YO! Sushi Reviews

Updated 24 Apr 2020

3.7
YO! Sushi Chief Executive Richard Hodgson (no image)
Richard Hodgson
Pros
  • "Free food on shift (5 free plates) plus 50% off for you and friends(in 28 reviews)

• "and 30 mins paid break and on long shifts management won't mind you taking another break or more food (usually)(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "The rota was not designed well to suit the needs of the business(in 14 reviews)

• "Very intense at Head Office- not the place for anyone wanting a quiet life(in 9 reviews)

1. "Good place to be."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Cardiff, Wales

I worked at YO! Sushi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company has changed tremendously over the past decade and surely for the better. Really loved the amount of training they provide for the new starters as well as existing staff. Great support from HR as well as other branches, you will never feel left alone in case of struggle.

Cons

Wages are not too competitive considering it is super fast paced and can get very stressful.

YO! Sushi2020-03-27
  2. "Never again"

2.0
    Current Employee - Kitchen in London, England

I have been working at YO! Sushi full-time

Pros

They use to pay every week which is a massive plus!

Cons

There’s little to no managaement control, health and safety are not at all complied with here.

YO! Sushi2020-04-24
  3. "Ups and downs. Depends greatly on branch and management."

Former Employee - Team Leader in Sheffield, England

I worked at YO! Sushi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Inevitable bond with the people you work alongside. - The food. The sushi, sashimi, karaage, katsu, squid. Huge variety, and it tastes amazing when done right. - Up to 5 plates during your paid 30min break if working at least a 6h30min shift. That's policy. - If your manager is understanding, they will work with you and your availability to squeeze in enough hours so you don't get a payslip that only has £50 in it. - Speaking of payslips, the pay is weekly. With a week in arrears, but nevertheless. - Quite extensive training when you start, that you do in fact get paid for. From what I remember you can complete the online part of the training within 2-4 hours and get paid for 6 hours as standard. - Hygiene and food quality/control levels were very high at the branch I worked. We used to commonly have a 15-min timer ring all day to remind us to wash our hands. Utensils, pans, knives, equipment were thoroughly washed multiple times a day.

Cons

- Management issues. disagreements, needless micro-managing of well-performing staff. Whether or not the manager was wrong, it was often a childish argument like the one you surely had with your parent when you were young where they were incapable of losing an argument and inevitably replied with "because I said so" to make themselves feel better. - Pretty disgusting case of not paying staff all the hours they have worked. There is a company-wide culture among managers to cut costs to maximise overall profits for the company, so often staff who are working until say 10:30pm will be clocked out at 10:00pm (without them knowing!) thus effectively cutting their day's wage by just over £4 (minimum wage considering.) This may seem insignificant, however sum this up alongside 5 more shifts that week/20 more that month and that 30min = £4 quickly becomes £80 at the end of the month, £960 after a year of this. Better believe Tesco when they say "every little helps." - On a similar note, the rota is changed almost daily to suit managers' own availabiity more than that of their workers who formally submit their availability often weeks in advance. You would see you are off on Friday evening and have work in the afternoon on Saturday, so you would make plans only for them to be foiled as you suddenly have a 10-hour shift scheduled that Friday without any prior warning. - You are required to work a 6h30min shift to receive a 30-min paid break with free food. Sneakily, some shifts are precisely 6h. Therefore, you do not qualify. This can happen multiple times a week and is quite disheartening, but subject to manager discretion. - With regard to career opportunities: without moving to another city or to another branch, promotion is very limited and only occurs when a new position opens up as somebody steps up, down or is fired. In essence, if each of the management positions are filled, you could remain a team member for many long years. - I could think of more, but I don't need to drag the company name through the dirt to get my point across.

Continue reading
    YO! Sushi2020-03-27
  4. "11"

Current Employee - Intern in London, England

I have been working at YO! Sushi full-time

Pros

good bad yes no how how

Cons

bag show skills experience expertise

YO! Sushi2020-03-02
  5. "Don't do it to yourslef"

2.0
    Former Employee - Kiosk Staff in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at YO! Sushi full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Learnt new skills within the workplace

Cons

- Discount never worked in restaurant - Awful politics in the brand - Constant shifting of managers - Far too much expected from staff, 9 hours without breaks. - Excessive pressure for minimum wage

Continue reading
    YO! Sushi2020-03-16
  6. "Nice work atmosphere"

Former Employee - Team Member in Canterbury, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at YO! Sushi part-time for less than a year

Pros

varied work throughout the day

Cons

can get very busy and stressful at time

YO! Sushi2020-02-24
  7. "Good place"

Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at YO! Sushi full-time

Pros

Chance to develop, good support

Cons

Nor a lot of money

YO! Sushi2020-02-09
  8. "Good job"

Current Employee - Front of House

I have been working at YO! Sushi part-time for less than a year

Pros

Paid breaks Food provided on breaks Flexible with holidays

Cons

Doing more hours than contracted

YO! Sushi2019-12-16
  9. "Good discount, food and staff"

Current Employee - Front of House in London, England

I have been working at YO! Sushi part-time for more than a year

Pros

50% staff discount Good food on break

Cons

Can be asked to work over time a lot.

YO! Sushi2019-11-28
  10. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - General Manager in Southampton, England

I have been working at YO! Sushi full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Well paid, good benefits and flexible hours

Cons

Long shifts, sometimes quite stressful

YO! Sushi2019-11-13