Wilton Brands Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 15 Nov 2019

2.1
Wilton Brands CEO Rudy Dornhof
Rudy Dornhof
Pros
  • "The summer hours, work from home hours and flex time demonstrate the dedication to work-life balance(in 35 reviews)

• "I can't thank the executive team for implementing a work life balance(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management has cliques with middle management because they brought the middle managers with them from where they used to work(in 8 reviews)

• "Lack of communication between certain teams(in 6 reviews)

"Going through the change"

I worked at Wilton Brands

Pros

Creative persons, hardworking teams throughout the organisation. New branding and direction will set the company on the right path again, it's just going to be a long journey.

Cons

Disconnect between top management talking about importance of her people then large scale lay-offs poorly communicated and handled by HR teams

Advice to Management

Back up the people sentiment with actions that demonstrate their importance

Wilton Brands2018-04-24

"Just like the Titanic!!! Sinking fast!!!"

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Nothing at all!! Not a single thing!!

Cons

Everything! The people running the distribution centers as if 11/18/19 are egomaniacs and doesn’t have a clue!! Treats employees like garbage!!! They have fired everyone who had a clue or doesn’t agree with their way or the highway attitude!! Moral is at an all time low! Anyone who’s smart is leaving or getting fired! Poor way to run a business. At this rate the company won’t be around much longer. The new company... needs to clean house and bring in people who actually care about the business and growing the company. Not people who keep shrinking it and want to move everything. The new office was a waist. Large office space with a ton of empty cubicles.

Advice to Management

Get someone running the DC’s with people skills!!! Not someone with the people skills of a rock!!

Wilton Brands2019-11-15

"So many inadequate people in senior positions"

Former Employee - Janitor/Cleaner in Naperville, IL

I worked at Wilton Brands part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great new office. Cake!! Summer hours. Flexible working options. Parking.

Cons

Ok so this corp is a shadow of its former self and this is due largely to the poor, poor 'managers' who in many cases just don't seem to get how a business should be run. I left this year after 3 years and saw so many talented associates leave. Wilton was recently taken over by Doctor Oertker in Europe and I pray every day that things improve for the friends I left behind! I've never understood how unqualified or... unexperienced people are given positions they aren't suitable for, but part of the reason is that good people have gone and others also take on their role by default, certainly not ability!! It seems that if you kiss the right feet and creep to the right seniors you get on. Used to be a great place to work but now its like its clinging on. Hopefully things will improve with a new owner. Good luck guys!!

Advice to Management

Whats the point? Everyone there thinks they're so smart and can do no wrong so any 'advice' would be ignored!

Wilton Brands2019-09-05

"Wilton will make you sick"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Naperville, IL

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most coworkers are great, but the good ones are leaving in droves. Summer hours, although in sales they expect you to come in early so you really work a full day anyway. cake.

Cons

This is the most stressful environmentI have ever worked in! There are not enough people, and they fired a bunch now everyone has double the work load. I read the reviews here before I started, but though "oh, those are just bitter fired people". I was wrong! This place is horrible and stressful that it made me so physically sick. I do not know anyone who is happy working here. My DOS worked against me, not with me.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Stop having so many meetings and let people do their jobs. Chill, people need a work/life balance. Everything isn't a fire!

Wilton Brands2019-09-05

"Lack of Innovation + Incompetent Management = Disaster"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Wilton Brands full-time

Pros

Decent building. Some people are nice I guess. Summer Hours.

Cons

Lack of Vision. Serious lack of integrity. However, if you bark up the right tree you can get places, even if you lack the qualifications and basic leadership skills, morals or tact. I have seen too many good people go, like a revolving door. Its less about the job and more about how you think you have power over people. Hows that workin for ya?

Advice to Management

Its clear good decision making skills are lacking here. You have no idea what you are doing but decided to change everything else but yourselves. Y'all got to go and bring in the experts who aren't best friends and actually want something better for the company.

Wilton Brands2019-08-29

"Good Products but Company Lacking VIsion"

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Naperville, IL

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Solid Product Base. Most of the people are good to work with. Company bought by a private holding company. This might bring new ways of looking at IT work and operations to the company. Summer hours program is a nice soft benefit. Some departments seem to have a lot of team building and fun activities.

Cons

A lot of department heads take credit for their people's work and do not acknowledge contributions. Inconsistent management

Advice to Management

Department heads should be accountable for vision and planning. Take a pro-active look at each department head and see if they are the best for the company's future. It doesn't matter how many great employees a department has if the department head is not collaborative and does not have their own vision of the future.

Wilton Brands2019-07-28

"Don't rush to Wilton, Just don't...."

Current Employee - Misc

I have been working at Wilton Brands full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Twice a month I collect a paycheck. The coffee is good quality and the drinking water is filtered. Summer hours are a hug Pro. Oh and the vending machines have good beverages.

Cons

Senior Management is supporting recycled decisions and hoping for a different outcome. In other words, it is the definition of insanity. Standing by and watching mediocre people get promoted and the talented employees are fired or pushed out. Wilton is not going to encourage you to be on a path to greatness. Wilton management will change the rules in the middle of the game. There has been no CEO for almost 3... months. There have been 3 CFO's in the past 5 years. There have been minimal new products in the past few years also. A sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Why provide advise to management? They won't listen! Management 'listens' but doesn't even pretend to hear you.

Wilton Brands2019-08-22

"Here is what I thought..."

Former Employee - N/A in Naperville, IL

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros: • Great colleagues and my direct supervisor was always very supportive. • 5 – 10 minutes from downtown Naperville & Metra Station (BNSF). • Matching 401K • Free Cake/ Food and great discounts on Wilton Products.

Cons

Cons: • Workforce Reduction/ Re-org led to people taking on overwhelming workloads; often this led to people dumping their responsibilities on others; I often felt like I was one of those people getting dumped on and could never find my footing; saw other people having the same issue and being terminated, which played heavy into my decision to leave. • ^^^^With this, beware the “other duties assigned” caveat in... the job you apply for. • High medical insurance deductibles lead to high medical bills, essentially washing away any increase I received for joining Wilton; this also played heavily into my decision to leave because the increased job difficulty did not equate to an increased level of stability financially or in my personal life.

Advice to Management

Hiring 1 person to do the work of 2 or 3 may seem good on paper but in the end, people will get frustrated and leave. This may sound cliche but sometimes you have to spend money to make money.

Wilton Brands2019-07-10

"if you like toxic enviroment..........you can find it here."

Former Employee - Toxic Environment in Naperville, IL

I worked at Wilton Brands full-time for more than a year

Pros

Imagine a company where top manager has not been able to achieve any single result as planned not even once in the last several years. where then the focus is to look for a victim to blame ...and fire. and where a toxic environment is created and maintained. but where HR and people are asked to write "controlled" review. here you are. if you like toxic Wilton is the company for you

Cons

no transparency in recruitment about the issue, the continuous underachievement since several years. no bonus ever payed.

Advice to Management

transparency. self evaluation, and moving on

Wilton Brands2019-07-15

"Lots of changes in the company"

I have been working at Wilton Brands full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible, Summer hours and great colleagues.

Cons

Leadership turnover, Job turnover, poor management, lack of accountability. Communication isn't always the best.

Advice to Management

I recommend that management talk to each and every department. See how each department can better improve. Understand the "why" in every part of the sector of a department. Wilton is trying to change, however you can have a great mission statement and values. However, if every department doesn't work together in a supply chain, this can lead to poor communication between departments. Develop SOPs, policies, create... a better culture!

Wilton Brands2019-05-30