Workplace Systems Reviews

Found 90 of over 92 reviews

4.6
Workplace Systems CEO David Farquhar
David Farquhar
Pros
  • "The benefits are unbeatable and the work/life balance is unreal(in 10 reviews)

• "The best part of working at Workplace is the senior management team(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It does have some legacy technical debt(in 7 reviews)

• "I have yet to find too many cons, it is hard work and there is a pressure that comes from a strong need to play your part and support your peers(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

The company you can learn a lot from

May 22, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Milton Keynes, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Managing changes in a good pace in a safe environment.

Cons

Some more benefits would have made the company more attractive for employees.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great plans, people, products and prospects

May 12, 2015 - Product Development Manager in Milton Keynes, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Workplace has transformed over the last two years into a vibrant and exciting place to work. Having worked here for almost 10 years, I have never felt more positive about what is happening in the company. A solid management team, with a clear plan, and lots of new talented recruits have really raised the bar at Workplace. Some other highlights include: a nice office in a great location, a great social atmosphere, lots of new employee initiatives, new technologies and products, career opportunities, and an impressive customer portfolio. For anyone wanting to work or gain experience in Agile, Workplace is a truly Agile company and is constantly looking at ways of improving its processes across all functions. The company welcomes people with fresh ideas who want to stand out and make a difference.

Cons

There are a few legacy products with large, complex code bases that are difficult to maintain. Time and effort is already being invested to recover this technical debt.

7 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0

Gone to the "Dark Side"

May 16, 2015 - Global Operations Manager in Milton Keynes, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Previously I had been working as a contract project manager for 17 years and didn't think I would ever want to go back into permanent employment. For contractors there are lots of reasons why they wouldn't move back, reduction in pay, fear of being stuck in one job, the politics etc. Contractors have a phrase for this move, stolen from Star Wars, a move to the "Dark Side". However having worked as a contractor for 6 months at Workplace I realised that this was a company where my efforts would be valued, that the companies outlook was fantastic and that I wanted to play a part in their success. They also saw something in me as they offered me a role as Global Operations Manager, the fact that they did this and that I moved away from contracting should tell you all you need to know about Workplace.

Cons

I have yet to find too many cons, it is hard work and there is a pressure that comes from a strong need to play your part and support your peers. But I can't complain about this as this was one of the factors that drew me to the company in the first place.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

A Challenging Place to Work (in the right way)

May 12, 2015 -  in Stone, Staffordshire, West Midlands, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at Workplace for many years (15+years), through some good times and bad. I can honestly say that since the change in ownership and managment about 2 years ago, the company is unrecognisable. From newly refurbished offices (including breakout areas), to casual dress code, to radical modern changes in working practices, the company has changed from a being an 80s software startup still trying to make it's way, to a global player on an steep upward trend. Gone are the cycles of boom and bust, just growth and challenging (in the right way) work - new products, new technologies, backed by a management that really knows what it's doing. Flexible working is possible, mysefl included, with many staff working part-time or felxible hours. After all this time, I now know what working for a software company SHOULD be like.

Cons

Because of the growth and changes, it's a challenging place to work - don't work here if you want a queit life, sat in a corner, knocking out the same type of code every day. You're be challenged, and will be given scope to take on as much responsibility as you want.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great team, great culture, great company!!

Jun 1, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

At the companies I've worked previous to Workplace I've thought about leaving after 2 weeks as the role/culture wasn't as described or the company didn't feel like the right fit, so before joining Workplace there was a little trepidation in terms of will it be as they say it is? Since joining Workplace I'm very happy to say that I haven't had those feelings, everything is as described during the interview process and Workplace feels like the company I've been looking for. From the minute you walk into the building you can feel/see a completely different culture to any where you may have worked before. What I enjoy most about working here is the openness to change and being able to bring new ideas to the table without being told "Well we've always done it that way, so why change?!". Workplace is a fast paced company and during my time here I have been consistently challenged and enjoyed being to able rise to that challenge. Since joining the company I have been able to improve my Agile knowledge, extend my management skill set, work with a great team and learned that my career path doesn't have to be one dimensional.

Cons

No kitchen roll in the thirdspace

Group CEO

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I am delighted that we have lived up to the expectations set at interview. Oh, and I'll mention the kitchen roll to Dale... David

6. 4.0
      Current Employee

Working for a grown up company...

May 12, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Workplace has moved forward with huge strides in the last 18 months. During this time they have instigated lots of positive initiatives for the employees and made it a very company centric business to work within. The environment is relaxed but hard working and the working relationships with other team member are mostly positive. They are creating and delivering state of the art software to the market place which is well received. If you work hard you will be rewarded.

Cons

As a business there are areas that are still a little understaffed. But this happens when you move forward at the speed the business has. Recruitment can be slow, but this is due to the right person not only having the right skills, but also the attitude and personality for the role. Working time lines are sometimes difficult to achieve, but generally the managers are supportive and help you work through them. Salaries are acceptable, but always room for improvement. The sales team are the least integrated into the business and still want to sell at any cost in some cases. This needs to be addressed to allow the rest of the business to succeed too.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A great place to work

Aug 2, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Workplace is a great place to work. Now I'm not saying that everything the Company does is perfect (there are always things for every Company to work on), but its the one place I've worked that tries to do everything the right way, putting its employees first to ensure they get the best out of them. When I first arrived, I was totally unprepared for all the 'Good Ship Workplace' vernacular and actual team spirit that I'd arrived into.....it was not something I'd ever experienced......and once you get over the shock of working for a Company that actually lives by its core values (not just has them printed on a wall somewhere and ignored) you soon start to embrace it and love it. Workplace's collaborative team mentality is amazing to work within, and new ideas are encouraged, listened to and implemented. This kind of atmosphere encourages an awful lot of hard work because everyone wants to do their best in return.

Cons

Too minor to raise on here

Group CEO

This is so encouraging and really kind of you to say so. Although you can follow your own belief system you never really know whether you are haing the desired effect. Your coments made me smile today. - David

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Moving fast in the right direction with the right people

Oct 24, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Workplace lives and breathes it’s company culture and values. Its pivotal to the products we build, the way we delight our customers and how we treat each other. Best practice, for employee, employer and the customer is being rolled out out across the company. Many of the core disciplines you would expect to see in an modern SaaS/Mobile software company are in place or being rolled out out including – agile, UX, customer centric design, product owners, commercial product management, digital marketing, product marketing, cutting edge field marketing etc. All the pieces of the jigsaw are there and coming together under the guidance of some very experienced and very capable leaders. This is a company ready to explode onto the global stage, it’s an exciting place to be.

Cons

We move quickly and there is always a lot to do - but i would argue anything that's really worthwhile takes hard work and commitment. Processes are a week point but being addressed.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee

A good time to join Workplace

May 17, 2015 - Consultant in Milton Keynes, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Workplace is the most supportive company I have ever worked for. They are always open-minded and ready to listen to constructive comments and actively encourage new ideas and innovative 'outside the box' thinking. If you are willing to do your job and have a flexible/can do/give and take attitude, Workplace will, in my experience, recognise this and treat you in the same way. They also have an 'Employee Engagement' team who listen to benefit-improvement suggestions from colleagues and recommend them to the management team where appropriate. Just one example of this process which has recently been approved and implemented is the 'Birtholiday' - an extra day's holiday for everyone to enable them to take their Birthday off without reducing their holiday entitlement!

Cons

There are no Workplace-specific 'Cons' I can think of. Any negative aspects would be generic to working for any comparable employers within this market/sector.

3 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0

Fun, challenging, and

Jun 21, 2015 - Senior Software Engineer in Milton Keynes, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

The past year I've been at Workplace I've been witness to a company undertaking a significant change, both culturally and technically. Day to day I work in an open, fun environment with very talented peers, who strive to make excellent software and motivate others to do so as well. I have been given significant opportunities in a very short space of time, and with a philosophical buy-in from all levels of management about building quality software, I find it very easy to see the impact I make day-to-day, both for our clients, and for others in the company. If you're someone who wants to learn, play with technology, and really cares about making great software, I couldn't recommend a better team to be part of.

Cons

The product I work on is large and complex, with signficant amount of technical debt. However, with real investment, and clear plans from our architecture team, we're making impressive progress in turning the product around.

Group CEO

So, another 6 months on and I wonder how the aditional investment and those architectural improvements are working out. Some updated feedback would be really useful so we can gauge how wise our investment has been. Yes I think we are going to be out-growing our MK offices within 12 months or so: we're already over capacity in Chicago and need to invest there as well. This is all going into the new business plan. Thanks! - David

Viewing 1 - 10 of 90 Reviews