XLN "customer service" Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

XLN Employee Reviews about "customer service"

Updated Sep 16, 2019

3.7
XLN CEO Neil Conaghan
Neil Conaghan
Pros
  • "People, location, free breakfast on Friday(in 21 reviews)

• "As a department manager now myself, I know for a fact that through hard work and a good attitude you can get places in this company(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you want to keep your job then jump through hoops and avoid eye contact with senior members of staff(in 9 reviews)

• "Not focused on customer service(in 6 reviews)

Reviews about "customer service"

Return to all Reviews

"Do not lose your time - just avoid the company"

Former Employee - BDE in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at XLN full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you work until you black out on the field or you lie well, you get paid a commission.

Cons

16-17 hrs work day Aggressive Environment What is promised in the beginning never happens Poor training Treating people like numbers Encourage you to lie to customers No communication Not good basic salary No help Focused only on the daily targets Not focused on customer service 0% staff retention - 10 new people come every week, after 1-2 months everyone is gone

Advice to Management

Most of the management should be changed

XLN2018-11-25

XLN Response

November 27, 2018HR

Hi there, Thank you for your review. I will hold my hands up – this isn’t an easy job. We explain that during recruitment too. It’s sales-hungry and super competitive. People who succeed make great money and end up in senior roles throughout the company. People who don’t do sometimes leave quite quickly. That isn’t just an XLN thing, it’s the same in sales teams at most companies. You’ll see this again and again throughout your career. We certainly don’t encourage you to lie, and our basic salary is actually better than most companies’ equivalent. And while I don’t agree with your points, I respect your opinion. We are building a very successful field sales team that’s growing year on year, but it’s sales. Sales is tough, turnover is higher than in other professions. But as with every single review I read, I will consider your feedback and work to correct anything that I recognise to be reflective of a wider problem in our teams. And for that reason, I really do appreciate your feedback. All the best for the future, Steve Pun - Head of Field Sales

"Avoid, Avoid, Avoid."

Former Employee - Broadband Specialist in Sheffield, England

I worked at XLN full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very easy to get the job.. for the wrong reasons

Cons

As stated in many other reviews, the company is basically a talktalk re-seller, this means you are essentially employed as a middle man to go between end user and talktalks terrible customer service team. technical skills are rarely required as their is nothing in depth technical in XLN's control, As a technical support advisor you are basically logging a fault to pass to talk talk then fobbing the customers off... until talktalk decide to fix the issue, you are also expected to sell.. yes SELL! you will be given targets for sales and disciplined when they are not met, so even tho you are more then likely speaking to a customer because the service isn't working correctly you are expected to get them to spend more money and be tied to a company that is failing them for a longer term.. absolute joke!. Management is poor at best, most of the team leaders are young and clueless, they boast about promoting within but it is rarely based on merit and is more a case that if your face fits your on the ladder which leaves most of the hard working and skilled staff demoralised and looking to leave within a few months this creates quite a high staff turnover for such a small company. As for senior management they seem interested in nothing other then figures and keeping up public image, i have witnessed them openly verbally abuse members of staff on site with both personal insults and foul language. i found the atmosphere intimidating where no one dares speak out for the fear of being dismissed, very much a case of keep your head down or be shown the door. i would ignore 90% of the generic reviews as you will spot they are all written in the same corporate spiel by either the company themselves or staff are prompted to place them. Honestly look elsewhere if you are looking to be appreciated and have a good sense of job satisfaction, i think almost anyone deserves better then what this company can offer.

Advice to Management

Do not offer to speak to me about the issue or my previous employment because as proved the advise is not taken on board which can clearly be seen over the timeline of reviews on here. Stop focusing on numbers and look to improve

XLN2018-05-27

XLN Response

June 4, 2018Copywriter

Thanks for your feedback. We’re very sorry to hear your comments about your time at XLN. We take these kinds of issues extremely seriously, and are always looking for ways to improve. If possible, we would like to discuss these matters with you personally. Note also that our customer service teams – independently rated as some of the best in the UK - are entirely separate from those of TalkTalk. Please feel free to give me a call on 020 7963 9701 and we can chat, completely confidentially. Best wishes, Ameena

"Shambolic"

Account Management in London, England

I worked at XLN

Pros

Free breakfast on Friday mornings - e.g. bacon/sausage/egg roll - most weeks these are edible Break room with ps4, two large televisions, fussball and pool tables They also SOMETIMES pay you - which is always a bonus when you are employed You will develop a keen interest in employment law It makes any other job look appealing These 'Pros' will seem awfully trivial in comparison with the infinite negatives but... I would like to stress that this is all factual and purely for informative purposes.

Cons

The Company, Despite their affirmations to the contrary, XLN do not care whatsoever about their customer base and loosely adhere to the conditions set out by the regulator. Contracts and invoices are ambiguous and often illegitimate, with their intention to acquire as much money as possible from the customer without their prior knowledge. Whilst, I will not use this platform to outline instances in which XLN have... broken protocol set out by OfCOM (primarily as there are too many to count), you will be expected to defend these to the customer, despite how ethically ambiguous they may be. Imagine making a sale for a new 2 year contract and then later that month phoning back the customer to advise the price has gone up 50% and there is nothing they can do about it...this genuinely happens. Environment Staff are packed in like battery chickens, with two people per desk. This was seen as a temporary measure but has been the case for over a year despite numerous complaints. This is compounded by the fact that for some reason the company has never been able to control the temperature on their floor, which sees daily highs of 30 degrees plus. Systems are unreliable and outdated. Training and Development, Training is minimal if done at all. My department recently had new starters who were provided with zero training and this is not uncommon. If you are joining during a large recruitment drive then you may be given a general induction but if not, expect to thrust into the job with little prior knowledge of what it will entail or how should work within it. XLN do not assess the quality of work in a fair or accurate way, as this would make it more difficult to dismiss you at a later stage, making any comment on personal development rather difficult. As there is high staff turnover, positions elsewhere do arise regularly but do not expect your suitability to be assessed based on your work output. This can be particularly damaging to your personal growth as XLN will persistently enforce the idea upon you that no matter how bad it may seem, you cannot do better. XLN did promise to introduce accredited courses you could take to increase your skillset, however this was no more than the offer of entry level BTECH qualification in Customer Service. This naturally came with the condition that if you left the business during this course, you would then be responsible for paying the entire fee and this was not open to those who had already held a higher education qualification. Management Most managers are hilariously out of their depth as recruitment for these positions is not based on merit. As the Directors are far removed from how the business actually works, how the services are received by customers, and are more interested in reducing the pay-out of commissions; the policies they administer are unrealistic, short-sighted and at times nonsensical. This assertion has legitimised managers giving irrelevant and/or monotonous tasks, delivered in an extremely pedantic and inefficient way to 'fill the time.' Should these be challenged, you will be dismissed. Should you provide an alternative solution, you will be dismissed. Should you query these for clarity, then you will be lied to and then disciplined should you query it further. As you can imagine, for a business as unrepentantly haphazard as XLN, service issues arise regularly. Managers are rightly held accountable for department failings but this will be against the initial unreasonable objectives. As such, instead of examining the areas of concern and providing suitable improvements, managers will look to deflect blame on their staff members and will consistently misrepresent the truth to cover their own back. As the company is not concerned with facts, managers will genuinely fabricate anything they wish to in order to ensure you are disciplined for their errors to ensure their credibility is not compromised, even when provided with tangible evidence to prove otherwise. Members of staff have been and continue to be dismissed for falsifications. Micro management is used as a means to detract away from company and managerial deficiencies and place these on an isolated member of staff despite how tenuous this may be. HR Whether it be with customers or staff, XLN like to make their policies up as they go along. There is a common view that this is done with the assumption that you do not know your rights and they will try to exploit this. Whilst this is true to an extent, the reality is that they are so incompetent and careless that they simply do not understand procedure particularly with regards to employee rights. The policies are not worth the paper they are written on and in some instances you may even be reprimanded for following them. Word of advice - DO NOT raise a grievance. HR are purely there to execute the agenda of management regardless of justification. As naturally a grievance reflects poorly on management, instead of addressing the issue, they will attempt to remove you from the business to shut you up.

Advice to Management

Be honest with yourselves and staff and actually listen to your employees. Directors genuinely live in a dream world and continuously tell their staff just how profitable the business is and continues to grow - however staff pay has decreased, customer complaints have increased and are asking to leave XLN at an alarming rate. I would say recruitment and training certainly need revision. Understandably very few... people apply to work with XLN, but better screening of candidates and subsequent training is definitely needed. It simply doesn't make sense to put untrained staff in positions where the customer base are small business owners and to pass the workload of rectifying the situation to others - it creates an awful impression to the customer, doubles the workload and generates distain within the business to other staff. Managers should also take more ownership when things go wrong and Directors should also acknowledge the limitations they force their staff to work within. The majority of the above, management are firmly aware of and understand how the staff and customers view them and the business. They simply do not care enough about it to make and view advice or critiscim, constructive or otherwise, as a direct threat to their authority and as such would never acknowledge the above. Despite many reviews echoing the above, if a Director was to see this (which I doubt) it would simply be dismissed or excused as being the result of a bitter ex-employee. On the contary, despite XLN continously trying to advocate the idea that the "Grass isn't always greener" - it invariably is when XLN are concerned. Most staff who have been mistreated have wound up incomparably better off almost immediately, despite XLN's strife to ensure future prospects are diminished regardless of your contribution to the business. Honestly, with all due respect to refuse management assistants, you are better off working as a garbage man, as you will be paid considerably more, have a much less stressful job and increased future prospects. You should remember that your employees and customers are real people. Whenever you arbitrarily decide that you want to reduce commission or change processes to withhold commission from staff, just remember that these people have families and bills to pay and are already being paid next to nothing. The amount of misery compounded on staff is horrific considering how hard many of these guys work and especially taking into account how poorly run the office is. Furthermore everyone has their own ambitions and career goals and whilst no employer likes to see their staff unhappy or wanting to leave, it is deplorable that you as a company feel it is appropriate to potentially ruin future prospects over your own pride and bitterness. The bullying and victimising tactics used on staff when managers are under pressure simply has to stop.

XLN2016-08-24

"My experience"

Inbound Sales Advisor in London, England

I worked at XLN for less than a year

Pros

Good salary, ability to earn some good commission. Hard work but it can pay off. Some really nice people and customers are nice too. Good team events and rewards for hard work. Excellent pool table and games room.

Cons

It's a bit disorganised and I wanted something more customer service focused.

Advice to Management

More events like above and beyond as everyone enjoyed it.

XLN2016-03-01

"Horrible"

Customer Service Representative in London, England

I worked at XLN

Pros

Better than being on benefits - just about.

Cons

No job security. Recent changes saw mass redundancies by turning the role of the customer service advisor into one of "account manager," which is basically a sales role with an element of customer service. The company used pseudo-scientific psychometric testing (we had to pick some words from a list on a page and these supposedly revealed the inner workings of our minds) which produced a graph to show our... suitability, or lack thereof, for the new role. This was just a tool, a pretext, to facilitate a total change in the company culture, to weed out the people they wanted to get rid of and cherry-pick those they wanted to keep. XLN used to have some lovely people working there. That was what made me take the job. Unfortunately the management got rid of just about everyone who was decent, and replaced them with aggressive, sales-driven stuffed shirts. Luckily all of us who left have found something new, something better and are best advised to remember the XLN of old. The CEO is an arrogant individual who is not trustworthy. He stood up at a meeting in a big London hotel and said: "We are not making people redundant," when he planned all the redundancies. The customers are horrible, aggressive and argumentative.

Advice to Management

Your "account management" and its creator are utter garbage.

XLN2015-04-25