We are Friday Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 28 August 2018

3.4
Alex Wright

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A growing list of interesting clients, strong engineering pedigree"

Current Employee - Technical Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Technical Director in London, England

I have been working at We are Friday full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse mix of roles from different backgrounds
    Varied client base
    Strong and varied engineering practice (frontend/JavaScript, Rails, .NET/Sitecore, Java)
    In-house QA and Devops teams
    Offered me steady career progression (and training)
    Open, honest and supportive culture
    Ambitions to grow larger
    Competitive salaries/rates
    Seldom have to work late beyond office hours

Cons

You'll rarely rarely get a "simple greenfield project" — most work is for large clients where we often battle simplicity against messy enterprise legacy (but that's half the challenge!)
    Agency proposition/direction has shifted several times over several years, but now on a more stable course
    Financial client historically prescribed technical selection, but this has become less of an issue in last 12 months

2. "Friday is a good place to be"

I worked at We are Friday full-time

Pros

Truly special bunch of people. A lot of brains in one room. Great and above average perks. Much more going for it than not.

Cons

Incredibly closed and insular management culture which is worrying for such a small company. But they have their own way of doing things.

3. "Agile and friendly"

Former Employee - Senior Java Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Java Engineer in London, England

I worked at We are Friday full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great DevOps team willing to teach and help
    Founders very approachable and reasonable
    Strong dev leadership (thanks, to Nick and Alkesh)
    Nice atmosphere at work
    Strong agile and TDD advocates

Cons

Contractors, but apparently for digital agencies that is normal.
    Limited array of technologies (from Java perspective)

4. "Awesome place to work, fast paced, bright people, lots of things delivered."

Current Employee - Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Engineer in London, England

I have been working at We are Friday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse and growing client base
    Bright, motivated people at the top of their game
    Great benefits and working environment
    A management team that care

Cons

Not for those looking to be on the sidelines! Projects are typically short and sharp and only work if the team are committed.

5. "Open culture with smart, interesting people"

I worked at We are Friday full-time

Pros

- Smart, interesting people with diverse opinions
    - Empathetic management who care about people and are very open regarding company performance and direction
    - Interesting problems, particularly on tech/strategy side
    - Improved focus and execution on design
    - Most freelancers say it's the best place they've worked because they're treated just like full-timers (involvement in company discussions, events, etc.)
    - Really enjoyable place to go into every day

Cons

- One core banking client, but most agencies will have a similar focus on one/multiple financial services clients that will help support work in other industries, not-for-profit, etc.
    - Not very well known outside of London agency-land. When I was there they could have focussed more on having a larger dedicated marketing team, it seemed to be mixed in with a few other activities and not given the attention it deserved

"Brilliantly unique place to work"

Former Employee - Operations Engineer in London, England
    Former Employee - Operations Engineer in London, England

Pros

Friday is a modern, creative and most importantly fun place to work. Supported by an open atmosphere and an all-round desire to share and learn, Friday continually builds beautifully useful things to an excellent standard. It's been a real pleasure to work at such an outstanding company; in the field of digital services, nothing else comes close.

Cons

Not really a con, but Friday deserves to be a bigger entity within digital services than the current climate has shaped it to be. I have no doubt however this will happen over time.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It's working well and good times will keep coming. Don't forget all the little things that make people love working at Friday as you continue to grow and strengthen.

"A++++ would Purrsday again"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

Pros

Friendly and talented people. Strong engineering practice. Good office. Broad, multidisciplinary teams. Lots of opportunity to learn and try new things. Biscuits.

Cons

Limited client base (though seemed to be growing). Quite a lot of legacy projects. Frequently terrible Spotify playlists.

Advice to Management

Keep up the pace of the rebrand. Continue fostering the culture without being too heavy handed. Safely take on more junior team members so they can grow and feed back into Friday.

"Pride before the fall and all."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at We are Friday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best people I've ever worked with, their level of commitment was fantastic, I really enjoyed them and will miss them all.
    Work life balance, understanding, a push do to amazing things but without detroying oneself. Can't speak for every role there but, it was my experience.
    That an offer to help is truly that, and not just words someone says.
    The office Mel - no one is better
    All the little things, like flowers, cookies and sodas.

Cons

There was a lot of pride in the work, so much so that I think it stopped some people from seeing the slope they were on and it became arrogance. The eventual pop of the bubble was expected but still surprising somehow. There were people who should have gone and didn't for 'reasons' and people who should have been encouraged and allowed to forge ahead but didn't get the chance for 'reasons' at many times. End result is that the people who suffered before are now gone (well... most of them) and that was a huge loss in talent but, there's still some great people there with great ideas and great work.

Advice to Management

Don't let it happen again. You've made those hard choices, lived through the lean and scary, you're positioned to make an LL Cool J style comeback (don't call it a comeback). You need to remember that the reason 'the scary' came was not %100 external and listen to the things you don't want to hear, but know deep down could really help.

"Three enjoyable, stretching and inspiring years with Friday"

Former Employee - Client Partner in London, England
    Former Employee - Client Partner in London, England

I worked at We are Friday (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bountiful. The crew of people. The teams being blended of strategists, designers and engineers. That everyone is encourage to be client facing, and has a chance to input to the work.
    I spent three enjoyable, stretching and inspiring years at Friday, leading a key client relationship. I found it a creatively fertile environment for solving business problems. So, the ‘work’ was never dull and two projects rarely looked the same. The crew of people I had the chance to work with were a class act. The majority of people are very generous with their knowledge and time, and are genuinely passionate about using digital to solve client problems. The founders embrace new ways of working, they listen, and are happy to take risks. Recently, they’ve rebooted the company purpose and I will watch the next phase of Friday with interest.

Cons

At times the business and culture could feel overshadowed by a single, dominant client, but times are changing and this is being tackled.

Advice to Management

Don’t stop believing. Deliver the new proposition. It’s fresh, exciting and many clients need help with Friday shaped problems; whether they know it, or not!

"Awful management team"

Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Project Manager in London, England

I worked at We are Friday full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of booze. Lots of biscuits. Fridge is kept full.

Cons

The management team go way back when and spend a lot of time huddled together in meetings and away days playing secret squirrel. Very cliquey. Many of them bring in husbands or best friends and put them in your team who then report back. The management team talk of good conversations and openness however they have paper egos do as soon as your dare to criticise you are out in the cold. Unless you go drinking with them, you find out very little about what's going on in the company. Lots of talented people left during my time there because they weren't being heard. Management team are keen to jump in and 'help' if it's seen to further their profile but will allow you to drown otherwise. A few people I knew complained about some of the management teams oppressive style and HR swept it under the carpet.

Advice to Management

You've lost a lot of people who were good. Ever wondered why?