athenahealth Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

3.3
athenahealth Chairman and CEO Bob Segert
Bob Segert
Cons
  1. "Great company, great mission"

I have been working at athenahealth

Pros

The culture is excellent, the people are very friendly, active, and outgoing The perks are similar to what you'd normally find in tech: bean bag chairs, beer fridges, massages, bringing your dog to work, etc.

Cons

Doesn't have the same brand recognition as other big-name tech companies, pay isn't quite as competitive (but definitely still very high)

athenahealth2015-09-13

"It's no longer "all about the people""

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance Interesting and compelling problems to solve Unique office space Some really great teammates and direct managers

Cons

Constant reprioritization and regoranization of departments Lack of diversity - especially in leadership. We used to have quite a few women in high leadership positions (though our ethnic diversity in leadership has never been great.) Due to mysterious firings and changing of positions, we mostly have white men in leadership positions. Could be a pro if you are a white male. New management has changed the focus from the people and the work to just the work. Some of the best humans I have ever worked with have been pushed out of the company in favor of startup bros and "fresh" people who are more concerned with making themselves look good than making their teams feel empowered and have job satisfaction. While the CEO's transparency is a pro, he has said one too many offensive things for me to respect him. He has tried to learn from his mistakes in some cases, but actions speak louder than words. All software developers get stock with their compensation while other R&D functions get none though we also build our products Bad health plan. CEO wants us to shop for our healthcare while he sails on his yacht every weekend. My PT costs $100 out of pocket if I use insurance and $50 with self pay.

Advice to Management

If you want employees to "act like owners" make them actual owners by compensating with stock. You are already losing the employees who care about people over products. Be prepared for a culture shift you may not like. Hire more diverse people into leadership positions. I wish things were the way they were 2 years ago when I joined.

athenahealth2017-09-13
  3. "UX Review"

I worked at athenahealth

Pros

Good people, great perks, fun place to work

Cons

Too many shakeups and re orgs. Decide on a path forward and stick to it

Advice to Management

Stop shakeups and provide job training for new responsibilities.

athenahealth2017-03-02
  4. "Supportive environment for parents, fun atmosphere"

Current Employee - Senior Manager Marketing in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It might vary by division, but overall the work/life balance is excellent. My manager, division, and colleagues are understanding about family commitments and it is easy to work from home whenever I need to. 3-month maternity leave policy is a plus, and the lactation rooms in the office are great. There is also an athenaParents group that is active and helpful. I don't use it myself, but there is a Bright Horizons daycare sharing our campus, and it is very convenient for many employees. I also enjoy coming to work every day to see colleagues and be in this space. It's an energetic environment, there are dogs everywhere, and the atmosphere feels fun and casual (but everyone still works hard!). Employees are social and engaged. It's a place where you can form true friendships with colleagues.

Cons

There has been a lot of turnover in recent years, including at the executive level. It's led to some frustrations and confusion, but I really believe we are past it now. We're on the right track and I feel optimistic about being here long term. Depending on the division, it can be hard to get promoted, and the same standards are not always applied across the company.

athenahealth2020-01-21
  5. "Best for career groqth"

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wfh Learning opportunities Benefits and employees first

Cons

Internal politics I don't feel any other negatives.

athenahealth2020-01-19
  6. "Great opportunity for growth and learning!"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Athenahealth is filled with incredibly bright engineers. During my years here I have found tremendous mentors and developed my skills greatly. I like that Athenahealth is a meritocracy where years of experience are not required for a promotion. A engineer with a few years of experience can reach the highest cohorts if they are truly performing at that level. The other thing that is awesome is the dogs! I bring mine in every day - she is the favorite employee in the office.

Cons

Senior leadership has been swung around a bit with our recent acquisition. To be honest the effects haven't been felt too much in day to day activity. It was distracting for a time period, especially given the fomo on the conspiracy slack channels. Thankfully things have stabilized.

athenahealth2020-01-17
  7. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Chennai

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture, People Oriented company with challenging work.

Cons

People are given more power than they should have.

Advice to Management

Continue Action and Accountability.

athenahealth2020-01-14
  8. "A lot of internal career opportunity"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are the biggest pro. I am so lucky to work with incredibly smart and hard working colleagues! With this great group comes a lot of networking opportunities internally and the chance to learn new skills and even move into a new role when there is an opening. I have also had great support from my manager during my time here to network and explore both growth within my team and elsewhere in athena. I would also note that my work life balance is great. Though I work hard, and so does my team, I am able to be flexible with my schedule when needed which is great. I have a seen a shift towards consistent leadership and shared values in the company, and am really eager to see the continued growth and development not only of the company as a whole but of my colleagues and friends at athena!

Cons

There has been a lot of change over the past two years, but the company is certainly stabilizing a lot and people seem optimistic. It will be important over the coming months to continue this stability in leadership.

athenahealth2020-01-09
  9. "Efficient Hiring Process and Onboarding"

Current Employee - Analytics Manager

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great location. My onboarding process was well organized during orientation as well as integrating with my new team.

Cons

Initial hiring process was a little clunky with mismatched e-mails not being received.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

athenahealth2020-01-08
  10. "SSE"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chennai

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work Life Balance in athena

Cons

Mix of Old and New technologies

athenahealth2020-01-07