athenahealth Senior Software Developer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

Updated May 8, 2018

3.2
athenahealth Chairman and CEO Bob Segert
Bob Segert

"Was good until Elliott Management came into the picture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. All of my coworkers are encouraging. Everyone believes in a collaborative environment, and people help each other out. There is no such thing as a stupid question. 2. Direct managers provide great advice to succeed. I have had a few managers over the years, and each has offered a unique, encouraging perspective to provide insight into the company as well as advancing my career. They are also trustworthy and... will be honest with upper management when their direct reports disagree with certain high level decisions. Direct management is as transparent as possible with the reasoning behind decisions made, from performance reviews to senior leadership decisions. 3. The direction of technology at the company has made recent strides in the past couple years. With a new CTO, there was some initial resistance and forced changes which were ushered in around the Christmas holidays, which wasn't ideal because large numbers of people took time off (as would be expected). However, the overall initiative to scale the code for stability and future growth has been positive, and there are many types of technologies in play all at once, making for a stimulating environment where getting bored is uncommon. 4. Work-life balance is good. I've been able to go to appointments and deal with unexpected illnesses without any issues from my managers and teammates. I have been able to get to work and leave at reasonable hours. Fortunately, being called off-hours (at least for my team) is extremely rare. There are some people who choose to work long hours/on the weekends, but this is not necessary (however, in my anecdotal observations, working long hours is a common path to promotion in the middle/upper career levels). 5. There is a strong commitment to diversity. Numerous initiatives are underway to recruit more diverse candidates in tech, and these efforts are in the right direction.

Cons

1. Looming pressure from Elliott Management, an activist investor firm, has ruined the company over the past year. The truth is, although there are open positions at the company, I can't recommend working here solely due to the havoc caused by Elliott Management. They put a lot of pressure on athenahealth to cut costs to "deliver shareholder value" which will be detailed below: a. This resulted in several... talented colleagues of mine getting laid off, including software engineers at all levels and several other positions as well. Unfortunately, for software engineering, the company is now posting jobs and hiring people for positions which I believe could have been easily filled by shuffling (now former) employees into these positions and implementing a hiring freeze. The silver lining is that most of my laid off colleagues (specifically, software engineers) are in the Boston area with strong job opportunities for them, and most found jobs within a few months of the October 2017 layoffs, during which about 10% of the company was laid off. b. The October 2017 layoffs affecting software engineers and subsequent reorganization led to a lack of ownership for certain product features. A lot of extra time has been spent by other teams maintaining these features and fixing bugs in the absence of people who wrote the code and could more readily address these issues. c. There has been a lot more turnover in the past year than in prior years for the company at all levels (though, to be fair, turnover was previously very low, especially by tech company standards; it seems average now in comparison). d. Certain minor perks were reduced (eg, eliminating accessory desk budgets, fewer team outings and company-wide events). While these perks were small and wouldn't drive my decision to leave the company, it is sad to see them go. 2. Health benefits are subpar, but have marginally improved recently. The health insurance now has a lower deductible option while maintaining last year's premium. The dental and eye doctor plans are only accepted by a very small number of providers in the area. 3. Pay is not the most competitive. It's not bad by any means, but in a saturated market of software engineers, there are far better options for those whose top priority is making top dollar. 4. Commuting can be tricky. The addition of a second parking garage has made it so that one can now find a parking spot on-site after 8:45 AM, and parking is free. However, MBTA options are limited, and traffic in Watertown and the surrounding area is pretty dense. My 5 mile commute is 35-45 minutes one way on average, depending on the day. On the positive side, there are some MBTA bus routes which stop near the office, and there is a free company shuttle from Harvard Square for those who live close to those areas. I had been considering leaving the company since the October 2017 layoffs, but Elliott Management's takeover offer in May 2018 is what pushed me over the edge to decide to leave the company very soon. With the path Elliott Management is going down, it seems that athenahealth's days as we know it are numbered. Whether they will take over the company or another investor will, it might "deliver shareholder value" at the expense of everyone else who has worked so hard to get the company to where it is today. I'm fairly certain that a takeover of athenahealth will result in even more layoffs and basically put the final nail in the coffin.

Advice to Management

1. Reject all takeover bids! I would be very upset to see the company get completely destroyed. 2. Keep the company culture alive. The collaborative, innovative, and open nature has brought it to the success observed today and will continue to drive the company's success in the future.

athenahealth2018-05-09

"Constant Reorgs, No Sense of Direction"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Atlanta, GA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart, hard-working, professional and friendly colleagues.

Cons

In the constant search for a better way, no one was able to figure out how the current way was supposed to work.

athenahealth2017-03-24
  3. "Awesome company!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer

I have been working at athenahealth full-time

Pros

Great team culture and growth for people in Boston and Austin.

Cons

I cant think of any except they are laying off people based on geography.

Advice to Management

Try to retain talent.

athenahealth2016-11-29

"Worst company to join"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Bangalore

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for less than a year

Pros

- WFH option - nothing else apart from this

Cons

- Working environment is so boring you will never want to stay more than 2 hours - very less salary - zero facilities for India office employees - very bad resource and project management -

Advice to Management

do not be a cheap company

athenahealth2016-12-13

"Great job compared to other big-cos in Austin"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at athenahealth full-time

Pros

I've never had a "bad" job and never worked at a company as big as athena, so take that for what it's worth. Also, this review is for R&D (Product mgrs, UXers and Developers who create new products); I do not know as much about the other divisions to comment. That being said, the people are great, the work is rewarding, the work-life balance for the teams I've been on is fantastic. You can definitely burn... yourself out if you don't watch it, but the Austin leadership keeps a good balance. Our local VP takes care to distill communication from on high which I hear isn't the case in every office or team. Pay at junior and mid-level for developers is pretty good. Communications with developers in other offices is pretty good; I can generally email, slack or call anyone and have them be responsive and help me find what I need. It's a medium size company but feels much smaller. Change is frequent, so if you don't love your current project, you'll definitely be on something new in a year if not 6 months.

Cons

Change is frequent, so if you love your current project, you'll be disappointed soon. It is R&D, but it seems change is a wee bit too frequent. We are in a big transition right now from sub $1b revenue to multiple billions and growth won't come as quickly, so there is definitely a lot of pressure from different sides. Mid to mid-upper developers advance slowly unless you were here 4+ years ago. Project management... skills are severely lacking in some cases because the "product management" (PI) org wasn't well defined for so long. Young, entry level associates may not know what they're getting into. Senior management doesn't know what to do with UX sometimes, even though we have a pretty big UX division. And should leverage them better.

Advice to Management

A lot of what you're doing is good, but, jeebus JB, chillax with the "we're gonna keep mixing it up!!!". You'd think we'd eventually find a winning formula and then stick with it.

athenahealth2016-09-17

"Exciting Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love what athenahealth is all about; trying to fix healthcare in the US by building services to connect and educate physicians, and by taking out a lot of the regulatory or busy work. The people here are very friendly and for the most part treat everyone with universal positive regard.

Cons

athenahealth is big on innovation, which can sometimes mean a lot of churn day-to-day. Also, not always the most inclusive place to work for a person of color (though they really are trying to work on their diversity and inclusion efforts).

athenahealth2016-09-03

"As close to the "perfect career" that I have ever found"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

- You won't work with anyone who is neither technically incompetent nor unable to communicate, because they don't get hired in the first place. - Best teamwork I've seen in my career. Engineers work directly with product management and together do great things. - Awesome benefits: a $300 yearly budget for personal items, nearly unlimited free snacks and drinks, regular outings and fun events - The company really... values their employees and make you feel important. They spend a lot of money on us. - Meaningful work with the ability to really improve healthcare and people's lives on a daily basis. - Great flexibility on hours and good work/life balance. Some people work 100% remotely. - Lots of opportunity for growth, as the company itself is growing rapidly.

Cons

- Continues to use older technologies (Perl, Perforce) with no sign of incoming changes. - Monthly/bi-monthly release cycles means that you can feel frequently pressured with deadlines. - Development practices are too focused on solving short-term solutions. Good practices like refactoring, documentation, and unit testing are often not given any time. Software quality and development time suffers as a result. -... Many managers seem like they struggle with work/life balance and regularly work many more hours than they should have to. - Not much in terms of a technical development track. If you want to move up in the company, you're pretty much not going to be writing code anymore.

athenahealth2015-05-02

"I like it."

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work-life balance. Good pay and benefits. Engaging work environment. You learn a lot about the healthcare industry.

Cons

Teams are slightly siloed in everyday work, but there is transparency and openness.

Advice to Management

Create more of an entrepreneurial feel for the lower ranks and provide resources and support for ideas coming from the lower ranks.

athenahealth2015-04-10

"It was a wonderful and rewarding experience with Athena. I learned a lot, not just software devleopment."

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Chennai

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

1. Freedom (and responsibility) 2. Respect and rewards for the efforts

Cons

1. We were not able to attract and hire the best developers available, especially in the recent years.

athenahealth2014-08-05
  10. "Software Development"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Chennai

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A very good company to work with. Rich Culture. Good work life balance. Flexible and good facilities.

Cons

Learning new technology is less.

athenahealth2014-07-27