WeddingWire Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated 7 Aug 2019

3.8
WeddingWire CEO Timothy Chi (no image)
Timothy Chi
Pros
  • "unlimited PTO and they are very lenient with it as long as you are doing well(in 28 reviews)

• "Always receive credit when its due, fantastic work life balance with great perks and company culture(in 21 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Sales in Chevy Chase, MD

I worked at WeddingWire full-time for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is fun but very stressful. You are expected to perform at a very high level, and the pay is available to those that produce.

Cons

My only complaint was that I was not really a good fit for this job, so it really isnt their fault. They basically forced me out. Most of the managemnt was great, only a few that I didn't care for. Upper management is great, very accessable and helpful.

Continue reading

"Great place to start your career"

2.0

I worked at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

Unlimited PTO Free breakfast Ability to have a work/life balance

Cons

Unclear on career growth Getting promoted is extremely difficult Upper management provides zero transparency

3. "Great Company Culture"

5.0
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at WeddingWire full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Incredibly quick opportunities for advancement for high pay, very challenging yet rewarding. Always receive credit when its due, fantastic work life balance with great perks and company culture. Fantastic people who become your family inside and outside of the office.

Cons

Unstable at times with a lot of change always going on, which can actually be a good thing at points since it does often open up positions. Kind of difficult to go into management at times as well, since positions open up in waves that are hard to anticipate, but sometimes not for long stretches. Maintains a start up feel which is good in some ways, but also maintains a feeling that anything can change at any time. Really just depends on what your looking for to determine whether or not any of this is bad, but upper management is fair in setting expectations that they can't give you guarantees for something that isn't set in stone.

February 8, 2019Manager, Culture and Experience

Thank you so much for taking the time to share about your experience. We agree that the culture and people make WeddingWire a great place to work. Good luck with your next adventure!

"Up & coming company with some potential to grow"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Bethesda, MD

I worked at WeddingWire full-time for less than a year

Pros

A cool and exciting place to work. They have a nice amenities for employees to enjoy. You also get your own personal laptop.

Cons

Didn't feel like there was enough support for certain teams after training was completed. Some manager worked remote so they were only accessible by phone. I had better luck being coached by nearby co-workers then upper management. If they had someone within the office to "hand hold" newer employees to be successful, then I believe they would be setting each person up for success. Not just throwing you in the ring, and see who comes out the victor.

"Job, not a career"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I worked at WeddingWire full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

WeddingWire was a great place to learn basic sales skills and meet other friendly faces in the area. The office was casual with a lenient dress code, some fun amenities, and lots of young people. When I first started working there, the job felt exciting and challenging. Around when upper management changed, things shifted for the worse. The executive team is very well liked, including the CEO who is amazing. I'm not sure if they were just too busy to realize what is going on, or if they were unsure how to fix it.

Cons

To start, sales here needs to be marketed as a short-term JOB and not a position that will lead to any type of career growth. The people who get promoted and are in management positions are there due to either favoritism or tenure. Most of them do not seem qualified to be leading teams, and you can tell by their passive aggression and lack of professionalism. They'll cheer you on every month, but do very little to help their teams hit their unrealistic goals. Somehow, the quotas just keep going up while the markets are getting more and more saturated and less advertisers are seeing success. Somewhere along the way the past 4 years, the focus shifted from genuinely helping these advertisers grow their businesses with a successful product, to just needing to hit your goal no matter what with a product that was going downhill. As most other reviews say, the favoritism is absurd. There are a select few who will get anything they want and will be favored by upper management because they sit on the best markets and reap the benefits of it. It seems to be 2 very different pay tiers here: the top ~10 reps in the company who do very well, and everyone else. Many people find it hard to pay DC rent and living with a starting salary of just 38k. It's a repetitive job where you will have to work very hard to hit the number in front of you, and your efforts won't always match your outcome. Micromanaging can get out of control, and it seems there is a negative feeling across all departments that the company has become unfavorable and unenjoyable. I'm not sure who could be writing these "awesome, everything is amazing here!" reviews..

April 14, 2017

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. While we're happy you had some positive feedback to share, we also take the critical comments very seriously and appreciate your candor. At WeddingWire, we want to set the right expectations for our sales reps, and as the role and the company has evolved, we aim to effectively communicate to candidates what the sales opportunity looks like. We strongly believe that WeddingWire is a great place to learn and build full cycle sales skills, help small businesses grow, and develop professionals in a vibrant and supportive environment. Additionally, our goal has always been to reward and recognize great work fairly and consistently. We're constantly reviewing our practices and have recently invested in a tool that will help facilitate career development conversations between managers and employees. We're looking forward to the impact this new practice represents for WeddingWire. Thank you again for sharing your feedback.

"Management team needs work along with blatent discrimination"

1.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at WeddingWire full-time

Pros

free food misery loves company dental insurance

Cons

Management and Upper management are barely trained to operate as a successful, professional, and progressive team. Many issues are brought forth to management and does not make it past to HR because management threatens employees with job loss. A fellow employee reported a sexual harassment issue brought on by a high level person at the company. The manager responded to "leave it alone or their job would be at risk." This incident was documented (by the employee) but never made its way to HR. Blatant inappropriate and racist comments are often made in front of management and once again are never reported to HR. A lot of shady business going on here. If you try to call them out, you will be targeted. Just a warning. Other than that, you can expect limited job opportunities unless you hang out with your manager after hours. Also, unlimited PTO is a marketing tactic - you will be guilted into taking less than you would at other jobs. Maybe 2 weeks if you are lucky.

April 27, 2017CEO

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback. We sincerely couldn't be more disappointed reading about your experience. WeddingWire is a company that does not condone the behavior that you have described under any circumstance. We regret to hear that you didn't feel comfortable raising these with members of the People team or Leadership. We pride ourselves on open, transparent communication and promoting a workplace that drives performance in an equitable, ethical manner. We are very disappointed to hear that your experience didn't meet the standards to which we hold ourselves and hope that anyone who may feel similarly would raise concerns with the People team and any member of our leadership team.

"Eh... Not so much."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chevy Chase, MD

I worked at WeddingWire full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is cool. People are young. If you KNOW you want to do sales, then go for it. If not then avoid.

Cons

They hire and fire like crazy so they will do anything to get you to join. They take advantage of young kids straight out of college who are not fit to be sale people and dangle snacks and a ping-pong table in front of them to get them to sign on. A few months later, about 4 or 5, when the kid who said he didn't want to do sales in the first place, isn't performing, they fire them. It's a business I get it. But there is a reason they only hire people who are super young. They also play favorites if you are in the 'click.' I also experienced first hand the upper management being very inappropriate with staff. The guy I interviewed was also one of the rudest people I have ever met. I got the offer and then turned it down on this account, but then they waved money (signing bonus) in my face to act like nothing ever happened. My own fault, but they need to address that person/problem.

September 30, 2016Manager, Culture & Experience

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback. Great guidance on Sales roles, you are right - it is not a career for everyone. We have found that some of our most successful hires are recent college graduates, but as you likely know our goal is to hire the very best talent at all levels of our organization. We sincerely regret to hear that your experience with WeddingWire didn’t meet the standards that we strive to achieve for our employees. We are always looking to learn and grow and your feedback is welcomed.

"Hard to grow career, issues with upper management"

I worked at WeddingWire

Pros

Great benefits, WFH opportunities, unlimited PTO, catered lunch, cool office space, young culture

Cons

-They have great benefits that bring in low-paying employees who work extremely hard who at first love the benefits, only to realize they cant actually move up. It's a never ending cycle of low-paying employees leaving and the lazy upper-management staying there. -Takes FOREVER to get a promotion especially in the marketing department, can take up to 8 months or more from your initial ask -Will give you vague and unclear goals you must meet to get promoted, and may not promote you even if you do meet them -Upper management moves around in their roles and responsibilities so much it's hard to know who does what and what they actually DO. -They make promises about the company and your role they can't keep -Form cliques and give promotions to their favorite employees unfairly. A "favorite" might not have to work as hard to get promoted as someone who isn't favored by upper management -Decisions are constantly questioned, I constantly felt like my ideas weren't valued or cared about. They would act like they liked my ideas but then make an excuse for why they didn't execute them -Keep incapable people around because of close relationships to exec not because they actually know what they're doing - if you want to work in marketing, beware because the only thing they will want to know is how you make money for sales - not branding -everything the company does is to make money, they don't care as much about branding / social / content / marketing and it's very obvious early on -lots of money spent on unnecessary things instead of salary for employees -not a great place to grow your career -managers don't have employees best interests at heart, only want to please sales -overall if you want to get ahead you won't be able to unless you play into their political game and become best friends with management

"Review of WeddingWire"

4.0

I have been working at WeddingWire

Pros

The ability to get paid a lot of money in sales

Cons

Lack of transparency between upper management and lower management. Very obvious that there are favorites with upper management who get promoted and do not need to go through proper channels.

Continue reading

"Fun place, sort yourself accordingly."

Former Employee - Technical Person in Friendship Heights, Montgomery, MD
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at WeddingWire full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is dominated by a sales culture followed by a marketing culture followed by a tech culture. Think beer pong, video games or wine and cheese every other day. Sales, as can be expected, is Darwinian. You don't make the numbers you're out. They do provide training. The territory assigned is sometimes total luck of the draw. The company is open enough that you get to collaborate with different groups and learn different facets of the business. The main product being so highly visible and profitable means your work gets out in front of a large audience everyday.

Cons

Lots of Kool-Aid being ladled. Upper management are good talkers. But not so great with the walk. The focus is on squeezing revenue and making (bad) deals rather than doing the hard work of making good product. The best talent walks. If you are a good role player and don't mind being hitched to a wayward wagon, then WW is your place.

October 17, 2014Recruiter

We feel that our culture is credited to the amazing employees that work at WeddingWire. We have fun while working hard and our hard work pays off. We strive to be the best at what we do. We want our entire company to collaborate and interact to progress our products for our customers and remain the leading technology company in the weddings and events industry. Thank you for taking your time to leave us your feedback!

Found 11 reviews