Wiltshire Council Employee Reviews about "flexible working"

Updated 16 Nov 2020

3.9
Wiltshire Council Leader Philip Whitehead  (no image)
Philip Whitehead
Pros
  • "Benefits like the holiday package, pension and flexible working are massive plusses too(in 25 reviews)

• "The ability to work from home, and flexible working means a better work-life balance(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "hot desking(in 6 reviews)

• "Restructures happened every 2-3 years(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "flexible working"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

It's worth getting out of bed for...

13 Sep 2019 - Team Manager in Trowbridge, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I absolutley love working for Wiltshire Council not only is everyone really friendly and approachable (even senior management!) I am encouraged by my manager to continuously look at ways I can development and further myself. The council encourages you to develop transferable skills allowing you to apply for roles beyond the particular service you work for and reach your full potential. There are many qualifications and in-house courses you can take on/attend. I also love the fact that all the services we provide are for the public and although not everyone may agree we really do have the community at the heart of everything we do! Flexible working, having every bank holiday and 30 days holiday a year are all also huge benefits!

Cons

Sometimes parking can be an issue and whilst the council have provided frontline staff with guaranteed priority parking, it would be great to see how the issue will be overcome as it will only get worse.

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good benefits

28 Aug 2019 - Digital Marketing Apprentice in Trowbridge, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Employee recognition & voice system EPIC means improvements are frequently being made to improve engagement. -The ability to work from home, and flexible working means a better work-life balance -Wiltshire Rewards -Supportive managers, and team

Cons

-Hot desking can be difficult as there isn't always desks available to dock -The relationship between the 3 different hubs isn't always positive as most activity occurs at Trowbridge

2 people found this review helpful

Resource Advisor

Thank you for your review, great idea about the team activities!

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great people and benefits

29 Aug 2019 - Council Officer
      Business Outlook

Pros

As an organisation what we achieve, often in difficult circumstances is really impressive. I'm lucky to work with really talented people and most people seem to really enjoy what they do. Benefits like the holiday package, pension and flexible working are massive plusses too.

Cons

Funding reductions do not make things easy.

Resource Advisor

Thank you for your review.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic place to work

29 Aug 2019 - Strategic Delivery Officer in Trowbridge, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

development opportunities, flexible working, supportive to employees, great colleagues, secondments and personally I have had some great managers

Cons

nothing stands out as a con

2 people found this review helpful

Resource Advisor

Thank you for your review!

5. 3.0
      Former Employee

As good as the manager you have

22 Aug 2019 - Office Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working and treated like adults

Cons

Lack of promotion/ reward opportunities

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great

14 Oct 2018 - Licensing Officer in Trowbridge, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working hours and locations. great management,

Cons

Due to having to legislate the pay could be higher

Resource Advisor

Thank you for your review, and I'm glad you enjoy the flexible working!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A place where you can make a difference

28 Feb 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture where you are trusted to get on with your work without being micromanaged and the support you get from management is great. Wiltshire Council really listens to employees and does the best it can to make sure people are fulfilled and happy in their roles. It is a forward thinking organisation and not at all what I thought a local authority would be like before I joined. On the contrary, it is much more innovative and open to new ideas than any of the other (private sector) organisations I have worked for in the past. And that is in spite of some of the challenges we currently face (i.e. budget cuts). Also, they really embrace flexible working. I can work from home and have flexible hours so it is really easy to balance home and work life. If you want to work somewhere where you are empowered to make a difference Wiltshire Council is the place for you!

Cons

There aren’t many bad things to say about Wiltshire Council. The only one perhaps is that there aren’t enough hot desks in the main hubs but this is not that much of an issue because we have laptops so we can work in the cafeteria or take work home after a meeting!

Resource Advisor

It's great to hear you feel Wiltshire Council is a place where you can make a difference, and thank you for such a detailed review, we agree with your advice and are working hard to make sure our teams enjoy what they do even more.

8. 3.0
      Current Contractor, less than 1 year

Locum SW

5 Mar 2019 - Anonymous Contractor
      Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive team, approachable managers, flexible working

Cons

Pay is not great if working in a perm job

9. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good place to work

9 Oct 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Offers good flexible working conditions.

Cons

Restructures happened every 2-3 years.

Resource Advisor

Thank you for your review!

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

A great place to work

29 Jul 2016 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

I love working at Wiltshire Council. The people are professional and friendly, and the flexible working is great for my work/life balance. I'm trusted and expected to do the job I was employed to do effectively and to a high standard, and I'm judged on my performance and results. My team is hard-working and great to work with, and we are encouraged to share skills. Personally, I thrive in this working environment and (I never thought I'd ever say this!) I really enjoy coming to work.

Cons

The parking is a pain if you're not in County Hall by 8.30am, but this is a very minor issue and doesn't detract from my time at work at all. Working in the public sector can mean that promotion opportunities are limited, and innovative/exceptional workers are not rewarded financially, whereas they would be in the private sector. However, everything is a balance and I accept this side of things in return for the benefits such as flexible working and the freedom to work in my own way to achieve results.

Resource Advisor

We really appreciate you taking the time to review us, it's fantastic to hear how much you enjoy coming to work at Wiltshire Council and also thrive in the working environment . It is also useful to hear your feedback about communication and blog's, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 27 Reviews