Yell Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 27 Feb 2020

3.8
Yell UK CEO  Claire Miles
Claire Miles
Pros
  • "This really helps with my work life balance(in 33 reviews)

• "fantastic working hours that allows me to balance my work and family life perfectly(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can be long hours but what job isn't when you want to do it right and build a successful career(in 21 reviews)

• "There are no cons I can see with yell(in 16 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great people, benefits and flexible"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England

I have been working at Yell full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am trusted by my Manager to work flexibly, which for me often means working from home when I need to at little notice. This really helps with my work life balance! The business has been through a lot of change and we are starting to feel like a brand new company, and the buzz of excitement is contagious. We have a refreshed Senior Leadership Team and we are all excited for the future of the business. I work with some great people and the discount hub is great - I often get cheap cinema tickets and discount retail vouchers, which are nice.

Cons

In the Reading office we don't have parking which is a shame, but the train station is so close that it doesn't really matter!

March 6, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are pleased to learn that you feel trusted and have the ability to work flexibly, which suits you. We are aware that not all of our roles are able to have the same level as flexibility, but as a Company we are starting to move into this space and have recently introduced compressed hours and split shifts, as well as homeworking, to a team - which is great for them, and our customers!

2. "Excellent Interview"

Current Employee - Telesales Consultant in Newcastle, England

I have been working at Yell full-time for less than a year

Pros

Bonus/wage - work life balance

Cons

t ew pro cess bu t worth it for th e right people

February 25, 2020Senior HR Advisor

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We wish you a full and happy career with us!

"Great Place to work !!!"

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Yell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

ive been working for yell for 17 years and couldnt imagine working anywhere else Career Opportunities, ive been lucky enough to work from home for 10 years, which helped with by work life balance and family Great Uncapped Bonuses very rewarding !!! Great Recognition Events The yell People ( Family :-) )

Cons

Targets can be stretching if having a long holiday but other than that nothing!

February 14, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are glad to have you as a member of our team!

4. "Still Here 20 Years Later... Say No More"

Current Employee - Customer Relationship Manager in Birmingham, England

I have been working at Yell part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Work life balance Opportunities for promotion

Cons

The office environment needs improvement. Sometimes too cold, sometimes too hot and lifts have been poor but are improving

February 18, 2020Telesales Director

Thank you for your review. It is important that people do have a work life balance so it's great to see if referenced in your review.

5. "Good commision"

5.0

I have been working at Yell full-time

Pros

Healthy work life balance at this company

Cons

Pay scheme changes every quarter

January 8, 2020Telesales Director

Work/life balance for our people is important to us as we want to provide flexibility in the workplace whether than is in one of our offices or at your home. It is great to hear that you are highlighting this as one of our pros.

6. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly

I worked at Yell

Pros

Good work life balance at Yell

Cons

Pay Is not as good as other firms

7. "A great place to start a sales career"

Current Employee - Digital Sales Executive in Belfast, Northern Ireland

I have been working at Yell full-time for more than a year

Pros

Extremely good training, ok salary. Work life balance

Cons

Yell has started to go in the wrong direction. Expanding too quickly and causing some serious issues around finance and unpaid bonus over the last 6 - 12 months

8. "New Starter Review"

Current Employee - Digital Expert in Scarborough, England

I have been working at Yell part-time for less than a year

Pros

Beyond organised, clear objectives & fantastic work life balance

Cons

More flexibility with part time hours

""Proud to work for Yell", certainly not"

1.0
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in London, England

I have been working at Yell full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay can be good if you finally manage to hit targets, only a very few managers actually do The business events we have such as recent one are really good, very motivational.

Cons

There is a real lack of trust with the most senior managers in Yell, they say all the right things, but you know they are thinking something else We lurch from one saviour idea to another when it doesn't work, with pay changing all the time. There is so much favouritism, if you are not in the "gang" then you don't get on. When senior manager visits our team or larger meetings, they spend most of their time on their phone I find some of the conversations intimidating of late, as performance just isn't anywhere near targets, that's the same for all of us. Work life balance is out the window currently

November 1, 2019Telesales Director

Thank you for your review. Please speak to some-one within Yell to discuss how you are feeling, either through your line manager or HR services so we can help to support, as we recognise that we have evolved in your operation and which has meant changes to the Premise role. We are still recruiting in Telesales, as well as Premise once again.

10. "Mixed review"

2.0
    Former Employee - DCSE in Scarborough, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Yell full-time for more than a year

Pros

It has been a career stepping stone for me. Some team managers are extremely good at their jobs but don't receive the recognition deserved. Incentives were good at the beginning of my time here. The bonus scheme allows for extra earnings, although this is only paid two months after the end of the quarter.

Cons

No career progression inside of the company. Lack of manager support with some team managers. The work is monotonous. New starters are asked to leave a review within their training period, this is therefore not a balanced or accurate review of the company or the job. After coming back from long term sick leave, there was no support in returning to my role. After handing in my notice there was a lack of communication as to the winding down period, messages to the team manager regarding this were ignored. The job description did not accurately describe the job I have been doing, it was completely mis-sold. It is essentially a high-pressure call center environment where targets are key. The job offers little flexibility, despite being told at the interview process that they strongly believe in a work/life balance. I have consistently been made to feel as though I am disposable, ultimately opinions of lower level employees don't matter.

September 30, 2019Telesales Director

We appreciate your feedback. We are aware there was a period of recruitment for Scarborough when we were evolving the Onboarding role. We are now confident that the work we have done with the recruitment team and agencies, the job description is aligned to the role and call centre environment. Reviews are requested at certain intervals or milestones of peoples careers at Yell and it is people's own choice as to whether they feel comfortable and ready at any time to leave a review on Glassdoor. We also have many other ways that people can share how they are feeling e.g. focus groups, employee engagement surveys, or just talk to us, as it is important that our People feel valued.

Found 47 reviews