Western Power Distribution Employee Reviews about "midlands"

Updated 12 Dec 2020

3.2
Western Power Distribution Chief Executive Robert A. Symons (no image)
Robert A. Symons
Pros
  • "Good pay, great annual pay increments, staff well looked after(in 13 reviews)

• "Good salary, some good people, secure work(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Again it's all back to the bullying culture so rife within the industry, and so often mentioned in the other reviews(in 5 reviews)

• "This isn’t just an issue local to my area it’s throughout the midlands(in 5 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "midlands"

Return to all Reviews

"Inventory Control"

4.0
    Former Employee - Stock Controller in Exeter, England

I worked at Western Power Distribution full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked for WPD for 11 years in Exeter I worked for SWEB originally then they split it in two halves. I always loved working for WPD and had great work colleges. The company was always good to me with flexi time when I had my kids etc. And the management was always excellent and very supportive.

Cons

WPD has since taken over the Midlands and WPD has gone right down hill. One thing goes in one area but not in another they all have their own rules with no consistency. I wouldn't want to work for them now but unfortunately my poor husband still does. He now works in the Midlands he doesn't get any of the management support or back up. Management don't seem to want to take on any responsibilities a whole different company now totally different. I am very surprised that Mr R Symons has let this happen.

"Don’t do it"

2.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Technician in Derby, England

I have been working at Western Power Distribution full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Potential overtime to bump up poor wages (compared with other DNOs) Plenty of people leaving so opportunities for promotion - this can also be a con Some clever and helpful staff members (far outweighed by lazy unknowledgeable staff)

Cons

Promotions aren’t really promotions as you have to jump through changing goalposts to get pay rises while being expected to do the job already with little to no help in development or training. Unfair allocation of work, keen and useful staff abused, useless lazy staff left alone. 10% of staff do 90% of the work while the people who have been in roles 10 years and still incapable get left alone and often paid more, with better benefits, with management not dealing with useless individuals and putting extra pressure on staff who can actually do their job. Problem seems endemic in all areas of the midlands which leads to a lot of the good helpful members of staff leaving to be replaced with people who’s faces fit but are actually incapable. Management pile on pressure and there is no help or reward for hard work but picking up other peoples work they can’t be bothered to do. Some staff are dangerous and pushed into authorisations and responsibilities they are incapable of to tick boxes by management. Same or worse pay (if protected) than people who do far less work. Low pay compared to other DNOs for work. No benefits or company car. Blame culture. Poor training. Unsupported. Technician role particularly poor incentives compared to craft role for the extra stress and responsibilities.

Continue reading

"Good pay not such a good company"

2.0
    Current Employee - Technician in Worcester, England

Pros

Decent pay. Some good colleagues.

Cons

No incentives/perks in technician roles. Little understanding of family life. Poorly trained people. no management to ensure people are doing their role successfully and no one takes them to task when they are not performing well. People are pushed through their grades paid full salary and are definitely not doing their role 100% and for that reason things are very well hidden by local management. This isn’t just an issue local to my area it’s throughout the midlands. Very old fashioned system for managing and not much skill from them. Little opportunity to get a promotion as the structure is very flat. It’s a bit dead mans shoes here.

Continue reading

"Shift workers treated awfully."

1.0
    Current Employee - Dispatch Clerk in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Western Power Distribution full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Only the money they pay is good.

Cons

Ridiculous hours expected of you, finish a 12 hour night shift, have 1 day off then come back in for 6 days solid. Systems are awful, crash all the time and run really slow, making doing your job even more stressful than it already is. Staff are to blame for company downfalls, they introduce process in the midlands that just wont work due to infrastructure, but do it anyway because thats what they do in Wales. Management is just a load of people covering their backs, no support from anyone and if you complain about anything they make your life living hell.

"Not what it was"

1.0
    Current Employee - Technician in Bath, England

Pros

Good pay, Holiday pay, sick pay and a good pension

Cons

inconsistent management. What happens in some areas is not allowed in others. Lazy employees get away with murder and really take the mick. Management is useless and jobs have to be done whatever the cost. the company has gone downhill since it took over the Midlands.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 5 English Reviews