Wise Employee Reviews about "team leads"

Updated 27 Nov 2020

4.5
Wise CEO Kristo Käärman
Kristo Käärman
Pros
  • "A lovely work environment with a nice working culture(in 55 reviews)

• "Great people that you get to work with(in 30 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Autonomous teams means that often you need to "lobby" with other teams to get things done(in 35 reviews)

• "there are many questionable team leads who might have great technical knowledge but really not mature enough or ready to tackle human issues(in 18 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "team leads"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A nice place to feel appreciated

20 Aug 2020 - Audio Visual Specialist in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Highly autonomous - Fast-paced - You are respected and given the opportunities to work on essentially whatever you want, once it aligns with the overall mission - People want to be there and to work, it's quite evident that people care deeply about what TransferWise is trying to accomplish

Cons

- Like any workplace, there are a small percentage of people who really go out of their way to be difficult by placing their needs above everyone else and above TransferWise - The archical order of teams, departments, sub-teams, tribes etc. is dangerously confusing. It's really hard to tell what team/tribe/department people belong to at times, not to mention the speed at which the company is growing, so sometimes, you can feel really isolated and not quite know where you fit into things. - There is also not much clarification on career progression, for my position anyhow. It seems the only way I can progress is if (1) My team lead either leaves or is promoted, (2) I change teams or (3) we hire more people and require more team leads and I can apply. This uncertainty is not conducive to mental stability and can increase the risk of leaving for other opportunities.

2. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work, but not to develop a career

3 Oct 2020 - Analyst in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

- You get a lot of responsibility which makes you learn a lot quick - There is no (micro)management at all. People trust you entirely in your job. - Work hours and location are very flexible (even before COVID). Nobody cares if you come in late, or leave early from time to time. It's mainly about your results, people don't mind how you achieve them. - Frequent team nights and trips with your coworkers are amazing. Going to work quickly feels like hanging out with friends.

Cons

- The autonomous culture is great: you look for your own projects and work on what you think is important. I personally liked it, but for some people this might be confusing and hard. - The organization is very flat: there's almost no hierarchy. This means you get a lot of decision making power and freedom. But this also means that there is no real way to develop a 'career' within TransferWise. You can only really become a team lead, which is only possible if your lead leaves. Beyond that there's no way to 'climb up the ladder'. The CEO himself said that he 'doesn't want people to come to TransferWise to develop careers'. - You'll be assigned to an autonomous team, meaning that as an analyst you'll be working with a team of engineers, product manager, designer, etc. There is no functional departments. This has its advantages but it also means you're alone in your role. There's no real senior analysts to learn from.

8 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0

Best place I've ever worked

5 May 2020 - Copywriter in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Absolutely love it here. You're trusted to get on with things, and also to manage your own time. If you need to work flexibly or need a day off, you can take it. You're treated like a human, and there's support if you ask for it. The work is varied and the people are intelligent, and really chill. Not many egos. I'm obsessed (not in a weird way) with my team — they're a good bunch. I know not all teams are as great, but they're 2,000+ people you can chose to work with too.

Cons

They have some exceptional people that they are at risk of losing if they don't get the right team lead. They should focus on retention and growing team leads. And not tip toe around "market salaries". Also most roles going live are senior — they could be losing out on potential.

4. 2.0
      Current Employee

Mediocre CS role at just another corporation (with nepotism here and there)

27 Nov 2020 - Customer Service Specialist in Tallinn
      Business Outlook

Pros

I would probably give 4 stars when I started 3 years ago, but the longer I stay in the company the more disillusioned I become. Not many pros left due to the current world situation, but I will try to list a few that’s left: - Average salary – 1300 EUR. You will get 100 EUR raise each year if you are sane enough to stay longer and comply with constantly increasing performance requirements. - 30 EUR allowance per month for gym / sports - Few dozens of stock options (if you are starting in 2021 – you probably won’t get anything, forget it) - Most customers are nice which means that you won’t be yelled at for entire 8 hours each day. Just a couple of angry customers who may drain your soul, but that’s ok compared to other CS jobs.

Cons

- You are in CS. This means other teams treat you like you are at the bottom of the food chain. Nobody cares about the work you do, except your team lead. He, or most likely she (80% of CS team leads are women), will pretend they care. Back in the days they used to have 10 phone hours per month to help customers, now they don't even touch communications with clients. Team leads spend their days "planning" the future and thinking how to make you more efficient. If you received a manger call – you have to spend ages finding another CS agent who will pretend to be a manager. - Career progression is unlikely, unless you are one of cool kids or formed a friendship with a hiring manager. It doesn’t matter how many years you’ve worked in the company. All depends on whether a team lead likes you and whether they hear things they want to hear during an interview. I’ve seen really talented people not getting a job they’ve done tremendous amount of work for – that’s normal when it comes to CS in TransferWise. Wrong people get promoted for no reason. Also, most non-CS positions are opened to external hiring. Oh, and if your team lead feels you are not performing as well as you should be, you will not get a permission to apply anywhere. - Toxic "feedback culture". A lot of people in the company don’t know how to give feedback and how to receive it. Even if you did something that wasn’t your fault, I recommend to say “thank you” and suck it up. Don’t give a feedback to your team lead – most of them have a big ego and you will regret it at some stage. - Performance requirements constantly changing. One month you may find yourself doing a good job, the next month your team lead is telling you it is not enough because it is based on some new “smart” metric. - Interviews for internal applications for other positions are often done by amateurs who are not really interested in you as a candidate. Sometimes they even make insulting assumptions about why you won't be a good fit. HR doesn't care, they are not interested about the quality of interview neither about bad practices. Team leads decide how they hire and who they hire. If you think something is unfair - suck it up, nobody cares.

13 people found this review helpful

People Team Lead

Hi, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It sounds like you’re not having a good time at the moment and I want to try and help improve things for you. I'm particularly sad to read how you feel Customer Support is viewed in the company as it's a such a key part of TransferWise that we value and wouldn't be without. And also your worries about career progression and how we give feedback. If you feel comfortable coming forward, we can have a confidential chat about some of your concerns with either myself or someone else in the People team. Please feel free to reach out to me if you’d be up for a conversation. Jihan

5. 1.0

Very dissatisfied!

27 Nov 2020 - Customer Service Associate in Budapest
      Business Outlook

Pros

salary is above average customer service money

Cons

was treated like garbage, it is all wrong You arrive and being treated with direct, apparent kindness and helping care for the onboarding week. Do not believe it. They will show you the table soccer, pool table, workout room... You will never have a minute to use any of them, these are just for show-off. All sorts of free food in the office, once a week company lunch, breakfast, coffee, coke products and fruit are free every day. Until you have COVID and this all goes to nil, you work from home office, you get NOTHING, no perks, no transport pass, no cafeteria. You are being closely watched all the time, especially by your team lead. The team leads are generally twenty-something year old young girlscouts, who might be well versed in technical knowledge valid only if you work there, but absolutely incapable of humanely carry the role of leading people and dealing with real persons, especially of older ages. They will never protect you, or curious about your side of the story, but will help telling you off and discipline you for out-of-the-team claims. Team leads have the tendency to pick and promote freshly hired girls to team lead level, those with whom they find appealing. If someone is not promoted by the end of their probation, then probably he/she will remain in the same position forever. Do not worry, this does not last a long time. Some people are put to personal improvement plan (PIP), which means they are basically looking for a good reason to fire the person. Sometimes it follows probation time right away, and as the PIP includes the option to be fired for underachievement if the desired results are not reached. The desired level is calculated by having tickets reviewed by the same scoutgirls, who do what their girlfriend team leads ask of them, and 85% is the pass rate. You can fail a ticket for simply not writing it in the manner the reviewer thinks it should have been written, and also for not filling in a statistics category for a ticket the way the reviewer thinks it should have been. During the PIP session, which lasts a short two months, you are heavily micromanaged, they know about your idle time, the time you spend with a customer, the time you spend by writing scripts about customer calls, what you do on the company laptop, EVERYTHING. As you are on PIP, it is like probation time never ends, you are being threatened to be fired constantly. The most stressful and disgusting part is when they tell you how everyone only wants to help you only (utter lie) they tell you they have a feedback culture, so feedback has to be received and given as HELP (even bigger lie). However, if you try to make a remark of criticizm, you will realize that the feedback culture is a one way street, you should welcome it but should not practice it. Everyone at the company is at a higher rank than customer agents. They claim there are no managers, as there is a flat company structure, but this is just another major lie, everyone is your superior at any team, and you are treated by most accordingly. YOu turn for help to one of the currency management teams, and all you get is public shaming, then when you retort, you get a warning. This time it is not your feedback anymore, but you have 'communication problems'. They say there is no lunchtime, so you spend eight hours working and that is it, lunchtime is included. This is a lie, as lunchtime is there if you can manage to perfom the required number of tickets and still have ten minutes to eat something. I have never given wrong information to any customer and had lots of thank you letters from grateful people, but this is not what Transferwise, and especially the team lead girlscouts want. The job itself can be done OK, although it is VERY stressful, I never felt so tired in my whole life. TransferWise was a HORRIBLE experience, with daily practiced hypocrisy, a little bit like when we had to pretend we believe in communism, where you were forced to show the belief of their lies and get ashamed and humiliated by a 20 year old team lead girl on a daily basis until she manages to get you fired for not performing above 85% constantly. The expected number of tickets per hour were harshly increased in 6 months, it was raise from 5 to 6 in an hour (definitely no time to get lunch or do a number two) and even the task of removing sensitive customer data from emails was assigned as an extra task, which equals with about the time of finishing a ticket in an hour. If you miss removing the data (like phone numbers) then the ticket fail the review. To top it all, your team lead talks to you about your upcoming sacking as if it was 'unfortunately' an event like losing an entrance test for a TV quiz. No, damn it, this is about putting me to the street in the middle of the pandemic - while they kept hiring newcomers. At times there were not enough tickets to work on, but nobody really cared or tried to help you. I would not recommend working here to my worst enemy, unless you are a 20 year old girl with the soul, experience and attitude of a Japanese cartoon character.

13 people found this review helpful
    6. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

A girlscout jamboree with some 1984

10 Nov 2020 - Customer Support Agent in Budapest
      Business Outlook

Pros

Definitely among the best paying customer service job in the city - cca 850 EUR Net per month

9 people found this review helpful

People Team Lead

Hi - thank you so much for your review. I’m really sorry to hear this was your experience with us, in particular your challenges with your team. It’s true that things are challenging in Covid times when we can’t enjoy the benefits in our offices and we’re working hard to make everyone feel included and that they’re enjoying their job. I do hope you were able to pass on this feedback when you were with us, but if you feel like this wasn't the case, and you’re up for a confidential chat with either me or someone else in the People team, please feel free to email employerbrand@transferwise.com and the team will connect us. Thanks, Jihan

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

The best company in Estonia to work for!

25 Sep 2019 - Compliance Specialist in Tallinn
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great career opportunities if you are hard working and can find your own path. Amazing work environment - everybody in the team is customer focused and people are always up for collaboration in order to make the customers lives easier. Stock options - A great way for employees to be invested in the company. Autonomous teams - It's kind of a double edged sword. When the team lead is good at their job the autonomous team is a super efficient way to work, but unfortunately due to our amazing growth some teams are unorganized due to the autonomous teams and could use a better lead. You can bring your pet to work!

Cons

The salary is still not the best when compared to the market, e.g in banking. Especially when taking into account the average salary rise within the last year and the consumer price index. Sometimes it does feel like older employees get better benefits for the same job. E.g better salaries, oldies protect each other and new positions are given to older employees even when someone else could be a better fit. More assistance could be offered to team members by the team leads in order to find the career path they are interested in. Not everybody can build their own path 100% and it's completely fine :) But these are just small things to improve on and overall the pros outweigh the cons massively.

8. 1.0

Avoid - It's just another office job

5 May 2020 - EDD in Budapest
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Flexibility - Some free food - Learning new things

Cons

- Extreme micromanagement, the company pretends to be a "cool and relaxed" company allowing you to work from pretty much anywhere, however once you're outside the office, your activity is constantly tracked. - People trying to pass on the decision making responsibility when facing a complicated situation - Those who joined the company first make the rules about the policies and other work related stuff. Agents only think of their QA scores, and not so much about the customer experience since there are no established rules, and this subjectivity may result in bad QA results. - Company shows a very inflated image during onboarding, but in a few months it's easy to see that it's just another environment where people try to step on others to go higher. - Management is incompetent as useless. For most, this is their first management role in their career, so they think micromanaging people makes a good team lead. - You cannot be nice to some people, they will see it as a weakness and try to have their way. - Very poor, almost non-existent training during the onboarding. If you want to learn anything you have to ask stuff around.

3 people found this review helpful

People Team Lead

Hi, thank you for sharing your honest feedback and flagging your concerns with us and I’m really sad to hear this is how you’re currently feeling. It sounds like you’ve been having a difficult time. It’s our job in the People team to make sure everyone’s happy and to hear honest feedback and see if we can take actions so we can get better. If you feel comfortable to make yourself known, I can connect you with a member of the team to chat about the issues you raise face-to-face. We’d really like to hear more and see what we can do to improve things for you. Please reach out to me if you feel comfortable or someone else in the team. Best wishes, Jihan

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good intentions, bad outcomes and experiences

22 Mar 2020 - Customer Support in Budapest
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits, great coworkers, huge effort on employment branding

Cons

The approach how employees are evaluated (and valued) have dramatically changed. The company still try emphasise its values however they are mainly just written on the wall when you see the management is going the opposite (probably it is only in Customer Support but I heard similar things from different teams). Decisions are made fast without involving those people who would be able to give insight of a certain problem, then agents and some team leads feel limited and out of control. Flat hierarchy is not a thing anymore and I also think feedback is not welcomed by management at all, however when you don't give feedback to your coworkers you are challenged why. I experience a lot of supression and lack of honesty these days.

4 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Current Employee

Good company culture but no so good team culture.

26 Jan 2020 - Operation in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

Like all the comments, many talented nice people in the company. Free food. Good working environment. The office team made sure you feel comfortable.

Cons

The team and the team lead will judge you by their impression. When you join the team, your job is to make everyone happy about you otherwise they will feedback you to higher up. Then you have to explain why you didn't make everyone happy. There's peer pressure where you can't express your thought when your opinion is not aligned with the company culture. In such occasions, people team will come to you and ask what happened? we welcome your feedback! but they aren't helping but assessing. Most of the leaders are from oldies, and some of them are not even suitable to lead, they merely stay longer in Transferwise. The feedback culture is a good intention but I see some cases when people use it against each other, and the team leader is not capable of handling it.

5 people found this review helpful

Marketing Manager

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I’m sorry to hear this is how you’re currently feeling. It’s our job in the People team to make sure everyone’s happy and to hear honest feedback and see if we can take actions so we can get better. If you feel comfortable to make yourself known, I can connect you with a member of the team to chat about the issues you raise face-to-face. We’d really like to hear more and see what we can do to improve things for you. Best wishes, Jihan

Viewing 1 - 10 of 14 Reviews