athenahealth Associate Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Dec 5, 2019

3.3
athenahealth Chairman and CEO Bob Segert
Bob Segert
  1. "Company overall does not value employees"

Current Employee - Implementation Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent Worklife balance Great office locations Culture Great people working side-by-side with you

Cons

No true transparency No career growth extremely political/favoritism No employee value (You are replaceable) Subpar pay

athenahealth2019-12-06
  2. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

athenahealth is a mission driven company that has great people and great career growth opportunities.

Cons

I haven't experienced any cons working at athenahealth!

athenahealth2019-11-06
  3. "3+ years at athena"

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Projects

I have been working at athenahealth full-time

Pros

a pro is the ability to work from home

Cons

the management is very disorganized

athenahealth2019-10-24
  4. "Associate Manager"

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Bangalore

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work with. Cant ask for a better work to life balance

Cons

Nothing that would stand out

Advice to Management

NA

athenahealth2019-08-12

"The back stabbers Hub"

Current Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent benefits, PTO , Work from home opportunities (DISCLAIMER) if your apart of the groupie fest.

Cons

I’ve been employed at athenahealth’s for thee years and have watched countless good hearted and talented people leave. I was there for the tacky thanksgiving layoffs. Many were laid off unknowingly before the holidays. I experienced coworkers , families, and friends speak of holiday plans to only be laid off without notice. The reason, stakeholder complaints , too much spending , or the old nobody liked you side... eye. Diversity in the Atlanta office is joke , no literally it is. It’s often talked about but nothing is done to fix the REAL issues at hand. The Gods and Goddesses of the office would be the sales team. No one else matters and we all know it. The current SLT’s are a bunch of playing it safe , un knowledgable, evil back stabbers. Performance Feedback is used to criticize instead of empower. Internal feedback leaves you speaking to the shady practices of the HR businesses partners. Diversity councils fear speaking-anything related to race or sex, Kinda crazy due to most locations have large populations in metropolitan areas that are involved in these kinds of communities. Here’s idea maybe do some company socials like the old days. Let people get to know each other organically and let of some steam. Stop restricting conversations and letting them happen in a non formal transparent way. Declining to answer questions about this publicly only makes the elephant larger in the room. Pay - it’s cool when your first starting out but after years of proven good work and not mediocrity you’ll end up being the colleague on indeed at work. Pay is about 30% under national. Aesthetic - Atlanta’s PCM location is amazing but our internal office looks like a poor mans Amazon or college frat house. Everything is always breaking or is old and reused. Our building tenants are putting us to shame. Environment - associate level people are the real talent and need a shot. It may be great talent under our very own noses. SLT - micromanaging machines and can be seen as stalker like especially if their new. It’s a very insecure and tough crowd. Trainings are offered but who has the time to attend and if you do too many your deemed a dreamer or enemy of state. Managers are always and often Unprofessional , Emotional , and the Gossiping types. (Word of advice ) Hide your friendships , wives, girlfriends , dogs ,and possible terminations because your teammates will know about everything. Perks - The dog thing , I own a dog but athenahealth sells bringing your dog to work like is a luxury. Newsflash , It’s not anymore. Half of the dogs in the Atlanta office are unfriendly and have accidents all the time. Plus the location is not dog friendly people eat downstairs. So unlike Watertown there’s no frisbee action here. Morale - Everyone must go, people leave or are forced. New-hires are often fresh out of school and looking for a paycheck! Normally leave after a year after feeling not culturally fit. I guess lack of happy days or happy hours forced them not to stay. The referrals are going to get worse because of this. Support- I repeat watch what you tell people it can be used to bite. Internal HR is HORRENDOUS here. I’ve heard horror stories.

Advice to Management

Be confident and trusting, maybe drink your own Cool aide, actually try and mentor people. Stop forcing people to go to classes they don’t need. Cut down meetings and let people work. Start looking at mangers performance metrics rather than focusing on ours. Instead of letting go of good directors focus on those B class staff members. Maybe the old fire low and high tactic is not the problem. Please Encourage out... of office activities for over worked staff. It’s only so much burnt coffee and spoiled fruit to keep us here.

athenahealth2019-09-11
  6. "Lots of growing pains"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun campus in Watertown, MA.

Cons

Just merged with another company and there are many cultural and product growing pains. Main focus is on acquiring new customers.

athenahealth2019-08-09
  7. "Overall, Athena is a great place to work!"

Former Employee - Project Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits! Good folks to work with!

Cons

A lot of travel / Heavy workload / Some weekend work is necessary

athenahealth2019-07-10

"Downhill since the acquisition"

Former Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It use to be the culture, benefits/perks, the employees, work environment, and company mission. After reading some of the more recent reviews, it looks like the culture is pretty much non existent now.

Cons

I am pretty sure athena has experienced more layoffs and attrition since the 2017 company wide layoff which is sad because the employees were great. I would advise looking elsewhere and if you are a current employee you are probably really optimistic or revamping your resume.

athenahealth2019-06-10

"AthenaHealth could be a much better company"

Former Employee - Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great work culture -Get to bring dogs in the office -Office locations are awesome -The people are great to work with

Cons

-Too many transitions going on, which leads to incredible unhappiness and resources leaving the company -New ELT, however, they haven't had much time to make any changes for the better -The team that I was on had a "leader" who was a bit of a micro manager, which made life hell

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people who don't deserve it/don't do any work, and start promoting people who actually do solid work

athenahealth2019-06-17
  10. "Current"

Current Employee - Associate - Projects

I have been working at athenahealth full-time

Pros

Laid back environment and teaching and learning

Cons

low pay, hard to get promoted

athenahealth2019-04-20