WeddingWire Employee Reviews about "high turnover"

Updated 5 Mar 2020

3.8
WeddingWire CEO Timothy Chi (no image)
Timothy Chi
Pros
  • "unlimited PTO and they are very lenient with it as long as you are doing well(in 28 reviews)

• "Always receive credit when its due, fantastic work life balance with great perks and company culture(in 21 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "high turnover"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Incentives yet extremely stressful work environment"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chevy Chase, MD

I worked at WeddingWire full-time for more than a year

Pros

great incentives just for hitting daily metrics. Training was great! You didn't have to have any sales experience and you were well prepared by the time you hit the phones. Wonderful people Free breakfast every morning and free lunch the last 2 days of each month snack bar in the kitchen cute office space unlimited PTO and work from home opportunities

Cons

very stressful! burnt out very fast. high turnover. if you worked in saturated market it was hard to hit numbers. base was low, and percentage was low.

2. "Sales associate"

4.0

I worked at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

Great culture, decent money, helpful managers

Cons

High turnover, low ceiling with pay

January 11, 2019Manager, Culture and Experience

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback!

3. "Experience varies by department"

4.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The reason that there are so many reviews here all over the rating spectrum is that your experience at WeddingWire will vary wildly depending on your department, your team, and your specific role. Some departments or teams are cliquey, others are not at all. Some teams may side-eye you for taking vacation time, but others will happily let you use your unlimited PTO to your heart's content. (Seriously!) There's so much variation, so unless a review is about your prospective department, it's pretty much meaningless. Here are some pros: - Friendly and engaged executives - Management who believes in transparency and allows you to submit tough questions anonymously, which are later answered publicly (at least for the Product department) - Free breakfast every day - 2 free lunches per month - Smart coworkers who are also friendly and helpful - Casual, laid-back atmosphere - Environment that's welcoming of and celebrates new parents - Some people can work remotely

Cons

- The sales department seems to have a high-pressure environment and high turnover. Make sure you enjoy sales / cold-calling before accepting an offer for a sales role. - Some talented people have been leaving due to recent changes, and even though they'll be replaced, it still places a damper on morale. - The changes mentioned above, which some people disagree with. - The 401k match is tiny, the smallest I've ever experienced at a company.

January 15, 2018VP Engineering

It means a lot that you’ve shared your feedback. As a current employee, you know (and pointed out) that we value all types of feedback and appreciate the opportunity to understand and adjust course accordingly. While often hard, change can also be exciting. The change that we’re experiencing in this growth phase of WeddingWire isn’t easy, but we believe it will set us up for incredible success as we continue our global expansion. I couldn’t agree more with the pros that you’ve listed; we pride ourselves on the engagement of our executives, the flexibility provided to ensure the balance of work and life, and most importantly our great people and teamwork. As you’ve probably heard me say before, the people are what brought me to WeddingWire. After a little less than a year, the people here and their dedication to being the best team they can is still what I find most exciting and rewarding. Thank you, again, for sharing your thoughts. If at any point, you’d like to discuss your experience with me in person, I welcome the opportunity to discuss further.

"Coming to Work Isn't a Chore"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Success Manager in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

WW is truly a great place to work. There are many reasons why, which I'll explain, but the two takeaways are 1) this an organization that genuinely cares about its people, and it shows on a daily basis. For example, one day recently, one of the VPS randomly offered to buy me breakfast from the cafe without any rhyme or reason. 2) My coworkers are, overall, enjoyable people to work with. They are generally very friendly, hard-working, and down to earth. Like many, I've made friends since working here: -Flexibility. As long as you're doing your job, you can work from home and take as much time as you need for paid time off. -Culture. When I tell friends and family the events that WW does, they're pretty amazed. Casual dress, Taco Tuesday, catered breakfast every day, open bars, top notch Halloween and Holiday Parties, catered lunch at the end of the month, and on and on. For me, even having an office Kurig with a dozen flavors is not insignificant when you up the cost of coffee everyday. -Customer Success. It's encouraging working for an organization that also cares about its customers. I don't know of any other company that calls and emails its customers to ask how they are doing with their account, and most of WW's vendors appreciate that. People often think that our team listens to vendors yell at them all day, but that's not the case. Most of our interactions with vendors are either positive or neutral, and I think it shows by the daily stream of vendor love that is shared throughout the organization. It should also be said that Customer Success gets perks that are available to Sales even though it does't carry sales quota - monthly bonuses, sales trips, dinners, and meals on the company tab. The Director and VP of Customer Success are both highly competent and always seem to have the team's best interests in mind. -Executive Team/Senior Management. They know me and many others at WW by name. They appear to be in touch with the rest of the organization, and most recently, the top and HR are showing that they are clearly listening to their employees' main concerns, which is heartening and a contrast to other businesses who are completely indifferent.

Cons

There aren't many negatives, but no organization is perfect, especially one that has scaled to WW's size over a short period of time. -Career Growth. There are some legitimate concerns here, but with some very big caveats. The other reviews who make critiques about career growth fail to add important context. First, some of those who I've spoken with first hand who felt there weren't enough career opportunities for them 1) weren't top performers on our team or 2) hadn't been at WeddingWire long enough to be able to lay the ground work for a career path. The reality is that building a career is a long term process that doesn't happen overnight. By and large, hard work and talent is awarded with opportunities for promotion. -Junior Managers. While there are some excellent more junior managers on the third floor, there are also those whose skill set and judgment I think there is good reason to question. -Lastly, call me an apologist for WeddingWire all that you'd like, but some of criticisms I've seen or read reek of entitlement. For example, complaints about the free catered breakfast or lunch or a review that lamented that their team trip to a tropical island was "downgraded" to a major metropolitan city with great nightlife - give me a break. The reality is that - across the board, not just at WW -millennials aren't sticking around many companies for very long (hence, the high turnover criticism). Long story short: there is little loyalty but a big sense of entitlement. I say that as a millennial myself.

June 21, 2017VP, Customer Experience

This review makes me smile for many reasons but above all I’m impressed with how you thoughtfully share your experiences with WeddingWire, our customers, and our team. It’s a rare pleasure to work among great colleagues while also serving great customers and I appreciate how this comes through in the review. You also highlight two of our highest priority developmental areas—career development and leadership effectiveness. We’ve already launched initiatives to improve on each of these but the work is just beginning. You can hold me and the rest of the leadership team accountable for maintaining momentum and keeping you informed. Again, thank you for your feedback but also for being one of the reasons WeddingWire is such a unique company and culture. I certainly hope I was the VP who picked up breakfast that day in the Café, but whoever it was simply reflected our shared values. Your comments are a great reminder that culture may be explained by core values, but it’s lived in even our smallest actions.

"Don't be fooled"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chevy Chase, MD

I worked at WeddingWire full-time for less than a year

Pros

We get paid in stickers.

Cons

Entire sales floor is cliquey and any perceived difference in beliefs is openly called out. Very low compensation for the area, even a lot less than told during recruiting and interview process. A lot of reps still live at home or have second jobs. Prepare to be micromanaged. If you get stuck with lower-tier markets then you will have a slim chance for growth among the company. Constant change (new managers, sales rules, etc.) You will never get a straight up answer and everything is sugar-coated and spun around. Open favoritism between managers and reps. Being "scum" or "scamy" is joked about regularly. Very high turnover that is constantly addressed as "oh everything is fine" Suggestions or complaints are often swept under the rug Monthly quotas get larger and larger with over-saturated markets

"DO NOT WORK HERE"

1.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits appear okay, but there's no such thing as "unlimited" PTO. Massage chairs and game tables, but you feel odd using them when you're supposed to be working. You can drink whenever you want, apparently. It seems like an HR nightmare, but if you love day drinking at work in the early morning, then this is the place for you! Casual dress too (including sweatpants and slippers, because this whole company is a joke)

Cons

You'll only succeed or "move up" if you're a favorite or in a certain clique. High turnover rate, and not just for sales. Pay is extremely low for the area, you can work at many other "cool" companies for less chaos and more pay nearby.

"Beware"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chevy Chase, MD
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at WeddingWire full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Very casual environment (if you like that, its a perk) - Unlimited PTO - Some fun sales incentives

Cons

- No growth opportunity: The only growth is job promotions in which the only thing that changes is your job title and a very small pay bump, - No challenge: Job is very redundant. There really aren't any learning opportunities - HORRIBLE pay: I made about 50% of what I was told I would be making even though I continuously hit ABOVE my monthly sales goals. - Tons of office politics, favoritism, cliques, etc.: Managers are reps who stuck around a long time and did well with hitting their goals. They aren't qualified managers nor do they have proper manager skills.As a result the moral among the reps is low. There is too much favoritism, seniority, etc. at play. - Social environment: To sum up the office, it is basically post college Greek life. Everyone tends to be drinking in the office, socializing, in relationships with each other and such. Some people might think this is a pro but for me it wasn't a professional setting that I want to be in - About 90% of the sales team is just another number: Extremely high turnover and it is expected that most employees won't stay longer than 6-18 months. Therefore you become disposable to the company. There is a top 10% that does well because they sit in self-selling markets and most all came to WW right after graduation so have been there 2-4 years and are very well taken care of by the company. - It seems that the product has peaked.

January 31, 2017Vice President of People

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We sincerely value the fact that you took the time to share it with us. It's disappointing to hear that you didn't feel like there were any growth opportunities for you or that you didn't realize your earning potential as it was explained in your recruiting process. Indeed Sales is a unique role, and not a fit for everyone. It sounds like you had a number of frustrations and that we really missed on meeting your expectations. We are a company that prides itself on listening and responding to feedback. Thank you for sharing your experience with us - we regret that it was not to the standards which we hold ourselves.

"Young company"

I worked at WeddingWire

Pros

Everyone is very young, majority are females.

Cons

High turnover rate, not a very diverse company

"Don't let the laid back environment fool you!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chevy Chase, MD

I have been working at WeddingWire full-time for more than a year

Pros

Casual environment, unlimited time off, great co-workers and really amazing work social scene.

Cons

It's a about territory on the sales side. They play favorites a lot. If they put you in a market that the company hasn't even done a networking night for good luck. They tend to visit larger cities a lot more and the reps there do amazing. They have no interest in developing/ helping out the smaller market people. They will fire you and find someone else to try and sell there. Historically when that new person doesn't sell, they fire them too. Very high turnover rate if your market is bad. Be sure to check sales force and see how many reps before you were calling into a market. If they aren't employeed there anymore you have a bad market.

October 17, 2014Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We have done our research and we are very proud to admit that we have a strong retention rate. We have a Sales Development Team that works directly with our Sales Team to help with their on-boarding, sales training, and sales pitches. We want all of our employees to succeed and we have teams that help with any struggles that one may encounter.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 9 reviews