Yelp Employee Reviews about "free food"

Updated Jan 20, 2021

Found 274 of over 3,701 reviews

3.5
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
1,825 Ratings
Pros
  • "Fun culture, free food, good money(in 277 reviews)

• "Amazing culture and great people(in 199 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Uphill battle having to constantly convince business owners that Yelp is not this corrupt monster of a company(in 248 reviews)

• "All cold calls, lots of burnout(in 80 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Yelp

Join the conversation on

Tech

3m

works at

Yelp

At Yelp we have “quarterlies” where we align with our manager on our growth over the quarter and if there is a “misalignment” in where we think I am then we chat about it to try and come to a mutual understanding. In my last two quarterlies I’ve felt like we’ve misaligned in multiple areas and I spent a ton of time explaining things that my manager didn’t know I did. So my question is… have you experienced something similar and what did you do to fix it. How can I gain visibility?

5 Comments

Tech

82.5K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.co.uk&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Yelp~43314
    Join the conversation on

Reviews about "free food"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 1.0

Not a nice place

Nov 13, 2016 -  in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Meet some nice people Free food

Cons

HR abysmal very standof fish doesn't engage with staff very cold Lots of nepotism

3 people found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Seems like a fun place to work, but stay away

Dec 3, 2013 - Account Executive in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

free food, music, casual clothes, fun young office

Cons

success depends on your territory. you're only as liked as your latest revenue figures. lots of favouritism. mgt are young so can be quite catty and unprofesstional. cliquey.

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0

Working at Yelp UK

Jun 4, 2013 - Account Executive in London, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at Yelp for about 7 months. It was incredibly exciting in the beginning. Yelp was just starting out in the UK and the atmosphere was great. You got: - excellent training. - fun, young colleagues - free food, the beer keg!

Cons

However, all the free bagels and hummus could not make me work there again. What initially started out as an exciting and rewarding experience soon turned into a bit off a nightmare. It is essentially a telephone sales role. How you do depends on the territory you get so if you luck out on this it all goes down hill. You work with great people who tend to disappear one by one. Initially they were fired for not meeting expectations (at this point quite unrealistic sales expectation as Yelp was a new product in the UK that no one had heard of) but eventually we started leaving in droves. Some of my friends left without even having another job to go to they were so desperate. It became taboo to talk about those who had left so many a lunchtime conversation was spoken in hushed tones. The reason: THE PRESSURE! so much pressure, the managers would walk up and down the office making announcements about how if we didn't make a deal in the next hour we should just pack up and leave. Constant threats of being fired means that there's this atmosphere of panic and just downright depression.

7 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Don’t work here

Jan 20, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The coworkers, free food , free coffee

Cons

Everything I ha the it

Yelp Response

Thank you for letting us know how you've been feeling. We strive to make our employees feel valued with unique perks like fully-stocked kitchens and on-site baristas, but understand that there is always room to grow and learn from what our employees have to say. The last thing we want to is to make any one of our teammates feel like they are in an environment in which they can't speak up. If you feel like your concerns are not being heard, please email us at employeefeedback@yelp.com so that we can find a way to support you.

5. 4.0
      Former Contractor

Overall Good Experience

Jan 18, 2021 - Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun culture, free food, good money.

Cons

Wish they had better benefits

6. 4.0
      Former Employee

Decent entry level

Jan 11, 2021 - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free food Taught you to be relentless

Cons

Compared numbers of people selling in rural areas vs dense cities. A lot of management should not be running teams. Need more experience.

7. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

The job is what you make it.. to an extent

Jan 19, 2021 - Account Executive in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

-The culture was great(free food in kitchen, benefits, mostly young people, LGBTQ+ friendly, lots of happy hours and team outings) -Opportunities to make money(Compared to other sales job, earning a decent base with the ability to make commission is always nice) -Work life balance(Upper Management respects hard work but doesn't push you to stay late, in fact they encourage people to leave when the work day is done)

Cons

-Cold Calling sales(That's the job.. nothing more, nothing less. No matter how management wants to sugarcoat it, it's a grind) -Territory luck(If your territory is a major urban area where there are simply more yelp users, it will be easier to convince business owners to buy ads. Management will say that no matter where your territory is, you can make 40K in revenue monthly, but that's simply just not true, and they know it too.) -Some nepotism(Managers seem to say who gets what territory is dependent on luck to an extent, but they can choose who gets where. If they simply like/dislike a person, that will dictate who gets what territory. People should be rewarded on a mix of revenue/effort.)

8. 3.0

Good as a first job

Jan 19, 2021 - Account Executive in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

health benefits, friendly coworkers, fringe benefits like free food

Cons

hard sell, low commission, boring to cold call, recycled leads

9. 3.0
      Current Employee

Your choice

Jan 20, 2021 - Account Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits the environment and free food

Cons

Cold calling hard to sale in a pandemic

10. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good foot in the door, depending on manager

Jan 14, 2021 - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Free food - Energetic office environment - Off-site events and beer on tap every day after work - You are in charge of your own success

Cons

- VERY metrics based... in the eyes of management, even if you are meeting/exceeding your quota, there's always something you could be doing better - Hard sell... you are contacting business owners who have been contacted by Yelp countless times. - Low base pay and no commission during ramp up time - Extremely hard to hit quota, especially in COVID times

1 person found this review helpful

Yelp Response

Thank you for your feedback! We're happy to hear that Yelp was a great place to get your foot in the door and launch your career in sales. The managers at Yelp are devoted to the career growth of each individual here. Sometimes that can look like various one-on-one conversations throughout the day, and setting sales quotas that encourage people to continually improve. While this environment is inspiring for most, we understand that it may not be for everyone. Listening to the concerns of our employees is a crucial step to helping us improve Yelp for everyone, and we're thankful for your help with those efforts.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 274 Reviews