Workplace Systems Reviews

Updated 24 Aug 2016

4.6
Workplace Systems CEO David Farquhar
David Farquhar
Pros
  • "The benefits are unbeatable and the work/life balance is unreal(in 10 reviews)

• "The best part of working at Workplace is the senior management team(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "It does have some legacy technical debt(in 7 reviews)

• "I have yet to find too many cons, it is hard work and there is a pressure that comes from a strong need to play your part and support your peers(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

"Best Employer of my Career"

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Absolutely the best working environment I've ever had the good fortune to find myself in. A fantastic culture, a world class product team, great and trusting management who Actually Get It, motivated and passionate coworkers. I can't see myself moving on for a good long time, which in this industry is about the most glowing review I could give! After years of mediocre jobs, this has been the absolute jewel in my career. And, surprise surprise given all this, I've never worked harder for a company.

Cons

If I was pressed I'd say the lack of hierarchy means career progression opportunities in a traditional sense are limited, but given the recent takeover this seems likely to change anyway. No complaints - professional development IS on offer.

September 19, 2016Group CEO

Thanks for such a heartening review! I really holpe you get the opportunities you deserve under the new regime. - David

"Great plans, people, products and prospects"

Current Employee - Product Development Manager in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time

Pros

Workplace has transformed over the last two years into a vibrant and exciting place to work. Having worked here for almost 10 years, I have never felt more positive about what is happening in the company. A solid management team, with a clear plan, and lots of new talented recruits have really raised the bar at Workplace. Some other highlights include: a nice office in a great location, a great social atmosphere, lots of new employee initiatives, new technologies and products, career opportunities, and an impressive customer portfolio. For anyone wanting to work or gain experience in Agile, Workplace is a truly Agile company and is constantly looking at ways of improving its processes across all functions. The company welcomes people with fresh ideas who want to stand out and make a difference.

Cons

There are a few legacy products with large, complex code bases that are difficult to maintain. Time and effort is already being invested to recover this technical debt.

Continue reading

"A good time to join Workplace"

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time

Pros

Workplace is the most supportive company I have ever worked for. They are always open-minded and ready to listen to constructive comments and actively encourage new ideas and innovative 'outside the box' thinking. If you are willing to do your job and have a flexible/can do/give and take attitude, Workplace will, in my experience, recognise this and treat you in the same way. They also have an 'Employee Engagement' team who listen to benefit-improvement suggestions from colleagues and recommend them to the management team where appropriate. Just one example of this process which has recently been approved and implemented is the 'Birtholiday' - an extra day's holiday for everyone to enable them to take their Birthday off without reducing their holiday entitlement!

Cons

There are no Workplace-specific 'Cons' I can think of. Any negative aspects would be generic to working for any comparable employers within this market/sector.

Continue reading

"Genuinely a great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best part of working at Workplace is the senior management team. They have a plan, know what they're doing, regularly communicate it to the business and everyone knows what their part is in it. Everyone has an opportunity to input and impact what is going on in the business. As a small company, the human element of the business is strong, we care about each other and you are supported to fulfil your potential. We don't have a dress code, we don't have to work on our birthday, we write on the walls, we have fun, but we do work hard!

Cons

Nothing that you don't find in any organisation, e.g the occasional issues with inter-department cooperation. We've changed a lot over the last two years (for the better)

Continue reading

"A Challenging Place to Work (in the right way)"

in Stone, Staffordshire, West Midlands, England

I have been working at Workplace Systems

Pros

I've worked at Workplace for many years (15+years), through some good times and bad. I can honestly say that since the change in ownership and managment about 2 years ago, the company is unrecognisable. From newly refurbished offices (including breakout areas), to casual dress code, to radical modern changes in working practices, the company has changed from a being an 80s software startup still trying to make it's way, to a global player on an steep upward trend. Gone are the cycles of boom and bust, just growth and challenging (in the right way) work - new products, new technologies, backed by a management that really knows what it's doing. Flexible working is possible, mysefl included, with many staff working part-time or felxible hours. After all this time, I now know what working for a software company SHOULD be like.

Cons

Because of the growth and changes, it's a challenging place to work - don't work here if you want a queit life, sat in a corner, knocking out the same type of code every day. You're be challenged, and will be given scope to take on as much responsibility as you want.

Continue reading

"Perfect atmosphere for personal growth"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

The collaborative effort of everyone that works here makes it a joyous place to be, excellent place to learn and progress yourself further as an individual. Very much treated like an adult and truly feel like a member of the team with feedback and information coming all the way down from the very top to the very bottom. Staff are made to feel like number one priority.

Cons

Rapid expansion means the office is in a constant state of flux while they try to accommodate all the new members of the team.

Continue reading

"A friendly, team orientated company"

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people The clients. The working atmosphere.

Cons

Recent changes to management and processes.

May 27, 2015Group CEO

Now that we're almost 2 years into Workplace 2.0, I'd love to have you review the company under this leadership team, so we can keep learning and improving. Thanks! - David

"Creative fun with a great team"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Workplace Systems part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fantastic positive colleagues, creative intelligent fun with a key focus on living and delivering employee engagement. Great culture and values: Market Driven Innovation, Excellence, Integrity, Fun and Passionate, Global Collaborative Team. Freedom to create and make your ideas happen in a fast paced environment.

Cons

Just not enough time in the day to do everything I want to do.

May 27, 2015Group CEO

Thanks for the encouragement. Let's make sure we get the workload and expectations set right to help you achieve your goals. - David

"A great small company in the heart of Milton Keynes"

Current Employee - Manager in Milton Keynes, England

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent growth potential and expanding rapidly. Team attitude and friendly working environment. Inclusive culture; open and inviting.

Cons

Following some years of neglect the company Intranet is out of date, but work is underway on a new improved site.

May 27, 2015HR Manager

Great feedack. "The Bridge", our new intranet site, is up and running, so let us know what you think. Everyone has embraced massive change in these past 2 years and I hugely admire that commitment. Thanks, - David

"A reinvigorated company with a great future ahead of it"

I have been working at Workplace Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Joining at what appears to be the tail end of a period of significant change, I've found all staff whether new blood or remaining longstanding employees to be positive, helpful, talented and motivated. Change is still ongoing but the company has a clear direction and focus which is being guided by a skilled and likeable leadership team. All employees are also empowered to contribute to the success and improvements of the company. It is definitely the most 'democratic' company I've worked at. There are also determined efforts to increase employee satisfaction even more in the coming year. If your values, skills and personality align with the companies aims then I believe there is significant opportunity to be had.

Cons

Although the company is currently coming out of a significant amount of change (for the better), some areas appear a little slower to adapt than others. As a global company a bit more could be done to improve sharing of knowledge and improvements across continents.

May 28, 2015Group CEO

I am grateful for the positive comments and agree with your analysis of the need to share knowledge and improvements. I hope the installation of "The Bridge" has made a useful contribution but have you considered proposing initiatives that you think might help drive a one-speed Workplace and keep people involved? IMHO the best ideas can come from anyone in a good company. Thanks, - David

Viewing 1 - 10 of 89 English Reviews