Youth Organizations Umbrella Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Work-Study Mentor"

I worked at Youth Organizations Umbrella as an intern

Pros

Nice pay for college student

Cons

Terrible communication on the part of management

2. "Not a Grat Fit"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Youth Organizations Umbrella as a contractor

Pros

Working with a diverse group of clients

Cons

Disorganized
    Minus space to work in
    Self care does not seem to be an implementation into contract workers position
    Discrimination relevant

Advice to Management

Work with your direct service works more effectively and efficiently. They are the ones who do all they heavy lifting.

3. "Excellent Atmosphere"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Youth Organizations Umbrella as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture of Y.O.U. is what keeps you there. Everyone is super passionate about the mission and maintaining work life balance. Most employees are in their 20s and 30s and it makes for a very fun and friendly atmosphere.

Cons

People are sometimes too nice, it makes it hard to really believe the feedback that you receive, which is generally quite positive. As a mid-size nonprofit, Y.O.U. thrives mostly on grants though it is able to weather difficult financial times.

"Great Organization With the Right Leadership.."

Former Employee - Program Aide in Evanston, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Program Aide in Evanston, IL (US)

I worked at Youth Organizations Umbrella full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as a tutor and Program Aid for an after-school program in Evanston. It was a blast working with the children, and I really felt that we helped them succeed academically and emotionally. Their parents also expressed a lot of gratitude for our support.

Cons

Unfortunately, the Site Directors are not payed what they are worth and, therefore, the good ones leave. When we had great Site Directors, that program functioned very smoothly and effectively. Once they left, the program kind of fell apart.

Advice to Management

Make sure to compensate your leadership appropriately. That will keep the good leaders where they are, and will result in a much higher quality of programming!

5. "Troubling"

Pros

Mission driven and dedicated to children

Cons

Lack of confidentiality, poor communication and low salary. Inadequate interns and poor management

6. "It provided invaluable opportunity to contribute to the growth of others as well as foster personal growth."

Former Employee - Youth Development Specialist in Evanston, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Youth Development Specialist in Evanston, IL (US)

I worked at Youth Organizations Umbrella part-time

Pros

It is somewhat of an inconspicuous gem in Evanston. Their mission and goals are very well defined and obviously valuable to the community. The overall package of services provided by the organization is extensive and unparalleled..

Cons

It is still growing and searching for funding. Funding can be crippling for the organization because they are limited due to their geographic location in a primarily wealthy community and the still-growing reach of the organization.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that it is very important to expand or to reach out for funding but I think the primary operations (serving children) should be the primary focus of the organization. I think sometimes it is underemphasized or overlooked. I would suggest that they focus on strengthening the core operations of the organization; after all, that is the primary indication of the success of the organization.