athenahealth Senior Manager Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Found 21 reviews

3.8
athenahealth CEO Bob Segert
Bob Segert
  1. "Company working to disrupt itself after 20 years"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great mission, nice work space, good compensation

Cons

Legacy technology, activist investor looking to the short term

athenahealth2017-11-03

"All they are concerned with now is the eventual sale of the company"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Good people to work with - Cool office - Stock Plan

Cons

What was once a fun, exciting tech company is now a typical corporate sellout. athena's only concern now is how to cut costs so that the numbers will look good on paper in order to attract buyers. The small group segment is a joke and the poor clients that are trapped into using athena are constantly suffering. athena is attempting to pivot to the hospital segment and selling an inferior, incomplete product to... these small hospitals while totally disregarding the small practice segment. Sales is trained to sell "as a billing service" and by the time the clients have fully onboarded, fired their in-house billers, and begin to submit claims, it is too late. They are then told "we are not a billing service" and it is much too difficult for the practices to spend the time and energy to switch back to a better EMR. athena was once a great product but is now a "bait and switch" product. I feel terrible for any doctor or practice out there that is having to deal with all that is going on. My advice would be to run away, terminate your agreement, and move to an EMR that actually has your success as a priority. athena's only priority is to look profitable on paper. The entire Client Support Center will be moving overseas and the Account Management team who once were responsible for 40-60 clients are now attempting to manage 150-180 clients each. It is a disaster. Employees are overworked, underpaid, and all of the fun perks are now gone. They just released 500 employees and that is just the first wave. Again, I cannot be more clear, athena no longer has the customer's best interest in mind. It is all about shaving off $100 -130 million by Q3 of 2018 for a sale.

Advice to Management

- Find a new job - Be honest with your staff - With all the changes going on, be supportive of your employees and understanding. - Be prepared as many of us are actively pursuing other options outside of athena.

athenahealth2017-10-20

October 31, 2017Employee Engagement

We understand that you are frustrated, however we have noted several factual inaccuracies in this review. We have flagged this as inappropriate.

"Rollercoaster ride - but great company if you can handle the ups and downs"

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Company has a great outlook - athenahealth is a leader in their field - Companies products are top notch, just having a hard time competing against the "known" slow moving competition

Cons

Company is going through a maturing stage, coming to the realization that as much as they want to run as a "start-up", they are not and need to appease the investors. Too much change at a senior level which as much as they try, causes too much confusion with constant org changes. In five years at the company, my organization has had 7 different leaders.

Advice to Management

Find the right people to actually run the business.

athenahealth2017-09-23

September 27, 2017Employee Engagement

We want to keep the roller coaster going upwards, and your feedback helps! A "maturing stage" is a great way to put it, and we are definitely poised and ready for continued maturation and growth as we head into 2018. We take your feedback seriously, and appreciate the review!

"Clinging to life"

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful, smart, dedicated co-workers. Beautiful campus. Elliot investment will likely get some (much needed) adults in the room.

Cons

Parental culture. Annual review and 10x10 process is ineffective. Senior managers operating on the whims of the CEO (although this is likely to change). Mediocre health care benefits. Lack of diversity.

Advice to Management

Please stop forcing the culture. Culture will take care of itself when people are engaged, challenged, and appropriately compensated. The Schein Tree must go.

athenahealth2017-08-22

September 12, 2017

First of all, thank you for the feedback! We agree with what you said about your coworkers, and agree that our people and teams are pretty awesome. In terms of your constructive feedback, we value your transparency and will take note of your advice. If you have any additional or ...

"Goodness gracious, what happened to this place? Getting significantly worse every year for several years."

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Meaningful pockets of great, intelligent people - Some teams have a healthy culture (when they can insulate themselves from the madness) - If you are talented, do quality work, and can deal with absolute madness with a straight face most of the time, you will probably get promoted - Pretty decent PTO that you can actually use on some teams - Ever decreasing in frequency, yet still cool feeling that you are... making some type of concrete, incremental improvements in healthcare to make things work better - For 1-5 minute bursts, the dogs in the office can have a calming, therapeutic effect, until you walk away and realize you are in a place where nothing makes sense anymore

Cons

- Senior leadership swirl and erratic decision-making push down chaos to those who have to try making sense of conflicting guidance or no guidance - Just when you are starting to figure things out and get a bit of momentum, some arbitrary, poorly communicated directive and/or another re-org makes you have to start all over again - New CTO doesn't have a clue. Compounding this, CEO seemingly doesn't have a clue... that CTO doesn't have a clue. By all means, keep trying to copy and paste "well this worked at Salesforce seven years ago" solutions to a different industry in a different time and see how it goes. Hint: it's going poorly. - Odd, cult-like insistence that strict Agile will magically fix everything, at the expense of common sense in many cases - The people who are most frustrated now are increasingly the intelligent, high-performing contributors and leaders who are simply running out of patience with athena's nonsense

Advice to Management

2016 saw record high turnover. Many of the "exceeds" and "HiPo's" are losing faith. Many of those remaining wanted to see if 2016 was transitional pain to get us to an overall better place, yet things actually seem worse somehow in 2017. For instance, I am an exceeds writing this instead of doing extra work because I'm not sure if what I work on will matter when the guidance changes again tomorrow. To turn this... into actual advice, stop making Schein trees that don't lead to concretely fixing problems. Stop shuffling around leaders right when operating models have a chance to start making progress. Stop spinning up overlapping teams and leaving them floating/competing. I still have a small shred of hope that working at athena can be what it once was, but I have stopped recommending it to talented friends in the meantime.

athenahealth2017-02-14

"Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture in most departments, colleagues are bright, and the work environment is progressive and interesting.

Cons

Meritocracy lessens as you climb the ranks, most teams take siloed approaches to problem solving

athenahealth2017-03-22

"Fun environment but lack of direction is frustrating"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Watertown, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart, eager, motivated, chill coworkers. Sweet space and perks to go with it.

Cons

Poor direction from leadership. Things are constantly changing which is to be expected but messaging doesn't keep up. It makes it difficult to know what you're supposed to be doing and how secure your role is at any given point in time.

Advice to Management

Clarify intent, language, and acknowledge when things are dirty and the effect it has on your teams.

athenahealth2017-01-30

"Sr. Manager"

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Flexibility is great and a lot of great ideas. A Lot of social activities and new space makes it an enjoyable workplace.

Cons

Poor career path and people get promoted based on personal relationships. Senior leadership is not visible and does not seem to care about the culture anymore. Work life balance is a huge challenge especially if you have a traveling position.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting unqualified people into roles they have zero experience in and improve people work life balance.

athenahealth2016-08-18
  9. "Sr. Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A great company to work for with excellent products and visionary strategic game plan. Would recommend to anyone who was looking for an innovative and industry leading company.

Cons

I really can not think of anything bad to say about this company. They were very good to me and my team.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path that you are going. Stick to your values and continue to raise the bar to achieve your goals.

athenahealth2016-07-11

"Couldn't imagine working anywhere else!"

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

After 8.5 years I still love coming to work every day. I've held 7 different roles in my tenure. Very quick to promote top performers.

Cons

You begin to believe in the work so much it's sometimes hard to realize that there is life outside of athena. However, you love what you're doing so much, and make such great friends doing it, that it doesn't really matter.

Advice to Management

Keep listening! There has been a noted effort in management listening and it's so important.

athenahealth2015-03-23