Zuto Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Zuto CEO James Wilkinson
James Wilkinson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No growth or career progression (in 3 reviews)

• The benefits package needs to be improved and Macclesfield office facilities need improving (in 3 reviews)

1. "Still a great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Sales in Macclesfield, England
    Current Employee - Sales in Macclesfield, England

I have been working at Zuto full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a great opportunity to earn good money if you apply yourself correctly at Zuto. Although there has been many changes to the commission structure over the past 12 months, the bottom line is money can be earned provided you work hard and work smart.

Fast paced and exciting office atmosphere. This won't be everyone's cup of tea but if you like lively offices with a range of personalities this a great place to work.

Your opinion will be listened to. The majority of management and senior management are very approachable and are happy to listen to new ideas from anybody to improve the company.

Variety in the role. Although as sales, your role is desk based and on the phone all day, you speak to a vast range of people and dealers about different cars and the variety keeps the job interesting.

Sociable. Zuto can throw some great office parties when the company has performed well. There are usually great stories to be heard afterwards!

Cons

Weekend, bank holidays and evening shifts. This is the nature of the beast unfortunately. For the company to succeed, it is essential for it to be open long hours so there isn't much Zuto can do about this.

Too lenient towards under-performers. Zuto offers every employee a chance and rightly so. However there have been occasions where consistent under-performers have gone unpunished. This can inadvertently affect stronger performers.

Career progression. There are plenty of opportunities to apply for a different role at Zuto. However, they are often sidewards steps or not financially viable.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Keep communicating the companies targets regularly. Keep listening to us. Keep looking after the staff and we'll look after the customers!

2. "Amazing company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macclesfield, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macclesfield, England

I have been working at Zuto full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic working environment, fast paced, fun and if you are highly driven and motivated you will be very well rewarded for your hard work! I have worked at Zuto for over 5 years and never wake up dreading that I have to go to work. They offer competitive rates of pay, great benefits and the majority of new roles are filled from within meaning real career progression is there for you if you are prepared to earn it. Finally and what I love the most is that at Zuto we don't stand on ceremony, both the CEO and senior management are not just approachable but spend their time embedded within the work force and actively encourage input from everyone, experienced members of staff all the way through to the newest face through the door, because they are passionate about making Zuto the very best it can be! I have seen changes made that didn't pan out the way they were planned but one thing is for sure, James and the people closest to him are not afraid to admit when something isn't working and find a better way which for me is all you can ask for from your boss!

Cons

The office can get warm in the height of the summer but Zuto does have a relaxed dress code to make staff more comfortable (normally business casual but on really hot days further dress down is permitted)

3. "Honest company who reward hard work."

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Macclesfield, England
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Macclesfield, England

I worked at Zuto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Zuto has a great culture with an open door approach from senior management. The pay is highly competitive for the industry and they do reward those who work hard.

Cons

There is some negativity from a few people who have been with the company a while who have struggled to accept change.

Advice to Management

A few extra facilities at Winterton House would be nice, especially air conditioning in summer. Other than that, keep up the good work

"The companies culture died with Car Loan 4 U"

Former Employee - Sales in Macclesfield, England
    Former Employee - Sales in Macclesfield, England

I worked at Zuto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some genuinely good people who work there
    Wilks is a good guy who cares about the company / people (or seems to)

Cons

Most good people have left
    Changing to 'Zuto' which has no meaning or association with car finance
    Changing weekend hours
    Changing comms structure
    Too much about who you know
    Very little progression
    All about the money
    Job needs very little skill

Advice to Management

I really think you have missed the opportunity to save it, you have ruined a good thing

6. "Amazing company to work for!"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Macclesfield, England
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Macclesfield, England

I have been working at Zuto part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I used to work for a small convenience store which I hated, and after all my hours were cut, I was very worried about my career options. I was very keen to work and I wanted to have a job I could be proud of, but my lack of experience was all employers would see.
    I got an interview at Zuto and fortunately they were looking for personal traits and values and more who I am rather than what I looked like on paper. They gave me an opportunity and I am working hard in appreciation of that, and now I’m settled in to the company I can appreciate the situation even more as I have landed in a company that genuinely does care about and respect it’s staff and appreciates hard work. I genuinely enjoy working here and would absolutely recommend applying.
    In the seven weeks I’ve been working here my life has improved so much, from working in jobs where I wasn’t appreciated or respected, to being part of a vibrant company that not only values it’s staff but also invests time in helping them achieve their goals and in my case achieving a promotion. I’m over the moon to have a workplace where I see a great future in.

Cons

Nothing I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Takeshi's Castle"

Former Employee - Insurance
    Former Employee - Insurance

I worked at Zuto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- ,Most of the people you work with are decent

- Bright office with good facilities

- Impressive internal stock search of cars and verified dealer network

- Good partnerships with AutoTrader, Gumtree and Piston Heads

Cons

- Location is awkward especially if you don't drive

- Training and Development are non existent,

- It's not a £35k OTE working a 40hr week. Overtime is expected.

- Has the atmosphere and morale of a sweatshop.

- Quality/Quantity of applications.

- No gaurateed commission while in training.

- Management are disingenuous.

The last 12 months at Zuto have been comical to say the least. This company has lost all sense of direction, taking ownership and how to manage expectations. I can only echo some of the reviews on here. Zuto promise so much and yet delivers so little.

Constantly changing commissions and goal posts. Zuto are not interested in rewarding hard work and consistent top performances. Some days felt like coming to work at Takeshi's Castle the amount of obstacles you had to overcome just to get paid commission. Most people I know are looking for new jobs. I'm glad to see the back of Zuto, wasted nothing but time and money in lost commissions for solid performances waiting for them to get their act together.

Management are inept out of their depth and are fresh out of ideas on how to turn things around. As is so often the case, when the proverbial hits the fan, people get found out and go AWOL.

Automated/Fixed pricing was a disaster, they haven't moved at all as a business and consistently miss targets and are doing less revenue/paid out deals than 12 months ago, The next 6 months are going to be a massive challenge both internally and externally. One's they wont meet.

As for all these reviews that disapprove of the changes but approve of the CEO don't make sense. The company is in the mess it is because the CEO has taken his eye of the ball. He's let people weasel their way into positions they shouldn't be in or have been placed there. Far too many layers in management. Every one is a 'Head of' something

Constantly wasting money on useless tech and vanity projects because you can have the best tech in the world but if your not generating revenue, it's pointless. So It's hard to have sympathy, as this whole situation is one of their own making.

If the investors, SEP think they will make returns of £500m on a £9m investment like the SkyScanner investment, you're probably backing the wrong horse in Zuto. It;s hard to see where that £12m investment has gone. I genuinely don't see how Zuto has separated itself from competitors

Advice to Management

Erm, how about you earn your coin and figure it out? Because time, money and your limited amount of talent is fast running out.

"Loved Car Loan 4U, Hate Zuto"

Current Employee - Car Buying Expert in Macclesfield, England
    Current Employee - Car Buying Expert in Macclesfield, England

I have been working at Zuto full-time

Pros

Upon joining CL4U, it was easy to acknowledge and appreciate an unique, exciting work place. With low staff turnover, the office was vibrant and the position was most rewarding. You knew and believed, this could become the company you’ll work for the rest of your life. with the company growing and positions created, there was a real possibility of developing a career here.

Targets were easily achievable, rewarded with generous bonuses and had frequent incentives. Morale never fainted. You could only be grateful, for allowing you to be apart of this ‘family.’ To a huge extent, I’am. Management at the time, were approachable and listened. You cannot reiterate that sentence for many companies. I owe apart of my life to CL4U.

But then came along the investment and the rebranding. The love affair with CL4U was over…

Cons

Zuto was launched, the yellow shirts were dished out, with the word ‘Zutonite’ printed on the back. The yellow army was deployed, ready to conquer the car finance market. . Ordered to the battlefield, with little ammo, tanks with no fuel and planes with no wings. All hope was lost but then Head of culture was deployed...... Unfortunately been MIA from day 1.

The Zutonites were stood still, with their ‘Johnson's’ in the wind. The inadequate and incompetent marketing department and the costly TV ad, a complete failure. Wasting money on useless referrals. Zuto failed to innovate and separate us from the competition.

A Sales company with no sales training, only focusing on call stats. It’s obvious management are clueless. Company target hasn’t been achieved for some time, with morale at a all time low but ignored.

Lack of respect for some Team Leaders is evident. Some are out of their depth in a parking lot puddle and have delusions of adequacy. Stand close to one and you can hear the brain cells ‘popping’ , depriving a village somewhere, of an idiot.

When I hear the word ‘Zutonite’, I visualise a number or being part of the furniture.

Zuto has reached rock bottom, and has started to dig.

Advice to Management

Pointless, feedback isn't taken seriously

"Offers so much, delivers so little"

Pros

It honestly can't think of a pro. If I wrote this review 2/3 years ago it would be a different story. I think the majority of staff have fallen out of love for Zuto as it has been on the decline since the investment/name change/Mcr office happened.

Cons

No air con - unrealistic targets (60% of staff dont earn any commission) - no culture (everyone bangs on about how it used to be which makes it even worse!) - absolutely no room for progression - regular redundancies - lack of praise for good work.

Advice to Management

Why?

"It's all changed"

I worked at Zuto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

90% of the staff are genuinely great people.
    Transparent management.
    CEO is a top bloke who will always take a minute to talk to you.

Cons

Since the investment came in its all about 1 thing. Money money money. Nothing else seems to matter to anyone in management anymore. It seems to me because now the senior leaders (great people btw) aren't their own bosses it's all gone pear shaped. It's like everyone is under so much pressure from the top down. I loved this company when I first started nothing could've been better. Now it's just turning into every other sales job I've had.

Advice to Management

Don't demand more sales when adequate leads aren't being supplied.

"The fall of Zuto"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Macclesfield, England
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Macclesfield, England

I have been working at Zuto full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tough one this Question... I'll say none anymore

Cons

They've completed lost all knowledge and function on how to look after staff. One by one we're all leaving. With the quality and low number of applications per advisor, they expect you to harass customers. This long term will have negative consequences.

It can no longer say it is a fun, dynamic and rewarding place to work. They are in complete denial and the longer they continue down this dark path of denial. The worst it'll become. Don't believe what you see, when advertising positions you can earn 35k OTE. To earn this, you'll need to do overtime. This is after they increased Weekend hours. With zero perks and most importantly, zero prospects you'll be better off else where.

Advice to Management

No point in this as they don't listen, they even switched off TINYPULSE, a survey webpage where you can give feedback. There is a Rumour, that they switched it off as staff would giving very negative feedback and they couldn't handle it