5 months) I noticed VERY quickly they have a small company feel with a billion dollar budget, the hours are reasonable, as are the benefits. People say the medical is garbage who been there for 10 years+ but wait until they see what other companies offer. It's high deductible, yes but once met it covers everything. Their HSA is great and they put up to $600 in it for you if you do certain things. 6% match 401k. At the headquarters they even have a psychiatrist come once a week, for free to their employees. If you want to grow, and earn it, and there aren't openings, they WILL create the role for you. Only way to move up is with a BS degree. It doesn't matter the subject but you need that paper. Overall it's a great company that I plan on being at quite possibly for the remaining 40+ years of my life. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE is friendly and greets you, even the board and senior management. They take time to get to know employees 4 to 5 tiers below them...and that means a lot. They walk around the halls and say hello and are kind to everyone, and I have yet to experience senior management thinking they're too good for anyone.

Cons

Upper management won't take responsibility and if a problem with a product arises a lot of fingers get pointed or swept under the rug unless a major issue happens from it. However you find that anywhere.

Waters2017-09-27

"Great work/life balance, transparency, and fun work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milford, MA

I have been working at Waters full-time for less than a year

Pros

Really enjoying my time at Waters so far. The work/life balance is great, and people here seem really happy. Multiple people in my department are up for retirement over the next few years, and that's a great sign. You can tell upper management and the CEO cares about the talent in the company

Cons

Benefits are pretty bad - specifically health insurance and vacation. If you're looking to attract younger talent, you'll want to focus on these.

Waters2017-08-14

"Watch Out"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Milford, MA

I have been working at Waters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company is profitable, many people have worked there for decades. Great commuting location. Modern facility, kept up to date. A lot of very smart, very educated people around. People are very willing to help, when not forbidden by management.

Cons

Upper Management has abdicated software management to Ph.D.'s who know absolutely nothing about software. Huge degree snobbery. If you haven't got a British accent and a degree from a British university, you are "headcount" (a term used to describe American developers of any level); no respect is due, even if you have multiple degrees (from American universities) and decades of software development experience. Its very hard for "headcount" to get promoted. Managers who have failed and failed and failed are still in charge, those with successful track records are pushed aside based, as far as I can tell, purely on national origin. I do not know of a single American software developer who thinks that the software management is competent. Enough said.

Waters2017-07-01

"Solid company"

I have been working at Waters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

solid and sustainable.

Cons

internal upset due to lack of upper management leadership at the moment. There have been extensive changes internally with very little explanation behind them which has left many employees to draw their own conclusions which is never a good thing.

Waters2017-03-10

"Stability and Growth, Measured Innovation Approach"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Milford, MA

I have been working at Waters full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company is an industry leader in the field of Separations Technology, and it is true that upper management has excelled at responding to market changes and maintaining a leading position over the competition. It seems the business strength of Waters is really in how it has maintained the focus on the continued support of its existing products more than innovation for innovation's sake; the key relationship to the customer and therefore the business has been kept priority. As an employee, I don't feel like the company has been making irresponsible/risky decisions or that my job is potentially unstable. On the other hand, if you are looking for a company with the cutting edge of electronics innovation with a supercharged atmosphere, you are probably looking in the wrong place. From an electrical/development standpoint, the hardware work is board-level with analog, digital (DSP, PLDs, VHDL), and power electronics involved; it is not research grade work specifically for the areas of electronics hardware or control via firmware, but rather more cutting edge for the mechanical development side and chemical separations techniques. Hardware and firmware roles are separated, so a lot of overlap between the two in the daily work of an EE position is not to be expected in general. If you like understanding and working with hardware for the development and control of instruments, then you would most likely find the work enjoying and challenging at Waters as an electrical or embedded engineer. Interviewing opportunities have been more rare up until the recent past, but there has been recruiting of new electrical/embedded/mechanical engineers for the first time in several years, as many employees have been around a long time and need to start to pass along their knowledge (sign of a solid company in my book).

Cons

Benefits are pretty good through group rates though somewhat limited in choice; however, they are offered from leading insurance/financial companies. There apparently used to be profit sharing, but now there is only an employee stock purchase plan with discounts; no pensions offered anymore (shock!). Some people are unsatisfied with the promotional decision-making by management, but usually performance reviews seem to yield some amount of salary increase on the whole. As was mentioned earlier, the level of electronics innovation here should not be expected to be razor edge; you won't find IoT (Internet of Things) embedded development here or anything like ASIC design, for example, at the time of this review.

Waters2015-09-19

"Has been great company to work for, but culture is changing"

I have been working at Waters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexibility, work/life balance, ability to work from home sometimes, but depends on managers - some are old school and don't like people working at home and some are fine with it.

Cons

Used to love working here, but company culture has changed-used to feel valued and that your opinion mattered, now feels like upper management has their own agenda and don't care about anyone else. Too many chiefs and not enough people to get the work done.

Waters2015-08-14

"Stable place to work but with trade offs."

Current Employee - Marketing in Milford, MA

I have been working at Waters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Stable company during volatile economy. The company runs very lean and only hires when they know they can retain. Layoffs are few and can be contributed to conservative spending during hard economic times instead of reduction of employment.

Cons

Pay is below standard, benefits used to be excellent and a huge benefit to working there but have become inferior over the years, dysfunctional HR department, upper management are still stuck in the business tactics and strategies of old. Very much a good ol' boys club.

Waters2015-07-08

"Not a lot of opportunity here for new ideas"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Milford, MA

I have been working at Waters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people, mostly trying to get quality work done. Good cafe where you will often see many of upper management. two gyms to get a workout in mid day.

Cons

Too much middle management spending their hours trying to eek another drop of blood out of stone. Too many people and processes geared towards managing people, not enough people working on products.

Waters2015-03-30