Wiltshire Council Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Aug 28, 2019

Found 13 of over 96 reviews

4.0
Wiltshire Council Leader Philip Whitehead  (no image)
Philip Whitehead
Pros
  • "Benefits like the holiday package, pension and flexible working are massive plusses too(in 25 reviews)

• "The ability to work from home, and flexible working means a better work-life balance(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "hot desking(in 6 reviews)

• "Restructures happened every 2-3 years(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

A truly modern, flexible, and rewarding working environment.

Dec 28, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Trowbridge, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Able to work from home fairly regularly, without which I wouldn't be able to work so far from home. The provided technology makes this quite easy, you can easily include someone working from home in a meeting being held at County Hall. There is enough movement in the workforce to make progression possible with lots of internal opportunities available. There's a lot of work being done to try to get staff involved with making it a better place to work. Anyone with ideas can easily raise them through an intranet-based, visible portal. Most importantly, I got to work with a huge variety of people all of whom were absolutely committed to making a positive difference to peoples lives despite this being made harder and harder to do every year. Some people's determination is quite inspiring and this made staying motivated quite easy.

Cons

Falling budgets make things quite tense as the financial year is coming to a close, but most carry on as normal - keep calm and carry on and all that jazz...

Resource Advisor

I really enjoyed reading your review, and really identified with it, thank you for taking the time to post it!

2. 4.0

Good benefits

Aug 28, 2019 - Digital Marketing Apprentice in Trowbridge, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Employee recognition & voice system EPIC means improvements are frequently being made to improve engagement. -The ability to work from home, and flexible working means a better work-life balance -Wiltshire Rewards -Supportive managers, and team

Cons

-Hot desking can be difficult as there isn't always desks available to dock -The relationship between the 3 different hubs isn't always positive as most activity occurs at Trowbridge

2 people found this review helpful

Resource Advisor

Thank you for your review, great idea about the team activities!

3. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Easily forgotten

Aug 26, 2019 - Administrator in Trowbridge, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexi hours, work from home, local benefits

Cons

Constant restructuring, too many accidental managers, each department seems to have different rules, lots of tick boxes exercises rather to make it look like the staff are looked after, lack of progression unless you know certain people or you are news worthy (Ie apprentice)

Resource Advisor

Thank you for leaving a review, and though I'm sorry to hear things like some management styles are a frustration, I'm glad you enjoy the flexi, work from home and other benefits. We are taking steps to keep improving things, such as managers being supported through our leadership and management apprenticeship. It would be great if you wanted to get involved in helping shape other improvements by joining TeamEPIC, our employee engagement group. Why don't you come along and join us at the next meeting on September 24th at 9.30 in the Cotswold room? It's a great place to get advice and clarification too. Thank you! James

4. 4.0

Current Employee

Aug 8, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Council is very good with it's flexible working packages and allows you to work from home if needed. The staff generally strive to do their best as a lot of them are Wiltshire residents themselves and so see an effect of their work.

Cons

Unfortunately the Council does tend to underpay its staff in relation to similar jobs outside of the organisation.

5. 5.0

Flexible

Jul 25, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Trowbridge, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

My manager really understand the level of balance needed between home and work and has helped me to settle back into work with complete ease.

Cons

not any at the moment

Strategic HR Manager

Hi - thanks for taking the time to write a review. It's great to hear that you've had a good experience and excellent support from your manager to help you come back to work. Our flexible working policy and practices are there just for that reason but it's also equally as important for us to hear that the culture within the organisation enables this to work so effectively

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Fast paced and fun

Jul 11, 2017 - Marketing in Trowbridge, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wiltshire council is really innovative, extremely fast paced and give you plenty of opportunity to put yourself forward to get involved with new initiatives. The work life balance is fantastic, I work from home for a couple of days a week (depending on my diary), which is great when I’m working on projects and want to avoid the open plan office. The best thing for me is getting to work with talented and motivated people in a great working environment.

Cons

Funding cuts for local Government don’t make things easy, but if you’re up for a challenge it can still be rewarding.

Resource Advisor

I'm glad you enjoy working at Wiltshire Council so much, and thank you for taking the time to let us know the pros and cons!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A place where you can make a difference

Feb 28, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture where you are trusted to get on with your work without being micromanaged and the support you get from management is great. Wiltshire Council really listens to employees and does the best it can to make sure people are fulfilled and happy in their roles. It is a forward thinking organisation and not at all what I thought a local authority would be like before I joined. On the contrary, it is much more innovative and open to new ideas than any of the other (private sector) organisations I have worked for in the past. And that is in spite of some of the challenges we currently face (i.e. budget cuts). Also, they really embrace flexible working. I can work from home and have flexible hours so it is really easy to balance home and work life. If you want to work somewhere where you are empowered to make a difference Wiltshire Council is the place for you!

Cons

There aren’t many bad things to say about Wiltshire Council. The only one perhaps is that there aren’t enough hot desks in the main hubs but this is not that much of an issue because we have laptops so we can work in the cafeteria or take work home after a meeting!

Resource Advisor

It's great to hear you feel Wiltshire Council is a place where you can make a difference, and thank you for such a detailed review, we agree with your advice and are working hard to make sure our teams enjoy what they do even more.

8. 5.0

Supportive, innovative and flexible

Feb 22, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible working arrangements within the organisation are amazing and have allowed me to manage my home and work life, which is extremely helpful, especially with a young child around. The organisation is incredibly innovative. Having recently been accepted on to the organisations new staff engagement group it is evident that there are genuine initiatives to encourage staff to become more involved, providing opportunity to ‘have a voice’. I am engaged with the organisation’s objectives and feel that my opinion is truly valued. I have always felt supported by both my manager and colleagues and this support has given me the confidence to enrol onto a professional qualification so that I am able to develop further in my chosen career.

Cons

Inevitably, there have been restructures within my area of work, however, during this time I continually felt well informed. Manager communication remained honest and transparent.

1 person found this review helpful

Resource Advisor

I'm really glad to hear you are part of our new employee engagement group, and seem to really enjoy working at Wiltshire Council. It's also great to hear you feel supported by colleagues and your manager. We look forward to you helping make the council an even better place to work through the engagement group, and cant wait to see what initiatives the group introduce. Thank you for taking the time to write this review!

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

A motivating and rewarding place to work

Jul 11, 2016 - Marketing in Trowbridge, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I continue to really enjoy working at Wiltshire Council, for me the main Pros are: Friendly and proactive teams, a great environment, flexible working hours, the ability to arrange to work from home if needed and a generous holidays package.

Cons

I haven't had any negative experiences.

1 person found this review helpful

Resource Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, it really is great to hear you are finding working at Wiltshire Council rewarding and motivating!

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A great place to work

Mar 22, 2016 - Human Resources Team in Trowbridge, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I work flexi-time, which is really useful when you have various appointments etc to fit in. You can take time off if you build up enough flexi. The holidays are OK, better when you have been here for five years though. It is a very busy job (which did surprise me, coming from the private sector) which is great! We have to work from home a couple of days a week, as there is not enough space for the whole team to be in the office at one time. The IT systems are really good, which makes working from home a nice change from the office. You need to work on your own initiative, which suits me well. There are really good HR systems in place, and training opportunities, and I am happy in the knowledge that things are being done properly.

Cons

There is a period of uncertainty regarding the security of jobs, which is why I haven't given 5 stars. You often don't see people in your team very often with the homeworking system.

Strategic HR Manager

Thank you for your review, you will be pleased to hear that we have just agreed an increase to annual leave allowance of two additional days for all staff.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 13 Reviews