Zeno Group Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.1
Zeno Group Chief Executive Officer Barby K. Siegel
Barby K. Siegel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "great place to work, great culture, supportive teams members" (in 5 reviews)

• "Commitment to the company culture taken seriously" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance is HARD and the work is draining because it never actually stops" (in 13 reviews)

• "It's necessary from time-to-time to put in some long hours to get the job done and you also have to juggle multiple client needs at the same time" (in 6 reviews)

1. "The place to be right now"

I have been working at Zeno Group full-time

Pros

Growth in a challenging market means something is going well. Great new client wins, awards and a cool culture. This is the place to be right now. Leadership has settled of late and the new look office, flexible working and creative first approach is fresh and inspiring.

Cons

Always a fast pace which doesn’t suit everyone.

Advice to Management

Great job in freshening things up.

2. "Work / life balance? No."

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Zeno Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location and a good group of clients.

Cons

Senior managers dump new projects on juniors without explaining things properly, and then get aggy when something is overlooked. Seems to be whoever shouts the loudest wins favour with management, whilst others may have skills which could be, are generally are, overlooked. If you're not in with the 'cool kids', you're out pretty much. Think you can leave on time at 5:30? If you want to feel like you've murdered someone then yeah go ahead.

30 Jul 2018 – Chief Talent Officer

It’s disappointing to hear that this is your experience and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you. Please feel free to reach out to @Green, Ian at London HR. The introduction of... More

"Know what you are getting into"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Zeno Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the people were lovely. A lot of people were really motivated and knew their stuff. The list of clients is fantastic and the freebies in the office were great.

Cons

There were individuals whose behaviour was aggressive and inappropriate. Concerns had been raised before, yet had been hushed up and weren't communicated to the senior management team. When I flagged their behaviour, I was blamed for causing it and trying to stir up trouble.

The hours were very long. Every day was a 10 hour day and there were consecutive days where I worked until 12am. When I raised this to a senior member of the team, they responded by saying "Well if that's the way you prefer to work." Sadly it seemed like junior members of the team were always the ones with the heaviest workload, while more senior managers left on time.

This could have just been my experience of the particular team I was working with and the individuals within it, but I have worked in other agencies and this was REALLY BAD.

Advice to Management

Support your staff. Make sure they are happy and don't overwork them. Its not rocket science.

"Sad but true"

Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England
    Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England

I worked at Zeno Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In theory, there’s a thing called freedom Friday, where people can leave at 3pm on the first Friday of the month. Emphasis on “in theory”

Cons

The team culture is virtually non-existent, except for the one day in a fortnight that you try to leave on time, when it exists to make you feel guilty for doing so. I never left before 6.30/7.00 on ‘Freedom Friday’. What does exist, is a culture of who can work the hardest, and who can generate the most unnecessary nonsense to add to our already stretched workloads.

10/11 hour days are the norm and 12/13 hour days are a semi regular occurrence too, so I was in a peculiar position of working harder than many of my friends in the city, but getting paid half as much.

The email culture was totally out of control; close to 400 a day was normal, and I was told by my manager that I should be reading every last one of them - coming back from a 5 day holiday made this impossible, but the attitude stood firm.

There is absolutely no culture. No banter. No music. Everyone is too heavily worked to do anything than stay fixated on their computer screens. The office looks like something akin to Wolf of Wall Street, it’s that sterile.

Finally, with hindsight, my time was so consumed by unnecessary nonsense work that I rarely did any actual PR work (press releases, comment etc.), instead it was full of writing reports and putting together presentations of how good we were and what a fantastic job we’d done for the client.

Advice to Management

Sorry for being so negative. From what I’ve heard, some of the best and brightest are leaving. People are thinking with their feet; you’d be wise to heed this and make some serious changes.

5. "3 Monkeys | Zeno"

Former Employee - Designer in London, England
    Former Employee - Designer in London, England

I worked at Zeno Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Client benefits were a pro with the people that worked there being fun too.

Cons

Work life balance wasnt great

Advice to Management

For senior management to listen to ways to improve processes.

6. "A good start!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Zeno Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've recently started in the London office and...so far so good! Love the atmosphere and culture. You're encouraged to be your authentic self (which is very rare in most agencies). The senior team are inspiring - infact there are plenty of people to be inspired by at most levels across the departments. Whilst you won't leave at 5:30 everyday (note to previous reviews, this doesn't happen at any agency in the world!) they do make every effort to get you out the door when it can be helped...which it can't always be, we are in a client service industry after all. Lots of opportunities to get involved and grow. Overall, great first few months here...I've made a good choice.

Cons

Nothing major so far, just normal teething problems when two companies merge and an agency grows so quickly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing, encouraging fearlessness and riding that merger wave.

"Not a happy ship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Zeno Group (More than a year)

Pros

I always got paid on time.

You get good brand experience on your CV.

Cons

An incredibly weak and dysfunctional leadership team means that nothing gets done, communication is terrible and there is no team spirit whatsoever.

It's not uncommon for freelancers to work for a day and not return because they just cannot deal with the atmosphere and unrealistic workload.

Levels of sickness and absenteeism are incredibly high but senior management don't seem to think this is an issue.

Junior people struggle to learn anything because there's really nobody to learn from.

High numbers of people are leaving and client work suffers as a result.

Advice to Management

Figure out who is leading the business and get them to take full responsibility for the company and its people.

27 Jun 2017 – SVP Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your time at 3 Monkeys Zeno. We are a growing agency and as such, the culture is dynamic and fast-paced. 3 Monkeys Zeno is committed to being an outstanding... More

"A brutal but honest review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I have been working at Zeno Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are nice and if you’re friendly with the right people you’re safe.

You get some big brands on your CV and get to work on big budget ideas.

There are some benefits but they’re not communicated widely, so a lot of people are unaware of them e.g. personal allowance to learn a skill, free dinner following working late, a taxi home if you’re working really late, eyewear voucher, life/health insurance.

There’s also this thing called Freedom Friday, whereby you can leave at 3pm on the first Friday of the month - and Summer Fridays, leaving at 2pm every Friday has just been introduced. (It’s a nice idea, but rarely does anyone have the chance to take advantage of it).

Cons

Resourcing here is terrible. Every Monday the board and senior members of the teams (associate directors and senior account directors) get together for a chin wag to plan the week ahead. Something that is a waste of senior time as nothing is communicated down, and everyone over services anyway. Clients who pay a huge amount have a tiny team - it’s very top heavy, I think there’s only 2 JAE’s and a handful of AE/SAE’s across the consumer/corporate/health practices.

People here tend to work 10hr days on average - but you can find yourself working working around 11-13hr days and the board don't bat an eyelid.

Some people are on a number of huge accounts and are being pulled in every way possible. Deadlines are super-tight, with short notices or push back from managers. Teams are too stretched resulting in people working late to execute ideas to the full effect.

Faces are disappearing, but nobody new is joining. Over the last few months it feels like someone has left every other week, and they still have not been replaced (surely that’s what a notice period is for?!), so the pressure is placed upon those remaining.

Don’t make social plans during the weekday. You will need to fight with your managers throughout the day to leave on time (5.30pm), pushing back to them, and even then you won’t leave on time.

There is no thinking time here. Proactive media pitching is impossible when you don’t even have time to leave your desk to go to the toilet.

Culture has disappeared and it’s lost the family feeling. Before the merger with Zeno, agency culture at 3 Monkeys was naturally positive. People got on very well, leading to great team work and results being achieved for clients. Pods used to do creative tasks set by the creative director, and take actually take part in TMIF (Thank Monkey It’s Friday) ideas. Today, everyone is so overworked and exhausted they don't care for it. It’s a lot of forced fun, and nobody has any time to do anything but work non-stop, so this has phased out.

The office is boring. All you hear are keyboards tapping. No music, no office chatter. The overall design and look and feel is antique and beige, natural lighting is poor and overall integration amongst practices is non-existent.

The list goes on - in short, it feels like this agency is falling apart and people are jumping ship.

Advice to Management

Resource the teams better so there is a less stressful vibe, and people actually have time to think for their clients.

13 Jun 2017

Thank you for the candid feedback. Across Zeno and 3 Monkeys Zeno we strive to be the agency of choice for the boldest and brightest talent. In living up to that goal, we’d like an opportunity to... More

9. "Entrepreneurial Spirit"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Paris (France)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Paris (France)

I have been working at Zeno Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart energetic people who care about their customers

Cons

Too much "forgiveness" of people who don't do their part

Advice to Management

Focus more on the people who consistently deliver

"Challenged industry struggling with uncertainties"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Zeno Group full-time

Pros

I am lucky to work in a talented and collaborative team
    Good views in the office

Cons

Industry is far behind when it comes to tech
    Lack infrastructure or resources to succeed
    None or counterproductive IT support
    Unprofessional office administration (constantly missing personal items)
    No transparency
    Favoritism

Advice to Management

Invest in talent and infrastructure or be left behind by time.