Yelp Employee Reviews about "free food"

Updated 29 Dec 2020

3.4
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
1,568 Ratings
Pros
  • "They offer a very good benefits program as well as free food and drink everyday(in 268 reviews)

• "Amazing culture and great people(in 194 reviews)

Cons
  • "Calling business owners that have a negative set mindset about Yelp(in 241 reviews)

• "Cold calls, talking to business owners who have never used a phone(in 78 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "free food"

Return to all Reviews

"Not a nice place"

in London, England

I worked at Yelp for more than a year

Pros

Meet some nice people Free food

Cons

HR abysmal very standof fish doesn't engage with staff very cold Lots of nepotism

Continue reading

"Seems like a fun place to work, but stay away"

Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

free food, music, casual clothes, fun young office

Cons

success depends on your territory. you're only as liked as your latest revenue figures. lots of favouritism. mgt are young so can be quite catty and unprofesstional. cliquey.

"Working at Yelp UK"

Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked at Yelp for about 7 months. It was incredibly exciting in the beginning. Yelp was just starting out in the UK and the atmosphere was great. You got: - excellent training. - fun, young colleagues - free food, the beer keg!

Cons

However, all the free bagels and hummus could not make me work there again. What initially started out as an exciting and rewarding experience soon turned into a bit off a nightmare. It is essentially a telephone sales role. How you do depends on the territory you get so if you luck out on this it all goes down hill. You work with great people who tend to disappear one by one. Initially they were fired for not meeting expectations (at this point quite unrealistic sales expectation as Yelp was a new product in the UK that no one had heard of) but eventually we started leaving in droves. Some of my friends left without even having another job to go to they were so desperate. It became taboo to talk about those who had left so many a lunchtime conversation was spoken in hushed tones. The reason: THE PRESSURE! so much pressure, the managers would walk up and down the office making announcements about how if we didn't make a deal in the next hour we should just pack up and leave. Constant threats of being fired means that there's this atmosphere of panic and just downright depression.

Continue reading

"Lots of Unethical Practices"

Former Employee - Junior Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food in the office

Cons

Lots of misleading sales that "aren't condoned nor encouraged by Yelp" but still regularly take place(with everyone from managers to directors being aware of them) including not fully explaining the product to clients, not divulging information about the charges they would recieve and pressuring potential clients. Work climate is like a fraternity with drug use outside of work at work outings...etc. There is a great business insider article about all of this, I encourage everyone to read before starting. It is extremely accurate.

December 18, 2020

Thank you for taking a moment to let us know how things went during your time at Yelp. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the free food in our offices before COVID-19, but we are concerned to hear that you feel that the needs of our clients are not being considered during the sales process, and that honesty is being compromised in the interest of profits. This behavior is completely against our policy and like you mentioned, is not representative of Yelp's values. We encourage employees to speak up against this behavior without fear of retribution, and have even implemented systems to allow employees to report workplace behaviour anonymously. We invite you to send us more details about your experience at employeefeedback@yelp.com so we can look into this further. We want everyone to feel good about the work they are doing, and to have the tools they need to succeed in an ethical manner that serves our clients best. We're thankful for your contributions to the team and wish you the very best of luck in your next role.

"Toxic environment"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Free food and some cool people

Cons

Really toxic environment, always at risk of losing your job if you're not performing

January 6, 2021

Thank you for letting us know how things went during your time at Yelp. It's great to hear that you enjoyed the various perks that were available in our various offices, like the fully-stocked kitchens. While every career in Sales will have some sort of metric or quota that is measured for success, the managers here are devoted to helping you reach those goals month after month. Sometimes that can look like various one-on-one conversations throughout the day, and setting sales quotas that encourage people to continually improve. While this environment is inspiring for most, we understand that it may not be for everyone. We're glad we had the opportunity to work with you, best of luck in your next role!

6. "Yelp review"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

free food and good people

Cons

did not provide the best benefits

7. "Perks"

4.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free food. Lots of co workers. Teach you sales tips

Cons

High pressure to produce sales results.

November 20, 2020

Thanks for sharing your experience! It sounds like you found a good number of things to love about Yelp during your time with us as an Account Executive. The Sales Development Program is one that many new AE's truly appreciate and love, and we're glad to hear that you did, too. Thank you for your feedback around feeling pressured during your time in the role. We always encourage our team members to lean on their managers when they are feeling like additional support is needed. We're here to provide additional coaching and support to help you succeed! We're always listening to the concerns of our employees to make Yelp a great place to work, and your feedback helps us take another step in that direction. We're thankful for your contributions to the team and we wish you the best of luck in your next role!

8. "AE"

Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Kitchen had free food and free coffee bar

Cons

The job itself - cold calling all day long

December 18, 2020

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts. We agree that cold calling is not for everyone, so we strive to cultivate a positive, supportive environment where our employees can feel satisfied with their work even when they face tough calls. We appreciate your feedback and are glad we had the opportunity to work with you.

9. "Great training poor management"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training and lots of free food

Cons

long hours and poor management

November 6, 2020

Thanks for taking a moment to leave some feedback on your experience at Yelp. We're happy to see that you enjoyed the Sales Development Program and enjoyed the office perks! We strive to create a healthy work-life balance for all employees, and encourage that employees take time off when they need to rest and refresh. We'll be sure to share your notes with the team so we can keep making improvements. We're happy that we had the opportunity to work with you, best of luck in your next role!

10. "Good job for people that can talk sales"

4.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, the people, free food in kitchen

Cons

pressure to sell, constant change in managers

October 16, 2020

Thank you for your feedback! It's great to hear that you felt valued at Yelp and found plenty of things to love about your time with us. We appreciate your feedback around the management style you received. Our management style at Yelp is very hands-on. Our goal is to give ample support for our sales team while they learn new sales skills and practice new tactics. This sometimes includes things like barging calls to assist with closing deals or managers having team check-ins multiple times per day to ensure everyone is on-track to achieve their goals. We're always listening to the needs of our people to make improvements at Yelp, we'll be sure to pass up your advice to our leadership team. We're thankful for your contributions to the team, and we wish you the very best of luck in your next role!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 267 English Reviews