Yell Reviews

Yell UK CEO  Claire Miles
Claire Miles
  1. "Decent Workplace"

Current Employee - Sales BDM in London, England, England

I have been working at Yell full-time

Pros

Provides good training and there is a great culture

Cons

The market is very competitive

April 29, 2021Head of Recruitment

Hello and thank you for your review. We are pleased you enjoyed our training programme, we are very proud of the Induction programme we provide and always ensure our Sales Consultants are set up to succeed. We wish you all the best in your continued career with us.

2. COVID-19

"Could have done better..."

I worked at Yell full-time

Pros

Working with some wonderful, selfless people day-to-day.

Cons

Management, especially the senior leadership team. An example of this was last year, a couple of months into lockdown and staff were asked to take a 25% reduction in pay and total hours to help mitigate the effects of the lockdown and ensure continued future success. Management didn't change project timelines and expected delivery as usual. Because of the amazing staff, teams often worked extra hours to ensure projects were delivered on time. The reward for that was the redundancy of 33% of the technology department..."Thanks for breaking your necks for us but we don't need you anymore!"

February 17, 2021Head of Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to hear your experience wasn't the best in the end. It was an extremely difficult period at the start of the pandemic for us and we were very sad to have to make these redundancies but had no other choice. We apologise if it made you feel this way and want to wish you success in whatever you do next.

3. "Great Company"

4.0
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in London, England, England

I worked at Yell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with a company that's pushing the envelope in the services it wants to deliver for customers.

Cons

Demanding not a great work/life balance

March 18, 2021Head of Recruitment

Thanks for leaving us a review, we appreciate your feedback. We are very proud of the work we do with our customers and will continue to put them at the heart of what we do. It is interesting you call our work/life balance as we are always very conscious of this and offer flexible working around hours, home schooling etc and early finishes on a Friday for our sales division. But we will take your point on board and see what else we can explore there.

"Do Your Research"

1.0
    Former Employee - BDM Manager in London, England, England

I worked at Yell full-time for more than a year

Pros

Basic Salary, Company Car, Training

Cons

Micro managed, unrealistic targets, script leading, products that are over sold and underdeliver- you only have to google why not buy with yell and the results speak for themselves.

"Square Peg Round Hole"

Former Employee - Welcome Team Member
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Yell full-time

Pros

Yell employees in the office I worked with were great, everyone got on, everyone had a laugh and banter with one another, the actual team atmospheres were great. There was a great bonus type system where you got vouchers, money off and cycle to work etc, they initially were amazing to their staff, attempting to have a relaxed, social & creative thinking environment

Cons

Simple question.. how do you take a creative industry and turn it into a demoralising, overworked, stressed environment. You turn it into a call centre. Yells major problem is that they apply the same structure to each of their products. Directory listing, website & ad campaigns.... call centre. It is a square peg in a round hole, it cannot work or sustain, especially when you are pushing the Welcome team to its limits by offloading other departments onto them with barely any wrap up time and a push on sales. They put way too much pressure on certain departments.

6. COVID-19

"Yell"

Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Yell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Competitive salary & benefits, selling market leading solutions

Cons

Current Pandemic is a challenge

March 18, 2021Head of Recruitment

Thank you for leaving us a review, we appreciate it. The pandemic has come with many challenges that we did not expect we agree with you there. It is great to see our employees continuing to work hard and be a success even in the uncertain times the country is facing at present.

7. "Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in London, England, England

I have been working at Yell full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leadership team very involved, always looking for ways to evolve the business. The changes that have been made in the last year make it feel almost like a different business. The time and care that goes into the journey for new team members is fantastic, from recruitment, through training and over the first year of someones career means new staff never feel alone. The support structures in place mean that moving up in the business is mapped out and easy to follow.

Cons

Sometimes working for a large organisation can make it harder to feel your important, but the regular communication from senior leadership helps.

November 20, 2020Head of Recruitment

Thank you for leaving us a review, it's brilliant to hear you have had a great experience with us. Employee communications is vital to us to ensure we are all working towards the same goals so we will continue to share regular business updates with our employees. We wish you further happiness and success and thank you once again.

8. "Earning potential"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Birmingham, England, England

I have been working at Yell full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Supportive, uncapped bonus , training

Cons

Can’t think of any cons

March 8, 2021Head of Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are really pleased you have had a positive experience with us and wish you continuous happiness and success in your career.

9. "Complete fall from grace"

1.0
    Former Employee - Digital Account Director

I worked at Yell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some great people around. Good flexibility dependant on who you are mates with. The training is exceptional . There are pockets of knowledge around the business that are truly exceptional. Some agency level clients are getting some brilliant returns which is great to see compared to where it used to be.

Cons

The money used to be great, but they’ve leveraged it to ensure you do the same target but don’t get paid as much as previously . Amazed more people haven’t caught on to this. It’s a clique business, it’s not how good you are or how much talent you have it’s about who your mates with, there are people in management positions that should not be there due to them being friends with the bosses, this has caused a total lack of respect for senior leadership. The gossip mongering is the only world class thing about the organisation. Product wise I learnt a few months back that the offshore website teams spend 30 mins implementing SEO into the 5 thousand pound websites we sold which appalled me. The smart performance product is created off shore by an Italian agency called gotchu? They are shipped off shore because it’s cheaper than doing it themselves, yet Yell claims to be a digital marketing business. People’s businesses and livelihood rely on these products working. Literally been pulling the wool over customers eyes for years in order to make profit. The current senior management team led by Claire are possibly the worst I’ve seen in the history of the company, how they can performance manage people out of the business and avoid performance management themselves whilst overseeing one of the worst and most unhappiest periods of sales performance is beyond me. The morale at my time of leaving was at an all time low, but I guess the only way is up and I hope for my friends and colleagues still there that it’s gets better. The blatant bias shown to the telesales division is actually beyond staggering because they want this area to succeed as it’s more cost effective. The managers at middle level are inexcusably incompetent and also avoid performance management it seems despite consistent non achievement of their targets. There is a crusade to wipe out the field sales division and focus on driving performance through telesales as it saves costs to the business but ultimately burns the relationships with the customers they are trying to retain, sell more revenue to clients but don’t give them the support they need because it costs too much to do it. It’s a Pretty flawed business plan and they wonder why retaining customers are through the floor and social media is awash with negativity despite the spin. I would actively encourage anyone who wants to join the company to consider that in the summer 20’ last year nearly 80 people where made redundant for no other reason than to get rid of them, and right now they are recruiting for the same jobs. Rather than invest time into helping and coaching people who have invested years in the company it’s a business that would rather wipe you out and start again. Literally just a number on a spreadsheet with not a care in the world for their people. That’s Yell since Claire Miles has taken over. Really poor place to work in at present for anyone in the field sales role.

March 8, 2021Head of Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re sorry that you feel this way. We are proud of the products and services we provide and work with leading platform providers in order to keep improving the value we provide to our customers. Although we had to make some difficult choices to reduce the size of our team in response to the impact of Covid-19, our Field Sales channel is a core part of our strategy and we remain fully committed to seeing this channel reach its full potential. As Claire Miles, our CEO, says “in the face of unprecedented challenges, we have managed to stabilise the business and we have an exciting market opportunity ahead. It is encouraging that we are now able to expand our sales teams to make the most of this!” At Yell we are also committed to supporting the development of all our people so it is great to hear that you think our training is exceptional! In Field Sales, we are introducing the opportunity to undertake DMI qualifications as well as creating a new Business Development Director role to establish a career path for our BDMs to progress through to becoming Digital Account Directors - our most successful and sought after role. We would like to thank you for your many years of loyal service and wish you the very best in your future career.

"hell"

2.0
    Current Employee - Customer Relationship Manager
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Yell full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

pay is okay, work/life balance okay

Cons

micromanegement to the net level, managers throwing other managers under the buss, don't care abut their employees, paid peanuts for doing a lot, vieo training sessions and expecting people to become experts overnight after watching 2-3 videos

Viewing 21 - 30 of 632 Reviews