Workday Employee Reviews about "pleasanton"

Updated 13 Apr 2020

Workday CEO, Co-Founder & Chairman Aneel Bhusri
Aneel Bhusri
Pros
  • "Great culture of caring management(in 124 reviews)

• "It's a great company with great employees that is on a track to success(in 66 reviews)

Reviews about "pleasanton"

Return to all Reviews

"Really is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* The culture is really great, in practice what this means is that people are easy to work with, management doesn't (typically) micro-manage, people are trusted, benefits are generous, if you need time off you can take it, etc. Also plenty of interest groups, competitions, socials. Team outings are encouraged. * The product is a sticky one that has a big impact on the world. The biggest companies in the world use our product and its exciting to build products that can impact millions of employees for the better. There's a lot of growth to be had and we are continuously expanding our product lines. * There is a lot of room for internal mobility! You are not stuck in the role you were hired into (at least after one year of serving in that role). You can move to different teams or even different roles altogether. This is a great place to grow your career if you are motivated and willing to speak up for yourself with your manager. Some examples I'm aware of: Developer -> PM, Pre-Sales. QA -> Developer, PM * Compensation is about average for the bay area, but that is still pretty good! You typically will get decent base salary and RSU package (e.g. 40k over 4 years). This grows each year as you get a "refresh" (e.g. another 40k over 4 years). After 4 years you have 4 grants vesting at the same time in April (our comp cycle). That can be 10k raise each year even if you don't have a boost in base salary.

Cons

* Volatile stock means volatile compensation when much of it is from RSUs. But this can also be to your favor if you hold long term. When I joined my RSUs were granted at a local maxima price and dropped shortly after, only recovering (and then dramatically surpassing) that price 2 years later. But the following year or two was a surge in Workday's price which led to significant inflation of my compensation. * Don't expect significant base salary raises unless it is a major promotion and you are a good negotiator. Often you won't get any base salary increase, and other times you might get 1-3%. It is difficult to negotiate once you get your annual review and compensation update, the budget has already been allocated and agreed to a month+ prior. If you negotiate successfully you may only see a bump months later. * Depending on your team you may have FREQUENT re-organizations, even up to 2-3 times a year. Which could mean new manager and change in your charter. If you are an IC, you are usually not consulted on this and simply have to deal with it. Even director level folks are sometimes not consulted with on these changes, and we have seen turn over due to undesirable changes from a re-org (for certain people). I've been at workday for many years now and have had more manager than years employed. It has its pros and cons, and it has to do with which teams you join. * The team you join MATTERS. If you join a team that is focused on a legacy product, you can chill more and could be a good place to be to "rest and vest" and have time to take care of your family (leave early to pick them up from school, etc.) If you join an innovative team that is pushing through new product lines, there is a higher expectation and just cruising will look bad. If you are a motivated individual, I urge against joining (or at least saying long term) in a team that is of the "cruising" archetype. Take advantage of the internal mobility and join an innovative team to grow your career. * Office locations aren't ideal. Depending on your values, Pleasanton HQ can be good or bad. If you live in the east bay, it's obviously good. If you live in SF it's less good. There is an SF office, but you should assume you will not be working there (unless you're joining Scout, or are in corporate comms, marketing, etc.) There other offices are Boulder, Portland, Victoria (BC), Dublin (Ireland), so if you want to live somewhere warm Pleasanton is the only option. Boulder seems to be the second most active office after Pleasanton and we're doing a lot more hiring there if that's your interest. * Occasionally, management talks politics (US politics), and I feel like this can alienate many employees. Even if the majority agrees with the politics, there are at least 40% of employees who feel alienated. I don't think this company should involve itself in controversial politics. It's certainly not as bad as some other tech companies though in this regard though!

Workday2020-04-13
  2. "Amazing people, great culture"

Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer

I have been working at Workday full-time

Pros

The people you work with are people you would even want to spend time with outside of work.

Cons

Pleasanton, CA is kind of out in the boonies

Workday2020-01-10

"High impact role supporting all our internal business partners creating and implementing business solutions."

Current Employee - Senior Associate Business Systems Analyst in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work life balance, business casual, and optimistic future.

Cons

Many workmates leave in search of a better work location. For many, Pleasanton is too far from where talented workers live.

Workday2019-10-23
  4. "Supportive and Healthy Work Environment"

Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people Good management Intern and College Grad programs are amazing

Cons

Pleasanton is a very suburban area, although it has great restaurants

Workday2019-10-14

"Love this place!"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Workday full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company deserves the lofty “Great Place to Work” rankings. It has an amazing culture and management. This is gonna sound a bit like a fake review, but I’m so grateful to work with such talented and caring people, and have never seen such a well-managed company! Love the snack program, chances to volunteer through the Giving & Doing program, and the new equator coffee shop at headquarters!

Cons

Wish the SF office was more of a mainstream option. Pleasanton is far away for many employees in the city or south & north bay.

Workday2019-09-08
  6. "Fantastic Place to Work"

Current Employee - Value Manager

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Incredibly employee focused. Benefits were really good. Work-life balance very strong as well

Cons

Pleasanton office is slightly far from the rest of the Bay Area

Workday2019-08-06

"I love my job!"

Current Employee - Software Applications Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for less than a year

Pros

I came to Workday as a new graduate, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. In addition to great salary, benefits, employee programs, etc., the characteristic that really sets Workday apart is the people. The whole company really feels like one huge team, which I think is pretty rare, especially in contrast to other companies. There's a ton of trust, and the management structure is super supportive while totally avoiding micromanagement.

Cons

It would be awesome if there were a few more options for subsidized meals on the Pleasanton campus, but the snack program is totally free + provides almost anything you need.

Workday2019-04-08

"Not recommended"

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Workday full-time for less than a year

Pros

- The company is doing well right now - Some engineers seem genuinely interested in learning and improving system architecture

Cons

- Based in Pleasanton - Slow pace of development due in part to... - Difficulty in coordinating end to end features - Cliquish culture - Hypersensitivity hinders polite, yet open discourse because fear of offending egos, or appearing to have differing ideas. - A lot of company specific knowledge, which likely won't translate to future positions

Workday2019-03-08

"Extremely nice and smart coworkers"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than a year

Pros

Workday has a great culture of teamwork and kindness. From what I've experienced since starting here, there seems to be a minimal amount of politics and ego issues. Work life balance and work hour flexibility is great.

Cons

Compensation is fair but not as competitive as other companies in the bay area. This might be because it's based in Pleasanton.

Workday2019-03-01

"Limited Growth Opportunities for Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Workday full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work/life balance. Great benefits. Challenging work. Majority of coworkers are great. Onsite gym. Flexible with WFH when needed.

Cons

Quick to promote from IC to manager when they have a need. However, their guidance stops once you are promoted. They offer a two day leadership summit and a 3.5 day onsite training in Pleasanton, but that is where the guidance ends. Tons of raining opportunities to advance yourself if you are an IC, however, only senior level and executive level management are offered continued training opportunities. Feeling pretty stuck and as much as I love Workday, I’m about ready to start looking for a company that values growth for ALL employees, not just GWs, ICs, or executives.

Workday2019-02-19