Zayed University Assistant Professor, University College Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Zayed University Reviews

Updated Nov 16, 2019

2.1
Zayed University CEO Lubna Al Qasimi (no image)
Lubna Al Qasimi

"Do not trust positive "reviews""

Assistant Professor

I have been working at Zayed University for more than 5 years

Pros

salary, medical insurance, beach, some nice colleagues

Cons

work, students, climate, inequality, lack of transparency. Do not trust the positive "reviews" - these are posted by HR, or someone hired by HR. Anyone who actually works there will tell you it is a horrible environment. HR is not helpful, and in this country HR is important. Everyone is looking for a job, or just waiting to make the money they wanted to make and move on. The financial incentives are also... disappearing as things are getting quite expensive, there is a 5% tax, when you arrive you have to find accommodation and will see that it is extremely expensive. So if it is not financially lucrative, then there is really no reason to be here. The university is more like a high school in terms of students and service responsibilities (lots of them - advising, internship supervision, committee work) and students expecting you to be in the office all the time, irrespective of your office hours. Treatment of management is mostly unfair and not transparent - seems that even administrators from the western countries "adjust" to the ZU organizational culture. An unhappy place.

Advice to Management

Please do not post fake reviews here, it is dishonest and against any moral values.

Zayed University2018-06-22

"Senior Management"

I worked at Zayed University

Pros

None whatsoever I cannot bring myself to say anything good about the management. However, the students are wonderful and I feel sorry for them.

Cons

Authoritarian, lacking in depth, lacking in communication skills, lacking in vision, lacking in direction, incompetent and no experience at the level of senior management.

Advice to Management

The minister who runs the ministry is to blame who has hired such incompetent managers. Need to revamp the whole thing.

Zayed University2017-05-24

"Zayed University is the worst place to work"

Current Employee - Professor

I have been working at Zayed University full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is nothing good to say about Zayed University. Senior faculty are lured here (as I was) with the promise of research potential and lucrative funds, generous research leave, and professional autonomy. None of this has materialized.

Cons

Terrible and unqualified management who manage by shouting, issuing inane memoranda, and reneging on promises. A promising institution has been destroyed in two years. Human Resources remains the greatest point of anger from the employees - I have never met such unprofessional individuals in my whole working life. I was kept in a hotel for months as the housing I had been promised was not available. I seriously do... not understand why the university has maintained its international accreditation.

Advice to Management

The entire management, extreme as this sounds, should be fired immediately. Qualified deans and senior administrators should be appointed.

Zayed University2014-12-14

"A really terrible place"

Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Zayed University full-time for more than a year

Pros

While I have been renewed this year, a number of my colleagues were not. These include some of our best faculty, including those who asked legitimate questions - e.g. about the absurd curriculum, or about our must-discussed former colleague who organized "The Great Chinese Walkout"

Cons

The level of disrespect and bullying is impossible. People dread going to work. The shouting and screaming in University College is disgusting to watch.

Advice to Management

Many of us plan to copy the Chinese example in December and take as much money as we can and walk out!

Zayed University2014-10-30

"Double standards"

I worked at Zayed University full-time for more than a year

Pros

I left in 2012 after two years of service in the dreaded University College. It wasn't as bad then as it sounds now (I've stayed in touch with some of my former colleagues). On the whole, it was an easy job.

Cons

I experienced harassment and bullying when I resigned before the end of my first contract. The HR department behaved unprofessionally (as, I hear, there still do now). They basically held back money I was owed for absurd reasons to do with paperwork. Remember the UAE may appear to be a modern country but it's very backwards, so shouting and intimidation is how things work. I am shocked to hear from other reviews... that the Chinese employees walked out with all their benefits and money, and without giving due notice. This does not surprise me because when I was there there was a lot of double standards. Disgraceful.

Advice to Management

Leadership is beyond bad at Zayed University, especially in HR

Zayed University2014-10-16

"Not a great place to work any more. Many faculty actively seeking alternative employment."

I have been working at Zayed University full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good colleagues and new faculty generally supported well. Hasn't been great in terms of pay rises in the past but that used to be compensated in terms of overload pay as teaching loads were fixed at 12 hours a week. Management and HR used to be very approachable. This has now changed.

Cons

Teaching loads increased to 15 hours a week for with those with an MA and 12 for those with doctorates who are also required to research and publish papers. Huge classes of students with weak reading and writing skills which requires much correction. Continuous testing & assessment and marking Endless meetings to give info which should be sent by email but middle management want to show they are doing their jobs... well. Fewer holidays than previously.

Advice to Management

Bullying and a climate of fear doesn't encourage good work ethics.

Zayed University2014-09-09

"Happy to have left!"

Assistant Professor

I worked at Zayed University for more than 3 years

Pros

If you keep your head down, people leave you alone. Expectations low (some people take work far too seriously). PD and grant money easy to get. Teaching is very easy work.

Cons

Too much paperwork and rules. Very confusing resignation system. Was told I could leave by colleagues (finished contract) but since going now HR saying i did not give enough notice and even trying to make me to come back!! took money and left!

Advice to Management

Not good for research active facultys.

Zayed University2014-09-14

"A model example of how to ruin an institution"

Current Employee - Faculty, International Studies in Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Zayed University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very difficult to find any positive things to say about ZU any longer. Some good colleagues remain who work hard under pressures but almost all the talented and younger faculty have left.

Cons

ZU has declined beyond belief in the time I have worked there. It is governed by people with no credible academic knowledge and management experience. Policies and procedures are ignored in broad daylight - especially over promotion and contract renewal. People are renewed or promoted because of their skin color or nationality or gender, not by their publications (as stated in policy). Beyond nepotism and racial... discrimination, worse of all is the culture of bullying. You completely lose any sense of self respect at ZU, let alone academic integrity. Salaries have not been competitive for some time. There is no interest in trying to improve them.

Advice to Management

I strongly advise people not to accept employment here. It will count against you later on.

Zayed University2019-11-16

"Everything is complicated"

Current Employee - Instructor in Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Zayed University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good salary and modern buildings

Cons

They enjoy ganging and complicating everything. Refunds are always so late and if you are not part of the gang you are not included in any of the overtime opportunities.

Advice to Management

Change, be transparent and stop the gangs

Zayed University2019-07-07

"avoid at all costs"

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Dubai

I have been working at Zayed University full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

some nice students, nice buildings....

Cons

Too many to mention here, have a look at previous reviews and it says it all. Hopeless management, completely authoritarian with no questions asked - please avoid if you have any sense of self-worth or an opinion on how things should be done. Your experience and knowledge is not needed here, just kowtow to the deans and you will be fine. Most good people have either left or got fired because they had the guts to... stand up and fight, those left, well they are the dregs and probably couldn't get a job with the stain on ZU on their cv. Psychology, one of the most popular majors has been completely decimated by incompetent admins, the best faculty left or are now leaving and what is left leaves much to be desired. Faculty who take on admin roles are terrified that if they return to faculty they will be fired for lack of collegiality. You seriously need to leave your morals at the door when entering the doors of ZU.

Advice to Management

I know they read this whenever there is a new review so HI! Advice: stop spending your time and energy removing bad reviews and just make ZU a better place to work... it was once a place to be proud, now it is, as one review called it Woe & Misery... if only people could give it 0 out of 5 instead of the baseline 1 perhaps the management would finally realise that people are not happy - the Emirati staff are not... happy either!

Zayed University2019-04-21