Wiltshire Council Employee Reviews about "hot desking"

Updated Aug 28, 2019

Found 6 of over 96 reviews

4.0
Wiltshire Council Leader Philip Whitehead  (no image)
Philip Whitehead
Pros
  • "Benefits like the holiday package, pension and flexible working are massive plusses too(in 25 reviews)

• "The ability to work from home, and flexible working means a better work-life balance(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "hot desking(in 6 reviews)

• "Restructures happened every 2-3 years(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "hot desking"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Excellent place to work

Aug 28, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunities for learning and development. Flexible working is a big plus, being able to start and finish at different times, love it. Supportive managers who are there to provide guidance and support, frequent 1-2-1s also track progress. The trust that managers have for their staff is great, from my first day I felt apart of the team. County Hall itself is a nice building to work in, being a lover of food, the atrium offers quite the selection.

Cons

Cuts to the budget, although not really Wiltshire Council's fault here. Hot desks at times can be a little bit annoying.

Strategic HR Manager

Thanks very much for a really positive review! Great to hear that you have such a good experience of some of the key employee benefits we have to offer, And really important to hear that you feel supported and empowered here #EPIC!

2. 4.0

Good benefits

Aug 28, 2019 - Digital Marketing Apprentice in Trowbridge, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Employee recognition & voice system EPIC means improvements are frequently being made to improve engagement. -The ability to work from home, and flexible working means a better work-life balance -Wiltshire Rewards -Supportive managers, and team

Cons

-Hot desking can be difficult as there isn't always desks available to dock -The relationship between the 3 different hubs isn't always positive as most activity occurs at Trowbridge

2 people found this review helpful

Resource Advisor

Thank you for your review, great idea about the team activities!

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Lack of Team

Feb 11, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Trowbridge, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working at home or local hubs. Ability to negotiate part-time hours to suit personal circumstances. Allowed to get on with jobs without being micro-managed

Cons

Reorganisations Less specialists, more generalists Under staffed Lack of incentives Lack of pay rises No team feeling Hot desking Lack of training and support after restructuring

Resource Advisor

Thank you for your review, and I'm glad you're enjoying the flexible working and what sounds like an effective manager who supports you to 'get on with things'. Many of the Cons you've mentioned are unfortunately the result of needing to focus on delivering services in an environment of the increasing financial challenges, something all local government organisations are experiencing. I'd be really keen to hear some of your ideas for any ways to improve them, and especially in developing a team spirit, as this is something we are working with the #EPIC staff engagement group, please get in touch james.kent@wiltshire.gov.uk or put your ideas on EPIC ideas so we can keep improving things.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A place where you can make a difference

Feb 28, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture where you are trusted to get on with your work without being micromanaged and the support you get from management is great. Wiltshire Council really listens to employees and does the best it can to make sure people are fulfilled and happy in their roles. It is a forward thinking organisation and not at all what I thought a local authority would be like before I joined. On the contrary, it is much more innovative and open to new ideas than any of the other (private sector) organisations I have worked for in the past. And that is in spite of some of the challenges we currently face (i.e. budget cuts). Also, they really embrace flexible working. I can work from home and have flexible hours so it is really easy to balance home and work life. If you want to work somewhere where you are empowered to make a difference Wiltshire Council is the place for you!

Cons

There aren’t many bad things to say about Wiltshire Council. The only one perhaps is that there aren’t enough hot desks in the main hubs but this is not that much of an issue because we have laptops so we can work in the cafeteria or take work home after a meeting!

Resource Advisor

It's great to hear you feel Wiltshire Council is a place where you can make a difference, and thank you for such a detailed review, we agree with your advice and are working hard to make sure our teams enjoy what they do even more.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Exciting, flexible and forward thinking place to work

Sep 27, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working patterns are really flexible - in most service areas you can choose when you start, when you have lunch and when you go home as long as you work the right number of hours each week. This is so helpful to have a good work/life balance whether or not you have children or other responsibilities. The whole company is forward thinking and listens to ideas from anyone, however new and in whatever position in the council so you feel like you are actually valued and can have an impact. The work is really varied and people are always happy to offer help and advice.

Cons

I haven't come across any cons as yet! The only minor thing might be that teams may not spend as much time together as in other organisations due to the hot desking and flexible working, so you may not see some colleagues every day.

3 people found this review helpful

Resource Advisor

It really is great to hear that you are feeling so positive about working at Wiltshire Council, thank you so much for taking the time to review us and we hope you continue to enjoy and feel fulfilled by your role. The hot desking, though necessary to support the flexible working, does mean that sometimes there can be less of a 'team' focus in seating, but we feel that it also gives people the chance to expand their network and build wider connections. Thank you again for your feedback.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

A forward-looking place to work

Nov 9, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

A progressive local authority, which has embraced agile working. Staff rewards are good and because it is a large employer there are many job opportunities within the council. The leadership is ambitious, as demonstrated by the Leader of the council recently being made a Life Peer. On balance (despite the cons below) this is a great place to work.

Cons

Budget pressures are a constant challenge, as in any local authority, and some parts of the council are noticeably strapped for resources. Wiltshire Council covers a huge geographical area so some jobs can require a fair bit of travel around the county. A lot of meetings are held in Trowbridge and Chippenham which may be a long way for some staff to get to. Flexible working has its advantages, but not everyone likes hot desking.

Strategic HR Manager

Thank you for your review and balanced assessment of some of the pros and cons of working in a large rural area. We are using technology more and more to help people to meet "virtually" but this doesn't work in all service areas. As you say Wiltshire Council moved away from have a single Chief Executive in 2010 and is now led by three Corporate Directors with political direction being provided by the Leader of the Council.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 English Reviews