athenahealth Software Developer Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

athenahealth Chairman and CEO Bob Segert
Bob Segert

"Decent"

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun coworkers, free food, cool decor.

Cons

Micromanagement, petty rules, bitter managers.

athenahealth2019-11-12
  2. "Just ok now."

Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at athenahealth full-time

Pros

Great People. Work can be engaging at times.

Cons

Management pivots too often. It's hard to get anything done.

athenahealth2019-09-05

"Proceed with caution..."

Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Austin, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A few ago I wrote about how this was the best job I ever had. A lot has changed since then, most of it for the worst. You may be fine here, or you may not. It's definitely not a horrible place to work, but it sure seems like it some days when comparing it to how it used to be just a couple years ago. > The vast majority of the people you work with directly are awesome. > Work/life balance is fantastic.... There are a days now and again where you are expected to be in the office, but usually you can work from home whenever you need to. > A lot of new projects and technology coming into play in the last year. I don't know anyone in Austin who is still writing Perl code on an ancient monolith anymore. > For the most part, the managers I've worked with over the year have been excellent and most people have a positive relationship with theirs. > The company mission is inspiring, although depending on where you land you might be doing nothing more than moving data around and not feeling inspired by your day job. > Free breakfast tacos on Mondays. Other basic free snacks and drinks are available as well.

Cons

Most of the employees right now are not unhappy. The company has been bleeding talent since last October when they laid off 10% of employees to placate a whiny shareholder. If you decide to accept an offer, you should realize that you are likely replacing someone who quit. > Senior leadership is awful in many ways. No matter how far down the ladder you are, they will make decisions that will negatively... impact your morale and career on a regular basis. > The CTO, Prakash Khot, is full of bad ideas but thinks himself an infallible messiah of tech. I've never seen a leader take an organization high in morale and productivity and drag it down so low. Example: he decided a few months back that all teams across the entire company should consist of exactly 3 developers (with few exceptions). Every engineer that I've talked to about it said it is the stupidest idea that they ever heard. > Highly political and back-stabbing environment. The CTO used company-wide layoffs last October to forcefully remove the entire senior leadership team in Austin. These were the best leaders I've ever worked with in my life and did their jobs extremely well, but the CTO resented them for pushing back against his demands and often awful agenda (see: 3 developer teams). Morale in Austin has absolutely plummeted since and shows no signs of recovery. > Low autonomy for certain groups and teams. If you don't have any desire to design anything and are content with just taking orders from above, you'll be fine. > The company is notorious for re-orgs because SLT at the top are incompetent and unable to provide any stability. This often means having your project abruptly canceled (even if it's 99% done) for BS reasons like a change in SLT's "vision". About half of the projects I've worked on have been canceled for one reason or another > Career advancement isn't really based on performance, but more on luck. I've watched many great engineers be held back in their careers because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time (project got canceled on them) or had a manager who was too busy to notice their impact or didn't care. HR has taken notice and is making solid steps to improve this though.

Advice to Management

> Send the CTO off to receive professional mental health therapy. The guy is a textbook sociopath and continues to demoralize and depress his entire org. I'm not even kidding. > Stop reshuffling projects and people every few months because you changed your minds about something. The lack of stability hurts morale, hampers career progression, and just genuinely makes people unhappy. There are people that... have been at athena for years without ever working on a completed project because of your lack of commitment to initiatives. > The company mission and culture seem to have been forgotten in the wake of the new platform initiative, and that's a shame. It's left a void for many people in R&D who came to the company to improve healthcare, not build a new technology platform (that isn't any more revolutionary than what they do at Netflix or Google). A lot of people have left for the simple reason that they don't feel like their work is improving healthcare anymore.

athenahealth2018-05-25

"Was good until Elliott Management came into the picture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. All of my coworkers are encouraging. Everyone believes in a collaborative environment, and people help each other out. There is no such thing as a stupid question. 2. Direct managers provide great advice to succeed. I have had a few managers over the years, and each has offered a unique, encouraging perspective to provide insight into the company as well as advancing my career. They are also trustworthy and... will be honest with upper management when their direct reports disagree with certain high level decisions. Direct management is as transparent as possible with the reasoning behind decisions made, from performance reviews to senior leadership decisions. 3. The direction of technology at the company has made recent strides in the past couple years. With a new CTO, there was some initial resistance and forced changes which were ushered in around the Christmas holidays, which wasn't ideal because large numbers of people took time off (as would be expected). However, the overall initiative to scale the code for stability and future growth has been positive, and there are many types of technologies in play all at once, making for a stimulating environment where getting bored is uncommon. 4. Work-life balance is good. I've been able to go to appointments and deal with unexpected illnesses without any issues from my managers and teammates. I have been able to get to work and leave at reasonable hours. Fortunately, being called off-hours (at least for my team) is extremely rare. There are some people who choose to work long hours/on the weekends, but this is not necessary (however, in my anecdotal observations, working long hours is a common path to promotion in the middle/upper career levels). 5. There is a strong commitment to diversity. Numerous initiatives are underway to recruit more diverse candidates in tech, and these efforts are in the right direction.

Cons

1. Looming pressure from Elliott Management, an activist investor firm, has ruined the company over the past year. The truth is, although there are open positions at the company, I can't recommend working here solely due to the havoc caused by Elliott Management. They put a lot of pressure on athenahealth to cut costs to "deliver shareholder value" which will be detailed below: a. This resulted in several... talented colleagues of mine getting laid off, including software engineers at all levels and several other positions as well. Unfortunately, for software engineering, the company is now posting jobs and hiring people for positions which I believe could have been easily filled by shuffling (now former) employees into these positions and implementing a hiring freeze. The silver lining is that most of my laid off colleagues (specifically, software engineers) are in the Boston area with strong job opportunities for them, and most found jobs within a few months of the October 2017 layoffs, during which about 10% of the company was laid off. b. The October 2017 layoffs affecting software engineers and subsequent reorganization led to a lack of ownership for certain product features. A lot of extra time has been spent by other teams maintaining these features and fixing bugs in the absence of people who wrote the code and could more readily address these issues. c. There has been a lot more turnover in the past year than in prior years for the company at all levels (though, to be fair, turnover was previously very low, especially by tech company standards; it seems average now in comparison). d. Certain minor perks were reduced (eg, eliminating accessory desk budgets, fewer team outings and company-wide events). While these perks were small and wouldn't drive my decision to leave the company, it is sad to see them go. 2. Health benefits are subpar, but have marginally improved recently. The health insurance now has a lower deductible option while maintaining last year's premium. The dental and eye doctor plans are only accepted by a very small number of providers in the area. 3. Pay is not the most competitive. It's not bad by any means, but in a saturated market of software engineers, there are far better options for those whose top priority is making top dollar. 4. Commuting can be tricky. The addition of a second parking garage has made it so that one can now find a parking spot on-site after 8:45 AM, and parking is free. However, MBTA options are limited, and traffic in Watertown and the surrounding area is pretty dense. My 5 mile commute is 35-45 minutes one way on average, depending on the day. On the positive side, there are some MBTA bus routes which stop near the office, and there is a free company shuttle from Harvard Square for those who live close to those areas. I had been considering leaving the company since the October 2017 layoffs, but Elliott Management's takeover offer in May 2018 is what pushed me over the edge to decide to leave the company very soon. With the path Elliott Management is going down, it seems that athenahealth's days as we know it are numbered. Whether they will take over the company or another investor will, it might "deliver shareholder value" at the expense of everyone else who has worked so hard to get the company to where it is today. I'm fairly certain that a takeover of athenahealth will result in even more layoffs and basically put the final nail in the coffin.

Advice to Management

1. Reject all takeover bids! I would be very upset to see the company get completely destroyed. 2. Keep the company culture alive. The collaborative, innovative, and open nature has brought it to the success observed today and will continue to drive the company's success in the future.

athenahealth2018-05-09

"Low Morale and Internal Changes Crippling Mission"

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great People, Great in-office perks, terrific facilities, noble mission

Cons

Office politics, constantly shifting leadership priorities, outdated technology stack.

Advice to Management

Culture has to grow on its own. Shaking up the structure of the company every 3 months hurts this, directly.

athenahealth2018-05-01
  6. "Interesting work and stable employment."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- interesting problems to solve in healthcare - people are great; great company culture - good benefits — healthcare, etc

Cons

- old, outdated stack - new tech is hard to find - in a transition period — can be exciting but also tough

Advice to Management

- give employees opportunities to advance in their careers and to learn new skills

athenahealth2018-01-30
  7. "It was good"

I worked at athenahealth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work life balance Good culture Good events

Cons

Nothing really, no job is perfect. Your mileage may vary.

athenahealth2017-11-13
  8. "Fantastic internship experience"

Former Intern - Software Developer in Watertown, MA

I worked at athenahealth for less than a year

Pros

Great company culture, lots of opportunities to learn from mentors

Cons

Working with a relatively outdated technology stack

athenahealth2017-10-02
  9. "Most amazing work experience!"

Current Intern - Software Developer Intern in Watertown, MA

I have been working at athenahealth

Pros

The athena culture is outstanding, day to day operations are smooth and (as an intern) I felt extremely valued by all members of the full-time staff.

Cons

There are a lot of re-orgs that can disrupt workflow but everyone I worked with was great at not letting it affect their progress and development.

athenahealth2017-09-17
  10. "Amazing experience"

Former Intern - Software Developer Intern in Austin, TX
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at athenahealth for less than a year

Pros

- Some of the friendliest and most helpful people I've ever worked with. - Great company culture; collaboration and team chemistry are placed on equal footing with other performance metrics, plus everyone is always down for happy hour. - Good pay/benefits.

Cons

- Some aspects of my project didn't seem fully fleshed out by the time I started.

athenahealth2017-08-23