Zoopla Reviews

Updated 8 Jun 2020

3.9
Zoopla CEO Charlie Bryant (no image)
Charlie Bryant
Pros
  • "great benefits package on offer(in 11 reviews)

• "ZPG are a very supportive company and continue to grow(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "ZPG was bought by an outside investor (Silver Lake) just over a year ago and that's brought with it new ways of doing things(in 9 reviews)

• "No one likes to battle trains in and out of Waterloo(in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great mix of trust, autonomy and responsibility"

Current Employee - Quality Automation Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Zoopla full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's been a real focus these last 12 months on hiring and retaining people who love their job. I am surrounded by talented people and there's a really good collaborative atmosphere. I feel comfortable walking up to anyone's desk and asking if they have a minute to help, and they feel comfortable saying yes or saying no depending on their workload. That people will say no when they don't have time really helps me feel like I'm not putting pressure on them if I ask for advice. We work in scrum teams and each team is fully responsible for their parts of the platform. We have input into our business goals and targets, we work with our embedded PO and BAs to come up with a backlog to meet those goals. We have design, UX, front-end, back-end and quality engineers all working together. Because all the work we're doing is the work we decided needed to be done to meet the goals we helped set, everyone is on board and focused and enthusiastic. I have opportunities to research new technologies and learn while on the job. We recently added automated visual testing to our pipeline because we thought it would add business value. I had great support from my team and from management to investigate how it would work, create a proof of concept and then present the finding to the wider dev team. That's not an uncommon event which stands out for its rarity, it's the kind of thing people here are doing all the time. Another thing worth pointing out, they genuinely care about your mental health here. We have a lot of different support services and vectors for asking for help. We have full-company buy-in on the importance of mental health and resilience. People are actively encouraged from working late, we've had trained CBT professionals come in and give talks and run workshops. We're given access to a 24/7/365 helpline with trained counsellors that we can call anonymously for anything and the information on who used it is not available to anyone working at ZPG.

Cons

There has been a lot of change in the last year and it's been hard to keep focus at times. ZPG was bought by an outside investor (Silver Lake) just over a year ago and that's brought with it new ways of doing things. But those changes are what got us where we are now. Things have settled and I'm really happy with where we ended up.

December 11, 2019Talent Partner

What a thoughtful review! We're so appreciative of the time you spent putting together your feedback and it's even more pleasing to hear you're enjoying the challenges that life at Zoopla offers. You're so correct on your point around change - if you look at our history change really is the only constant. Our adaptability as a business is why we've managed to become so successful. However, the hard work isn't over and we're as excited as you about the future, with such an amazing opportunity ahead to re-imagine the property industry. Keep up the great work!

"When Agile really means Agile"

Current Employee - Head of Talent Acquisition in London, England

I have been working at Zoopla full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

During these current unprecedented times this is when you see people and organisation's true colors. There are the ones who say their people are important and then do nothing to support them. And then there are the ones who with innovative and truly agile ways of working re-imagine the working day/week/month - adapt their strategy to protect and enhance their company performance and objectives and do so many new things to support their colleagues - I am happy to say that Zoopla falls into the latter category. Not only did the CEO and Exec have the foresight to close all our offices a week before the Government lock down they have come up with a wealth of virtual meetings, company updates, virtual Gym classes, mindfulness sessions, assistance for parents working at home and home schooling, remote onboarding for new starters - to date we have remotely onboarded 22 new people - some of which have never been face to face with their teams and managers as well as virtual Company inductions for those new starters - all of which have been so well received. Our CEO Charlie Bryant hosts twice weekly drop in Zoom session where all 600+ of us can ask direct questions and get direct answers from the Execs. It is not over yet of course but the fact that we are constantly adding to the new ways of working and supporting all of our "Zoopligans" is a reminder that we work for an amazing business and with amazing people. As someone who is responsible for bringing new talent into the business all of this makes my job that bit easier. While we are all remote right now - we have never felt more collaborative .

Cons

People not realizing they are on mute at the beginning of a meeting :)

Continue reading

"Fantastic place to work..... If you want to be treated like a 5 year old"

2.0
    Former Employee - Internal Sales

I worked at Zoopla full-time

Pros

Great Location Breakfast/Coffee Free Gym Horrible treatment from management makes you bond colleagues Good name on your CV

Cons

The issue with Zoopla is simple.... Management. Never have I worked at a place where everything you do is micromanaged, by a manager who feels everything is 'your fault' and not the other way round. Mentally it became draining coming in to work knowing I would be on the receiving end of a manager's microaggressions. From being told to 'shut up' constantly, to threats that phones would be confiscated and given back at the end of the working day it felt like I was in primary school all over again, which again was very draining. Although contracted to work until 17.30, management would keep employees back after work against their will to keep selling products that DO NOT WORK! The professionalism at Zoopla in Internal Sales is absolutely awful! Customers are continually lied to, scammed and unfairly coerced to purchasing products that don't work and don't need by sales executives who are just following the manager's orders. I have seen a manager dodge customers call for 2 months straight because 'they did not want to deal with it.' I have seen this same manager pass on customer complaints that directly involve him to other sales executives again because they could not be bothered. When this continually happens there is no wonder why you lose faith in your manager, hence why the turnover at Zoopla is high. New starters immediately sense this and plan their exit strategy because the atmosphere is absolutely toxic. I can't stress how much this affected my mental health as you didn't know what mood your manager would be in. Your whole team would be called into a 'meeting' and your team knew you would just get berated for 10 mins and then released to get back to work. The positive reviews you see on Glassdoor are not real. Management sends emails asking employees to put positive reviews on Glassdoor to help the company look good. The Peakon scores are fake also. I have seen a manager go round and politely threaten his team to leave a good score to make him look good. No one has ever left a genuine peakon review out of fear of being ostracized/unfairly treated at work. How can you generate a positive working environment like this?

"Caution"

Current Employee - Manager in London, England

I have been working at Zoopla full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice office in good location

Cons

very poor communication between teams

"Doesn't see the worth of its employees"

Former Employee - Marketing in London, England

I worked at Zoopla full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall the business has a genuine opportunity to disrupt the market, I believe in the overarching direction of the business and really enjoyed what we were trying to achieve there for our clients. There were some very passionate and talented people there that shared the vision and wanted to build something better.

Cons

There has been a very clear campaign by senior staff members to dispose of staff that existed prior to the acquisition through undermining employees' knowledge, experience and credentials. Rather than nurture and educate existing employees, the leadership made it very clear they wanted them gone, in any way possible. Many faced varying forms of bullying, discrimination and unprofessional 360 reviews that read more as character assassinations than constructive feedback. As such, many with real talent have left, either of their own accord because they realised they deserved better from an employer, or because they were shown the door. There was never really any career progression or recognition for good work. All businesses inherently should have values that employees live and breathe by, but when Zoopla unveiled the new ones it became very apparent that they could be twisted by management as they saw fit to get rid of people that didn't fit the corporate mould. Employees with knowledge, passion for the business and who were able to deliver great results (Even in periods of difficult transition) were swapped out for those able to 'talk the talk', without having little substance to what they say. Those who might be nice to your face would happily step over you if it enabled them to further their own career. Zoopla was once a business that championed people who were able to bring something different to the table, but it is now just an echo chamber for those speaking the same pointless marketing language, void of any real meaning or depth. Management in the business is now style over substance - those outside of the inner clique of department heads can see that the style isn't all that great either. Gone are the days when entrepreneurialism within teams was actively encouraged - this is now replaced with endless strategy planning that kills good ideas before they can even come to fruition. If you want to be disruptive and innovative you need to support those who can look at things differently. When it came to supporting mental health, the HR team did a great job in promoting initiatives across the business, but this was not reflected in management who consistently lacked empathy, emotion and humanity. If you want to join a business where you want to be treated like school children and have to stay in your lane, then Zoopla could be for you. But if you want to be valued as an individual, you should look elsewhere.

May 15, 2020Talent Partner

We’re pleased that you saw some positives about the direction the company is taking and in some of your colleagues. That said it’s a shame you have so many bad memories of your time here. I hope you raised the negative experiences you highlighted with your line manager or the HR team as this is far from the experience we want people to have at Zoopla and such feedback is always useful to ensure we are keeping on the right track. Your former team’s recent Peakon scores showed strong results for engagement, opportunities to grow and the ability of the management team to communicate well with employees, so it's disappointing that your experience with the company didn’t match that. We hope in your new role you have found a workplace more suited to you and wish you every success for the future.

"Great culture and exciting challenges ahead!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Zoopla full-time for less than a year

Pros

- There is a real opportunity to change the way the real estate market currently is at. - Zoopla really care about personal growth & development and you truly feel 100% supported and listened to. You get a training budget as well as many internal resources. - The cooperage office in London, truly is amazing! Plenty of greenery and we even have a gym and a place to lock your bike! We also have an in-house barista, Seb, who will always put a small on your face!

Cons

I've yet to experience anything negative.

7. "Good company to work for....even better if you're in London"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

I have been working at Zoopla full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits and pay especially for the area we are in. Flexible and fair when staff need time out for children and appointments. They do seem to want to make your working life as good as possible and do seem to care about staffs mental health.

Cons

Being in a remote office we do not receive all the benefits we would if we were in London. They seem very reluctant to promote from within unless you are London based. Currently there is a massive recruitment push, when in our office there are multiple staff who could fill these roles and would love a new opportunity. Being a tech company, location should not be a barrier for employees progression.

Continue reading
  8. "Great people and exciting challenges!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Zoopla full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Friday social hosted in our in-house Cafe and lots of drinks - good way to unwind. - Gym - A few health benefits, discounts and store cards, - The location is nice (Tower Bridge), especially great during the summer. - Flexibility to work remotely when necessary - Games room huge sofa PS4, Xbox and two arcade machines. And pool table :) - Did I mention the location... - Nice featured but practical use rooms (Zoopla of course), break out areas and a Library which is good when you need peace and quiet. - Free breakfast and afternoon snacks. - Generally friendly atmosphere. - Using some newer technologies and solving new and interesting problems.

Cons

Gym is a bit small but yay we have a Gym!

"Incompetent management in marketing"

Marketing in London, England

I worked at Zoopla

Pros

Free gym, breakfast and snacks

Cons

Very clicky team in senior management marketing with decisions being made overnight on a whim. One being to 'restructure' teams which involved a complete role change despite joining the company on a different role a month before. Campaigns are poorly executed and junior members of team often near breaking point wondering what they're roles are. Friends of senior management are promoted within 3 months of joining under no clear promotion path that is accessible to other team members. Toxic environment, very little to learn, incompetent management in marketing. They do not like to listen to ideas. One of the worst experiences in my career. Avoid this toxic team and place like the plague.

May 15, 2020Talent Partner

While it's nice to hear you enjoyed the office environment, it’s such a shame you felt you had a bad experience of life at Zoopla. We want our people to love coming into work so I hope you raised these thoughts and highlighted them with your line manager or to the HR team, as we are always taking on board feedback and such comments are always helpful in ensuring we are crafting the best workplace possible.. We regularly ask our colleagues about their experiences at Zoopla via our anonymous survey tool, Peakon. It’s really surprising to hear some of your comments, as the data from the survey suggests that the majority of your former team members not only feel highly engaged and that their opinions matter, but they also feel the management team is proficient and communicates well. We’re really sorry that you didn’t feel the same way, but we wish you all the best for the future and hope your new role is a better fit.

10. "Excellent culture and great, positive changes ahead"

Current Employee - Engineering Lead in London, England

I have been working at Zoopla full-time for less than a year

Pros

- company open culture - great people - a lot of technology transformation ongoing - great benefits package on offer - the offices are uber-cool When you get into the office in the morning, you are welcomed by the smiling people at the front desk, then you continue up the stairs next to a wall of well-catered for plants, you pass a wall of fame of people who had decided to stay 5 years or longer. Once you reach your team, you are met with smiling people, ready to solve the next business problem and to create value. You just can't get unmotivated in such an environment.

Cons

- a lot of software is written in a very messy, rushed way and requires re-engineering - people who had left, left a lot of problems behind them

Found 119 reviews