Zenefits Employee Reviews about "free food"

Updated 6 Nov 2019

4.1
Zenefits CEO Jay Fulcher
Jay Fulcher
Pros
  • "In addition to the standard free food, solid benefits, etc(in 31 reviews)

• "The people and the pace of the company attract people who are in it for the right reasons: great people doing awesome work to address a big opportunity(in 26 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "free food"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great culture and great people"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

- free food! - working with smart people - dog-friendly - flexible work hours

Cons

- early morning/late night meetings if working with Bangalore team

Zenefits2019-11-06

"Amazing work atmosphere, Free food and great employees"

Current Employee - Some Good Stuff in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, amazing opportunities, free food

Cons

Haven’t come across any for now.

Zenefits2019-02-22
  3. "Good starter job"

4.0

I have been working at Zenefits full-time

Pros

Free food/ fully stocked kitchen, young and intelligent coworkers, office space was pleasant

Cons

Heavy workload, lots of change, little direction

Zenefits2018-11-13

December 11, 2018CPO

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, as with most startup environments change is a prominent factor. As Zenefits scales and grows, the direction of the company may change but our core company values remain prevalent.

"Positive atmosphere after some rough years"

I have been working at Zenefits full-time

Pros

Complete shift in culture post rebrand. In addition to the standard free food, solid benefits, etc. there is a positive momentum in the building that I haven't felt at other companies. Definitely a company to consider for product/engineering/sales growth opportunities. Real opportunity to control a process or make a real impact that might not be available at the larger, cash cow tech firms.

Cons

Concern over future; slight bitterness in older employees who are tired of pivots and shifts

Zenefits2018-02-27

March 5, 2018CPO

Thank you for your review and we appreciate you taking the time to share this as well as all of your hard work. We're happy to have you on the team!

"The worst"

I worked at Zenefits full-time

Pros

Free food and unlimited vacation we’re the only things that kept me here. And some of my coworkers were pleasant to work with.

Cons

Inexperienced leaders were prone to making poor decisions without accountability. There was a culture of lacking trust which made it tough to work there.

Zenefits2017-10-26

November 3, 2017CPO

We are sorry your experience here was not meaningful. Thank you for the feedback.

"Working here will Kill your soul."

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Zenefits

Pros

Free Food, Good location for SF and Tempe offices.

Cons

Their attrition rate speaks for itself. I was let go after the busy season even after being complimented by the then CEO, VP of the department and the director.

Zenefits2017-05-10

July 28, 2017Vice President, Operations

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. When decisions are made at the top many factors come into play. One of them is the way it will impact all of our employees. We often have to make long term business decisions that could have negative implications in the short term. If you bear with us during our time of growth, I believe that our whole company will feel positive impact. I’d be happy to discuss any other feedback you may have. Feel free to email me directly at atiscornia@zenefits.com

"Shiny on the outside, scrambled on the inside"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of free food, though I've heard that's cut back. If you were lucky enough to get laid off, you got a nice severance. That's about it.

Cons

Work/life balance was absurd. Job stability is entirely void. Product is faulty and makes employee's jobs unreasonably difficult. Unapologetic and aggressively selfish upper management that takes advantage of its young and tech savvy employees. No way this company will make it to 2020 unless it's sold. If you do get hired here, keep in touch with recruiters at other jobs frequently because what they won't tell you is that every position is actually temporary.

Zenefits2017-04-26

April 28, 2017CPO

Zenefits is a start up. That's not the right environment for everyone. No start up has a 5 year plan. We are executing on our all-in-one HCM platform. Z2, HR1, P50 are all steps in the long term strategy. That's evidence of strategic execution one initiative at a time. Each initiative builds upon and complements the others. We have recently done a comprehensive compensation review (cash & equity from the top to the bottom of the org) and we pay market and above market for many teams.

"Customer Service"

2.0
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

So I noticed the only people who are giving this company five stars are those still employed, which btw congratulations on making it through the third cut and third CEO in one year. Also the company actually comments to those posts too (lol). - free food - the friends you meet - same as the first but I figured I'd be nice by listing another pro; cupcakes - I can't think of anything else

Cons

- management - poor execution. consistently releasing new features that don't work - average of fourteen hour workdays, some people in support work 150 hours per pay period - did I mention management? - three mass layoffs and three CEOs in one year - several other cons I can't bother listing

Zenefits2017-03-15

March 22, 2017CPO

A couple points of clarification. David Sacks took over as CEO in February 2016, after Parker Conrad left the company. (David was the COO at the time.) David led the company through 2016 under challenging circumstances, as anyone can read in the media. He also established Zenefits as the all-in-one HR platform for small business. David held the role for a year. In February 2016, David handed the CEO role over to Jay Fulcher. Jay is an experienced CEO with a background in HCM and is here to build on the foundation that David and every employee created. Yes, we did recently give employees massages and smoothies. (Paid for by the wellness allowance we receive from our benefits carrier.) The exec team also served lunch to employees. The engineering team is having a ping pong tournament. These are some of the ways in which we are demonstrating our gratitude for our employees' hard work and commitment. We will continue to appreciate and invest in our employees, including leadership and professional development.

"Wow Zenefits, just wow."

Senior Product Operations Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zenefits for more than a year

Pros

free food, although the hint waters gone, dinners every night, open floor plan and you can work where ever couches, standing desk stations, or a desk/conference room. Dogs in the office (this might have been the best part) and honestly amazing co-workers everyone cared about the success of each other and helped out anytime it was asked or not asked of them, it was a family. Direct management really cared about you, but had absolutely no power to do anything about it.

Cons

no communication between C Level and pretty much anyone who wasn't on exec, would continuously say "just hold on a little longer, or we are waiting to hear back from management, were going to find out soon, just a little longer" all the while they know whats going on and won't provide any information to the teams. They had to promote early in the life of zenefits and a lot of managers should literally never been given the responsibility of a team of employees... let alone not sure how they got through college alive. It used to be a work hard play hard mentality but it turned into this really uncomfortable, uneasy, have no idea of what the purpose or goals are company. Not to mention they hired a HUGE class of benefit advisers and go through a company reorg, promise all employees RSU's and then fire 90% of them right before they are able to vest any of those shares... seems sketch to me... also office management...What happened there? Used to be fun and engaging and now the people on that team are like bitter and power hungry... throwing away peoples dog toys and bowls, and not allowing photos of family members or balls in the office, removing the bean bags because they aren't professional... HELLO we are a STARTUPPP and we work 18 hours days give us a break... why don't you go do something and stock healthier options in the kitchen... what do you even do?? Also one more all hands talking about how we overcame our obstacles and righted our wrong with the insurance industry sector when they would never address the elephants in the room... whats going on with our company?!?! Don't even get me on the culture survey... same results if not worse year over year and the exces are surprised! .. wait seriously yes they are surprised.... then there's a presentation on how they are going to put some processes in place to fix it... how do you fix employees who's answer to the question: "Do you have faith in upper management and exces?" was "I Flat Out Don't Trust You/Them?".... Answer: "We're working on that..." sheesh Get it together... at least Parker was honest with the teams and really kept to transparency. Now its like hide and seek to see if we can try to stumble across any fragment of the reality of whats going on at zenefits.

Zenefits2017-03-23

March 29, 2017Vice President

We understand your frustration with the many changes Zenefits has undergone. You are right, we have suffered through many growing pains in the last 18 months and admittedly these growing pains were self inflicted. I can assure you as a member of the Zenefits Executive Team, our new CEO is committed to transparency, our core values, and Zenefits’ mission to create a digital HR platform that helps harness and empower every company’s greatest asset - its people. I would also like to clarify one specific comment about moving away from “being a broker” - on the contrary we are committed to making it even easier for companies to use Zenefits by being broker agnostic. Thanks for your feedback.

"Account Manager"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Dedicated people who want to make a difference for the company and for their clients. People are extremely smart and care about one another. Free food, snacks, ect. Catered lunches and unlimited PTO

Cons

Extremely hard work/life balance Stressful environment with little collaboration from upper management Treats employees badly despite their hard work

Zenefits2017-02-26

March 8, 2017Director, HR

Thank you for recognizing our highly dedicated, smart, and caring employees. YES! I'd also like to hear more about your concerns, so please reach out to me directly if you'd like to share further.

Found 31 reviews