World Relief Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 7 Jul 2019

Found 87 reviews

3.7
Stephan Bauman
Pros
  • "Great people who genuinely care about their clients as well as being financially responsible(in 4 reviews)

• "The mission of empowering the church to serve the most vulnerable is second to none(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Most executives don't even work here in Baltimore which negatively impacts our failing culture(in 3 reviews)

• "Also no cons as to the employees(in 2 reviews)

1. "Good employer"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President

I have been working at World Relief full-time

Pros

Compassionate care for vulnerable people

Cons

Limited finances for innovative work

World Relief2019-07-07
  2. "Good mission, too much instability"

I worked at World Relief full-time

Pros

- Good mission, mostly doing good work around the world - Willing to use their voice to speak up for justice

Cons

- Too much turnover - Too much instability - Frequent layoffs - US office staff are not paid fairly in comparison to headquarters staff - Not as many opportunities for women to be in leadership, very male led organization overall

Advice to Management

Find a way to stable out, too much instability hurts your staff and those you serve. Also, humble down, you think you are the best in the world but there's a lot of people and organizations doing good work.

World Relief2019-06-05
  3. "Meaningful work but understaffed and underfunded"

Former Employee - Resettlement Intern

I worked at World Relief for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity for client advocacy and meaningful work

Cons

A lot of troubleshooting

World Relief2019-03-21
  4. "Welcoming environment with great people doing God's work"

Former Employee - Immigration Legal Services in Stone Mountain, GA

I worked at World Relief for less than a year

Pros

*Every employee is humble, thankful, and selfless in their duties. *The entire staff encourages and welcomes togetherness and kindness. *You get to work with the less fortunate clients and become a pivotal role in their life.

Cons

*No cons in regards to the overall management. Also no cons as to the employees. The only cons stem from circumstances outside of the organization's control. *Most of the cons stem from the cutting government funding forcing this branch to downsize in both office space and staff.

World Relief2019-03-14

"Supportive, mission-driven environment -- best internship I've had!"

Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator Intern in Durham, NC

I worked at World Relief for less than a year

Pros

Terrific people in the office, working hard to do better and better Opportunity as an intern to explore any areas of interest

Cons

Due to the nature of the work, money is always tight and turnover is high Have to learn to work with volunteers, organizations, and donors who are more theologically, politically, and socially conservative than the WR staff

World Relief2018-12-28

"I would work for this company again in a heartbeat!"

Former Employee - Donation Coordinator in Stone Mountain, GA

I worked at World Relief full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you enjoy a fast-paced environment then this is the job for you; very flexible on hours worked and you have the ability to flex your time on your own; everyone is very pleasant and fun to work with; extended break from work during the winter holiday season

Cons

The work can seem overwhelming; overtime is not available, which encourages time flexing

World Relief2018-12-19
  7. "The Ship Is Sinking - Don't Work Here"

Current Employee - Officer in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at World Relief full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Worthy cause; inspiring mission. Some of the teams at the company are great to work with. I love my team and working with donors who are also great.

Cons

The organization doesn't treat their people well and everyone knows it. The problem is a dysfunctional culture and poor leadership. Most executives don't even work here in Baltimore which negatively impacts our failing culture. There's nothing and no one to bind us together. There's very little offered to employees here. No coffee or tea is provided unless you are the CEO - then it's always provided. I was even told I...

Advice to Management

Stop hiring when you can't sustain people's jobs - I'm tired of loosing friends; clean house in leadership; find leaders who want to actually be in Baltimore 5 days a week with the organization.

World Relief2019-01-03
  8. "Good overall"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at World Relief for less than a year

Pros

Great team Awesome mission and vision

Cons

I was only a part-time intern so I had too little exposure for a comprehensive review.

World Relief2018-11-07

"Great staff and amazing clients, poor training and little to no career advancement"

Current Employee - Office Staff

I have been working at World Relief full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with amazing staff to serve, assist and give people from all around the world the opportunity to have a better life. Freedom to work independently and good work/life balance. Great job right out of college.

Cons

Poor training and little pay. Decent programmatic opportunities within each office, but very little long-term career opportunities or advancement.

Advice to Management

A purposeful organization that allows you the opportunity to change the world in your city with little pay and no true genuine goal of staff advancement or staff development. World Relief gives raises, but the starting wages are nowhere near other jobs, even other non-profits and human service based jobs. Too much of a divide and little understanding between staff providing services and management as well as home...

World Relief2018-09-03
  10. "Great Cause, Great People"

Current Employee - Director
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at World Relief full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful people to work with, wonderful cause. Work is never boring because it's fast-paced. I see some improvement in the organization and the strategy year over year, but it's slow.

Cons

The work involves putting out a lot of fires--both administratively and with needy clients--so it is stressful on a regular basis. Communications within the organization are also weak, with people across so many locations domestically and internationally there isn't enough being done to keep everyone in the organization informed of what's going on outside their own office. People stick around because you can't beat the...

Advice to Management

Invest in your people by giving opportunities for training and development so people can make a long-term career there without getting burned out. Also put some time into developing internal communications systems.

World Relief2018-08-15