Web International English Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Web International English Reviews

Updated 7 Nov 2019

1.9
Pros
  • "Lesson plans are already made for you(in 19 reviews)

• "Company helps you out with everything to get settled in China(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "You can easily see some of them really dislike the foreign teachers(in 13 reviews)

• "In China employees are not accustomed criticize their employers(in 13 reviews)

"A Reliable English Training Company"

I have been working at Web International English full-time

Pros

Always paid on time Pretty flexible about time off Line Manager fair

Cons

Learning methods and material old fashioned Professional work tends to go unnoticed

Web International English2016-05-16

"The company is gone now."

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Web International English full-time for less than a year

Pros

It used to be a great place for an online teacher.

Cons

The company has closed, leaving its employees unpaid ( for several months).

Web International English2019-10-22

"Average Experience in Chinese ESL Training Centre"

I worked at Web International English full-time

Pros

Web International English is a fairly average English training centre in China, not the best, not the worst. The main benefit is the low level of commitment from the foreign teachers, there are no office hours and they only require minimal class preparation. As usual for the ESL industry, the students and some of the colleagues are the real plus for the job.

Cons

The lesson materials that they require you to use are both basic and out of date. There is very little importance attached to academic standards so you will often teach students who are clearly in the wrong level. There is no career development/training, and it is rare for foreign staff to stay here for longer than a couple of years. Relations with management have a tendency to sour, I saw many foreign staff leave... on bad terms.

Advice to Management

Professionalise the management within the centres, look to share best practices between centres for how to manage foreign staff. Reevaluate your teaching material and bring large parts of the material up to date. Pay more attention to your operations, focus more on the academic side of the business, sales should not be the only priority of an English training centre. Provide more effective training to the academic... staff and implement career development programmes to train and develop the best staff.

Web International English2019-09-16
  4. "Easy money, good for the short term"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher

I have been working at Web International English part-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy work, premade lesson plans, love working with adults and students are great, very flexible, always paid on time, I don't really have a boss or answer to anyone. The lesson plans weren't always great but they've worked hard to improve them.

Cons

Pay could be higher but I prefer to teach adults for slightly less.

Web International English2019-08-19
  5. "ESL Teacher"

I worked at Web International English full-time

Pros

Paid on time, nice students

Cons

Poor management, limited career opportunties, outdated material

Advice to Management

Have native speakers as bosses of schools, would gain more respect from the teachers.

Web International English2016-10-20
  6. "ESL teacher"

I worked at Web International English

Pros

i really can't think of any..

Cons

one of the most awful experiences i have ever had in China working as an ESL teacher. would never do it again and certainly would never advise anyone to work for them. disgrace.

Web International English2016-06-27
  7. "TEFL Teacher"

I worked at Web International English part-time

Pros

• Competitive remuneration • Flight reimbursement  • Housing Allowance  • 5 days paid holidays + 11 days Chinese public holidays  • Paid and sponsored Z visa plus Foreign Expert Certificate (FEC)  • Medical Insurance  • Airport pick-up  • Ongoing training and development workshops  • Free Chinese lessons

Cons

Not much opportunity for future development.

Web International English2016-04-20
  8. "Web International English and SpeakHi before they went bankrupt."

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai

I worked at Web International English part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Probably the highest paying ESL company before they went bankrupt.

Cons

Management paid less attention on educating students and more attention on the money they could get from the students. They over promised on language acquisition which left students bewildered and dissatisfied when those grandiose promises were never be realised. Teachers' opinion mattered very little even though they were at the coalface of operations. Monitoring of classes was very subjective and evaluation... depended on the whim of the technical staff. The IT department was very poorly managed. Every technical issue was always the teachers fault and none of the blame was ever directed towards the students. I'm under the impression that financial constraint precluded any funds being directed toward the upgrade of the servers.

Advice to Management

It's all history now but Webi did more harm than good towards their students.

Web International English2019-11-08
  9. "Not your first choice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shanghai, Shanghai

I worked at Web International English full-time for less than a year

Pros

good curriculum, training covered everything

Cons

Company went bankrupt without any pay-offs to its employees

Advice to Management

don't steal money

Web International English2019-10-28

"Spare yourself from this mess"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai

I have been working at Web International English full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work is easy. I like Shanghai as a city.

Cons

This is my experience at the Shanghai HQ in Xuhui: 1. Low pay 2. No benefits 3. No chance of promotion (unless you are a suck up) 4. Unfair and unprofessional chinese working culture 5. Unhappy working environment 6. Racist and tacky coworkers 7. Selfish and clique-y supervisors 8. Outdated teaching materials 9. Lazy and arrogant students 10. Low number of classes=low pay Bottom line is, the whole... company is an insult to experienced teachers. Go and apply at other places that care about their employees.

Advice to Management

I’ve already told them everything I thought. Do they care? Nope.

Web International English2019-09-28