Web International English ESL Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Web International English ESL Teacher Reviews

Updated 19 Nov 2019

2.0
  1. "Only good if your desperate to earn income"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Weifang, Shandong

I worked at Web International English full-time for more than a year

Pros

They pay on time and they were flexible with emergencies or time off.

Cons

Even though, it was written in the contract that there was paid time off, they acted as if the contract was worthless and refused to compensate. Their material is severely outdated and requires teachers to ad lib to keep students interested. Even though I was told this was an adult training center I had to constantly deal with young kids. Eventually it came to a point where we mostly taught young kids and... indifferent teenagers. Management has no serious drive to change their curriculum nor do they take your suggestions seriously. The pay was bad compared to other jobs and they pander to the white teachers while neglecting teachers of other races.

Advice to Management

Stop with the misleading bs and allow teachers to have input. Provide more transparency about what is being discussed in meetings. Update your curriculum for gods sake. If you want to hold onto good teachers expect to pay more.

Web International English2019-11-19
  2. "Web International English and SpeakHi before they went bankrupt."

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai

I worked at Web International English part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Probably the highest paying ESL company before they went bankrupt.

Cons

Management paid less attention on educating students and more attention on the money they could get from the students. They over promised on language acquisition which left students bewildered and dissatisfied when those grandiose promises were never be realised. Teachers' opinion mattered very little even though they were at the coalface of operations. Monitoring of classes was very subjective and evaluation... depended on the whim of the technical staff. The IT department was very poorly managed. Every technical issue was always the teachers fault and none of the blame was ever directed towards the students. I'm under the impression that financial constraint precluded any funds being directed toward the upgrade of the servers.

Advice to Management

It's all history now but Webi did more harm than good towards their students.

Web International English2019-11-08

"Spare yourself from this mess"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai

I have been working at Web International English full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work is easy. I like Shanghai as a city.

Cons

This is my experience at the Shanghai HQ in Xuhui: 1. Low pay 2. No benefits 3. No chance of promotion (unless you are a suck up) 4. Unfair and unprofessional chinese working culture 5. Unhappy working environment 6. Racist and tacky coworkers 7. Selfish and clique-y supervisors 8. Outdated teaching materials 9. Lazy and arrogant students 10. Low number of classes=low pay Bottom line is, the whole... company is an insult to experienced teachers. Go and apply at other places that care about their employees.

Advice to Management

I’ve already told them everything I thought. Do they care? Nope.

Web International English2019-09-28

"DO NOT WORK HERE NO MATTER HOW MUCH THEY OFFER!!!"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher

I worked at Web International English full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lesson plans are already prepared

Cons

Massive prostitution ring, keep yourself professional at all times They will find ways to deduct your salary even though you have fulfilled your required hours They will ask you to work overtime and pay you only a quarter of it You won't find any support from the directors or HR of the company They will give you off days and deduct salary which contradicts contract There is absolutely no business ethics,... anything goes If you inquire about your pay they will give you the run-around Be smart, open your own bank account, don't give them any information about your account, they'll pay you in cash

Advice to Management

Please turn yourselves in to the local police

Web International English2019-09-19
  5. "Good Starting Company"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Tianjin, Tianjin

I worked at Web International English full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lesson plans are provided and very easy to teach. The work hours are convenient.

Cons

No room for growth as a foreigner. Must bow to the whims of customers, no matter how ridiculous.

Advice to Management

None. My complaints may have already been resolved in the time since I worked there.

Web International English2019-08-10

"Please heed my warning and stay away, unless you're into mental torture, if that's your thing, go ahead"

Former Employee - Senior ESL Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I worked at Web International English full-time for more than a year

Pros

Students are usually great(most not all). Pay, depends on your nationality... But they pay the standard amount (training centre).

Cons

Oh boy, where to start.(please keep in mind that I'm sharing my Beijing Webi experience, don't know how other parts are run) - horrible management (both within the centre and HQ) - no accountability, non, nothing of the sort... - pointing out issues and trying to give advice on how they could be fixed...not appreciated - your basically a monkey (one of those white monkey jobs just teaching adults) - your always... made to feel like you're dispensable, no real security - lessons are horrible, copy paste from the web, and outdated (even students complained) - nobody cares about their job - local staff is treated very poorly - policies will be enacted that go against your contract and you can't do or say anything about it (see rocking the boat) - ...

Advice to Management

Change, make way to those who actually care, promote more from within, give a chance to your foreign talent to move up in the company( there are many who care, and many whom you guys pushed out). Adopt a new mentality and company culture Don't mix adult centres with children, this creates and awful experience for your clients and staff.

Web International English2019-09-05
  7. "Not a bad place"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher Trainer in Qingdao, Shandong

I have been working at Web International English full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lessons plans are provided for every class. Staff is helpful for the most part. Easy to get tine off with enough time.

Cons

No advancement opportunities. Working environment depends very much on the current manager and their management style. Very "Chinese" management stay where ESL teachers come second to students paying for classes

Advice to Management

More opportunities for teachers to get better positions in curriculum building and opportunities for advancement in the company.

Web International English2019-07-01
  8. "Teaching Adults Is Great, Everything Else is Crap"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Chongqing, Chongqing

I have been working at Web International English full-time for less than a year

Pros

Higher level adult classes are good to teach. The content can be adapted and they have a desire to learn.

Cons

Management is absolute garbage. Zero communication, organization or administration. Pathetic leadership and stupid children's classes with no materials, resources or plan. No common sense with anything and you are completely discarded to the side if you're a foreigner. Most unprofessional place I've ever worked at.

Advice to Management

Communicate and do some work to create a harmonious environment for your staff.

Web International English2019-07-02
  9. "Not a long-term thing"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai

I worked at Web International English full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Always get paid on time -Don't need to create lesson plans -Able to have new students everyday -A good stepping stone for gaining experience

Cons

-Low salary -Overtime is only worth 150 CNY/hour -Always ask you last minute to do things -Care more about money than employees -Redundant, boring -Incompetent management -Hardly any vacation days -High employee turnover rate -Every ESL must work on weekends -No room for an ESL to advance in career at the company

Advice to Management

-Pay more -Be more flexible with your teachers -More vacation days -Train headquarters employees better -Stop offering potential employees things they don't receive once they get the job (free Chinese lessons)

Web International English2019-05-28
  10. "ESL teacher"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Web International English part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A manageable work schedule Not forced to work overtime,also paid for any overtime classes Company flexible over leave time

Cons

Courseware which is out of date Communication is poor-especially towards the foreign teachers-and should be improved Not given any form of salary slip or breakdown of payment Forcing all teachers to agree to teach kids in order to be given a full-time contract School having a "relationship agreement" with my agent, which prevented me from working directly for the school (not entitled to any school promotion... opportunities or benefits)-a form of discrimination

Advice to Management

A relationship agreement with an agent does not benefit the school-so why do it? If teachers are discriminated against they will leave and find work elsewhere...this will damage your reputation.Schools are also judged by their courseware...if it's poor or outdated this can ruin a school's reputation.

Web International English2019-05-03