Wiltshire Council Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Wiltshire Council Leader Jane Scott
Jane Scott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Exciting, flexible and forward thinking place to work"

I have been working at Wiltshire Council full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working patterns are really flexible - in most service areas you can choose when you start, when you have lunch and when you go home as long as you work the right number of hours each week. This is so helpful to have a good work/life balance whether or not you have children or other responsibilities.

The whole company is forward thinking and listens to ideas from anyone, however new and in whatever position in the council so you feel like you are actually valued and can have an impact.

The work is really varied and people are always happy to offer help and advice.

Cons

I haven't come across any cons as yet! The only minor thing might be that teams may not spend as much time together as in other organisations due to the hot desking and flexible working, so you may not see some colleagues every day.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

10 Oct 2016 – Resource Advisor

It really is great to hear that you are feeling so positive about working at Wiltshire Council, thank you so much for taking the time to review us and we hope you continue to enjoy and feel fulfilled... More

2. "Flexible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trowbridge, England

I have been working at Wiltshire Council part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My manager really understand the level of balance needed between home and work and has helped me to settle back into work with complete ease.

Cons

not any at the moment

3. "Modern and flexible"

Current Employee - Project Lead in Trowbridge, England
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Trowbridge, England

I have been working at Wiltshire Council full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Modern, comfortable, open offices. Flexible working arrangements make for good work-life balance. Good rail links to both County Hall and Monkton Park.

Cons

Continuously falling budgets can make life hard, but most are square to the challenge.

21 Jul 2017 – Resource Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and thank you for work you've done so far at Wiltshire Council. The falling budgets are hard, but it's great to be part of teams working hard to build... More

5. "Fast paced and fun"

Current Employee - Marketing in Trowbridge, England
    Current Employee - Marketing in Trowbridge, England

I have been working at Wiltshire Council full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wiltshire council is really innovative, extremely fast paced and give you plenty of opportunity to put yourself forward to get involved with new initiatives. The work life balance is fantastic, I work from home for a couple of days a week (depending on my diary), which is great when I’m working on projects and want to avoid the open plan office. The best thing for me is getting to work with talented and motivated people in a great working environment.

Cons

Funding cuts for local Government don’t make things easy, but if you’re up for a challenge it can still be rewarding.

Advice to Management

Keep on being innovative and keep empowering people to do their best.

21 Jul 2017 – Resource Advisor

I'm glad you enjoy working at Wiltshire Council so much, and thank you for taking the time to let us know the pros and cons!

6. "My experience"

I have been working at Wiltshire Council full-time

Pros

I really enjoy working for Wiltshire Council for a number of reasons:
    1. It provides me with an opportunity to give back and support my local community. Its great being able to make a difference
    2. My manager empowers and trusts me to do my job. I have autonomy to deliver my work to the best of my ability.
    3. I really appreciate being able to have a work-life balance (this is quite a new experience for me). WC strongly supports flexible working. As long as I deliver my work my manager trusts me to decide how to work eg. working from home
    4. WC is a really innovative organisation which is constantly striving to do better
    5. They are a really supportive employer

Cons

1. Flexible working does pose some challenge so good collaboration and communication is needed, some areas are better than others
    2. Challenging budgets can make it difficult to deliver the level of service we would all ideally like to

Advice to Management

1. Two way communication needs to improve
    2. Our leaders need to lead more and increase the pace of decision making

21 Jul 2017 – Resource Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to write a review with such useful feedback. It's great to hear that on the whole you are enjoying what you do, and helping to deliver our services. I was interested to... More

7. "Finance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trowbridge, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trowbridge, England

Pros

Good office space and location

Cons

Trowbridge is not the best town.

12 May 2017 – Resource Advisor

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review, it's great to hear you enjoyed the office space and location. In defence of the lovely market town of Trowbridge, situated on the (aptly... More

8. "15 years and still developing..."

I have been working at Wiltshire Council full-time

Pros

Having been at Wiltshire council for 15 years, I still find it a great place to work. The people are talented, hard working and definitely not consistent with the tired old "Council worker" cliché. Having held a number of roles during my time here, there have been so many changes and improvements - Wiltshire Council is a progressive, exciting and challenging place to work, and the management team are not afraid to take risks that many would shy away from. Each time I have changed role it has been a progression over the previous one (both in terms of salary and professional development) and the opportunities to learn and develop into these new challenges just keep coming! It is so easy for people to criticise Local Authorities, not understanding the decisions and challenges that are involved, but my own experience of working at Wiltshire has shown me an organisation that can adapt, manages its sustainability very well and has an amazing resilience during tough times.

Cons

Given the breadth of the range of services the Council offers, inevitably sometimes things get missed or take longer than some people would like, and like any large organisation, consistent communications can be a challenge. Recent years, however, have seen real efforts to try and address these issues - something made even harder by the pressure on local authorities at the moment.

Advice to Management

Let the right people recruit the right people. The customer is more important than the process.

9. "Innovative and forward looking council"

I have been working at Wiltshire Council full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Council has a positive outlook despite difficult times with respect to finance and resources generally and therefore it values new ideas and supports employees to deliver.

Cons

There is no doubt that Councils are continuing to face challenges with regard to resources and there is need to take this into account in every part of work. To enjoy working in Local Government this needs to be seen as part of the challenge rather than as a problem

Advice to Management

Continue to seek to engage as many employees as possible wit the councils objectives - communicate in ways that are suitable for all staff not just those closest to them.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trowbridge, England

I have been working at Wiltshire Council part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wiltshire Council is a really progressive and forward thinking council which thrives on innovation and finding new ways to deliver services in our communities. My team are empowered to get the job done and are really encouraged to make a difference. There is a great team spirit at the council and collaboration both within the council and with our partners is key. The flexible working mindset is invaluable to me and makes me want to contribute more.

Cons

In my team we are really progressive but I'm not sure that is replicated across the whole council.

Advice to Management

Always be honest and keep going with the new inclusive communication style.

"A lovely place to work!.."

Current Employee - Recruitment Practitioner in Trowbridge, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Practitioner in Trowbridge, England

I have been working at Wiltshire Council full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working with and for Wiltshire Council, when I go to work I feel motivated to carry out my role to the best of my abilities and to work hard to produce great work that my manager and colleagues are proud of as they are the ones that help me and are an asset to Wiltshire Council. Also the employees at Wiltshire Council are amazing and full of passion also getting along well with each other which make work easier as it is much easier to get along and to work together to produce great work. Overall it is a great place to work and the working environment is really positive, the option also to work flexibly is wonderful as well.

Cons

There are not many downsides at all to working with Wiltshire Council, not that I can see. We have great facilities and are very lucky to have had the atrium built as we can pop down there for a drink or lunch. We have very positive staff who try to do their best to serve the customers. All very positive and there is not a negative I am able to think of at this time which is brilliant and shows that Wiltshire Council is a great place to work!..

Advice to Management

My advise to managers is to help improve the way we work and to motivate and support their employees which is exactly what I myself have and am experiencing, I wish all other employees to experience that as well.

8 Mar 2017 – Resource Advisor

Thank you for taking to time to write this review, and it's great to hear such a positive message. As you may know there is considerable focus on additional support and motivation for employees, and... More