Zuto Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Zuto CEO James Wilkinson
James Wilkinson

Pros
Cons
  • The benefits package needs to be improved and Macclesfield office facilities need improving (in 3 reviews)

• A recent senior appointment in Manchester office has been disastrous (in 3 reviews)

1. "Love it! <3"

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Manchester, England

I have been working at Zuto full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CEO and senior management are fantastic! They are always bobbing about around the office and have an open door policy. The tech that is coming out for us is absolutely brilliant!

Cons

There is still some dead weight that needs removing. Also there isn't much in terms of progression, after getting rid of all assistant team leaders, people who worked hard got put back to where they were or had the option to leave. We could do with having more benefits.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture going and get rid of the unneeded dead weight. Run tech through the people who are using it before it's made live so any unnecessary stress is reduced. Also more fruit baskets (they were ace!)

"Sales"

I have been working at Zuto full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people to work with head of sales very approachable, get pizza once every 4 months, car park facility and easy job if you get the correct amount of apps

Cons

They fail to deliver month on month ! All done on on app distribution you don't get a fair crack of the apps to hit your target, commission structure has changed and was awful and will probably get worse and worse you HAVE to work every weekend to hit target and get anywhere near the amount of apps per month to get near your target. Wouldn't trust certain managers as far as I can throw them they'll stab you in the back at the first opportunity. Countless people searching for other new jobs, people get took in rooms and you never seen them again very worrying and unnerving for the whole floor.

Advice to Management

Be fair on app distribution coming in to 2 apps per day and then moaning that your conversion and sales isn't up to what you expect when you flood people with 30 apps a day.. doesn't make business sense as the people who get flooded with the apps cherry pick the apps as they have that many! Numbers game you give someone 30 apps a day I'd expect my 10 year old daughter to convert some of them! 2 apps a day when both are incorrect numbers is very de moralising and un fair !!!!

"Why fix something that is not broken........."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macclesfield, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macclesfield, England

Pros

The company had so much going for it, they seemed untouchable, No.1 in the market place, excellent understanding of where they wanted to be and what they wanted to achieve.... they looked after staff, they gave the staff freedom to express themselves, this was not your normal telesales enviroment, no chains at the desks, so long as you did your figures per month you were left alone.....then....

Cons

Then they got external investment, so had someone to report to other than themselves, they changed name of the business from Carloan4u to Zuto, the customer demographic we had as business did not understand the name change, from something so simple and straighforward to something of no relevance, the TV advert might have won industry awards but it did not strike at the heart of the consumers, then panic sets in becuase numbers were falling the following year panic changes in all areas of the business were made, but they just could not report correctly on what changes actually worked because there were to many changes in a short time frame...
    People were put in positions they had no experiance in, but so long as their face fitted.....the middle management teams seemed totally disallusioned by it all....

Advice to Management

Both guys are nice and friendly, they were available if needed, open door policy, but boy were mistakes made and still are from all accounts, they focused so much on the culture they wanted the business to have, they neglected the fundamentals of being owners of such a good business, 1 - dont bite the hand that feeds you 2 - the culture is not the be all and end all, you needed to move on from this 3 - actions speak louder than words 4 - if you ask for feedback expect some criticism

10 Mar 2017 – The Engagement Team

Thank you for leaving a review. At Zuto we still pride ourselves as not being the usual telesales environment and this is evident in not having strict rules about being at desks and Zutonites have ... More

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in Macclesfield, England

I have been working at Zuto full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice working environment and really good people to work with. It can be a very fun place to work and it is good when the company is busy.

Cons

They over promise and under deliver every single month!! They say we will get loads of applications and they never arrive so we cant do as well and make as many sales as we want to. I would stay well away if thinking of getting a job at Zuto as it seems to be slidding down a very slippery slope.

Advice to Management

Put your money into getting applications and more custom instead of stupid tech that makes no difference the company and the people that use it. There are rumours of everything going automated too and that you are trialling a product that allows customers to go from start to finish without speaking to a sales advisor!! Is this where our apps are going? Are our jobs even safe?? Redundancies again??

10 Mar 2017 – The Engagement Team

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review about your time here. We’re proud of our unique working environment and it’s good to know you enjoy our belief of making it a fun place to work. As ... More

"Never boring!"

Current Employee - Developer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Developer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Zuto (More than a year)

Pros

I've learned loads since coming here - perhaps even something new every day. I have NEVER woken up thinking "I don't want to go in today".

We do scrum properly (at least compared to my previous employers). We have great technology leads that listen to input/feedback from all developers and we constantly look for improvements in process and technology. Everyone has a chance to contribute and make a difference. We're passionate about technology.

We care about our customers. How many finance firms can say that (and keep a straight face!)?

Cons

Some people have been let go during my time here, but any business worth working for is only interested in pushing forward and growing, so can't carry those that don't believe in the business vision or keep up with its progress.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Keep trying to hire the best talent. Keep improving life for your staff and your customers.

"Love working here, want it to imrpove"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Zuto (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at Zuto, recently It’s been a bit shaky but I want it to get better because I genuinely love my job here. I feel valued.

- Amazing people, I really love the people I work with.
    - 80% of my work in the last 12 months has been on greenfield projects and this looks true for the next 6 months.
    - Company vision for the future looks really good. Lots of cool/interesting projects coming up. This means lots to learn for young engineers like myself.
    - Two owners are really nice guys, very approachable we love them.
    - Manchester office has a great social scene. Most Fridays we go out and if Jim or Ryan are out they get everyone drinks, very generous.
    - Once a month Zuto host a night for us all at the office and get beers and food in.
    - Free drinks, fruit and we can play xbox and table tennis. Sometimes it’s great to break away from code and clear your head by smashing someone into the ground playing table tennis.
    - Open plan, nice offices, amazing location.
    - Company values their tech team.

Cons

- We've lost some really talented people which is sad.
    - Last 6 months things have changed.
    - CTO is sometimes scary/unapproachable. He is a very clever and talented guy and sometimes wish he would check in every now and then with us devs to see what we are working on. Some of the more inexperienced engineers could learn a lot from his experience.

"Exciting Workplace - Massive Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Zuto full-time

Pros

• Flat Structure

I have never worked at a company where everyone has so much access to senior leadership, operational numbers or strategic discussions.

There is no barrier or limits to the impact you can make if you can convey your ideas well and back them with numbers.

• Cutting Edge Technology

Being a relatively young company even our legacy software is only a few years old and as the majority is written in house we have complete control of its future.

Now our aim is to grow faster by using the Microsoft azure stack to speed up development and take a lot of hassle away from the squads.

• Exciting projects

It is quite rare to find an online company that has grown so big with so little historical technology investment. This has left a perfect combination of a successful business and lots of greenfield projects that can massively improve the company.

There are so many manual processes that can be automated to give the customer a better experience. We are also looking to embrace machine learning and big data to push the company forward. As an engineer this is very exciting.

• Huge opportunity to succeed

It is a fast passed company where nothing stays the same very long while hiring all the time. If you can adapt and learn there is massive room for personal development and advancement.

Cons

• Politics
    The obvious potential and huge opportunity unfortunately lead to some people trying to forward their own careers at the expense of the company. Taking credit from others and passing the blame when things dont go the way they wanted. Hopefully people will realise that these tactics are obvious and not needed. It is clear to everyone who is making a difference and who is playing games.

• Recent management churn
    While most of the management changes are the right moves in the long run, it has left a period of uncertainty with the old regime causing as much negativity on their way out as they could. This combined with a void of good man management in a number of squads has allowed the negativity to spread. It is a real shame we lost a couple of good engineers because of this.

• Pensions
    This is my one complaint about benefits, but if you want to keep long term employees then you should look after their future. A bad pension plan is better than no plan we had last year but needs improving to be competitive.

Advice to Management

Back the leaders we have now, more changes in leadership will only slow us down. Positivity will grow as people see their work impacting the customers. We have some amazing things in the pipeline, and need a clear thinking to help us cut the fastest path through the sea of opportunities.

12 Aug 2016 – The Engagement Team

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. It was great to read about your positive experiences. Rest assured we will pass on your feedback to the Senior Leadership Team and we hope you ... More

"Exciting place, losing a lot of dead weight"

Current Employee - Tech in Manchester, England
    Current Employee - Tech in Manchester, England

I have been working at Zuto full-time

Pros

I am really starting to get excited about Zuto. It seems like we were in a bubble before: no direction, do anything you want, play XBox, and hang out. It seems like a lot of people were happy with this but it didn't feel right to me.

Now I can see that we have a vision, we are building features for our customers and have a lot of focus. New hires are much smarter and feel like people I could learn a lot from. Departure were all nice people but hard to pin down what good they did.

We just started giving out performance reviews based upon real goals and it gives us all something to focus on.

Cons

Still a lot of people that are too negative. I know an engineer who can't even check in working code. Can't get him out fast enough. Need to cut the complainers and keep hiring in great talent to make the team better.

Advice to Management

Keep going. Place is buzzing. Need to be flying.

The negative people are just bad blood and couldn't cut it so let's forget them and move on.

We are on to something great and finally starting to make progress

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Manchester City Centre, England
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Manchester City Centre, England

I have been working at Zuto full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, work life balance, openness to new ideas

Cons

Management not as open as they could be. Rating your coworkers feels like backstabbing the people you work with.

Advice to Management

Be open and everything will be fine, it's worrying when you come in and find people have been let go

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macclesfield, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macclesfield, England

I have been working at Zuto full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Autonomy given in my role. Great people in both Macclesfield and Manchester. Exciting plans for the future. Relaxed and comfortable working environment with plenty of opportunities to progress.

Cons

Sometimes appear eager to recognise the value and achievements of the sales floor above all other supporting areas, both through incentives and company communications.