Wilmington plc Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Pedro Ros

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Lots of opportunities to progress within Wilmington (in 3 reviews)

• A good first job as you aren't overwhelmed by difficult work (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • This is the worst company I have ever worked for and so I was only there 6 months before they had to "let me go" (in 3 reviews)

• People leave within 6 months of joining so expect huge staff turnovers (in 3 reviews)

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Client Services Manager in Basildon, South East England, England

I have been working at Wilmington plc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fast changing, open to new ideas, growth and easy access to management

Cons

Bringing old brands together has been tough on the teams that come from the previous companies and this has resulted in some loss of knowledge

Advice to Management

Speak to all staff about new products and pricing as they have valuable insight

10 Jul 2017 – Recruitment Team

We appreciate your feedback and recognition of the progress we are making across Wilmington. There's still a long way to go and we will increase dialogue with all employees in the coming months to... More

2. "A good employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sutton Coldfield, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sutton Coldfield, England

I have been working at Wilmington plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some really great, enthusiastic people to work with. Built some really good working relationships with people and have varied work.

Cons

Sometimes if there are issues it may not be visible that something is being done about it, which could then be communicateed to staff.

Advice to Management

While pretty good at recognising positive things with the Awards there can be a focus on negatives for the rest of the year

"Lovely company to work for"

I have been working at Wilmington plc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

>Many opportunities to progress within the business
    >Supportive senior management team
    >Great family vibe in the head office

Cons

>Office could do with a refurbishment

"Over-worked, frustrated and unappreciated"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England

I worked at Wilmington plc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This review regards the healthcare devision of this plc. Overall I don't know enough to judge Wilmington plc as a whole although I have always been impressed by CEO Pedro Ros. There are some wonderful people working in the 'lower levels' of Wilmington healthcare that are a pleasure to know.

Cons

Management have built a barrier around themselves and ultimately ignore half their employees as they aren't saying what they want to hear. The original MD of what was NHiS departed the company and it was left in the hands of Wilmington, there was very little interaction from the SMT during this time and we were all left guessing as to what was coming. The passionate teams efforts are continually taken for granted, and staff are supposed to be grateful when the arrogant management team deign themselves to be lowered to take staff to dinner every 6 months.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your teams and show them this is the case. Don't keep pilling on the work and pressure while taking away their benefits. Moral needs to be boosted significantly

17 Jul 2017 – Recruitment Team

Your comments are noted. We are striving for a better Wilmington for our employees, and we are working hard to achieve this. Regards, Recruitment Team

"What a mess"

I worked at Wilmington plc full-time

Pros

Wilmington used to be a good place to work. The division I was in was ran by a committed, inspirational and motivated MD until about a year ago. Despite a very tough market she had vision and plans for success. She left very suddenly and our business was rolled in with another part of the group under an MD who doesn't talk to the staff. They have now announced that we are being sold and there is no interest in what we do or communication about what's happening. Everyone is leaving the company.

Cons

Don't value good people. Management doesn't understand the business and leadership is non existent.

Staff are underpaid.

Advice to Management

Take an interest in your people and at least try to understand what we do

"Depressing and awful"

I worked at Wilmington plc full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You can go to work wearing your jeans although people are not supposed to do so but they usually don't care much unless you turn up with ripped jeans and looking like a homeless.

Cons

I have worked for almost a decade and I can honestly say that it was the worse place I ever worked in my whole life and I had a lot jobs before but none was as awful and inhumane as Wilmington. They don't care about staff unless you are from high management. People from higher positions always look down on people at lower positions and they don't mix EVER. There is a constant pressure to deliver unrealistic targets and don't even think about getting ill or even having to go to a GP appointment because you will have to bring some sort of paper to prove that you have a doctor appointment which implies that you are a liar and can't be trusted. Your personal life is constantly invaded because most of the time you have to disclose your illness in order to have a chance of justifying yourself as to why you need to see a doctor. The whole environment can easily makes you ill in the long term, and I mean literally.

Advice to Management

Try to bring people together, build bridges no matter what job position they hold. Stop dumping massive workloads on people because in the end of the day they are humans too and not machines. Stop your managers from invading people's privacy, it's well out of order. This policy of profit profit and profit with disregard for staff is disgusting and immoral. Little cafe gatherings held once a year (not sure if they still doing that) is not a cleaver way to bring people together, it make people feel cheap and resentful.

17 Jul 2017 – Recruitment Team

I am sorry to hear your feedback. We are working hard to improve in all areas in order to provide the best Wilmington experience for all our employees. We wish you all the best for the future... More

"Constant secrecy and poor pay/benefits"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in London, England

I have been working at Wilmington plc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Somewhat stable job - unless you happen to work for one of the Wilmington companies that is going to be sold off (the board is forever scheming).
    Small gym in Underwood offices.

Cons

Wilmington Plc is a group of companies. As such they regularly buy and sell smaller companies, and of course you as a lowly employee get to hear last about things affecting you! The whole focus of the board is always "the shareholders" - definitively not the employees! Secrecy about plans is a constant, and to top it off, wages are not at all competitive - especially considering the poor excuse of staff benefits. The staff turnover is very high, though of course the senior management tend to stick around forever, filling their pockets. Although I have worked for Wilmington for more than 4 years I am always looking for the next job, as you never know what's next on the board's agenda. Pay is easily £8-£10k below market average for similar jobs.

Advice to Management

If you want to develop employee loyalty, start respecting your staff! Stop constantly focusing on your shareholders and be more transparent. Perhaps consider making us employees shareholders by setting up a share buying scheme - easily done (especially since one of the Wilmington companies trains companies on how to do this). Offer some real, meaningful benefits, not gimmicks (who cares for cheaper cinema/haircuts/restaurant meals) - better pension (not just the legal minimum), paying towards private healthcare and so on. Let's get real though, this will likely never happen, as the priority would need to shift from shareholders to employees.

21 Jun 2017 – Wilmington plc

Your feedback is heard and noted. It is certainly our desire to respect our staff and I’m therefore very disappointed to read your concerns. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss these directly... More

"Growing company with respected brands"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

Pros

I enjoy working at Wilmington (London office) - nice atmosphere, great people and brands that are respected in their markets. Many of Wilmington's businesses are in professional education - fascinating area with changes to digital learning - so a good time to join the company. The business is growing both organically and through acquisition.

Cons

Underwood St office is a little rundown.

Advice to Management

Continue with developments in digital learning services.

"An ever growing and supportive company."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Basildon, East of England, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Basildon, East of England, England

I have been working at Wilmington plc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm really pleased to have joined an expanding company with ambition that also supports its staff and has tangible, additional benefits to being employed with them.

I've been impressed with my team who have instilled a sense of belonging and the work ethic I've encountered across the business is also commendable.

Cons

Due to the size of the company and number of subsidiaries, it can take some time to get used to, especially where processes may differ internally between said subsidiaries.

Advice to Management

Ensure employees continue to be informed and engaged.

"10 years in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Wilmington plc full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been here long enough to see many changes but the most recent year has been the most vast and exciting. The company feels like one company and not many small companies with their own ideas and cultures as previously. Opportunities are there to be found and taken and across so many different areas of the business and countries. Its been great to finally have a benefit platform that shows a vast array of benefits that can be taken; it shows you what you are given and also those you can easily purchase via your monthly pay.

Cons

It would be great to see more company funded benefits but this is still a new and grown area, so fingers crossed.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with your staff - look after them well as they will in turn look after your profits.