Yorkshire Building Society Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Yorkshire Building Society Reviews

Updated 16 Jan 2020

Yorkshire Building Society Chief Executive  Mike Regnier (no image)
Mike Regnier
Pros
  • "Much more of an emphasis on people and work/life balance than any of the Big 4 UK Banks with whom I have worked(in 12 reviews)

• "Flexible working and clear outline of responsibilities(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "no cons - everything is good at YBS(in 8 reviews)

• "Very little empowerment and zero options for career progression, especially post-restructure(in 6 reviews)

1. "Accounts controller"

Current Employee - Account Controller

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time

Pros

Flexible working, good training, big organisation

Cons

Systems are slow, salary could be better

Yorkshire Building Society2020-01-09
  2. "Good company that went downhill"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Leeds, England

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great professional and expertise of colleagues Flexible working

Cons

Low salary Too many changes at the top Let most of their good employees in Change go

Yorkshire Building Society2020-01-16

"Good people, but poor people development"

Current Employee - Customer Consultant in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- The people I work with daily are kind and compassionate- this can be said for 95% of the staff at YBS. - The customers for the most part are lovely, they make the job more bearable - Our products aren't great, but they are competitive, meaning we don't have to deal with as many complaints surrounding rates- probably due to mutuality. - Not a target driven environment when customer facing (I think this is due to changes in financial services environment rather than mantra of the company. ) - Charitable work is encouraged, i feel as an organisation we do make a massive impact with charitable work and ybs gives us hours in which we can volunteer and still earn an income. - this is very rewarding personally. - work life balance/flexibility is good, if you're part time... if you're not given flexible working conditions/part time, expect to pick up everyone's workload - Employees who are sick are treated humanely compared to some places I've worked in the past.

Cons

-Poor career progression, especially for branch staff (I know branch staff that have been in the same role for 10 years despite been eager to develop their careers) - If you are looking for a career, do not join as a Customer Consultant. -I've worked at both head office, and branch. head office staff have more facilities, I visited a branch recently where the staff were buying water instead of using the facilities because the water comes out 'rusty'. - They are doing rounds of consultation at the minute, and yet they have things like pool tables at the head office site... wasteful mismanagement. They are also encouraging staff to talk about mental health which is brilliant, however when you consider the consultations this is counter intuitive, the money spent on these initiatives could be used in ensuring these colleagues still have a role. The people who are suffering the most from mental health troubles are those who are being made redundant. -YBS idea of career progression for branch staff is getting consultants to go to head office to shadow different teams, one of the issues with this is that because of resourcing you could get perhaps, 5 hours in a team over a 5 month period, utterly pointless and is done to try appease branch staff because morale is so low- there is no magic wand, but we make record profits every year, please invest in people more. - Mantra of the company is 'real help with real lives' in terms of product offerings, we seem to help wealthy people get wealthier. We did used to help a lot of low income customers get basic cash cards, but they have abandoned this recently, it seems the recent focus of the organisation is getting more money from the wealthy, and making more money from the mortgages. - many staff members already struggling financially are paying their own money towards events for charities as they feel obligated to fulfil corporate responsibility. In a nutshell staff members are paying for YBS's PR,- This is not how a mutual should behave.

Yorkshire Building Society2019-12-22
  4. "Was good whilst it lasted"

Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Cheltenham, England

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good holiday allowance and benefits, generally lovely people to work with. Great bonus scheme, equality and diversity ethos and charitably minded.

Cons

Poor IT making working practices challenging, very behind with the times. Lots of change for changes sake. Not always open and honest.

Yorkshire Building Society2019-12-03
  5. "Good to begin with then lost its way."

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society

Pros

The people. But that is it

Cons

Lies. They don’t treat branch level staff with the respect they deserve. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. There’s no progression

Yorkshire Building Society2019-12-27

"Bullying, discrimination and harassment"

Current Employee - Manager in Conwy, Wales

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

None they all went 2yrs ago

Cons

Too many to list but includes bullying, harassment and discrimination. Lies being told even up to CEO level

Yorkshire Building Society2019-12-25
  7. "Great place and people"

Current Employee - ALM Analyst in Leeds, England

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture Lovely people Lots of opportunity to rotate around jobs internally

Cons

Ruthless culture in recent years of hiring and firing In danger of letting too many experienced staff go

Yorkshire Building Society2019-11-11
  8. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time for less than a year

Pros

friendly people and nice environment

Cons

no cons - everything is good at YBS

Yorkshire Building Society2019-10-20

"Lack of progression let's it down"

Current Employee - Customer Consultant

I have been working at Yorkshire Building Society full-time

Pros

Great staff everywhere Great on development Pay is about average Annual bonus scheme Great pension scheme

Cons

No way to increase basic pay No career progression Dont know how to treat staff in redundancies Some managers are poor

Yorkshire Building Society2019-09-09
  10. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Risk Analyst in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England

I worked at Yorkshire Building Society part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexibility around hours. Can work from home. Good pay

Cons

No clear direction or job security

Yorkshire Building Society2019-09-10