Zalando Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated 27 May 2020

3.5
Zalando CEO Robert Gentz
Robert Gentz
Pros
  • "flexible work environment and based on commission(in 45 reviews)

• "The work life balance is great and I have never been pressured to work out of hours or weekends in my time here(in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • "Low salary for the amount of work(in 13 reviews)

• "Like any big company, polities can be a bit stressing at times(in 12 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer

I have been working at Zalando full-time

Pros

Work life balance was good

Cons

Very corporate enviroment, felt more tech than fashion

Zalando2020-02-18

"Fluctuating Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Zalando full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work/Life balance and facilities are good, more so in some offices than others Senior management seem genuinely open

Cons

Atmosphere really changes between offices or even teams and areas within offices. Performance Reviews are too heavily based on peer reviews so you can easily be torpedoed by a peer or someone unqualified can easily be pushed into a better position Radical Chaos means people can do things without explaining themselves (and then torpedo people who ask questions in peer reviews, as mentioned already) There didn't seem to be room for promotion

Zalando2017-04-07

"A company that doesn't trust its employees"

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Berlin

I have been working at Zalando full-time

Pros

40% discount in clothing for employees

Cons

Basically our working conditions keep getting worse and worse. More things are being pushed top to bottom that erode them. - Management has already hinted that working from home won't be allowed after Covid, despite everyone working as hard as before. This policy of not allowing home office was always strong and it shows how much they trust employees and care about work-life balance. - Salary freeze for 2020, despite the share price being at its highest.

Zalando2020-05-27

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Germany in Berlin

I have been working at Zalando full-time for less than a year

Pros

Dynamic, Agile, Work-Life Balance, Mindest that its employees are its assets.

Cons

Not much to write. One of its biggest strengths to adapt quickly can sometimes be perceived as a problem by outsiders.

Zalando2020-04-15

"Perfect Work-Life balance"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Berlin

I have been working at Zalando full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Work Life balance - Stability - Great support for relocation

Cons

- It's a huge company, processes can be slow sometimes

Zalando2020-03-29

"Great team spirit and collaboration"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin

I have been working at Zalando full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are looking to learn and develop your career, Zalando is the right place. I found that every team member is super friendly and helpful as well as dedicated to their job, you would always get the information you need on how to handle you task, which makes it efficient to collaborate. Lead are very interested in your development and needs. I am a single mother and my leads are very flexible and understanding to my needs, they are also willing to offer adjustments so that I could enjoy a work-life balance.

Cons

Sometimes the processes are quite complicated, but the company is already looking into implementing tools which will improve the effectiveness.

Zalando2020-02-18

"The Berlin carrousel"

2.0
    Former Employee - Finance Controller in Berlin

I worked at Zalando full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great colleagues, great to find friends and build a small network of friends when you move to Berlin, 40% employee discount, a lot of smart people work here, a lot of work life balance (depends on your boss and how cool s/he is with you doing home office on a regular basis)

Cons

Salaries are a joke on the more junior levels. Many people want to work in Berlin and apply at Zalando. They know it and take advantage of you. Negotiate hard because your salary will be locked in for a while. The rumours you might have read about zonar are true.

Zalando2020-01-30

"Cutting Edge Tech Stack, amazing colleagues, and a good work life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dublin, Dublin

I have been working at Zalando full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The developer infrastructure at Zalando is the best I have ever worked with. The CI/CD platform in particular makes it easy to build and deploy applications to Kubernetes clusters running on AWS. There is little to no red tape, and teams are (within guidelines) permitted to choose the technology they deem most appropriate for the task at hand. The work life balance is great and I have never been pressured to work out of hours or weekends in my time here. They provide way more than average holiday days, and are flexible with both working hours and locations. I highly recommend Zalando as a place to work, have fun, and learn lots from extremely talented colleagues.

Cons

The organisational structure is regularly influx, and priorities can shift and change with little notice.

Zalando2019-12-10

"Good (almost great) employer."

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berlin

I have been working at Zalando full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Enormous opportunities for impact, chance to work on projects/have conversations at eye level with top management. Interesting intellectual challenges, great colleagues, flexible working hours, emphasis on work/life balance. Leadership is often open to criticism and is not afraid to change what isn't working.

Cons

- Performance management process lacks transparency, is overly cumbersome, and makes no sense..specifically when it comes to salary allocation + promotion. - Some managers are extremely (almost comically) risk averse - this is extremely annoying and often leads to decision paralysis. - Compensation structure quite one-dimensional unless you are a top performer or in management.

Zalando2019-11-26

"Dynamic, flexible work atmosphere"

Current Employee - Merchandise Planner in Berlin

I have been working at Zalando full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I appreciate the flexible working hours that I can use at zalando. Being a mother of two girls and still working full time I need a company which lets me work individually and flexible. I also enjoy the support and Challenge I have experiences with my leads. I could always be open with my feedback and would have never feared to say something wrong. Last but not least I really cherish the dynamic work environment. It’s basically continuous change which motivates me and keeps me busy.

Cons

Actually I don’t have a lot to complain about. I think people often blame the company for things they should just fight for (such as a work life balance) themselves. We could definitely do a bit better in terms of sustainability and diversity however zalando is only a representation of society and at least we made a start here.

Zalando2019-11-23