Wiltshire Council Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Wiltshire Council Leader Jane Scott
Jane Scott

1. Featured Review

"Exciting, flexible and forward thinking place to work"

I have been working at Wiltshire Council full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working patterns are really flexible - in most service areas you can choose when you start, when you have lunch and when you go home as long as you work the right number of hours each week. This is so helpful to have a good work/life balance whether or not you have children or other responsibilities.

The whole company is forward thinking and listens to ideas from anyone, however new and in whatever position in the council so you feel like you are actually valued and can have an impact.

The work is really varied and people are always happy to offer help and advice.

Cons

I haven't come across any cons as yet! The only minor thing might be that teams may not spend as much time together as in other organisations due to the hot desking and flexible working, so you may not see some colleagues every day.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

10 Oct 2016 – Resource Advisor

It really is great to hear that you are feeling so positive about working at Wiltshire Council, thank you so much for taking the time to review us and we hope you continue to enjoy and feel fulfilled ... More

2. "Finance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trowbridge, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trowbridge, England

Pros

Good office space and location

Cons

Trowbridge is not the best town.

12 May 2017 – Resource Advisor

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review, it's great to hear you enjoyed the office space and location. In defence of the lovely market town of Trowbridge, situated on the (aptly ... More

3. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trowbridge, England

I have been working at Wiltshire Council part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wiltshire Council is a really progressive and forward thinking council which thrives on innovation and finding new ways to deliver services in our communities. My team are empowered to get the job done and are really encouraged to make a difference. There is a great team spirit at the council and collaboration both within the council and with our partners is key. The flexible working mindset is invaluable to me and makes me want to contribute more.

Cons

In my team we are really progressive but I'm not sure that is replicated across the whole council.

Advice to Management

Always be honest and keep going with the new inclusive communication style.

"A lovely place to work!.."

Current Employee - Recruitment Practitioner in Trowbridge, England
    Current Employee - Recruitment Practitioner in Trowbridge, England

I have been working at Wiltshire Council full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working with and for Wiltshire Council, when I go to work I feel motivated to carry out my role to the best of my abilities and to work hard to produce great work that my manager and colleagues are proud of as they are the ones that help me and are an asset to Wiltshire Council. Also the employees at Wiltshire Council are amazing and full of passion also getting along well with each other which make work easier as it is much easier to get along and to work together to produce great work. Overall it is a great place to work and the working environment is really positive, the option also to work flexibly is wonderful as well.

Cons

There are not many downsides at all to working with Wiltshire Council, not that I can see. We have great facilities and are very lucky to have had the atrium built as we can pop down there for a drink or lunch. We have very positive staff who try to do their best to serve the customers. All very positive and there is not a negative I am able to think of at this time which is brilliant and shows that Wiltshire Council is a great place to work!..

Advice to Management

My advise to managers is to help improve the way we work and to motivate and support their employees which is exactly what I myself have and am experiencing, I wish all other employees to experience that as well.

8 Mar 2017 – Resource Advisor

Thank you for taking to time to write this review, and it's great to hear such a positive message. As you may know there is considerable focus on additional support and motivation for employees, and ... More

"A modern organisation that cares about it's staff"

Current Employee - Subject Matter Expert in Trowbridge, England
    Current Employee - Subject Matter Expert in Trowbridge, England

I have been working at Wiltshire Council full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working in a trusted environment gives staff like me the freedom to make the most out of my time at work and also strike a good work life balance, I am able to be more flexible in my home life whilst also working more hours when the pressure is on. Staff benefits are really good with discounts on high street and local stores including half price cinema tickets! Equality is of the utmost importance in the organisation and you can tell.

Cons

Like with any public sector organisation, cuts are always are very real concern. Having a positive attitude to change and an eye for inefficiencies is crucial to working for the council.

8 Mar 2017 – Resource Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to write such a balanced review, we are always looking for feedback. It's really good to hear you enjoy working in a environment of trust, equality and flexibility, and ... More

"No accountability for senior management"

Former Employee - Senior Registration Practitioner in Salisbury, England
    Former Employee - Senior Registration Practitioner in Salisbury, England

I worked at Wiltshire Council part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary is competitive for region. Holidays are generous. The organisation is happy to accept substandard levels of behaviour; if you enjoy acting inappropriately you are likely to be promoted.

Cons

The most frustrating inefficient and incompetent organisation I have ever experienced. Whilst working there I witnessed the squashing of amazing employees through ancient creaking outdated systems of work. Innovation was frowned upon, enthusiasm annihilated.
    Departments are having their staff numbers halved. The remaining staff are expected to do double the work in the same time-frames.
    The redundancies are being managed by staff who have no idea of how to behave. Absurdly, the first department to be culled was the HR department, leaving a handful of ineffective staff who are incapable of handling redundancies on such a massive scale.
    The remaining staff are demoralised. Team spirit has been destroyed. Those responsible for this mismanagement are not held to account.
    Senior managers write articles in national newspapers about effective management don't follow any of the advice they advocate. Such was their inappropriate behaviour, following legal action they were forced to publicly apologise and retract their comments. This cost the taxpayers a considerable sum of money, but those responsible are still in post.
    It appears that you can behave in any way you wish within Wiltshire Council.

Advice to Management

Spend some time in the private sector and find out how the real world works.

20 Feb 2017 – Strategic HR Manager

I am sorry that you have felt the need to leave such a negative review. We are really proud of our reputation as a great place to work – we believe most of our employees agree based on our recent ... More

"ASYE Social Worker"

Current Employee - Social Worker in Chippenham, South West England, England
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Chippenham, South West England, England

Pros

Great support, great team, great training opportunities and friendly environment to work in. I feel really lucky to have secured employment within Wiltshire Council.

Cons

Parking: Beware I have acquired two parking tickets make yourself familiar with authorised spaces !

Advice to Management

On completion of the ASYE a wage increase should be implemented to refrain people from jumping ship just for better wages.

20 Dec 2016 – Strategic HR Manager

Hi – thanks for taking the time to complete a review and apologies for our late response. It’s great to hear that you’re having such a positive, supportive experience at the start of your social ... More

"Feed back on work experience"

Current Employee - Senior Legal Assistant (Planning) in Trowbridge, England
    Current Employee - Senior Legal Assistant (Planning) in Trowbridge, England

Pros

Approachable and supportive colleagues and managers. Positive environment. Good working environment.

Cons

I haven't any comments for this section.

10 Nov 2016 – Resource Advisor

Thank you for your positive feedback, it's great to hear!

"Wiltshire council"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trowbridge, England

Pros

An ethical employer, focussed on staff and customers and one where the employees voice is heard.

Cons

Like and big organisation change can sometimes take a little longer to achieve

Advice to Management

More pool cars to help travel around a vast geographical area would help deliver a better service to more customers

7 Sep 2016 – Resource Advisor

It's good to hear that you feel customers and employees are both focussed on and heard, thank you so much for your positive review, and for taking the time to feed back to us, we are listening.

"A motivating and rewarding place to work"

Current Employee - Marketing in Trowbridge, England
    Current Employee - Marketing in Trowbridge, England

I have been working at Wiltshire Council (Less than a year)

Pros

I continue to really enjoy working at Wiltshire Council, for me the main Pros are: Friendly and proactive teams, a great environment, flexible working hours, the ability to arrange to work from home if needed and a generous holidays package.

Cons

I haven't had any negative experiences.

13 Jul 2016 – Resource Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it really is great to hear you are finding working at Wiltshire Council rewarding and motivating!