Wise Reviews

Updated 3 May 2021

4.4
Wise CEO Kristo Käärman
Kristo Käärman
  1. "Great people, great product, great culture..."

Current Employee - People Team in London, England, England

I have been working at Wise full-time for less than a year

Pros

You work with some seriously smart people here. I constantly feel driven and challenged to think differently all the time. We are scaling quickly, so really this is an environment for people that can handle a fast paced, but inclusive environment. I also have two kids, one of the biggest things for me is that no-one batters an eye at the time i come in late or leave early... Or that i work from home one day a week. Loads of great perks; 6 week paid sabbatical + your holiday for that year, annual all company paid trip, stock options, breakfast, friday lunches, 5% pension, yoga, gym and more.

Cons

Nothing... I love this company!

2. "Great place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Designer in London, England, England

I have been working at Wise full-time for more than a year

Pros

Huge levels of trust for employees Great career opportunities A lovely work environment with a nice working culture Well thought out feedback culture that works

Cons

Autonomous teams can be a challenge in regards to siloing. Channels of communication can be a barrier to good project management. Hiring replacements after a resignation can be overly drawnout

"Work however you like & work on whatever you like"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in London, England, England

I have been working at Wise full-time for more than a year

Pros

I think our culture is pretty unique in the sense that I can choose to work from home whenever I want and naturally we have problems but from what I’ve seen people air those problems out and we are pretty good at addressing them head on. I also like that I can push whatever projects I want & generally people don’t even question me on it - not that questions are a bad thing. Fairly generous travel policy to compensate for issues with having a highly distributed team. It’ll feel very cult like initially but trust me it gets better after a couple of years of being here.

Cons

Base salaries are below market for engineers - but I’ve heard the People team are looking to address this. Career development is a black box - again I heard that the People team are looking to address this aswell.

Continue reading

"Definitely not a startup, good product , average engineering - suitable for less senior people"

2.0
    Current Employee - Senior Product Engineer in London, England, England

I have been working at Wise full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Good location and offices - Relaxed environment (sometimes too relaxed) - Breakfast and other in office perks + weekly lunch. - Not so much pressure or reasonable pressure. (this leads though to a big percent of people to actually slack) - Strong product, the basic idea (the founding idea) is still driving the company that's why is a one of the dominant players on the sector of money transfer. - The company is making money, despite the previous rounds of funding is showing profits and this is making its strategic position even stronger.

Cons

- Not a startup, it feels like a mini bank in terms of prospects of work for any engineer. - The idea of autonomous teams is close to a joke, practically very few people internally believe in this, actually now is a problem. The amount spent to coordinate or create something is increasing - so the company feels like a slow moving traditional fin org. - No strong management for the engineering teams - the flat structure of Leads and Engineers is not working any more. - Territorial teams (not all of them but most of them), many of the early engineers of the company which in market standards would really find it difficult to find a job on the market - create a very defensive culture. - A large percent of the engineers are being credited titles that do not correspond to their actual skills. Senior engineers with real experience of what it could be best as Mid. - Extremely political, need to watch and avoid conflict with older and more senior engineers / leads. The engineering know how sometimes is based on hear say or people posting on slack random articles to prove their point (sign of inexperience) - Due to this chaotic sometimes way of working it is very common that some of the teams actually work more than others, but they are not been credited for it, again there is no good management.

"Best culture EVER"

Current Employee - IOS Engineer in London, England, England

I have been working at Wise full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Amazing culture, feels like a startup with all the benefits of a 1500+ company - No hierarchy and bureaucracy - Small autonomous team - Big impact as a dev, your voice is always heard - Encourages everyone to drive things forward and solve problems instead of implementing blue-prints - CEO is a true leader

Cons

I cannot name any, this is the best job I've ever had

"So much potential lost through mismanagement"

2.0
    Former Employee - IOS Developer in London, England, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Wise full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get loads of autonomy and influence over product and design. You won't be a code monkey.

Cons

This can be very very inconsistent depending on the team. In my experience I encountered clueless managers trying to further their own careers over the betterment of the team. There are quite a few living embodiments of the Dunning-Kruger effect! The environment started feeling a lot more corporate. The classic issues of 'waterfall masquerading as agile' have started to crop up. The number of meetings kept going up and don't expect to get any concentrated time to do work as Slack will ensure you're constantly distracted! The company is also in a bit of an identity crisis about what the product actually is. Ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers. None of them incorrect but not entirely correct either. The culture and values on paper look great but I'm finding it harder and harder to see those values in a practical way. It doesn't matter what you write on the wall but what you reward and who you promote. In my experience there was a massive incongruity between the written values and practical values. There is a certain kind of person that can succeed at TransferWise. The traits likely to do well are over confident, loud, loves to talk and can make themselves heard in a loud meeting. It's rather sad because here's a company that has literally everything going for it. It's solving a real problem with a product that seems to work (so far) and is profitable. The management seem to be caught like a rabbit in the headlights though and that could cripple the company's long term prospects.

Continue reading
  7. "An exciting place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - People Operations in London, England, England

I have been working at Wise full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's been a great experience so far to work in an environment so driven by its mission, with such talented people on that journey. As a result, there's a deeply rewarding culture here, underpinned by strong values that people really care about. It's definitely a challenging start here when there's so much to take in and learn, but there's plenty of support around you to enjoy the ride and really give your career a huge boost.

Cons

Nothing for me to report :)

"Great benefits and autonomous Teams"

Current Employee - Full Stack Software Developer in London, England, England

I have been working at Wise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Visionary and inspirational CEO. Lots of flexibility and trust. Great community and awesome perks. Surrounded by smart and talented people.

Cons

Salary is below market rate but the benefits and stock options make it a good option Autonomous teams can leave me feeling like there's a lack of structure and support

Continue reading

"Growing pains still, weak tech leadership."

Current Employee - Tech Lead in London, England, England

I have been working at Wise full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people, driven environment, very challenging.

Cons

Inconsistency, some leads are resting and vesting. Some new people are political and will gain more power because they look for it. Some old timers are not suited to their role anymore and the role outgrew them.

Wise Response

November 10, 2019Marketing Manager

Thanks for sharing your honest feedback and I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations. We want all our people to feel that they can make their concerns heard, clearly knowing where there are issues is the only way we can get better. If you're up for a conversation, Mallory in Engineering Experience would love to hear more. You can either reach out directly to her, or I can put you in touch. Let us know and best wishes, Jihan.

10. "Working at TransferWise"

Current Employee - Compliance Specialist in London, England, England

I have been working at Wise full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, collegiate team, work ownership, great remuneration, team support, great work/ life balance.

Cons

I don't have any cons!

Viewing 61 - 70 of 524 Reviews