ZEAL Group Reviews

Updated Jun 15, 2021

Found 20 of over 24 reviews

4.1
ZEAL Group CEO Dr. Helmut Becker (no image)
Dr. Helmut Becker

166 Comments

Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great company to work for

Mar 30, 2021 - Finance Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, young crowd, fun and active, dynamic

Cons

no cons, great place to work

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work and develop skills

Sep 27, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great environment and colleagues, you can feel comfortable at work - Your opinion is appreciated and valued - Variety of opportunities to learn on the job - Great benefits (gym membership, financial support for further education, healthcare and pension including advise) - Great company events and travel

Cons

There is room for improvement when it comes to communication, structure, and processes. This is however a great opportunity to contribute and improve, which is highly welcomed.

Employer Representative

Thanks for your review, we really appreciate your feedback and take it into account.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee

Analytics

Aug 22, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly culture which encourages debates, autonomy, flexibility and openness. It's hard to find a company which treats employees as well as Zeal and I have been here for over 8 years now.

Cons

Company needs to be more risk taking but it's already changing and getting there within the constraints.

Employer Representative

Thanks for your lovely comment and you are right, taking risks and embracing change is very important.

4. 5.0

Excellent work environment

Mar 4, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

nice, modern office break area has got ping pong table, XBox breakfast :serials, veetabix, coffee machine, different types of milk (almond, soya, etc) monday 30 mins meeting to keep everyone up to date with news/updates from different teams flowers to all new starters on a first day great people, super friendly and easy to approach (desite on the level of seniority), everyne is so easy going very good benefits,i.e. gym discount, pension contribution, 28 days holidays

Cons

Can't think of any..

Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for your review, it´s really good to hear that our employees are happy.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Working at Zeal

Nov 22, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work, excellent atmosphere: relaxed, no micromanagement, empowered and given autonomy. Excellent office space with lots of perks and benefits such as weekly drinks trolley, everyday breakfast, fresh fruit, biscuits and nuts plus competitive gym benefit, pension and private healthcare offerings.

Cons

No clear career development program.

Employer Representative

Thank you for your review. It´s really good to hear you enjoy the office perks and atmosphere. We really value our employee´s feedback, and it´s important to us that our people feel supported. We offer many learning and development courses to assist in career progression and believe in nurturing our people. However, we would like to understand what happened on this occasion and would very much appreciate you getting in touch. Please reach out to me on rebecca.schmidt@sg-tech.co.uk.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Solid company! Good Atmosphere.

Sep 1, 2017 - End User Support in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

The good atmosphere of work and the good communication channels make Zeal stand out from the other places that I've worked before. Zeal is a well-established company and in constant growth. Career progress inside the company is real and fast!

Cons

Nothing to say for now.

Employer Representative

Thank you for your comment. We are very happy to hear you are enjoying your work at Zeal.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Opportunity.. Opportunity ... Opportunity at every corner...

Jul 15, 2017 - Senior Technology Leader in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

Having worked within the Zeal Group for about two years now, it's very clear to me that this company has all of the ingredients for success. * Start with aligned leadership at the top (CEO, CTO and CFO) work really well together. Each of them have very different styles, however they complement each other very well, and this provides for balanced decision making. * Great business, with great market potential. This is not a young business by any means. This group of companies has been around for well over ten years. They understand the market well and they have developed businesses that are very successful and this makes them a leader in each product market. * Well-Funded & Solid Financials. We are a public company and have continued to provide the market and investors with strong returns and have a great deal of cash on hand for any opportunities that might arise. * Investment in Technology: With just about 300 collective employees across the group of companies, more than 1/3 is comprised of Technology Professionals. A major benefit of so many platforms, is all of the great technologies we get to leverage. We are empowered to be as innovative as possible and utilize cutting edge tools to make us faster and more agile. On the Technology Infrastructure side, we have a working strategy towards Infrastructure as Code, we use tools like Ansible to automate as many tasks as possible and to empower the development teams to go faster and be empowered. On the development side, we have a continued focus on speed and quality. We are well on our way with continuous delivery, with some products doing code releases multiple times per day. We also get to use some pretty cool tools like (Docker, Kubernetes, Swarm, Rancher to name a few. All in all, we are well on our way in terms of leveraging technologies in the market that provide the most value and purpose. * Diversification: This is accomplished at the business level and across the great people who work for the group of companies. At the business level, we have a diverse portfolio of businesses within the group. Some are mature and well established and some are start-up like and provide opportunities for entrepreneur type minded people to engage and be successful. On the professional side we have something for everyone. In terms of people, we operated internationally and that ensures that we have people working here from all over the world with different backgrounds and different abilities. This group of companies has a true melting pot of talent. * Empowerment and Accountability: Two of our company values are “think like an owner” and “think brave”. These two values embody the culture we have. They really empower the employees to think outside the box and be provocative thinkers to solve problems. However with that empowerment comes accountability as well, so it’s very balanced in that way. All in all, in my twenty year career, this is by far one of the best places I have worked all things taken into consideration.

Cons

* An Opportunity and a Challenge: is the fact we have a very attractive market that we operate within. This is now starting to bring more and more competitors into our market vertical. With all of this competition we have many things going on in parallel and it can be challenging for sure. If you are highly motivated and can handle quick pivots in direction and are able to context switch without major disruption? Then this place is for you… if you are a more methodical person who needs a great deal of time to analyze and test ideas for success before trying them, this might not be the place for you. The pace here can sometimes be stressful, however it’s also very rewarding. * History…: First let me say, history is just that history, however since these companies have grown so much over the last 15+ years, it’s no surprise that we sometimes can’t out run the impact that historical decisions are still having on our technology platforms and our culture at times. While I think we have made amazing strides in the last two years of my time within the group, I think we need to continue to look forward and focus on the future and the opportunity ahead. We can sometimes get burdened by some of the technical debt that has accumulated over the years or the “way things used to be done” and lose our way forward at times. However, again I see this as a con and a major opportunity. * Brand and Market Recognition: I love the “Zeal” name, however it does not directly speak to all of the great things and people that we have. It does not tell the story on the surface of all the great things we do and the positive impact we have on people’s lives. When you look on the surface you see that we work on lotteries… and on the surface, that does not seem so compelling. What our brand does not show is how seriously we take what we do and the focus we have on taking lotteries to the next level. We are now not only doing traditional lotteries and secondary lotteries we are also branching out into Charity Lotteries and Social Lotteries… which are very cool and super impactful on the countries and local regions that we work with. So again, love our name and brand, however I think it’s a bit of a struggle for people to realize all of the great things we do and are capable of just by our name. Certainly, a bit disappointing. * Mixed Cultures: Another positive and a challenge is that we have some very distinct cultures across the main offices we have (Spain, Germany, UK). We certainly try to work together as much as possible and collaborate as much as we can, however you can never really avoid the different cultures we have across the three countries and the sometimes-challenging impact that has on operating the businesses. I would say we are getting much better, however we still have a ways to go and a lot to learn and adapt to make this area more seamless.

Employer Representative

Thanks so much for taking the time writing this review. We hope that will inspire some people to find out even more about Zeal.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Very diverse company with great development opportunities

Jun 27, 2017 - Business Development Manager in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

- lots of development opportunity - freedom and a lot of ownership at an early stage of your career - flat hierarchies - very young company average age of employees is mid 30 - very diverse (female vs. male and nationalities)

Cons

- Only min required maternal leave package in the UK (but I have been told it will soon be improved) - Highly regulated market - you cannot progress and innovate as quickly as I would like to - Male dominated management

2 people found this review helpful

Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you very much for your review. We are over the moon that you would recommend working at Zeal and speak positively of our diverse work force. We would like to inform you that the Zeal Group has an enhanced maternity policy in the UK. We pay the first 9 weeks of maternity at 100% of your salary followed by 30 weeks of Statutory Maternity Pay. This is an enhanced policy compared to the statutory obligation of the first 6 weeks at 90% of your salary followed by 33 weeks of SMP. This is something we may look to improve in the future but for a company of our size we are in line with our competitors. We know we have to improve our female/male ratio on the Management level. Although we recently promoted one of our long-term female employees to a Managing Director and we are proud to have a female CTO, we are aware of the issue and have open discussions about it.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture and fun office environment

May 4, 2017 - Talent Acquisition Manager in London, England, England
    Business Outlook

Pros

I joined Zeal 3 months ago and I could not be happier. Of course, of being part of the HR/recruitment team I might be a little biased ;) but as an individual I have to say that I was really warm welcomed here by everybody. My job is exciting and challenging, I got great equipment and tools to work with. People are very approachable, also the Board and Senior managers. By having regular office meetings and get togethers, I really get a good feel about the whole company. And great benefits!

Cons

Meeting rooms are booked up quickly

1 person found this review helpful

Employer Representative

Thank you for leaving this great review.

10. 5.0

Exceptional company

Jun 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Hamburg
    Business Outlook

Pros

- A true voice - great communication - best executive management I ever met - exceptional benefits

Cons

- gambling / lottery industry not for everyone. But ZEAL tries to be a force for good here

Viewing 1 - 10 of 20 Reviews