Workplace Systems Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

4.7
Workplace Systems CEO David Farquhar
David Farquhar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It's an environment that breeds new ideas, which is great considering how receptive and open-minded the management is (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Engineers are battling with a lot of legacy code but in reality, who isn't (in 6 reviews)

"Best Employer of my Career"

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely the best working environment I've ever had the good fortune to find myself in. A fantastic culture, a world class product team, great and trusting management who Actually Get It, motivated and passionate coworkers. I can't see myself moving on for a good long time, which in this industry is about the most glowing review I could give! After years of mediocre jobs, this has been the absolute jewel in my career. And, surprise surprise given all this, I've never worked harder for a company.

Cons

If I was pressed I'd say the lack of hierarchy means career progression opportunities in a traditional sense are limited, but given the recent takeover this seems likely to change anyway. No complaints - professional development IS on offer.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. We have faith in you, and we appreciate the latitude you give us to do our best work. Very refreshing to be able to critique a management team and reach that conclusion.

19 Sep 2016 – Group CEO

Thanks for such a heartening review! I really holpe you get the opportunities you deserve under the new regime.

- David

2. "A great place to work"

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Workplace is a great place to work.
    Now I'm not saying that everything the Company does is perfect (there are always things for every Company to work on), but its the one place I've worked that tries to do everything the right way, putting its employees first to ensure they get the best out of them.
    When I first arrived, I was totally unprepared for all the 'Good Ship Workplace' vernacular and actual team spirit that I'd arrived into.....it was not something I'd ever experienced......and once you get over the shock of working for a Company that actually lives by its core values (not just has them printed on a wall somewhere and ignored) you soon start to embrace it and love it.
    Workplace's collaborative team mentality is amazing to work within, and new ideas are encouraged, listened to and implemented. This kind of atmosphere encourages an awful lot of hard work because everyone wants to do their best in return.

Cons

Too minor to raise on here

Advice to Management

Just keep on doing what you're doing. You've created the best environment to work in and achieve great things.

19 Sep 2016 – Group CEO

This is so encouraging and really kind of you to say so. Although you can follow your own belief system you never really know whether you are haing the desired effect. Your coments made me smile... More

3. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Software & Customer Support Analyst in Milton Keynes, England
    Former Employee - Software & Customer Support Analyst in Milton Keynes, England

I worked at Workplace Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice place to begin your career

Cons

salary may not be great for a start

Advice to Management

do what they promise

19 Sep 2016 – Group CEO

We always strive to deliver on our promises as I believe the other reviews reflect. It would have been god to have the chance to discuss any concerns before you left but thanjks anyway.

- David

5. "Awesome team, awesome company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Milton Keynes, England
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Workplace Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

It's hard, but hard in the right way. The team is fantastic and the culture is wonderfully nurturing. The work is tough but the ambition and drive for quality is awesome. The shared sense of care for the work we do transcends all levels of the company and they've created a wonderful environment where people can be successful.

Cons

The roof currently leaks and engineers would really benefit from higher resolution external screens.
    Engineers are battling with a lot of legacy code but in reality, who isn't? There's also a great drive to make it better rather than just living with it.

Advice to Management

Since the merger, another 'Gathering' would be great. Also, engineers would really benefit from having bigger, higher-res screens.

19 Sep 2016 – Group CEO

Thanks for the feedback: you've clearly fully imbibed what we're trying to achieve. I have passed your request for high res screens on to Dale, Ronan and Angela.

- David

"Great team, great culture, great company!!"

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time

Pros

At the companies I've worked previous to Workplace I've thought about leaving after 2 weeks as the role/culture wasn't as described or the company didn't feel like the right fit, so before joining Workplace there was a little trepidation in terms of will it be as they say it is? Since joining Workplace I'm very happy to say that I haven't had those feelings, everything is as described during the interview process and Workplace feels like the company I've been looking for. From the minute you walk into the building you can feel/see a completely different culture to any where you may have worked before.

What I enjoy most about working here is the openness to change and being able to bring new ideas to the table without being told "Well we've always done it that way, so why change?!". Workplace is a fast paced company and during my time here I have been consistently challenged and enjoyed being to able rise to that challenge. Since joining the company I have been able to improve my Agile knowledge, extend my management skill set, work with a great team and learned that my career path doesn't have to be one dimensional.

Cons

No kitchen roll in the thirdspace

15 Jun 2016 – Group CEO

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I am delighted that we have lived up to the expectations set at interview.

Oh, and I'll mention the kitchen roll to Dale...

David

"Great products, great company"

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time

Pros

There's nothing better than working in an environment where everyone believes in the products that we have created. Everyone at Workplace is constantly striving for further innovation and ways to make the products we sell better for our current and prospective customers. Additionally, Workplace employees enjoy flexibility and a good work-life balance.

Cons

There is space for improvement on some of the additional work benefits but, I believe, this is something which is being looked at and there have been improvements in the last few months, i.e. flexibile benefits portal, Cycle to Work schemes etc.

15 Jun 2016 – Group CEO

I'm glad you've cited our appetite for innovation: the key thing is it that thanks to your spirit, it comes from the whole crew not top down from management.

I'd agree we have room to develop the... More

8. "Software developer"

Pros

They have computers and allow you to write software that works really well if you write it correctly with the correct syntax and no bugs.

Cons

You can be told off if you stop working or if you stop going into work without a valid reason that you can get away with.

28 Apr 2016 – Group CEO

Pros
    Fun, you could have: Replace a semi colon (;) witha Greek question mark (;) in your friend's C# code and watch him pull his hair out over the syntax error.

Cons:
    "Getting Away with... More

"Amazing atmosphere"

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture is amazing, the place is full of excellent people who enjoy working and having fun together. This is also an organisation that truly embrace agile methodologies, starting from engineering to all across professional services. People at Workplace thrive to get better at what they do and how they do it together.

Cons

Continuous success in bringing in more sales, acquiring new customers or upselling to existing ones result in extra pressure all across the business due to technical debt and legacy issues on the technical front.

9 Apr 2016 – Group CEO

Thanks for the great feedback. This is what mnakes us successful and different from your average software company. Growing pains are inevitable and the engineering guys are investing heavily in... More

"Brilliant Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England

Pros

Having been a part of Workplace for over a year now, I can honestly say, time has flown by. The interaction and support between the execs, management, departments and global offices reflects a true collaborate working team atmosphere. It's a breath of fresh air to work for a company that truly cares for both their employees and customers.

Cons

I don't feel that there are any cons

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

1 Dec 2015 – Group CEO

And it's very reassuring to know that you can feel the benefit. I promise we will keep on the voyage - our work here is far from done!
    - Thanks, David

"Still having the time of my life..."

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The good ship Workplace has become a remarkable place where talented people do extraordinary things. We're challenged to dream big and then deliver. Then there will be another thing; so be ready. Great fun for those with a paddle who know how and love to use it.

Cons

It's not for the faint hearted. If you crave a regular, predictable, unchanging and unchallenging job then this is not the place for you.

29 Nov 2015 – Group CEO

And long may it stay that way! Thanks for the feedback
    David