Yell Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 17 August 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good transport links to office; advocates for work/life balance" (in 22 reviews)

• "quality service well managed and great people to work with" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Daily Expectations of you are increased every day so if you want a work life balance I would steer clear" (in 10 reviews)

• "You work long hours, the market constantly changes and you are expected to keep apace with market changes" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Great"

Current Employee - National Account Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - National Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Money perks team spirit

Cons

Pressure products don’t always work

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

It is great to hear that you are enjoying your role, and the feedback you have provided is very much appreciated.

We wish you a long and... More

"Positive changes"

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Yell, particularly at the Scarborough site are what make it an enjoyable place to work. The senior management team here make a real effort to recognise, motivate and inject enthusiasm running regular reward incentives and organising events.

Scarborough has gone through some big changes this year which has brought challenges, but with the leadership of our head of department we are now in a great position to really positively impact our customers.

Cons

A lot of the changes this year have happened very quickly, with some individuals having to adapt to new roles in a short space of time, which has brought its challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep up the motivation and recognition and ensure communication stays consistent throughout the site.

15 Aug 2018 – Head of Talent

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Reviews help us to continue to develop the business we all work for.

It is great to hear that you are enjoying your time with us and enjoy the... More

3. "Unexpected dream job"

Current Employee - Digital Specialist in Scarborough, England
    Current Employee - Digital Specialist in Scarborough, England

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It has been an unexpected miracle in disguise. After coming from a high end position within the council and having had a negative experience whilst working there, it has been eye opening to finally find a place that enables me to have a work and life balance.
    They have been beyond accepting of difficult situations outside of work and have helped me redevelop my confidence in myself and my abilities.
    Reward and recognition is beyond anything I have seen before and it really integrates both focus on reward for the workers and the company equally.
    There is generally a relaxed atmosphere for a call centre and a good sense of familiarity within each and every team.

Cons

Throughout the changes at Yell it has been at some points a difficult transition for some staff members - it is always important when working for large companies to keep a positive mindset where applicable. I have found management accepting of frustrations when they are valid and have constructive feedback to enable us to move forward as a company.
    Some aspects of our technology can be slow at times - this can become a frustration when we want to work faster and do a better job.

Advice to Management

Some targets can be hard to achieve at certain times of the year - could this perhaps be revised?

15 Aug 2018 – Head of Talent

Thank you for leaving us a review.

It is really great to hear that you are enjoying your time with us and have had a positive experience, both personally and professionally.

Thank you for... More

4. "Telesales"

I have been working at Yell full-time

Pros

Good hours
    Good pay
    Great work life balance
    Good benefits
    High commission rates

Cons

Tough
    Rubbish management
    Very competitive market
    Difficult interview
    No sexiness

Advice to Management

Speak to people as humans

5. "Scarborough Is On The Up"

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Recent changes have lead to an industry leading customer experience.
    - Senior site leaders are approachable, honest and are very much “for the people.”
    - Development is there for those that want it and are willing to put themselves out there and get noticed.
    - Support from the majority of Team Leaders is at a good level; this could be improved if time was managed better.
    - Very good salary for the area
    - Training is very good, although there has been a lot of change and new things to learn lately; the pace of change should now slow for an embedding period.
    - The people who work in the office are fantastic, it’s easy to get on with everyone
    - The employment package as a whole is competitive for the area and has some great benefits and bonuses.
    - Recently appointed CCMs have made positive changes and are committed to ensuring that the office becomes a centre of excellence for customer experience.
    - Some very knowledgable people work here and it’s always easy to get input and support from them.
    - Senior Site Leaders are committed to making sure their people shine.

Cons

- Pace of change has been very quick, too quick in my opinion. This has been driven by the SLT - not site leaders - and it’s important to remember that.
    - Because of the pace of change and because of Organisation changes within the SLT the office morale is below par at the moment. The site leaders are doing everything they can to amend this and bring positivity back to the site.
    - SLT are very blinkered to the goings-on and low morale at the office; this needs to change and more SLT need to visit the site and speak to the people and not just managers and site leaders.

Advice to Management

Senior Site Leaders: Continue how you are. Continue to support YOUR people and have the open door policy that you have. Continue the push to show that this site IS THE centre of excellence for customer experience. Push back to SLT on things that your people are telling you don’t work or won’t work - we do the job day in, day out and know what works best for our customers.

SLT: Take more notice of the front line agents, listen to them. As above, we are the ones talking to our customers and working the job. We don’t need spreadsheets to tell us “what good looks like.” Visit this site more and actually talk to front line agents and take onboard their points around how things can be improved, both internally and for the customer.

Finally and this one is huge: Targets need to be looked at. I’m not suggesting they are too high or too low, but the actual KPIs themselves. I do not know of a Contact Centre that has a “productivity” target. The role isn’t a “production” role anymore and the targets should reflect this. Productivity is not a true reflection of the work an agent puts in on a day to day basis. Utilisation would be much better as a KPI and would give a better indication of productivity. You, the SLT, have said time and time again that being on the phone categorically improves productivity- put your money where your mouth is, believe in what you’re telling us and make contact centre related KPIs.

"Overall a good place to work"

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Supportive managers
    - Progression
    - Good incentives
    - Good bonus scheme
    - People higher up I.e. Head of Onboarding are very approachable and supportive
    - Accommodate to my personal needs with working hours

Cons

- Constant change
    - Targets are very challenging and can be stretching for a lot of people but the pay reflects this

Advice to Management

I feel like this change a lot at Yell and instead of just doing them straight away we should think them through more before embedding them.

Senior management are very supportive, I could go to them with anything and they would always try their best to resolve it.

I understand the business needs change and we have to make changes but I think letting people get use to their targets before upping them would be a good start, so people feel confident.

"Overall, a good place to work"

Current Employee - DCSE in Scarborough, England

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Hours can be accommodating for family/childcare needs.
    - Good incentives
    - Good bonus scheme
    - Senior management are approachable and passionate about what they do

Whilst the pace of change can be challenging, changes have been made in order to make this easier for us all. Recently, a wage increase has been implemented which now makes it a very competitive wage for the area.
    In my opinion, the Head of Onboarding and Call Centre Managers are very approachable, supportive and do do their absolute best to make this a good place to work. It can be easy to forget that they have also had to adapt to the rapid change, but if you have a problem, 9 times out of 10 a member of senior management will address and discuss the issue with you the same day. Senior management aren't afraid to muck in if team managers aren't available.

Cons

- Pace of change has been difficult to adapt to, but is improving
    - Progression can be difficult
    - Targets are high, can seem un-achievable for some

Advice to Management

Management are aware of the issues that the site is facing and are trying to find a way forward. The rate of change needs to slow down, give time for targets etc to embed and people to get used to them before increasing them again. In terms of monitoring of progress, the implementation of frameworks needs to be fully thought out before embedding something that isn't quite fit for purpose. Perhaps waiting a little longer, and getting it right first time would be less stressful and sit more positively with members of staff.

The whole site has gone through a huge change over the last 8 months and both staff and management alike need to be commended for the way in which they have dealt with it. A turbulent few months, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

8. "Digital Account Manager"

Current Employee - Digital Account Manager in Huddersfield, England
    Current Employee - Digital Account Manager in Huddersfield, England

I have been working at Yell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Efficiencies
    2. Everyday is different
    3. Potential to earn great salary
    4. Great team environment - Very motivating
    5 Being an integral part of the largest digital agency in the UK!

Cons

Work and private life balance

31 Jul 2018 – Head of Talent

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

It is great to hear that you enjoy your role and the environment you work in!

We would always encourage our colleagues to speak to their... More

9. "Finance analyst"

Pros

relatively small team, complexity of work at various levels

Cons

changing environment with uncertainties, and less communication from management on it

8 Aug 2018 – Head of Talent

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Its great to hear you enjoyed the close working environment and variety from your role!

I'll be sure to pass your comments onto further... More

10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

I have been working at Yell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone has been fantastically helpful and accommodating, respect a work life balance and there is a communal feeling within the company

Cons

None at all as of yet!

23 Jul 2018 – Head of Talent

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

It is great to find that you are enjoying your time at Yell and are finding your colleagues helpful.

I wish you a long and happy career... More