WeddingWire Software Engineer Reviews

Updated 8 Jan 2018

3.1
WeddingWire CEO Timothy Chi (no image)
Timothy Chi
  1. "Experience varies by department"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The reason that there are so many reviews here all over the rating spectrum is that your experience at WeddingWire will vary wildly depending on your department, your team, and your specific role. Some departments or teams are cliquey, others are not at all. Some teams may side-eye you for taking vacation time, but others will happily let you use your unlimited PTO to your heart's content. (Seriously!) There's so much variation, so unless a review is about your prospective department, it's pretty much meaningless. Here are some pros: - Friendly and engaged executives - Management who believes in transparency and allows you to submit tough questions anonymously, which are later answered publicly (at least for the Product department) - Free breakfast every day - 2 free lunches per month - Smart coworkers who are also friendly and helpful - Casual, laid-back atmosphere - Environment that's welcoming of and celebrates new parents - Some people can work remotely

Cons

- The sales department seems to have a high-pressure environment and high turnover. Make sure you enjoy sales / cold-calling before accepting an offer for a sales role. - Some talented people have been leaving due to recent changes, and even though they'll be replaced, it still places a damper on morale. - The changes mentioned above, which some people disagree with. - The 401k match is tiny, the smallest I've ever experienced at a company.

WeddingWire2018-01-09

January 15, 2018VP Engineering

It means a lot that you’ve shared your feedback. As a current employee, you know (and pointed out) that we value all types of feedback and appreciate the opportunity to understand and adjust course accordingly. While often hard, change can also be exciting. The change that we’re experiencing in this growth phase of WeddingWire isn’t easy, but we believe it will set us up for incredible success as we continue our global expansion. I couldn’t agree more with the pros that you’ve listed; we pride ourselves on the engagement of our executives, the flexibility provided to ensure the balance of work and life, and most importantly our great people and teamwork. As you’ve probably heard me say before, the people are what brought me to WeddingWire. After a little less than a year, the people here and their dedication to being the best team they can is still what I find most exciting and rewarding. Thank you, again, for sharing your thoughts. If at any point, you’d like to discuss your experience with me in person, I welcome the opportunity to discuss further.

"Good for people that are trying to get used to the area, not so much otherwise"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chevy Chase, MD

I worked at WeddingWire full-time for more than a year

Pros

For good or for bad, people come to work for WeddingWire and it becomes not just a job; many people will stay afterwards, and have a beer or two with each other after the work day. This is due to a fairly youthful workforce that are not bothered with other major life commitments (family, children, ect...). Thus, I agree with many of the other sentiments about WeddingWire, if you become friends with the people you work with, it can be an extension of college for you. There's free breakfast everyday (at least when I worked there), and free catered lunches at the end of every month. In addition, the market, while you do have to pay for the food, it's heavily subsidized. Finally, the company takes coffee very seriously, meaning there's espresso, coffee, and every variation of coffee you can imagine. Following in the footsteps of other tech companies, the environment itself is very nice; the ambiance of the office is very well themed, and it never felt like an office building. Company sponsored events are fun, and involve a lot of drinking if that falls into your definition of a good time

Cons

The best way I can describe WeddingWire is like this, just look at the ratings trend. What’s happening in the past couple of years is the growth that the company is experiencing; it’s growing and growing faster than it can really handle. This means that WeddingWire is consistently hiring people who don’t fit the original company culture into the company’s middle management. The ideas that the company comes up aren’t original, and the direction of the product team tends to be all over the place. One of my main issues with the company is the passive aggressive nature of the people who work there. If your idea or work doesn’t fit, no one really tells you what’s going on. Instead, you keep going down a path of failure without course correction. When things are left on the chopping block, everyone gets together and starts assigning blame to others when finally people either quit or are fired. While I was there, there were two projects that teams spent over 6 months working on, only to have them abandoned. If you aren’t friends with the people you work with, coming to work can engender a feeling of a social outcast . Meaning, if you’re not hanging out with your co-workers on the weekends or after work, you’re most likely not going to get far. If your someone that leans left, likes to drink, and enjoys the DC night life, you’ll do fine. On the other hand, if you’re the type that likes to have a life outside of work, I would strongly suggesting to look elsewhere. Couple of things about the benefits: - The insurance plan is mediocre at best, they don’t cover enough of the premiums. - Pay is on the lower-end of DC Metro area averages. The DC metro area is crazy expensive, and most other companies pay the DC premium to their employees. WeddingWire will not. If you expect to live here, please be prepared for a roommate. - Unlimited PTO is a good idea, but I’ve never seen people take more than 2 weeks off. When I took a vacation, I was told that other people took offense about it

WeddingWire2017-11-20

December 20, 2017VP Engineering

I joined as VP of Engineering about eight months ago, so our paths may not have crossed. I'm happy to hear that WeddingWire was more than just a job for you and it sounds like you enjoyed our culture, perks, and most importantly - the people. There are a lot of exciting things happening with our Product strategy, but the people are what brought me to WeddingWire. Their openness and desire to become an even better team is very motivating and makes coming to work very rewarding. A compelling Product strategy and strong business are great things to have, but having great people committed to being a great team is what will ultimately allow us to continue to be successful. We have a hiring plan specific to the Product Development team to ensure we hire the right people for the right roles. Finding the right people takes time, and isn't something we're willing to compromise on. We've spent a lot of time since I joined investing in our management team and we have an individual contributor career track as an option for those who aren't interested in management. The People Team (HR) have been great partners and have done some great work this year with our #WeDoFeedback program (to name just one). The program has helped tremendously with our push for a continuous feedback culture. Our goal is to encourage two-way communication between employees and managers, something I'm personally very passionate about and is something we'll continue to invest in. You mentioned drinking a few times, and that's certainly not how we define who we are. We ensure that all events include non-alcohol options so that everyone feels welcome. We've also implemented a Voice of the Employee survey and conducted focus groups to get an understanding of what employees like and dislike about our benefit plans as we're always working to improve them. I appreciate your feedback - it sounds like we're focusing our efforts to improve in the right places and we'll continue to listen to as much input as we can get!

"This should be a dream job, but this job has destroyed my mental health."

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

The benefits are nice, and unlimited pto is a nice perk. Code quality is important which makes things easy. A lot of the people that are not management are incredible.

Cons

The biggest problem here is the management. It seems like only popular people get any promotions and if they don't like you it's very apparent and they will make your life difficult. The hardest working people are often taken advantage of and then tossed aside and set up to fail and are given no opportunity to grow. If you get on the bad side of any of the managers count your promotion potential to be sabotaged. I've seen people who are not fit to manage get promoted and subsequently fired. While hard workers are not given any recognition. On top of that the trend lately is to reduce transparency and keep much of the team in the dark. There is also a problem where some managers have less experience then the people they manage, which causes some of them to remind them of their place. The worst thing is the amount of favoritism displayed towards some employees and not others. Like a manager will celebrate some subordinates birthdays and not others,those same subordinates also have preferential treatment towards task despite having more capable people on the team. There is also a problem with how certain people are held to higher standards then others which causes unfair assessments and reviews and the bais is clear. When employees report this to HR often times they end up being punished for defending themselves. Managers are also highly inconsistent with requests and often times not communicate in a timely manner and then nit pick and hold what you've done against you. Working here has deteriorated my mental health since the favoritism is not even attempted to be hidden. The constant negative feedback and lack of recognition has made me clinically depressed. On a daily basis I pray that the managers will just not show up or quit because that seems to be the only way to move up or have a decent day. Also everything falls on death ears, managers pretend to listen and then do nothing about the complaints. At the end of the day their group is unaffected by our mental health and anything to make sure that they appear as the ones that pushed the team to release a good product and forgetting to actually acknowledge who did things. I'm also not the only one I know of various employees whose mental health has deteriorated and are on anti depression medication because of this. This job should be a dream, but only if you fall into the right crowd. I would stay away if you value your mental health.

WeddingWire2017-06-15

June 19, 2017Vice President of People

First and foremost, your well-being is our greatest concern. Your mental, emotional and physical health is most important and we want to ensure that you are safe. We are sincerely disappointed that your experience with us has been as you described. Its feedback like yours that helps us understand where and how improvements need to be made. Regarding your mentions of mental health, this is very concerning to us. We ensure numerous resources are available to our employees. Primarily, we pride ourselves on having a very approachable, high-touch HR team, open and ready to support anytime. Should you wish to remain anonymous, Health Advocate (our employee assistance program) and mental health care support is available to you and we encourage you to reach out as you feel comfortable.

"Great Environment For Web Developers"

5.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chevy Chase, MD
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at WeddingWire full-time for less than a year

Pros

My team at WeddingWire was really excellent. There was emphasis placed on teaching and inclusion from day one. I was a somewhat experienced programmer but a novice Rails programmer and therefore had a lot of questions about the codebase.. I was never made to feel that I was wasting anyone's time by asking questions, and my colleagues put genuine effort into getting me up to speed. If you are a rails programmer, or would be interested in being a rails programmer, I highly recommend WeddingWire. It's a great place to learn. As far as culture goes, I really enjoyed the time I spent at work. I was never micromanaged - it's not a "plant your butt for 8 hours" type of place. I don't go to work-sanctioned social events, but there are a lot of those and a collegial atmosphere is a high priority.

Cons

There are a couple of cons. One important one is that the initial offered salary is low.. you should negotiate your offer. I wasn't with the company long enough to know anything about how advancement works, but I do know that people did receive promotions. Another "con" is with the approach to project managment.. it's not really agile and gets bottlenecked by inconsistent approaches to writing tickets, assigning story points, and the lack of continuous integration. The latter (lack of CI) is not really a con as it's a high priority that the team is working on. The former need to come down from leadership, because there are many valid approaches, but the team is not so big that different segments require different styles of engineering management.

WeddingWire2017-01-15

January 31, 2017Manager, Culture and Experience

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. We agree that WeddingWire's greatest asset is it's employees! We strive to uphold an environment and culture that encourages collaboration and growth for our employees and we are happy to hear that we hit the mark here.

"Gone down-hill for devs"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chevy Chase, MD
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

- great for new hires out of college or fresh out of GA - nerf gun wars - most people who have been there 2+ years are solid developers to learn from - plenty of free alcohol around the office - free lunch last 2 days of each month - used to be a good place to work?

Cons

- culture has deteriorated heavily in last year - awful/incompetent senior management - many poor promotions and mis-hires in recent times - perks have been scaled back heavily (used to be free lunch for the entire last week of the month, free snacks from nature box, monthly company-paid happy hours etc.) - work/life balance is very erratic; some teams have 40 hour weeks others will regularly put in 50-60+ and there's no recognition or compensation for it - diva personalities - marketing-driven development - developers are code-monkeys with little to no input in products When I joined, this was probably the best company to work for in the DC area; yearly dev trips (all expenses paid) to Vegas and then Bahamas. A cornucopia of free lunches and happy hours, free snacks from NatureBox, reasonable hours and fun work with smart people. Developers also had a good deal of input and say in the product and the process before. This year our dev trip is Philadelphia : / I could drive there on the weekend but I don't because it's Philadelphia and I don't want to be there. All the perks that used to exist are slowly being scaled back and eliminated. Morale is at an all-time low. Recently, things have been taking a turn for the worse. Senior management and C-levels have been pushing a poorly executed shift to agile and a new 'pillar' structure and it has been a colossal failure. What was once a scrappy, lean team has turned into a nightmarish bureaucracy of middle-management where busybodies create hoops for people to jump through to deter any actual work getting done. All of this has also led to a toxic influx of office politics. Several diva personalities exist and senior management has their favorites. Cross one of them even accidentally and you can be sure that your name will get dragged through the mud behind your back while they smile and joke to your face. Overall stress is at an all-time high but compensation is low with wide disparities between engineers. If you do end up joining, make sure you negotiate before you join because your salary isn't going to jump much and they will lowball you if they can get away with it. A good 25% of the dev team has left due to poor compensation just this year.

WeddingWire2016-08-10

October 24, 2016Manager, Culture & Experience

It sounds like you have a variety of concerns. We pride ourselves on being an organization open to feedback and constantly trying to better ourselves. We sincerely hope you will afford us the opportunity to understand your feedback in better detail. As you know, we have instituted a number of channels by which you can raise your concerns. Hopefully you will take advantage of these mechanisms and we can tackle some of these concerns together.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 5 reviews