Yell Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated 22 June 2018

Full-timePart-time

4.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good transport links to office; advocates for work/life balance" (in 22 reviews)

• "quality service well managed and great people to work with" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Daily Expectations of you are increased every day so if you want a work life balance I would steer clear" (in 10 reviews)

• "You work long hours, the market constantly changes and you are expected to keep apace with market changes" (in 16 reviews)

1. "Great training and plenty of time given for learning"

I have been working at Yell full-time

Pros

quality service well managed and great people to work with

Cons

none yet, i am sure they may be some soon.

"Nothing to Yell about"

Former Employee - DCSE in Scarborough, England
    Former Employee - DCSE in Scarborough, England

I worked at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free tea!! Good work colleagues!!

Cons

No one has a clue whats going on. Always things changing.

3. "Lovely people, pace of change too quick"

Former Employee - Digital Customer Services Executive in Scarborough, England
    Former Employee - Digital Customer Services Executive in Scarborough, England

I worked at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Can be flexible with hours
    Recent pay review means that salary is very good

Cons

Rate of change is far too quick
    Rationale behind big decisions isn't communicated effectively
    Company values quantity over quality
    Company is reactive rather than pro-active
    Bonus scheme seems to be unobtainable

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees' concerns; they may know more than you! You also need to value those people who have a lot of experience and knowledge in digital marketing, in particular SEO. The website product does not perform well because the copy is written by an offshore team who, despite their best efforts, cannot write engaging, original or well-optimised content, and because despite the copy lead's push for change, SEO practices are years out of date.

Quality needs to be prioritised, and those who work on the onshore quality assurance team should be valued a lot more than they currently are. Without them, there would be far more customer complaints relating to quality as some of the copy on the websites that is seen before it is edited, is shocking and could genuinely cause real issue's for Yell's reputation.

In order to be a leader in digital marketing, Yell needs to do things better than any competitor. That doesn't just mean the number of sites you can get through in a week or a reduction in the time taken from sale to live, but it's also about the quality and performance of the product. In order to boost quality and performance, I think a real review of where content is written is needed, and the experience and knowledge of the copy lead and the QA team should be listened to.

4. "Varied and interesting work with good opportunities for progression"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scarborough, England

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been given many opportunities to develop my skills and progress with Yell.
    Varied day-to-day work and good rates of pay for the local area.
    Exciting future vision for the site.
    Fast-paced working environment.
    Approachable senior management are receptive to ideas and suggestions.

Cons

"Flexible" working hours can have an impact on work/life balance.
    Communication from above is sometimes lacking.
    The pace of change can be dizzying.

Advice to Management

Tighten up communication and keep people informed - especially where change is concerned.
    Address issues before they get posted on public forums.

5. "Digital Account Manager - Excited new starter"

Current Employee - Digital Account Manager in Exeter, England
    Current Employee - Digital Account Manager in Exeter, England

I have been working at Yell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unbelievable On-Boarding process. I've never seen anything like it. Before even starting I had an 8 week intensive training schedule, meticulously planned out.

The bonuses appear to come from every angle and whilst It's no walk in the park, they feel very generous and achievable.

Everyone I've met in the company so far from management to the trainers to other employees seem to have a great attitude and are always willing to help rather than a dog-eat-dog approach.

The Yell employee discount/rewards are unreal as well. Literally every shop/store/cinema etc you can think of is on there.

Cons

There is a different application or process for everything. It's a little overwhelming at first. I come from a technical background so I found I grasped the different applications quite comfortably but I can understand how it can be daunting for some new and current employees. The training however is second to none and they don't expect you to come out of the gate running. It's made very clear that you can't no everything after the training.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I'm so happy to have this opportunity to work for such a great, well established company. I'm excited for what the future holds for me here at Yell.

6. "Getting better"

I have been working at Yell full-time

Pros

Great people to work with. For a large office it is very friendly with not many cliques. The work is interesting and very varied though targets are tough and you have to work hard. The salary is great for this area. There have been some major issues in the best and the pace of change is rapid. Recently they have brought in 2 new people as ops managers and they are listening and working really hard to get the best for the staff and create a good atmosphere.

Cons

for things to change the people at the top need to listen and there has been little evidence of any sustained attempt to do that. Targets are really tough and movement is sideways for the majority of people. There’s little career progression so good people will inevitably move on

Advice to Management

There has been quite a few years of change a history of not listening to the concerns of staff in Scarborough. Please listen to the new people, give them the freedom to put right what is wrong. If you do I believe they can turn the place around. Create some kind of career structure that keeps
    good people at the company or your staff turnaround will continue to be high and you will keep having to spend mpmoney training new people.

7. "Great place to work despite recent reviews"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scarborough, England

I have been working at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think the current reviews are reflective of people who are unhappy with what are some positive changes

We are rally focusing on doing the right thing by our customers and working a little harder isn't a bad thing as makes the day go quicker.

Cons

We need to slow the pace of change

Advice to Management

Think about training programmes and support as we've learnt a lot in the past 4 months and just need to support more if possible.

8. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Digital Account Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Digital Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Yell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great support, opportunities & benefits

Cons

Alot to learn initially, lots of systems

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

9. "Lots of change with no support and lots of cliques"

Former Employee - Digital Specialist in Scarborough, England
    Former Employee - Digital Specialist in Scarborough, England

I worked at Yell full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent training programmes and there are some fantastic people that work in the company.

Cons

Poor salary, lack of support, unrealistic and unachievable targets

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees and take the right amount of time to roll out change across the business whilst giving the correct support. The business needed to change and the whole team was on-board with this, it was just handled poorly. The SMT's need to stop the bullying culture that goes on there also.

10. "Senior PPC Manager"

Current Employee - PPC Account Manager in Birmingham, England
    Current Employee - PPC Account Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Yell full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture of Yell is way above any I have worked in before.

Cons

I have no negatives to share.