charity: water Reviews | Glassdoor.co.uk

charity: water Reviews

Updated 14 Aug 2019

4.6
charity: water CEO Scott Harrison (no image)
Scott Harrison
  1. "A great workplace with a great CEO"

I worked at charity: water full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Amazing donors and supporters (truly one of the best parts!) -Talented and friend coworkers -Comfortable office -Working toward ending the water crisis -Flexible work and great vacation policies -Dedicated Founder and CEO

Cons

-Different employees have different levels of commitment and dedication (with no common standard across departments) -Took a long time to get to a fair wage for work contributions (though incredibly grateful and impressed that I was able to eventually get there)

charity: water2019-08-14

"Innovative growing NGO"

I worked at charity: water full-time for more than a year

Pros

charity: water is a NGO meets tech start up. This organization has a gorgeous and creative office creating a space you actually want to go to work from and enjoy. The HR team is dedicated to staff care and is always looking for new ways to improve and help employees. Unlike traditional NGOs, charity: water attracts the best from various fields, including software engineers, designers, fundraisers, marketers and... grants managers and pays a competitive wage compared to most NGOs. charity: water has crazy ideas for fundraising that continue to bring in millions of dollars each year. Each year the organization sends around $25 million to the field to fund water projects, making it one of the top private funders of water in the USA. charity: water has an opportunity to continue to grow and create a name for itself as both a marketing and fundraising organization as well as a major player in the WASH (water, sanitation & hygiene world).

Cons

charity: water is only ten years old and has grown rapidly over the last 10 years. While this growth has expanded the organization to nearly 80 staff, the average age of staff is likely in its late 20s or early 30s. The organization could benefit from hiring a few more well seasoned staff to manage teams and help the organization grow smarter over the next 10 years. This stronger management could help bring more... accountability to each staff member and teams as well as help each employee grow as an individual and a team member. The organization is also working harder to diversity funding streams and grow the donor base to boost fundraising and increase dollars to the field projects. Work/life balance is dependent upon each staff member. Some staff are quite balanced, while others maintain the workaholic culture that the organization had in its early years.

Advice to Management

Bring more transparency and accountability to the executive level, including established work plans and reviews. Offer management training to all staff managing even 1 staff member. Sell programs not projects to enable the organization to grow bigger faster and improve inefficiencies across the organization.

charity: water2016-12-13
  3. "Incredible staff and mission"

Former Employee - Manager

I worked at charity: water full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Getting to work with some of the most kind-hearted, intelligent people out there. Working toward a clear mission and seeing your impact when communities get access to clean, safe drinking water.

Cons

Lack of a clear career trajectory Limited resources to push projects forward

charity: water2019-07-16

""Yes, And...""

Former Employee - Key Relationships Officer in New York, NY

I worked at charity: water full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a "Yes, And" type of culture; the people who really thrive are excited to get to work ("Yes, I can get ABC to you on budget, on spectrum and on deadline...annnnd I can do XYZ to ensure excellence because I'm honored to contribute to what we're accomplishing here.") charity: water is the most unique organization I've been privileged to call "work." As the team has grown, working toward -- and achieving --... bigger + bolder goals, I'm continuously amazed that its strong, mission-centric culture still comes before all else. The people hired at c: w are truly passionate about their personal growth, are respectful to their colleagues, and dedicated to seeing the day no one dies from dirty water. Scott, Lauren, and the leadership team have genuinely built something special, and it's the type of place that you really only find once in your career. Another huge pro was senior leadership's intentional show of appreciation for their team. I was introduced to two of the most empowering supervisors I've ever known at charity: water, both deeply attentive to my professional advancement and supportive in giving feedback.

Cons

Like all fast-paced, high-impact businesses, charity: water moves quickly and brings on team members ready to hustle and take on a lot of responsibility. Which is a pro, but my only note here is to ensure new, mid-managers are trained to handle their own workload AND invest in the professional development of their direct reports. Overall, though, there's nothing negative I can comment about my time with c: w. It... was an incredible experience and one I'll forever be grateful to have had.

charity: water2019-05-13

"Mission & Heart"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at charity: water full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I don't believe you could find a more compassionate & talented group of people to work with. charity: water attracts uniquely kindhearted people who are not only giving of their talents, but of themselves. It's the kind of workplace where you can be with your co-workers all week and still say yes to hanging out on the weekend with them just for fun. From the beautiful offices with photos from the field to... the beautifully designed website and campaigns and the wonderful partnerships and friendships from around the world, Scott Harrison has created something incredibly beautiful. A mission the world can get behind.

Cons

Though the organization has grown & matured, there are many areas where they still function as a scrappy start up. They could improve project management, time management & efficiency, as well as improve how they work with contractors by keeping communications clear and open.

charity: water2019-01-25

"You’ll never find a place like it"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at charity: water full-time for more than a year

Pros

The mission is a beautiful one making most people motivated and excited to do their part. They also offer more flexibility than you’ll ever find! I never had a problem taking time off, working from home, working flexible hours, etc. They do their best to hire kind, good-hearted people- refreshing to be around them!

Cons

New York City is a tough place to live!

charity: water2019-01-25
  7. "Office Experience Intern"

I have been working at charity: water part-time

Pros

-valued -given real work to do -I can always ask questions and not be looked down for it -coworkers genuinely want me to cultivate skills -Not an uptight work environment -Very encouraging atmosphere

Cons

-Lack of company info given (systems, how it runs, exec members, etc.) at the beginning of the internship. You have to learn as you go, which is fine! But some aspect of training should be dedicated to this. Especially for this internship. -Unpaid internship (but that is common, still technically a con :))

8. "Values employees"

I have been working at charity: water full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is a heavy focus on employee morale. The staff feels like a group of friends. Every year there are dedicated days to innovation and making big change, which means that the staff has input on changes and can help inform next moves.

Cons

Not many worth mentioning. The organization is aware of the issues and is working to make improvements, which is all you can ask in the non profit sector.

charity: water2018-11-26

"A place to grow, a place to help grow"

I have been working at charity: water full-time for less than a year

Pros

Many! I feel valued as a thinker, problem-solver, and an individual. Despite how busy any one person may be, everyone is happy to share their knowledge and expertise in order to build a better functioning work community. The organizational commitment to transparency, both outward and inward, is admirable and should be an example to other development organizations. I feel proud working for an organization that does... so much good in the world while not tokenizing the people we are working to help, without any agenda but to make the world a better place. Very generous vacation and family leave policy (the best of any nonprofit I have encountered or worked for!). Lots of investment in culture and happiness.

Cons

There is a lot of working in isolated tracks departmentally which often means cross-departmental work is not always at its most efficient and has exacerbated a need to substantially invest in infrastructure - both in terms of personnel and in actual supportive systems and software. The org is sometimes lopsided in how it responds to the need to adapt and pivot, and less of the does it fall on the side of investments... (tech and engineering, for example) that will make the work more comfortably sustainable. I get it - this is the nonprofit world and so much of that comes at a steep cost - it's a tricky balance. Management is already paying attention for the growth areas needed in the organizational scaffolding.

Advice to Management

There tends to be lots of lingering on decision making for hiring such that we miss out on great candidates who can help us grow during this exciting time of tons of potential to expand our work. Streamlining not only the interviewing/hiring process, but decision making in general would be a huge benefit in allowing supportive org growth to match the pace of the work done outside HQ.

charity: water2018-11-26
  10. "Love love love this organization"

I have been working at charity: water full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Get to work towards a mission that actually matters - Everyone that works there is so talented and friendly - Fantastic benefits - Very open communication across the org - Always learning and iterating to make the org better is highly encouraged

Cons

I mean nothing is perfect, but overall there are no major deal breakers.

charity: water2018-07-19