athenahealth Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated Nov 22, 2019

3.3
athenahealth CEO Bob Segert
Bob Segert
  1. "Constant Change Brings Ample Opportunity"

Current Employee - Systems Integration Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Voice is heard regardless of cohort level; flexible work from home; dog-friendly office

Cons

Strategy changes constantly, causing pivots in work. Too many opinions allowed, causing delay in decision making.

Advice to Management

Promote based on skills, not relationships.

athenahealth2019-11-22
  2. "Lots of learning opportunities"

Former Employee - Product Manager/Strategy - Product Development in Boston, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful people, passionate about helping clients help their patients, willingness from many senior leaders to listen to new ideas

Cons

Lots of changes - many thanks to an activist investor, lack of diversity in sr leadership

athenahealth2019-11-17
  3. "Belfast location"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Belfast, ME

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Competitive pay for the area

Cons

So much change, but that seems to be improving going into 2020! Belfast location doesn't feel as respected as the Watertown, Massachusetts location.

athenahealth2019-11-08
  4. "Some remnants of a great culture remain, but they are few and far between"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager

I have been working at athenahealth full-time

Pros

For years, athena had an excellent focus on sustained culture for years. While that ended two years ago, there are still a number of people and cultural institutions remaining.

Cons

The leadership of the company doesn't care about anything other than profitability of the organization. If they can do that by improving the business, they will. If they can do that by not backfilling necessary roles, they will.

athenahealth2019-11-10

"Can't find their way"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Entrepeneurial spirit and great people with flexibility

Cons

They have lost their way, poor leadership management. Most Sr. leaders have left the company on their own accord and there is constant re-orging that leaves one wondering if they have any stability at all.

Advice to Management

Grow up and become a world class company. Develop some stability

athenahealth2019-10-18
  6. "Senior Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Chennai
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life, pretty good salary. Good product line

Cons

Growth prospects and opportunity to grow

Advice to Management

none

athenahealth2019-10-05
  7. "Energetic and mission driven company"

Current Employee - Product Engagement Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing people with a strong culture. Lots of hiring and promoting from within, if you prove yourself as smart and capable, you are given great opportunities to learn a grow into roles that your resume might not match

Cons

High leadership turnover the last few years (2017-2019) but it feels like it is starting to stabilize. Lack of commitment and focus on a single strategy has caused frustration within the workforce.

athenahealth2019-10-02
  8. "Lacking Leadership"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1) Easy work/life balance 2) Watertown has a nice cafeteria area 3) Making up for deficiencies with cash

Cons

Athena is struggling to attract and retain employees. There's no way to avoid this fact - attrition is well above industry averages and hiring is not reaching goals. This is evidenced by how they've simultaneously increased the employee referral bonus, expanded the number of people it applies to and reduced the time it takes to get paid in response to the issue. Alarmingly, the root of the problem lies in the... leadership of the company. Only 2 members of the ELT have been with the company for more than a year and only 2 have a background in healthcare prior to joining Athena. For most of the ELT, this is either their first time in an true executive role and/or it's a bigger organization than they've been at this level of leadership in their career. The result is a lack of knowledge of Athena's market, customers, and positioning. The ELT hired consultants to help define the go forward strategy, presented in a glossy presentation. Translating that very high level corporate strategy into execution is not going well for a couple of reasons. First, the consultants didn't truly understand the technology behind their recommendations, which has lead to unreasonable expectations to reset. Second, the ELT doesn't trust the broader leadership team and has used the consultants as a wedge to push the strategy forward to the board without strong consensus from the broader leadership team that needs to lay out the execution. The resulting gridlock makes it nearly impossible to feel like you're making a real difference via the work you do. Several months into the process, it is evident that the ELT is not aligned on how to execute against the bullets on those beautiful PowerPoints. Compounding this is how it the ELT doesn't have any real process or guidelines for getting decisions made. It's difficult to get true direction on simple asks like how to define concepts laid out in the strategy (ask 5 people what a term from the deck means and you'll get five different answers) much less make harder decisions like how to right size current priorities to make room for the new initiatives. This leads to people being asked to do things that are either duplicated in other orgs or worse, the exact opposite of what is being done in other orgs. Within my org, I was part of several conversations (above and below senior manager level) where we were comparing notes on what we've heard the priorities and plans are so we could attempt to align on what to do. Lastly, Athena's overall culture contributes to the issues. There's definitely a sense of "being an insider" for many - both appealing, and with great downside. People on the inside make others feel like they're excluded. The insiders often use information to sow confusion and/or appear on higher footing than their peers. Rarely is key information fully shared to drive cohesion around strategy and execution. This creates a lack of trust within and across teams which fuels the dysfunction, inaction, and inability to make basic decisions. The level and scale of issues is truly difficult to explain. It's hard to believe it'll get better soon. My advice to anyone with cloud tech skills  is to stay away. Athena is not a place with the discipline required to get anything technologically strategic done.

Advice to Management

Don't ask people to call an ELT member if they express a desire to be involved in strategic initiatives.

athenahealth2019-11-06

"Great Peers, Co. Lacks Leadership / Maturity."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart, energetic workplace. Work-life balance is mostly a priority.

Cons

Although athenahealth is filled with brilliant people, there is a tremendous lack of practical experience and leadership. Age and experience are typically ignored and often held in contempt. Everyone there was the smartest kid in their class, and most don't want to hear others opinions. Executive leadership has been sorely lacking, which I believe athena is trying to remedy.

Advice to Management

See Cons section. When I came to athena, I had more than 15 years at the director level in my field. I quickly found that my experience wasn't welcome in my role or in my group. In fact, my direct mgr made it a point to oppose anything that came from me. I actually got to the point where I would bring suggestions/initiatives to him as if they were my direct reports (not mine). That way he would actually... consider / support them, and that is the only way I achieved anything strategic. There is a serious lack of deep functional and strategic experience at athena. My advice would be to seek out, embrace and value experience as enthusiastically as you have embraced the younger work force.

athenahealth2019-10-09
  10. "Great company"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at athenahealth full-time

Pros

Work life balance is great

Cons

Change can be hard, but doable

athenahealth2019-09-25