Yelp Employee Reviews about "business owners"

Updated 21 May 2020

3.3
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
1,427 Ratings
Pros
  • "They offer a very good benefits program as well as free food and drink everyday(in 243 reviews)

• "Great Culture, Fun Environment, Great People(in 179 reviews)

Cons
  • "It can be challenging to change disgruntled business owners' perspective of the company, but it can be done(in 228 reviews)

• "Sales are drive through cold calls, you'll need to have a growth mindset(in 76 reviews)

Reviews about "business owners"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Tough gig selling a service when many dont know the brand"

Account Executive in London, England

I worked at Yelp

Pros

Great bunch of people including managment Great training and intro to telesales... if you make sales here you can probably make sales most places

Cons

Not many hitting targets Expect to make 80 calls a day to busy small business owners

Yelp2014-12-19
  2. "People Over Function"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Around many like-minded individuals. Some of my best friends have come from me working at Yelp! They do a great job hiring people of so many different backgrounds - Managers that I've worked with were great at communication. I've never felt like I couldn't tell my managers anything that was on my mind. - Opportunity to continuously learn since the mantra of "the only constant is change". I can easily say to other employers that I know how to successfully sell regardless of any product changes. - Liberal PTO policy. If you had PTO, you have every right to use it (and your manager shouldn't make you feel bad for using it). - No one talks about it, but the benefits are SO good. Probably because college grads don't think that health care coverage is super important (especially if they're on their parents' til 26).

Cons

- Over-glorified some sales reps because they were the top in booked revenue in a given month. No one talks about how many cancellations or chargebacks those reps got and it diminished the quality of the deals that some reps with integrity sold. - Promoted reps to managers poorly. I'm sorry, but promoting a 22 year old who sold record breaking sales in 6 consecutive months (which was also their tenure) is NOT a trait that proves success in a manager role. - You do have to sell a little bit of your soul to be successful in the sales role. There will be times that you hear a genuine "no" that disqualifies a business owner from buying ads, but some managers will disregard that and puppeteer you to say some aggressive things. - Upper upper management teaches lower management to put out the fires so they don't have to deal with it. I was lucky and was able to talk to my managers and directors openly, but if I had an idea to go beyond that, they wouldn't do anything to follow up.

Yelp2020-05-21

"Fun environment"

5.0
    Former Employee - Franchise Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Earning potential is unlimited based on your own drive.

Cons

Uphill battle having to constantly convince business owners that Yelp is not this corrupt monster of a company.

Yelp2020-04-28
  4. "Not Sustainable"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food, team outings and etc. Room for advancement as they promote a lot of top performers to management within their first year.

Cons

If you don't truly believe in the product you're selling (Yelp Ads), it's a tough job to get behind. Very aggressive selling strategy. You'll call business owners 3-5x a week, who have already been contacted over 100x by different reps. Some have advertised already in the past and lost money. Yelp does not care and will harass them until they sign up again. Go look under Yelp Facebook posts and you'll see the outrage from business owners everywhere. Yelp has ruined its relationship with the public.

Yelp2020-05-13
  5. "Great atmosphere"

4.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at Yelp is great, you learn how different businesses need to assert themselves online. Everyone, for the most part, is friendly and encouraging. Managers will always help you grow and take on new roles that interest you.

Cons

You cold call all day, speaking to business owners who get called 1000 times a day about different advertising options.

Yelp2020-04-16

"Interesting Year. Will Miss My Friends"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

You will meet a lot of interesting people. It's good experience for entry level sales. Get promoted fast. Sometimes too fast as people who have been there for less than a year get management. Hourly so you never have to work longer hours if not needed I met my bestest friends while working here and I will probably be friends with them till the day I die.

Cons

I worked at Yelp for a year and didn't mind the job itself. But the main issue with Yelp is management. Managers have no form of leadership training, just reps who are able to close are now just refreshing Salesforce all day to micro manage your metrics. If managers were picked on Leadership, it would be a different story. But they aren't. So you will more than likely get a manager who has no experience managing a team, and who doesn't have the slight idea on how to handle situations. They are just hired to refresh your metrics all day and that's it. If you want real sales training, you will have to teach yourself. I was most successful at Yelp when I stopped depending on my manager for guidance. And that's sad. You will be micromanaged every day. By your manager, and by your director. Expect to be underappreciated everyday, and to overproduce everyday. And the office is very cut throat. I was lucky enough to know how to use the Salesforce and found every report I needed to understand what was happening day to day. I was always able to see what management was doing in order to bump up numbers for their favorite reps. Whether it be switching out their regions every week, or sending all of your accounts out to top reps, or filtering your region so that you get no new leads. I've seen managers go into reps accounts that have closed on their own, and remove the account owner from getting any credit to then place a favorite rep on their team to get full compensation. And this job is all region. Region pools are not made equally. They can control which pool new leads go into. If you notice you're not getting any, management probably wants you out. For culture, you will meet a lot of people you like. You will hate a lot of people as well. You will be compared to every top rep and it gets old very fast. Once you learn to shut it out, you'll be more successful. And if you think selling with integrity will get you far, it won't. You'll notice a lot of customer reviews about the product you're selling on how they were overcharged, charged in general, or it didn't work. It's because reps and managers close deals with very misleading language that still fall into legal terms. So yes, representatives are usually scamming small business owners in order to get a deal on the board. If you look through Salesforce on all of the top reps accounts, you'll notice a lot of refund approvals, transcripts of what the rep said, and shady sales tactics. If you're on a performance plan, your manager is most likely trying to get rid of you. Time and time again I would see reps who were on performance plans get all of their accounts passed out to the team, or the manager will just call and close it for you. But since only revenue booked by you counts to save your job, those deals will not help you. And I just kept noticing over and over that managers and directors were purposely moving accounts out of reps who were struggling to other reps. I doubt Yelp will ever be the same after massive layoffs. They will probably never rehire to the same amount of reps in the future. And it will have a hard time recovering from this. No executives took a pay cut, nor were management hit as hard as the rest of the employees. Just shows how much management only cares about themselves and not the betterment of the staff. They let go of 2100 young adults to save their own interest. Sad part is I wasn't shocked. I expected it to happen a lot sooner. Yelp was worth 4 billion when I joined, and has dropped to 1.2 billion in one year. If you're looking for a quick job, apply when the pandemic is over. Looking for a serious sales role, look elsewhere.

Yelp2020-04-11
  7. "mediocre first job"

Former Employee - Associate Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

free breakfast/lunch, great benefits, aesthetically pleasing environment, great people and inclusive culture

Cons

mundane work load, many business owners (clients) have a preconceived hate towards yelp

Yelp2020-04-24

"Kelly Clarkson - "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)""

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

I apologize if my review is lengthy. I wanted to give as much detail about my experience as possible. Hopefully, my review helps someone. My review is only focused on what I experienced during my time with Yelp, things may have changed since. I was employed by Yelp in the Chicago office from the summer of 2018 to February 2019. I can confidently say it was one of the worst times of my life. My experiences at Yelp mirror a lot of what has already been noted by former and current employees. I, like so many, was grateful to get the call that I had gotten an offer. The thought of working for such a large, well-known tech company was exciting. However, there's a clear distinction, YOU don't work in tech, you work in sales. Welcome to your career. I did not study business or any related major that would lead me to a career in sales. I think most people who end up in sales don't grow up thinking, "I can't wait to cold-call people when I'm older." I had worked in another sales role at another company for about a month where the daily metrics/key performance indicators (KPIs) were 200+ cold-calls, 100+ emails, etc. So, learning that Yelp "only" required about 70 to 80 calls a day and 25 emails was a dream. THAT'S WHERE THEY GET YOU (But more on that later)! In the Chicago office, the BASE is $39,000 (before taxes). Why not $40,000? No one knows. To me, a single twenty-something with no kids, this was enough to afford my modest lifestyle. You will have access to a wellness benefit that can cover your gym membership. Use it. You also receive benefits from day one, which is cool, but not super rare for tech companies and startups. "Plus" there's the possibility of earning commission (But more on that later).

Cons

They typically start people on the second week of the month. So that summer, I along with over 90 other people started our career with Yelp. By the time I left the company, a third of my summer group remained. I didn't necessarily see the high number of new hires as a red flag. I figured maybe they wanted to just knock out training for such a large group at once. I came to realize there is such a high turnover with resignations and firings that it's necessary to hire in such high volume. Training is classroom style for two months. The first two months of employment are the most decent. The first week is solely classroom learning and by week two, you're on the phones and "ready" to go! What they don't tell you in the interview (I asked to be sure, given my prior experience at that other company) is about recycled leads. A recycled lead is a lead that has been contacted by prior reps. In some cases, leads have been getting called since 2013. You can imagine they are super excited to hear from Yelp, AGAIN! I understand that in sales, you will have recycled leads, that's a part of the industry. Maybe the prior salesperson didn't sell the product right and this is YOUR chance to say something different to change their mind. Sure, but no, not at Yelp. There is a script (not unlike most sales roles). That's pretty much all the sales language you get. If you come into the role with some experience, you will have a much better time on the phone. If you're pretty much new to sales, good luck. Yelp uses the same exact script for every single business. Calling a contractor? Nail salon? Psychic? Use the script. If you ask your manager (more on that) for valuable feedback or insight on how to approach a certain lead you are not going to get it. Yelp places new hires on teams of about ten. These teams are given a manager who is also in training. YOUR MANAGER IS BEING TRAINED ON HOW TO BE A MANAGER WHILE YOU ARE BEING TRAINED ON HOW TO BE A SALESPERSON. While the job itself is awful, this can truly make or break your experience. If your manager has had previous managing experience, they may actually be able to assist you on your calls. That's often not the case. Most managers are extremely young, which can be a good thing. These are the people that came straight out of undergrad to Yelp, worked as a rep for 1 1/2 to 2 years and then became a manager trainee. Also, it should be noted there is no real trajectory in this role. You work as a Sales Rep for about a year and if you do well you may become a rep for the Mid-Market or National team. Which just means a different volume of cold-calling. Or you could work a year and become a manager in training to manage other people who cold-call. If you survive all of that for years, you may get to be a director. Tough luck if you're a minority though (at least in the Chicago office). Diversity is kind of a problem and an eyesore. There is a "Wall of Fame" where reps who have closed/sold a certain number get their photo (poorly) photoshopped to a European monarch portrait. This is problematic in itself but the only person of color, a Black man, has the smallest photo on this wall. His face is photoshopped onto the iconic "Napoleon Crossing the Alps" and you can barely make out his tiny face in the painting. There are no directors of color and there are few managers of color as well. The overall aesthetic of the office is young, white recent graduates. The environment is very much like a fraternity/sorority house. It can be very cliquey but you will most likely make friends. The people that work alongside you are generally nice, management and leadership are the people to watch out for. You will bond with your friends over how terrible the job is. However, if you leave and they are still employed with Yelp, you will likely not remain friends. Being friends with someone still employed at Yelp is like looking at your friend claim to be “happy” in an abusive relationship. The environment is one of the worst parts of this role. If you have ever experienced any forms of anxiety or depression, you will definitely be triggered. If you are a recovering alcoholic, your sobriety will be challenged. This office has beer kegs (very much like other tech companies). There are "off-site" events that your manager can plan, which basically means go to a bar and drink. You're basically shamed if you don't want to go to these events. On my particular director group, there was an incentive called "Lunch Club." The first six reps to get to 25k in a month get to have Rosé with the director. This office encourages alcoholism as a coping mechanism for the high stress of the job. They blast music loudly, which doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Please be prepared to hear the same songs every day, sometimes more than one time in a day. I heard Clean Bandit & Zara Larsson's "Symphony" three times in one day. It's a mediocre song at best, imagine being stressed and getting yelled at by business owners, and having to hear "SYMPHONNNNYYYYYYYYYY," multiple times a day. They also played Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" daily, how fitting. I'm afraid you're wrong Ms. Clarkson, what doesn't kill you just slowly eats away at you. Reps are given a territory (some have geographic regions) which basically has two areas or cities. In my time there, I went from Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada) & rural Kansas, to Mt. Rushmore, South Dakota & rural Nebraska, to Garland, Texas & Suburban Chicago. These changes happened in six months. You can imagine how frustrating it is to constantly change territories, especially to go from a decent metropolitan area to a tourist attraction that has closed for the season. All reps are treated equal in regards to their assigned territory. It doesn't matter if you have New York City or San Francisco or rural Alabama. You are expected to meet the same KPIs and quota as everyone. Work starts at 8:30 am sharp. If you have a territory in a different time zone as you, oh well. You're still expected to start dialing, even if businesses are closed. I have never been so micro-managed in my life. You're expected to make 80 dials in a day, get 2 pitches (a pitch is when you run through the entire script with a business owner and show them pricing), and close one deal. If you get to lunch time with no pitches, expect your manager to sit down and look at every SINGLE dial you made. Yelp uses Salesforce which gives them multiple reports which allow them to track everything you do, which of course is necessary but it is overused. My manager would sit and say, "You called this restaurant at 10:00 am on Monday, and you called at 11:00 today, did you leave a voicemail? Are you sending an email with every call?" If you get a voicemail when you call a business, you are expected to leave a message and send an email. Imagine calling someone about 6 to 7 times in two weeks (the sales cycle) and leaving the same message and sending poorly constructed email templates. It's harassment. We are encouraged not to use the Do Not Call (DNC) feature in Salesforce. Even if a business owner says, “Please stop calling me! I am NOT interested,” because they didn’t explicitly say “please add me to you Do Not Call list,” you must continue to call and email them. The product doesn't work. Maybe it did a few years ago but the advertising landscape has changed. There are much cheaper and efficient options out there, e.g. Instagram Ads, Facebook Boost Post/Ads, Google Ads. So, trying to tell a hip young nail artist that her Instagram page with 20,000 followers is not as good as a Yelp page is pointless. I have had customers call and complain to me about the product not working. Luckily, I'm a decent human-being, I didn’t over promise like some of the more successful reps do. This role will really mess with your integrity. If you're calling into a rural area, you will feel like crap for forcing a platform on someone who doesn't need it, just to get a sale. Thankfully, there are no contracts, so people can cancel anytime. This will affect your commission should you ever get over that threshold. Reps are only eligible for commission after closing 30k. After that, each month they must reach at least 12k in order to start earning commission. So, you have to close 42k for Yelp before you receive your first commission check of about $120. Commission is paid out separately from your normal salary and also taxed. Most people don’t make it long enough to see commission. Those who do well will note that their commission checks will be affected as their customers cancel their plans. Yelp billed out commission for six months. The highest you could close a business on was a deal worth $540 a month. Yelp assumed they would advertise for six months. $540 X 6 = $3,240 or 3.24k. You would have to close about thirteen “full-comp” deals before you get your first commission check. Of course, there were cheaper plans that would allow for smaller amounts. But reps are really encouraged to push business owners towards spending fifteen dollars a day (or more) so they can get the full-sized deal. Most people stop advertising after realizing the product doesn’t work. It’s cost-per-click (CPC) and does not guarantee any customers. If a contractor has a $23.00 CPC and someone is shopping around for a contractor getting multiple quotes and viewing multiple businesses (like most people do when shopping around). Yelp will charge that business for each click even if it did not result in a job. Because they paid for the “exposure.” When and if you are closing a deal, you have to tell business owners that you will stay in touch with them if they have any questions about their advertising “campaign.” However, my manager encouraged my teammates and I to not answer the phone for customers or to simply give them the inbound support number. This was common practice throughout the office. Once, I sat on a phone with a business owner for thirty minutes and listened to their complaints, they were charge over four-hundred dollars and didn’t get a single client. What are you supposed to say to a small business owner? I simply said, “I’m sorry.” I felt awful and dirty. There is an in-house barista but every drink they have is acidic tasting and quite frankly, they’re rude (I suppose it’s because they are only paid minimum wage). Reps are encouraged to consume copious amounts of espresso to “keep the energy up.” There is also free food in the two kitchens. However, it’s mostly prepackaged food full of preservatives and nitrates. Good luck grabbing a Walmart Ready-Pac salad or frozen hamburger because all employees take their lunch at 12:00 pm. The office has between 650 - 800 people, give or take firings/hiring/resignations. The two kitchens are like war zones. You spend your hour lunch break waiting twenty minutes to use one of the six microwaves. But while you’re waiting for your first check or you’re in-between checks, the food is helpful. Just make sure in between enjoying free coffee, food, and soft-drinks, you don’t use the bathroom too often. Your manager will constantly want to know where you are. There is the option to do overtime, it's not mandatory, but boy if it’s the last day of the month (LDOM) and you’re leaving at 5:30, expect a dirty look. I witnessed the top performer on my team and one of the top performers in my entire group break down in tears. Management took this happy and bright twenty-two-year-old girl and broke her. What can I, a twenty-seven-year-old who has multiple jobs, say to a young girl in her first role? Recent grads are the target demographic for hiring because they are the most vulnerable. They don’t know that a work environment isn’t supposed to be (this) toxic. Another peer on my team had a nervous breakdown (on his birthday), he was also fired a week later (not a lie or embellishment). In fact, in a week’s time, my former team lost five people, three were fired and two quit (another rep and myself). Work isn’t supposed to be “easy” but it shouldn’t be this hard. My manager and director would simply tell reps who were unhappy that they are not trying hard enough. In fact, my director sent out an email with an article about the health benefits of stress. This is an individual who would have group meetings with all the teams under his leadership just to yell at them. He would constantly walk around the floor and scream at people if they looked unhappy. You will be forced to stand up for “power-hours” and no, Yelp does not provide standing desks. In addition to possibly earning commission, you can earn other perks such as McDonalds breakfast sandwiches, Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts coffee, an off-site with your team to go drink, taking a picture with a musty jersey, or “bragging” rights. So basically, nothing. You will gain or lose weight, depending on how your body handles stress. You will constantly get sick; the stress will make it hard for your immune system. You will age, a year in this role and you will look older and more tired. You will lose motivation to do anything, even on weekends. It will be hard to imagine life before Yelp. Leaving the company has given me such clarity. While applying for other roles, I was given a writing assignment that took me way longer than it should have. I realized that in the months I’d been employed at Yelp, I hadn’t really used my brain for critical thinking. So, after all this you’re still interested in working at Yelp. Best of luck, welcome to your career.

Yelp2019-08-28

Yelp Response

January 17, 2020

We appreciate your thoughtful and thorough feedback on your experience at Yelp. We're deeply sorry that your time with us was not what you expected. The things you've mentioned in your review are very far from the experience and overall work culture we work so hard to create here, and its unfortunate that your experience was negative. We go to great lengths during our interview process to set expectations on the challenges of the role, as we never want to spring surprises on anyone on day one. Many tenured employees at Yelp truly enjoy their jobs and find that the continuous challenge is inspiring and helps them grow their skill sets. We understand that this environment might not be for everyone, and in some cases, can be overwhelming. We wish we would have had the opportunity to hear your concerns during your time here, and we wish you only the best in the next step of your career. Thank you for your time with us, we will pass along your feedback to our leadership team so we can continue to make Yelp a great place to work.

"“Help I worked for Yelp”"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Genuinely good people you work with/Free coffee/good location/ a good job to develop strong communication skills. Some decent benefits/ pay not the greatest but not the best either. Gym reimbursement.

Cons

Ok so I along with 2100 people were recently laid off due to the Covid-19 mess. It was coming most of yelps most searched businesses were the hardest hit and revenues are plunging. However I was there for a year exactly. I was excited to be joining a big brand name like Yelp and I thought I’d be mostly consulting on Yelp ads to business owners looking to increase their ad performance. That’s not the case as a customer success manager you’re basically in a run of the mill call center and all day long you deal with mostly angry clients. You’d be surprised how many business owners hate Yelp and view it as a bully. So here is the gist of it Yelp is basically a sales company they have a large sales department across six offices and each rep has to make 80 to 100 dials a day they hound business owners till they eventually get someone to sign up for advertising on Yelp. The problem is that the sales pitch isn’t always transparent, and why would it be? the product isn’t that great to say the least, sales people sell dreams that are no where close to reality and the worst part is they don’t explain billing properly their whole aim is to get a credit card on file get them to start ads and then ghost the client. This isn’t some issue of a few rouge sales people this is actually a problem at the top of the management and these practices are encouraged to dupe business owners to sign up quickly so they can nickel and dime them for whatever they can squeeze out of the person. This is where CSM comes in now you’re dealing with a angry person especially first few days of the month when the bill drops who is asking for a refund because they were misled on the sales call and now it’s your job to not only tell them in most cases there is no refund especially if they have cancelled their ads but also try and resell Yelp. The problem is yelp ads don’t really work for most industries lawyers, most doctors, real estate, pet groomers, construction etc I seldom saw any of these business be successful. A lot of it purely depends on the area the business is in and general demand but Yelp sales will try to sell everyone and their mother ads like it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread. The main package is cost per click and then they have some paid products at fixed prices for the month. I would see clients pay for example $570 a month for a couple of months and have no business so who were all these people clicking god only knows honestly though I did hear people complain a lot about spam messages and calls. Anyways that’s a majority of what you as a customer service rep have to deal with and the management just tells you Yelp works these people have no business because people chose their competitors and they need to spend more or improve their page which was completely untrue they didn’t get any business because these clicks are shady as hell and nobody really looks for anything beyond restaurants and nightlife on Yelp and funny thing most restaurants and bars don’t even need to advertise on yelp they do just fine with a free page. Then there is the matter of filtered reviews and bad reviews whenever a business owner received a bad review it was obviously fake (sarcasm) lol and they wanted it removed and Yelp doesn’t remove many reviews so you’re stuck there on the phone being like I get it but sorry people are entitled to their opinion and no one likes hearing that also yelp filters reviews and that angers business owners because now most of their good reviews aren’t showing and you have to be like sorry it’s a software can’t do anything. In the end I have a lot of issues with how this place does business and I can go on but I wouldn’t recommend this place because your anxiety and depression will get triggered mine did. I do want to add I was a top performer I had 90% + rev retention for most of the months and had a great CSAT score good productivity I did my job well because I am a professional but couldn’t stand behind the product and never really had a taste for koolaid. You will meet some good people here and the positive is that the job is so unnecessarily hard that anything afterwards will be easy. You will also meet a lot of koolaid drinking fake smile type people as well who I couldn’t stand. Management is young and their job is to just monitor KPIs they’re not leaders just supervisors who are there to resell yelp to you if they feel you aren’t sipping the kool aid. The culture is ok I mean the job is so taxing, stressful and repetitive that they can’t really do much to make it fun no matter what they do. In the end Yelp put me out of my misery and I am glad for that. Please there are better call Centers out there if that’s your thing skip this one. Hope this helps someone whenever Yelp starts hiring again.

Yelp2020-04-12
  10. "Overall decent"

4.0
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy going, good environment and great pay. Fully stocked kitchen and everything you Need

Cons

Rude business owners. Can be hectic at times.

Yelp2020-03-01

Yelp Response

March 4, 2020

Thank you for your hard work and dedication to Yelp! Sales at Yelp are fast-paced and calls for plenty of adaptation and flexibility. We're glad to have you on the team and are thankful for your feedback.

Found 228 reviews